Goseator - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website

Gose |  8.50% ABV

Beer added by: UCLABrewN84 on 10-07-2012

Aged in Tequilla barrels for six months.
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

1.57/5  rDev -51.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Possibly the worst beer that I've ever had. If you like vomit, rancid grapefruit, and cheap tequila, this beer is for you!

Pours pale gold, with a bright white head. Aromas of rotting grapefruit, cheap tequila, vomit, and rubbing alcohol abound. The flavor starts off with a nice wave of sourness, followed by vomit, wood, cheap tequila, and artificial citrus. It honestly made me gag.

2.25/5  rDev -30.1%

3.89/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Not much of a smell, but the taste is that of a barrel aged tequila with a touch of lime and toasted malt. Not much gose to speak of but for a faint bit of salt. Really not much dopplebock either. I do like the taste. This one makes for a nice summer sipper, but I am not sure if I would get it again with the high price point.

1.5/5  rDev -53.4%

3.27/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Beautiful orange-gold color with extra nice white fizzy head. Aroma is earthy with hints of agave. The aging in tequila barrels really comes through in this one. Nice Gose, just a touch to grassy for me...

4.13/5  rDev +28.3%

This is the strangest beer I've had in a long time. The sourness of the gose combines with the tequila barrel in such a bizarre way I could swear I tasted something sweet like vanilla or light chocolate. Maybe it's from the oak. I didn't detect and alcohol burn. I wouldn't drink this one all night, but it was definitely fun to try! Give it a go, if you come across it.

3.57/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy dirty beige color Gose with a huge off-white head with excellent retention and some good lacing. Aroma of salt and light coriander notes with light Tequila and agave notes with a light citrusy finish. Taste is way saltier then I had anticipated with less Tequila notes then I was expecting. Coriander is quite subtle with a finish that brings out the lime and agave notes. Body is quite full with strong carbonation and no apparent alcohol. I must admit that this beer is a unique experience that I enjoyed somewhat but don’t necessarily need to repeat on a regular basis.

1.89/5  rDev -41.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

An unfortunate/expensive choice from Bittercreek (Draft from the '15 FunkFest)... I knew better.. Why did I bite? Tickers gone tick. :-)

Fairly clear amber brew... Nose is agave and perfumy oak... Stewed fruit... Terrible. Flavor is the same but with an unexpected hot garbage wretch in the middle.. thick apricot and caramel malt with agave and bad tequila.. Thick with little carbonation triggers my gag reflex just thinking about it..

No redeeming qualities.

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%

3.3/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.88/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A: The beer is hazy dark yellow in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a short off white head that died down but consistently left a thin head covering the surface.
S: The aroma is slightly musty and has light to moderate aromas of oak, tequila and salt. If you close your eyes it almost smells like a margarita, except for the oak.
T: Like the smell, the taste has lots of flavors of oak along with notes of tequila and hints of salt. The tequila gets a bit stronger as the beer warms up.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I found this beer to be quite enjoyable because it blended all of the flavors well together. It also hides the alcohol rather well, which is surprising since a gose is usually a light-bodied beer.

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.1/5  rDev -3.7%

3.58/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.5/5  rDev +8.7%

3.56/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.84/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I found this at the Bierkoning in Amsterdam. It is the first Gose that I ever found there. With my newly found love of gose, I had to buy this. I liked the refreshing salty and sour taste of the same breweries original gose. Of course from this here is to expect something completely different. I am well aware that the "ator" ending is used for rather strong malty beers in Germany. Furthermore, Tequila barrel aging, wtf! I do not think I will like it, but let's bring it on.
Poured this in my current favourite Brasserie Thiriez tall tulip.

Nice offwhite fine bubbled foam of a few fingers that reduces to a delicate thin layer and then vanishes leaving only a slightly murky orangebrown body with some fine bubbles.

Smell is mainly Tequila and oak, slightly salty and some malts pushing through.

Taste is pleasantly sour, way milder than an oude geuze and even a flemish red. Sourness starts out citrussy and moves to salty sourness in the aftertaste that has more of a lactic acid flavor. Oak is defintely there and some malt as well but the latter rather faintly.

Feel is a bit thin, foaming carbonation as you swallow and creamy foam saves the day here.

I am really surprised that I like this. It is not an easy one but it is very different and rather brave and I appreciate that a lot. Again as with the regular Gose, saltiness is not overpowering but you rather have to go looking for it. The Tequila and oak flavor is nothing I would have invited into this beer, but it works somehow. For me this beer is very well balanced against all odds of letting tequila, salt and oak particpate. To sum it up: Interesting!

3.4/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

1.41/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 1

12.7 fl oz green glass (come on!) bottle with green standard pressure cap acquired at K&L wine in Hollywood and served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are low; this sounds terrible - "Double-Bock Ale Brewed with Spice and Matured in Tequila Oak Barrels". 8.5% ABV confirmed. Ingredients include coriander and salt. Product of Germany. I've been to this brewery before; that was the first place I tried Gose.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a 5+ finger beige colour head of fair cream, fair thickness, and good (5+ minute) retention for the high ABV. Body colour is a transparent translucent vibrant pale yellow. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Generally appealing.

Sm: Lime, salt, pale malts, tequila, cilantro. Sweet Jesus that aroma is terrible. Like, fuck, that is unappealing. Fairly strong. What have I gotten myself into?

T: Salt. Tequila. Lime. It isn't great, but all the notes are genuine; they don't feel like artificial lime syrup or anything like that. I don't get any oak. Pale malts. Light funkiness. Boy, this is really bad. Some alcohol comes through. I don't get any yeast. Not at all balanced. Poorly built. I kind of want to vomit just drinking it. Bleh. I don't like this at all. I don't mind a good gose, but this is abhorrent.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Good carbonation. Decent thickness. Poor palate presence.

Dr: Man, this is bad. I'm gonna power through and avoid drain-pouring it, but it's really testing me. Hot damn. Not at all recommended. Please avoid at all costs. The worst beer I've had since Black Crown. I wanted to love this, but damn is it terrible. Maybe worth cooking with. Ugh. Really hard to drink.

Goseator from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof