Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Berliner Style Weisse - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Berliner Style WeisseBerliner Style Weisse

good

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Berliner Weissbier |  3.00% ABV

Beer added by: RblWthACoz on 05-29-2007

1.45/5  rDev -60.6%

Pours a very pale yellow, slight haze in the body. Head is white, quite creamy and dense with trails of lace here and there, not too sticky. Looks OK, yeah.

Smells foul. Sickly, pongy sweetness from the get-go with a sense of mouldy wet grain, honey and oatmeal. Just a fermented rice porridge character. Doesn't smell right at all, it's an absolute stinker.

Taste has a weird, possibly accidental sourness to it which is actually the highlight. Apple-esque with a lactic acidity on the front that's sour without being hugely tart, and ends up sort of weakly fruity. Finishes horribly sweet, with that fermented rice pudding flavour, oatmeal and honey notes. Off-balance, off-putting and just plain offal.

Watery thin and fairly plain. Not terrible texture but it's hard to keep this foul liquid in my mouth long enough to tell.

Two words. Actually is drain pour still two words or is it one, now? Drain pour, anyway. Ouch. (927 characters)

1.79/5  rDev -51.4%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Serving Type- bottle poured into a pint glass

appearance- a very very pale straw color. the head was decent at first, but quickly vanished, but that was expected.

smell- lemon

taste/mouthfeel- an OVERPOWERING flavor of lemon. it was almost like drinking lemon juice. I began to question the age of the bottle, but it seemed way to sour. The 1809 berliner was one of my girl friend's favorites and she loved the sour tart flavor, but even she could not manage this beer's extreme sour.

drinkability- I couldn't even finish the beer :( Also, such a low abv. Seems like it will be good for people who love lemons, but not suggested for most (642 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -46.7%

I had the Festina in this style and I wanted to try one more in the style before I dismissed it. Got this in bottle from Piece Brewery, Chicago.

There is only one word to describe this beer: TART. I felt like I was drinking lemon juice. This was a very unpleasant beer. It didn't smell very nice, and taste sure followed the smell. Appearance was fine, as was the mouthfeel...but I couldn't even finish this drink. It left a sticky, sugary residue in me mouth that spoiled every drink and the food after this one for the rest of the night.

If this is the style, A+ for making a beer in that style. However, I now can decide that it's a terrible style. I do not recommend this beer. (684 characters)

2.09/5  rDev -43.2%

Bottle from West Lakeview in Chicago. Served in a berliner bowl.

Pours a moderate-light golden color with a short white head and not too much in the way of lacing. The nose carries some bready malt and a very faint acidity. Not much going on. The flavor has a light breadiness and no real acidity. Perhaps a touch if I imagine it. This really does not get into the style. Light body and crisp carbonation; acidity is near negligible. Boring and way too plain. (460 characters)

2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

Pours a very murky and watery brown with absolutely zero head. Very spotty strands of lace on the drink down. Smells of wheat, slight lemon, and very faint vinegar. Taste is of wheat and weak lemon. Very little tartness for this beer, which is odd for this style. Good carbonation with a light, easy drinking body. This beer isn't too good. I was hoping for a tartness that just wasn't there. I would not recommend this one to anyone. (434 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

Pours a cloudy bland yellow with about an inch of head that quickly recedes and disappears.

Aroma of wheat and some kind of citrus. There's also a hint of corn in the smell.

Taste is...odd. Kind of like if you put lemon into a thin wheat beer. I can't say I hate it, but it tastes more like a weird cocktail than a beer. Honestly, the first taste was so strange that I almost rejoiced - "Yay, my first infected beer! A milestone in my beer geekdom!". Nope. Apparently, according to another review, this is how it's supposed to taste.

The aftertaste isn't enjoyable. It's like the aftertaste of tea with just a pinch too much lemon in it. Not

I don't think I'll have this one again. I might have a few sips of someone else's if they bought a bottle, just to revisit the bizarre flavor of this brew, but other than that I wouldn't want to venture another glass. (864 characters)

2.41/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours an exceptionally pale yellow, almost tending towards the colour of pear juice, very nearly transparent. Head forms in a filmy bump on the top of the glass, although it falls down to almost nothing. Body is exceptionally light. Fine carbonation. I like how light it is, otherwise it's a bit lacklustre.

