Coopers Sparkling Ale - Coopers Brewery Limited

good

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

English Pale Ale |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-23-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Sparkling Ale Alström Bros
2.2/5  rDev -38.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1

In a thinly veiled attempt to bump my countries reviewed stats up a notch, it's Coopers Sparkling Ale time. I hope it's better than I remember.

Bought refrigerated at a Summerhill LCBO in Toronto, kept refrigerated since then, and with a best before date somewhere in 2011.

A careful pour leaves the lees behind in the bottle resulting in a nice, clear, golden orange ale with a thin, nicely retaining head. Minimal head retention. Zero lacing.

Smells mildly skunked, and I get more of a Belgian pale ale than an English pale ale from the aroma. Hints of lemongrass and sweetly toasted malt and some earthy hops

Same for the taste. The yeast dominates and imparts more of a Beligain aspect than anything English. There's something fruity and appley and waxy about it. Finishes dry.

The carbonation level is high and keeps things light and spritzy and might almost be a blessing in how it detracts from the taste.

Yeah. Turns out, two or so years later I still don't like this. I don't think I'll ever come back to it for any reason.

2.28/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottle: Poured a bright clear golden color ale with a medium foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of dry cereal with light lingering sweetness. Taste is also dominated by some unrefined malt notes and light sweetness with a dry finish with no discernible hops. Body is about average with good carbonation. Nothing to write home about at the end of the day with a sub-standard malt bill.

3.28/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy honey color with a massive head that leaves a good bit of remembrance

Smell: Crackery malt with a yeasty element and a tea-like character

Taste: Crackery, up front, with a developing sweet and metallic bitter character that is somewhat tea-like; after the swallow, the metallic character builds into the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I just cannot warm up to the flavors in this beer - though unusual and a style-defier, I would prefer a more traditional English Pale Ale hop bill to balance out the other flavors

3.9/5  rDev +9.2%

First non-Fosters Aussie beer. Not sure what the "sparkling ale" is supposed to mean - sparkling water or sparkling wine, I can understand, but 'ale'? Eh, we'll see.

The bottle warned me of sediment, and i tried to keep it out, but failed, so I poured it all in. Pours an opaque peach colour, a thin ring of head, a little bit of lacing. Sediment is suspended throughout the glass, with a little bit collecting near the base.

The nose is yeasty with a little bit of malt and citrus (orange).

The taste is quite good actually; the fruit notes work quite well together. This is a hard beer to pin down, but the balance is solid. The sediment provides a little bit of late bitterness.

Mouthfeel is thin, but the sediment provides a little bit of grit. I'll probably avoid pouring it in next time. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not my thing.

Despite the name, I'm fairly impressed with this brew. It's unique enough to not be pencilled in as an EPA, but something else entirely. Worth a try, probably will pick up a few more myself!

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

A. Poured cloudy amber with the yeast sediment. No sparkling here.

S. Aroma of yeast, bread and slight tartness, maybe Citrusy.

T. Solid bitter-sweet flavour, light bodied; spicy hoppy finish with a citrusy touch.

M. Light to medium body, a bit creamy, soft carbonation. Kind of a nice balance.

D. A session beer for sure....just watch out for the sediment.

C. So far im impressed with Coopers, not a world beater, a nice change of pace brewery.

4.4/5  rDev +23.2%

A- A gentle pour yielded a thin white head, which quickly receded to a haze layer and some nice edge lacing. The body is a slightly hazy, pale honey color, with some persistent bubble trains observed from the sides of the glass.

S- Delicate aromas of crackerlike malt and low-alpha hops combine in the nose, with even more restrained aromas of honey and a hint of wood.

T- The pale malt quickly takes second-fiddle to the "bright" hop bitterness in the mouth. Restrained grassy flavors emerge, but are then quickly overtaken by a long dry and mildly bitter finish. If my palate is not deceiving me, I am detecting low levels of wood tannins in the finish as well.

M- Light in body, well-attenuated, yet the abundant soft carbonation and dreggs create a creamy texture, and keeps this beer interesting in the mouthfeel department.

D- A very quaffable brew that is quite refreshing! I could enjoy this year-round! While this is classified as an English Pale Ale here, I am hard-pressed to judge it against Pale Ales made in the UK as this classic has almost established itself as a one-beer-style... and it is absolutley delightful!

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Certianly looks like a pale ale. If anything more like the American version. Cloudy aprocot golden in color with a fizzy bone white head and little bits of lacing.

Citrus with a bit of twang from the yeasts, lot's of sweetish pale malt in there as well. Very rich and balanced aroma.

