Freigeist / Bayerischer Bahnhof Geisterzug Gose - Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof

Freigeist / Bayerischer Bahnhof Geisterzug Gose
No picture uploaded.

Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof visit their website
Germany

Gose |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: popery on 11-30-2012)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

ImFlyerThanYou, Jun 28, 2014

rbrefbeerman, Dec 16, 2012
3.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Served in a stemmed wine goblet at The Trappist Provisions in Berkley, Ca.

Note: Served as the Freigeist Geisterzug Gose, brewed in conjunction with Bayerischner Bahnhof.

Appearance: Very pleasing, dense, stark-white head characteristic of wheat beers. Has moderate retention and boils down to a very pleasing, even layer of residual foam. Unfiltered brew, a sunny orange through the middle and golden yellow towards the edges.

Smell: Banana-like esthers on the front-end with a touch of coriander and earthy wheat. I also get something else, maybe peach or other summer fruit?

Taste: Definite taste of coriander and mineral-savoriness of salt. Malt profile is low with a subtle spiciness on the back end. No detectable hop bitterness, this brew opens up with coriander again on the finish. Definite phenolic taste from the yeast - a bit of banana fading to spice.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied - likely my mouth's reaction to the saltiness.

Overall: Not my cup of tea. As a disclaimer, I am not that familiar with the range of the gose style. I've had a few (mostly American-ized) and I didn't enjoy the Geisterzug as much as the others I've had - that being said I'm far from an expert on the style. This brew was much saltier than I would have liked and I didn't really get the any notes of spruce either in the aroma or taste. I'd be interested in revisting this beer at a later date but for now I'll assume its a bit over my head.

iD9, Jan 14, 2013

DAS30, Jan 02, 2014

George2744, Mar 16, 2014
3.98/5  rDev +12.7%

Interesting beer. I think it's a collaboration with Freigeist Bierkultur, but the label just lists Braustelle Köln, and I have no idea if there's any separation between the two. Anyway, the beer pours a slightly dark shade of yellow, maybe goldenrod. It's quite hazy. The head is white and puffs up nicely, before fading away relatively quickly. It looks a bit fizzy but pretty good for the style. The aroma is a pleasant mix of yogurt, spice, pine, wheat, lemons and floral hops. The spicing is fairly subtle, just a mild, mostly coriander note. The pine isn't strong but definitely adds something over the regular gose. The taste is lightly tart, dry and full. It's quite refreshing. Like the rest of the beer, the salt is subtle and blends well into the other flavors. The spice is a bit more noticeable in the finish. You get a decent hit of coriander, there, probably helped along by the salt. The feel is softly effervescent. Lots of gentle bubbles. Very nice for the beer. This was a fun one. I always like to try interesting beers, and a gose filtered over pine needles is definitely interesting. While it didn't blow me away and the pine needle thing doesn't really seem to contribute a ton, it's still a very nice beer. I wish we saw more of these fun takes on traditional styles.

popery, Nov 30, 2012
Freigeist / Bayerischer Bahnhof Geisterzug Gose from Gasthaus & Gosebrauerei Bayerischer Bahnhof
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.