Nose... Ooh dear. Yes there's some slightly rank acidity to it, but it's actually dominated by a really quite unpleasant corny adjunct/cereal character, that melds with a touch of floury yeast to give a really rancid aroma. Some green vegetative qualities to it, but the cereal/flour character is really unpleasant.

Taste is a bit better, giving a tartness on the front that snaps the palate a bit like tonic water. But after that, it just sings with that bland flouriness, and very little body whatsoever. Flat finish doesn't even give it the sparkle to be really refreshing. Blergh.

Not one of my favourite Berliner Weisses, and one which makes me question the genre yet again. Probably just really needs that woodruff syrup. (1,038 characters)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Maybe I got a bad bottle, but this beer tastes like corriander to me. Corriander has no place in a Berliner Weiss. At all. As a side note: I don't much like corriander.

Aside from that, the beer is pretty disappointing. There isn't much of a sour-bite at all. The beer has a slightly tart finish, but that is all. Otherwise the beer is very spicy, again with the corriander. I mean, it smells nice and wheaty the way it should but as soon as it hits your mouth it becomes a total and complete mess.

I like my Berliner Weisses wheaty and tart (like the Berliner Kindl), as opposed to a "slightly more mellow version of the [sic] with a beautiful balance of tartness, fruitness [sic], and sweetness". The last one, ehhh, I like to add on my own and the middle one, what the heck is that doing there?

I will say that if you like their Gose (I don't), you'll probably dig this beer.

Ohhh! Based on another reviewer's comments, I tried adding some Woodruff, and I have to say the beer improves dramatically! Still not the best of the style by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd bump the taste up to a solid three with the woodruff. (1,144 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -28.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My 500th review and rather than pick out a super special beer from the cellar I grabbed one of the few Berliner weisse beers I could find on the shelves. Ive become a big fan of the style so I was anxious to give this one a try. Unfortunately this was not a very nice example of the style and I'm not sure whether this is just a lousy beer or a poorly stored bottle.

A very unattractive beer..kind of a murky cider Color, without much head and no lace at all. Lots of chunky stuff and little dark brown floaties that fortunately sunk to the bottom of the glass quickly. Aroma is moody lactic and lemony, with a faint honey note underneath. The flavor follows the nose, but the honeyed sweetness is further up front, with a lighter lactic acid and lemon hit and just a trace of hay and general funk. Average, at best.

Body is thin but carbonation is a little lower than one might like and the beer is generally lacking in the crisply refreshing and tart feel of a better Berliner weisse. Finish is also not as clean as it should be. Overall pretty dissapointing.

I drank a lot of beers to get to 500 reviews and this was not one of the better ones. Not exactly forgettable, because I will definitely remember how subpar this one was. Oh well, live and learn I suppose. (1,270 characters)

2.71/5  rDev -26.4%

The Gose by this brewery is the best I had while in Leipzig. The Berliner Style Weisse is soured similarly to how the Gose is, which doesn't quite work for this style.

A: Yellow-straw with haze and little head retention. Color a bit dark for the style.

S: Here is where the beer starts to fall apart. The wortiness is heavy. A traditionally brewed Berliner Weisse is super-attenuated and highly carbonated. This beer smells unattenuated and sweet. The "funk" in the aroma is from their wort acidification technique, which isn't as "clean" as other Berliner Weisse styles. I always think of the now-shuttered Schultheiss brand as the pinnacle of Berliner Weisse brewing, even though it had more than just lactic acid in the beer, it was cleaner and crisper than this beer. There are lactic and acetic acids here, some sulfury notes from other bacteria gone wild and a lack of the typical saccharomyces and other yeast strains that "should" be there.

T: The aromatic deficiencies are mirrored in the flavor problems. The beer is sweet, a hint sour, and not particularly intriguing.

M: Not carbonated enough, not dry enough, and the body isn't light enough.