Balanced yet quite complex. Lot's of flavours going on here from lemon to grapefruit bitterness to sweetbread malts. Finishes quite dry, but malt does tend to stick around too. %.8% abv is noticeable, but doesn't distract.

Was a bit watery in the middle once the carbonation settled down. Does seem to go flat rather quickely.

EXPENSIVE @ $18.99 cdn/6 but still a refreshing pale ale.

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Served into a skinny pint glass at the Outback Steakhouse in Pinehurst, NC. This was my first time at the national chain and my first time with a Coopers. Waiter provided a chilled (gah!) glass with the bottle. I waited to see the freeze come off the glass and I then poured this deep golden bevvy into the provided glass. Slight haze and a gorgeous golden hue were revealed after a one finger stark white head settle.

Smelled a tinge of lemon... in a good way. Wet pretzel/freshly opened saltine sweet/yeast/alcoholness.

The alcohol taste component of this is that perfect balance that I remember in beer as a kid. The kind of alcoholic poison taste that results in ulitamte refreshment. Not boozy by any means, but certainly not lost. Very smooth all around with a perfect malty stick and clean hop finish.

Mouth is lively and very refreshing. This has all the crispness that I like in some of the Dutch Pils/Lagers yet they Dutchy stuff gets bitter and skunky when you pound. I could see myself enjoying the refreshment of these a few times over. Almost like Appolinaris with a gorgeous beer taste thrown in. And minus the sodium. Yeah, that sounds bad.. but I assure it's not.

To me, this is one of those genius brews. Whether the brewery knows people receive this stuff as such might be a surprise to them, but I love this kind of "easy drinking" beer that is simultaneously elegant. I could give this to my father and he wouldn't be like, "Tastes like vomit!" and I could give this to a beer geek friend and they could still pick it apart. A beer for all seasons I'd say and one I hope to run into again in the near future.

3.98/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a cloudy orange with tons of small sediment specks sunk to the bottom and a thin white head up top. Smells like warm sourdough bread fresh out of the oven; very yeasty. Sourdough bread on the palate as well, with a curious green apple and herbaceous bitterness on the finish. Very interesting. It is definitely refreshing.

4.7/5  rDev +31.7%

I love Cooper's Sparkling Ale, though I must admit the first few times I drank it I didn't like it much at all! I was ignorant to the fact that the sediment in the bottle needs to be mixed through the beer to get the full taste. I also found that it tastes quite a lot better out of a glass, while Coopers Pale Ale can be enjoyed thoroughly in a glass OR straight out of the bottle.

I would strongly recommend holding the bottle upside down for about 10 seconds, until you see that all of the yeast sediment has passed from the bottom right up to the neck of the bottle. Then leave it to stand another 10 seconds before opening. I tried this once without the sediment and it was fairly underwhelming and tasted average. I'm not a beer connoisseur by any means, but I've tried a few other ales with good reputations and while I've enjoyed some of them greatly, I always come back to Coopers Sparkling Ale. Mind you I drank many of these before I began to really appreciate the uniqueness and fantastic taste.

I'm not saying this is the best beer in the world, of course... but from what I've tried, this is my personal favourite. I'd also recommend Little Creatures Pale Ale and of course Coopers Pale Ale to people looking for a decent Australian beer.

4.33/5  rDev +21.3%

Poured into a Sam Adams "bubble" glass
Hazy gold in color, big foamy head. Sediment poured into glass
Aroma-Subtle fruits and biscuit
Taste-very smooth, notes of buttery biscuit and slight fruitiness-very refreshing and drinkable, almost creamy in the finish.
Overall, a very pleasant enjoyable brew-would be a great "starter" beer for craft beer newbies

4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a hazy deep straw colour with a thick, marshmallow head. Good head retention dissipating to a half centimeter. Good lacing.

Fairly sweet with fruity apple and pear notes. Herbal hop aromas are also present. A pleasant, enticing nose.

A nicely balanced pale ale with malt sweetness teaming with fruity yeast esters and a light bitterness. A light tartness refreshes the palate to help make this an easy drinking beer.

A medium body and average carbonation make for a crisp, refreshing beer.

Tasty, refreshing and crisp. This is an easy quaffer with great drinkability.

2.65/5  rDev -25.8%

At outback steakhouse, I wasn't expecting anything decent for beer selection, but I was happy to see an Australian made ale on the menu. Waitress was actually pretty knowledgeable and "warned" me that the yeast sediment is normal and in fact tasty. Well, I wasn't expecting much so I made sure to disturb the yeast sediment to squeeze as much flavor out of this bottle I possibly could. Into a frosted pint, (typical chain restaurant) this ale is cloudy pale with a thin head. Yeast clouds this beer up, but there is some clumpy brown yeast chunks that sink to the bottom that aren't too pleasing.

