Goseator - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website

Gose |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 10-07-2012

Aged in Tequilla barrels for six months.
Reviews by AltBock:
2.98/5  rDev -7.5%

12.7 oz. green bottle with a green cap and a plain small white label. The label just has the brewery's usual label of a German man with a Pilsner glass full of beer while he's sneezing Batman style. Right below that is where they tell you that it's a Doppelbock aged in Tequila barrels. The only other stuff on the label is the mandatory US info.

I poured this barrel aged Doppelbock into a non discreet Pilsner glass. Out of the bottle came a muddy water brown/orange like colored beer. From the looks of the beer, it looks like the brewery drained a swamp and put the left over water in the bottle. If it wasn't for the 1/4 of an inch paper white head of foam, I would have thought that this was swamp water. This head of foam had acceptable retention that left behind a good sized string of rings along the side. This beer isn't eye candy. Hopefully it doesn't taste like it looks.

If you know what a good Doppelbock smells like, take that idea and throw it out the window. This beer smells nothing like that. If wasn't an offensive smell. It was just weird and not in a good way. It had an aroma that reminded me of orange juice. It was on the citrusy side. Behind the orange juice was a dash of salt, a splash of spearmint, a subtle hint of oak, and a gentle whiff of tequila. I thought the tequila would take over the aroma and run with it. Not this bottle. Too citrusy and weird for my nose.

This is one of those beers where it tasted like it smelled. There wasn't much of a difference between the two. Up front was the citrus. It didn't taste like orange juice. Following the citrus flavor was a pinch of salt and a soft taste of oak and tequila. Like a tidal wave, in comes the yeast. The yeast was the one that took over this beer. I thought the tequila would rise up and take some control, but ultimately it was the yeast that took over. Not enough Doppelbock flavors or tequila for that matter. More tequila and salt would have done this beer a little justice.

Despite this beer clocking in at a somewhat high 10.5% ABV (according to the label), this was a medium bodied beer with yeast/citrus heavy aftertaste. This beer does mask the aftertaste. I'll give them that one.

I wasted a good deal of money on this weak Doppelbock. Even if this beer was labeled correctly as a Gose, it's still weak and overpriced. This is something I wouldn't waste money on again and I strongly suggest that you don't either. Don't be fooled by the aged in tequila barrels. Tequila isn't my beverage of choice, but I wish it made more of an appearance in this beer.

1.57/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Possibly the worst beer that I've ever had. If you like vomit, rancid grapefruit, and cheap tequila, this beer is for you!

Pours pale gold, with a bright white head. Aromas of rotting grapefruit, cheap tequila, vomit, and rubbing alcohol abound. The flavor starts off with a nice wave of sourness, followed by vomit, wood, cheap tequila, and artificial citrus. It honestly made me gag.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Not much of a smell, but the taste is that of a barrel aged tequila with a touch of lime and toasted malt. Not much gose to speak of but for a faint bit of salt. Really not much dopplebock either. I do like the taste. This one makes for a nice summer sipper, but I am not sure if I would get it again with the high price point.

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

3.27/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful orange-gold color with extra nice white fizzy head. Aroma is earthy with hints of agave. The aging in tequila barrels really comes through in this one. Nice Gose, just a touch to grassy for me...

4.13/5  rDev +28.3%

This is the strangest beer I've had in a long time. The sourness of the gose combines with the tequila barrel in such a bizarre way I could swear I tasted something sweet like vanilla or light chocolate. Maybe it's from the oak. I didn't detect and alcohol burn. I wouldn't drink this one all night, but it was definitely fun to try! Give it a go, if you come across it.

3.57/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dirty beige color Gose with a huge off-white head with excellent retention and some good lacing. Aroma of salt and light coriander notes with light Tequila and agave notes with a light citrusy finish. Taste is way saltier then I had anticipated with less Tequila notes then I was expecting. Coriander is quite subtle with a finish that brings out the lime and agave notes. Body is quite full with strong carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I must admit that this beer is a unique experience that I enjoyed somewhat but don’t necessarily need to repeat on a regular basis.

1.89/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

An unfortunate/expensive choice from Bittercreek (Draft from the '15 FunkFest)... I knew better.. Why did I bite? Tickers gone tick. :-)

Fairly clear amber brew... Nose is agave and perfumy oak... Stewed fruit... Terrible. Flavor is the same but with an unexpected hot garbage wretch in the middle.. thick apricot and caramel malt with agave and bad tequila.. Thick with little carbonation triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it..

No redeeming qualities.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is hazy dark yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short off white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: The aroma is slightly musty and has light to moderate aromas of oak, tequila and salt. If you close your eyes it almost smells like a margarita, except for the oak.
T: Like the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of oak along with notes of tequila and hints of salt. The tequila gets a bit stronger as the beer warms up.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this beer to be quite enjoyable because it blended all of the flavors well together. It also hides the alcohol rather well, which is surprising since a gose is usually a light-bodied beer.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I found this at the Bierkoning in Amsterdam. It is the first Gose that I ever found there. With my newly found love of gose, I had to buy this. I liked the refreshing salty and sour taste of the same breweries original gose. Of course from this here is to expect something completely different. I am well aware that the "ator" ending is used for rather strong malty beers in Germany. Furthermore, Tequila barrel aging, wtf! I do not think I will like it, but let's bring it on.
Poured this in my current favourite Brasserie Thiriez tall tulip.

Nice offwhite fine bubbled foam of a few fingers that reduces to a delicate thin layer and then vanishes leaving only a slightly murky orangebrown body with some fine bubbles.

Smell is mainly Tequila and oak, slightly salty and some malts pushing through.

Taste is pleasantly sour, way milder than an oude geuze and even a flemish red. Sourness starts out citrussy and moves to salty sourness in the aftertaste that has more of a lactic acid flavor. Oak is defintely there and some malt as well but the latter rather faintly.

Feel is a bit thin, foaming carbonation as you swallow and creamy foam saves the day here.

I am really surprised that I like this. It is not an easy one but it is very different and rather brave and I appreciate that a lot. Again as with the regular Gose, saltiness is not overpowering but you rather have to go looking for it. The Tequila and oak flavor is nothing I would have invited into this beer, but it works somehow. For me this beer is very well balanced against all odds of letting tequila, salt and oak particpate. To sum it up: Interesting!

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%