D: Fine if you are considering it a summer thirst quencher, but not a good rendition of a great and nearly dead beer style. The citizens of Berlin only have one offering in a city that consumed over a million hl of it at the turn of the 19th to the 20th Centuries. A shame. (1,434 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

This is the palest beer I've ever had I believe. Somewhere between clear and very pale golden. Very slightly hazy with an initial head that fades completely. The smell has faint lemon and grassiness. The taste is similar- very, very lightlemon and a hint of grassiness. The mouthfeel is crisp and soft and the body is very light. Somewhat drinkable, but so light and with a washed out citrus taste that is somewhat distracting. This is a nothing beer and dissappointingly soft for a Berliner Weisse- I like way more zing in the style. Don'teven think of adding syrup to this one- it would overwhelm what little flavor the beer has completely. (642 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Split a bottle into a rocks glass. Pours a very pale, lightly hazy yellow no head.

Nose is bright apple citrus.

Very delicate wheat sweetness, citrus, lightly tart. Overall very delicate and doesn't really establish itself terribly well. Fine carbonation and appropriately thin, somewhat dry body.

Meh, not impressed. Somehow too delicate for the style, which is odd, I know, but not nearly enough tartness compared to the gems I've had in the style. (453 characters)

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a slightly hazy pale straw color with a minimal white head. The smell is of wheat malt and lemony citrus. The taste is very light, kind of like lemon seltzer. A slight malt base to distinguish this beer from water. The feel is light and moderately fizzy, finishes very neutral almost water like. I'm not an expert on this style but knowing what it should be, I would have to say this doesn't hit the mark. It is barely tart or sour and adding any sweet syrup to this brew would make it grossly over balanced. (514 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured out of a bottle into a Weiss fishbowl chalice. Served cool

A-cloudy lemon drop body and a wisp of a white head.

S-lemon, medicinal and some faint bubblegum esters

T-lemon, Bazooka Joe bubblegum, herbal, hard candy finish.

M-light

D-very drinkable, I was somewhat expecting something sour but this isn't close. Drinkable though, nonetheless. (352 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured into my cup and received a very light gold (could see through it clearly when held to light) body with minimal head that died quickly and left little lacings. A mild citrus smell with some hops and yeast in it. A sour taste, a little too sour for my liking. The sourness overrode the wheat coming and ruined some of the smoothness of the beer. There was no backbite to me because of the sourness when first hit on the tongue. Still, a somewhat flavorful brew that with some citrus and wheat that was noticeable and it did go down alright. At 3% I wouldn't session this though - too weak. Just not my style I guess. (621 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

11.2oz small bottle poured into wine glass with Mexican byob tonight. Highly unimpressed.

Been fan of the style lately, having not been able to get enough of 1809 and Festina, but this just came off as bland.

A: Apple juice yellow, cloudy, with some sediment on the bottom of the glass. Thin lacing.

N: Smells of a bit of lemon and lime. Almost some detection of cilantro or other strong herb which came out of nowhere.

T: Sour, lemony and tart. Some sourness but I dont catch the sweetness or any of it to balance it out. Awfully one sided and needs some type of syrup additive to round it out.

M: Tartness takes over, dry, and one of the lighest and most watery beers I have had.

D: Light, can drink till cows come home but Id probably rather have grapefruit juice with a kick. Just not much to it, maybe Im missing something? I think it needs the sugar syrup.

Refreshing but not what I was hoping for or had anticipated. (931 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

Berliner Style Weisse

Served in polycarbonate snifter, which is perfect when grilling dinner.

A: Pours clear straw with a big fluffy head that dies immediately. Good effervescence.

S: Course grains like straw or hay, maybe even like Cheerios Next, I detect a peculiar aroma that is a hybrid of brettanomyces and oxidation, strengthening the impression that this beer is rustic. Fruitiness and Lactic sourness are surprisingly low key.

T: The aforementioned malt characteristics touch palate then lactic sourness courses over tongue. The funky/oxidized note joins in. Very little fruitiness and wheat tang. Reasonably clean finish although grain and oxidation persist.

M: Light body and relatively light carbonation. Pretty limp.