Aroma is very strange. It has a clear cleaning product character to it, which is weird. It's exactly like oxyclean. Yeast character is very plain and characterless. It smells like the yeast at the bottom of the fermenter of a batch where yeast wasn't supposed to have any role or character in the beer. As it warms up, there is a slight citric hop shining through.

Flavor is just plain, and doesn't have much character to it. Plain bitterness from hops and toasty, grainy malt flavor that is pretty plain. Mouthfeel is light with a tickling carbonation.

This is one of those beers that fits only because it's Australian and I'm at an Australian themed restaurant (think Peroni at an Italian place). I'll say that if you aren't expecting much and you appreciate trying to match your beers that way, this isn't an awful beer. As far as reviewing it as an English Pale, I can't recommend it.

3.63/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle into a pint glass. Minimal white head, but nice lacing. Hazy golden color, nothing real special with the appearance.

A pretty mild smell, faint hops with a taste to match. Goes down smooth with minimal aftertaste... certainly drinkable.

I think I might have waited too long on this one, it's not a bad beer but just doesn't stand out to me at all.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Hazy caramel colored body, with a thin head that dissipates into mediocre lacing.

Nice sweet caramel like aromas, with a twang of lemony hops.

The beer's a little on the sour side, with leftovers from the yeast. There are some citrusy soft drink characteristics here.

Wetting to the palate, and has a powdery dryness at the same time.

Kind of a refreshing brew, and makes a decent impression.

3.93/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma is of some maltiness...some citrus....

Taste is pretty true to style. A good dose of malt with toffee characteristics. Some citrus seems to be here as well...lemon. A light bit of toastiness on the finish appears, with the finish having somewhat of an assertive hop bitterness for style. All in all though, very refreshing and tasty.

Nothing offensive here at all. Just a good quaffer.

3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

Amber in color with very little head, just a collar at the end. Not a lot of smell for me. I had tried Coopers Sparkling Ale about a month ago and didn't care for it. So I'm drinking one now with the intention of reviewing it. Guess what? Apparently, it grew on me and I like it. It has a carbonation bite at the back of the tongue, as the "Sparkling" implies. It reminds me of a lager in both feel and drinkability.

3.23/5  rDev -9.5%

Light gold color with tons or prickle. This development is not surprising since it is named "Sparkling Ale." Mildly fruity nose and smoe sweet malt in the nose as well. Plenty of grain and hops presence in the flavor and in the mouthfeel. Some sharpness to the flavor and a lingering taste on the back of the tongue that I just can't place and is a little bit "off." I can't identify right now. There is an alcohol like burn to the finish, aftertaste and mouthfeel. It is is unique, or at least uncommon for me. If that hidden flavor wasn't nagging at me so much and/or was absent from the beer I would say it was a very good light beer. The strange flavor really is dragging it down for me. I would drink it again however and would like to share it with some friends.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

I m impressed Australian beers seem to be underrated. This is almost like a Belgian Pale Ale - hoppy AND refreshing:

A - A very beautiful cloudy golden colour

S - Hops, hay, clove, some subtle fruit - sehr gut

T - Yes I can taste the hops and the hay - summerfresh and it is natur belassen

M - Medium carbonation much better than many English pale ales, more like a Belgian one NOT flat

D - HIGH - VERY HIGH

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Pours a pale gold colour with billowing haze throughout and a marshmallowy head that sits atop it like cappuccino froth, thick and foamy and dense. Slow bead runs up through the haze. Looks nice.

Nose has a quite thick POW smell with a light sweetness, hints of honey and treacle and maybe a slightly insipid apple juice character. Smell is decent, but not great, a little too Pride of Ringworm for me.

Taste is quite muddy, with malt being conspicuously absent from the flavours. A slight grain character but mostly a long, bitter POR flavour that leaves quite an alkaline hang with a very mild spice as well. Perhaps a hint of pepper without the spice - just the flavour. Very gritty, yeasty flavour, although without that bread yeast character so it's tolerable. Quite clean for most of the palate but finish is a bit dirty.

Mouthfeel is a bit flat, but feels slick. Unusual, really, given the sediment and the carbonation, but it goes down pretty smoothly.

Overall it does suffer from the hop usage, but it tastes very natural with an organic bitterness, and a distinct lack of adjunct sweetness. Fairly smooth and drinkable, if not delectable.

3.88/5  rDev +8.7%

An imposing 750ml bottle with a metallic label. The label has a date of B/Best- 23-02-09. With a date like this I am assuming it is a before best date, but the price was only like $3NZD so a worthy gamble. I have enjoyed the other beer in the brand so this was a done deal.

Appearance- A deep yellow body with an excessive amount of carbonation, leading to a satisfying hiss when uncapping the bottle. A limited amount of head retention and a little haziness for the bottle sediments on the first pour. The 2nd and last glass yield an even cloudier brew even with decanting, inherit with trying to pour from a large bottle.

Smell- A moderate dose of hops with a bit of yeast nose. The hops are the familiar style to typical ones you would expect in an English Pale Ales. The yeast is just the result for the bottle conditioning. There is a slight wiff of oxidation/cardboard packaging, but that I assume is from its slight overdue age.

Taste- A moderate hoppiness, stronger than most English Pale Ales with a pounced bitterness. There is a solid light malt base to counter the hopping. The yeast is there to counter the malt and hops. In fact the complexity of the brew comes from this tug of war between the EPA and the bottle conditioning that makes this beer interesting and gives it a unique character beyond the other bottle conditioned ales from England. Quite a good showing.

Mouthfeel- A slightly drying finish with a bitter contribution from the hopping and the yeast. The carbonation helps lighten the mouthfeel and reduces the slickness feel.

Drinkability- This beer is quite exceptional. That being said I would go out of my way to find this beer. Even with a questionable date, it has been kept fresher from the cold storage at the store and the nature of bottle conditioning. It was a treat and really hit the spot. Although its not a typical bottle conditioned English Pale Ale, it is a refreshing change for those fans of the style.

4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

Served up at the Mellow Mushroom in downtown Augusta, GA.

A quite distinctive 12.7 oz. brown bottle shows a layer of yeast sediment when held to the light. Bottle conditioning? A good sign! The label confirms things, and suggests swirling the bottle and pouring the yeast into the beer, which is very much my style. B-vitamins are all the rage.

Poured into a pint glass, the beer shows a moderately clear golden hue with a finger of white foam resting atop. The head fades a little too quickly, though, and fails also to hold on to the sides of the glass, leaving no lace behind; this could have more to do with a too-cold glass, though.

Some grassy, herbal hop notes waft into the nose, with a slight hint of green apple skin intermingling.

Moderately light in body, with a moderate and slightly tingly carbonation. Mildly sweet, toasty malt notes show up front before meeting up with more hop notes that match those in the nose, toying around with some faintly spicy, pepper phenolic notes. Finishes with a mildly dry, slight bitter hop flourish.

Quite well-balanced and very easily drinkable, with each sip calling for the next. The bottle conditioning adds just enough carbonation and a nice overall character to the beer, only helping this otherwise simple, session-esque ale remain interesting.

3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

A: Pours a rather hazy, blonde yellowish colour. Disturbing the settled yeast added a good amount of sediment to the pour. Fortunately, I don't mind the yeasty flavours. A rather short head tops it, but it was a little chilly to begin with, so that isn't a surprise.

S: A somewhat herbal and musty scent. Some hints of doughy, yet slightly toasted biscuit are noted.

T: Modest hop bitterness, riding on a grainy malt flavour. Some citrus rind, and a little touch of breadiness.

M: The mouthfeel is perhaps the best element of this beer. The carbonation is spot on, very assertive and crisp feeling. It makes it incredibly enjoyable and easy to drink, and the somewhat mellow flavours help keep it that way.

4.43/5  rDev +24.1%

This is a light, but flavourful, characterful, and somewhat complex ale that combines light refreshing qualities with solid character.

Somewhat dark gold/pale amber, a bit cloudy, it has a medium white head that steadily thins to a wispy head and ring. It leaves a tiny bit of lace.

The aroma is mostly grain, piney hops, and yeast, with hints of citrus and fruit.

The taste is light but characterful and complex with plenty of grain, citrus, hints of bubblegum and fruit (apple and pear), the latter being stronger in the finish, which is mostly strong, toasted grain with some pine. There is a noticeable hints of alcohol. Light sweetness is nicely balanced with light hoppy bitterness and a leafy-spicey bite.The body is light, crisp, and somewhat fizzy yet full.

3.43/5  rDev -3.9%

Slightly hazy amber pour with nice head that slowly fades.
Citrus and floral aromas up front, before some solid bready malts made their entrance. Smells a bit stale, and I can't say I'm a fan of the coarse metallic Pride of Ringwood hop aroma.
Flavours are less satisfactory, with non-descript light malt followed by a sharp, slightly hoppy, bitterness. Again, I'm not that much of a fan of the metallic POR bitterness.
Good body, and the high carbonation works well with the sharp bitterness to create a refreshing dry finish.

Coopers Sparkling Ale from Coopers Brewery Limited