O. I am pretty sure I bought an old bottle, which might be the price one pays for loving such an unappreciated style. Still, the style generally holds up well to aging, so the review will stand. Hopefully, I find some fresh bottles and have reason to revise this review.  (1,015 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -15.2%

Served to me in a large wine glass. Not sure if that is right, but...

A - Light, hazy golden yellow. About 2 finger thick of head. Decent lacing.

S - Malts, wheats, and citrus (mostly lemon).

T - Definitely citrusy, almost tart. Wheat and malts are present. Not what I expect from a hefe.

M - Carbonated, light body.

Overall, it is definitely a unique Hefe, but the ABV is oddly low. That makes it taste too much like a juice to me. One is enough and I'd probably pass on it the next time I saw it. (503 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottled: unknown, but I'm looking forward to trying this beer, as it was not available at my time there.

Pours a lively light yellow ale with four fingers of lingering white foam. Smells of light lactic acid and almost a sour milk smell. Actually quite pleasant when paired with the wheat tones. Flavor is mealy with some nice subdued lactic sourness and hints of a yogurt tone honestly. It's okay, but nothing special. Medium bodied with hi carb and an off dry finish. Nice beer, not as good as their Gose, IMO. (513 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -14.9%

Clear light golden colored, the beer has a thin, white head that leaves minimal lacing. Fruity and slightly musty aroma. The beer lacks the funky and/or lactic presence I have come to enjoy in beers of this ilk. The body is thin, with light carbonation, subtle zestiness. Average. Difficult to finish the bottle. I won't order this again. (338 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

11.2oz bottle.

Poured a medium and hazy/cloudy yellow color with a larger sized white head. Aromas of yeast, bready, dried out lemon peels, and wet/musty wheat (almost like a pile of horse manure). Tastes of wheat and lemons. Verly light tart finished. Description was spot on with '...more mellow version of the Berliner Weisse style...;.

Notes from 6/6/08 (360 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -14.4%

A-semi cloudy pale to amber color with small creamy white head.

S-a bit of the citrus smell up from with a strong wheat sweetness. Almost has a whiskey like smell to it that I cannot place exactly. kinda funny.

T-tartness with a pretty sweet wheat almost corn flavor. Has a diacytal taste (buttered popcorn aftertaste). I enjoy the tartness and the wheat but cannot get past the diacytal...

M-pretty full bodied for a low abv beer.really just the aftertaste that bothers me but makes this hard to drink. I will buy another and re review. (540 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Bottle thanks to Eric. Pours a cloudy yellow color with a small, almost no head. The aroma is fairly sweet; lots of honey and grains, and some light lemon notes. The flavor was much tarter; loads of lemon, acidic and citrus flavors. Some balance achieved by the sweet honey and malt flavors, lots of grains. Very interesting. Quite acidic but also very drinkable and smooth. (374 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -13%

12 oz bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Pours a pale golden color with a mild haze and a single finger of loose white head that retains poorly and leaves no lacings.

Aroma is of a light acidity with a touch of wet-hay like funk and some wheaty yeast in the background.

Taste follows the nose with a flabby character and not as much snap as the aroma would suggest. The funk is almost non-existant but shows up a bit on the back end. The back of the bottle describes it as 'softer and more mellow' than others of the style, and that is spot on. dissapointing.

Mouthfeel is light bodied and smooth with a mildly sweet character. Could use more acidity.

Drinkability is decent. A good starter into the Berliner Weiss style, but it ends up flat and without any distinct characteristics. (796 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 9/13/2012

Poured into a glass chalice.

It pours a murky, yellow-brown color - kind of like straw. There's one finger's worth of head and it disappears within seconds. No retention and no lacing whatsoever. There's citrus on the nose with some yeasty bread as well, but not much going on. The first thing that hits me is the carbonation which is very aggressive. Then the tartness hits me...it's very tart and the depth of flavour isn't quite there to balance it out or back it up. I find that i'm puckering more than i'm savoring it. There's some lemon and orange going on and overall, it's a refreshing berliner, but that's about all it has going for it. It's a one-trick pony and far from special. (709 characters)

Berliner Style Weisse from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof