2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coopers Original Pale Ale - Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Original Pale AleCoopers Original Pale Ale

good

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 03-27-2002)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Original Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 398 | Reviews: 265 | Show All Ratings:
KyleVick4

1.3/5  rDev -58.9%

12.7oz

A: Pours a weak mainly yellow some gold color with little head and tiny lacing. Cloudy, but I did dump the yeast in also. Either way it just looks unappetizing and lacking aesthetics.

S: Ummm more lack of smell, but I get lemon out of it followed quickly by a light sweetness that could be adjuncty. Just smells much to similiar to a BMC beer than Id like. Bleh.

T: Ha. What taste. Sorry to bash I try not to do this, but it tastes like fizz. LIght as hell and devoid of a real taste, I guess I pick up mostly malt with a touch, a tiny touch of hops.

M: Nasty. Carbonated. Really carbonated. Light bodied with loads of fizzy carbonation. Terrible.

D: I am only drinking it to review it. Sad really. I will never buy it again, and I was so excited when I did buy it because I have worked at Outback as a side job through college all my life. Australian beer you know? What a let down...

11-24-2006 00:45:27 | More by KyleVick4
goochpunch

1.43/5  rDev -54.7%

This gem pours out looking like cloudy and dirty white grapefruit juice. Has a thin ring of "head." This really smells akin to a macro lager: just clean and with nothing standing out. Flavor is grainy and nearly tasteless: like drinking a cocktail of 90% club soda and 10% beer. Light and fizzy doesn't begin to describe the mouthfeel here. I'd take a Budweiser or Coors Banquet over this any day.

06-10-2007 02:15:37 | More by goochpunch
clarknova

Germany

1.48/5  rDev -53.2%
look: 2 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

poured from a 375ml bottle

a - cloudy, dirty yellow with almost no head

s - almost nothing, slightly slightly maltly

t - little sour, little malty, no aftertaste at all

m - like sour sparkling water

o - what the ... was that? just awful or did I get a bad bottling?

12-18-2013 10:13:11 | More by clarknova
dudecandle

1.58/5  rDev -50%

Bottle into chalice:

A: Light orange-golden, hazy color, with a large enough white head with good lacing.

S: Dear lord, that may be the worst thing I have ever smelled. It was somewhere between urine and skunk grain with a hint of lemon and way too much yeast.

T: I barely managed to make it to this step after the smell, but I figured I might as well. It tasted like nothing. At all. Carbonated water with a touch of skunk grain, and perhaps some lemony soap. The unfiltered yeast comes through, as well.

M: Crisp without any body.

D: If you can get past the horrific smell, it's technically "drinkable." There isn't anything to taste, but the physical action of drinking remains unimpeded mostly. The only thought I had when trying this was that it had possibly been drunk by someone before me and then rebottled.
And yes, it was rolled.

01-12-2010 21:18:03 | More by dudecandle
paterlodie

1.88/5  rDev -40.5%

Not that much of an head and golden beercolor. Big particles floating in it. Nose is making shure this one is filled with lots of oxigen. Sweet hint of orange with it, some malts detectable. Taste is almost horrible; completely oxidated taste and no bitterness anymore, watery creamy sauce to me that was a poorout after just some tiny sips. Hopefully it's not always as bad as this bottle I tried but off course it came a long way..

06-30-2005 23:46:34 | More by paterlodie
JudgeRoughneck

Louisiana

1.88/5  rDev -40.5%

There is a thin, white head on this hazy gold beer. I can not stand the smell. It is awful. If smells like an awful potpourri of old diaper, band-aids, B.O., and general assiness. Terrible.

I taste, expecting maybe this sampole is spoiled, but it doesn't really seem so. I just get slightly skunky, old, noble hops, booze, soapiness, and a cracked grain finish. It's not doin much for me really and that smell is just horrendous. Drainpour.

06-05-2007 06:29:01 | More by JudgeRoughneck
magictrokini

1.98/5  rDev -37.3%

Yuck. I like pale ales, I like blond ales, and I even like unfiltered/bottle conditioned ales (i.e. AleSmith Extra Pale). This beer tastes like none of the above. Its almost as if it was pre-skunked. Pours cloudy copper with plenty of floaties. Stinky nose of sour fruit and malt. Dry, harsh grainy taste with fruity hops that I can't quite place. Sour, not bitter, aftertaste. Keep this down-under, mate.

12-05-2008 22:22:40 | More by magictrokini
botham

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7 oz bottle poured into a nonic. pours a pale yellow color, with a mild haze. three fingers of tight white head top it off, and last for a couple minutes.

aroma is of light malts, with a stale quality. light floral hops are in the background, along with a hint of vanilla. not impressive in the nose.

taste is watery, with hints of pale malts and floral hops. little else. finishes with a touch of pale malt. very thin and weak in profile.

mouthfeel is water thin. finishes with no residual flavors.

drinkability is bad. this brew is very weak in flavor, not to mention the watery texture. not impressive.

05-19-2008 00:56:00 | More by botham
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

2.05/5  rDev -35.1%

We've got a gusher folks! Yellow appearance and crap in the beer. Not much of a discernable aroma.

Taste was just carbonation and corn. Very light mouthfeel, no hops. Might as well call this Coors Light or Foster's. And its expensive. Forget you! There just wasn't any redeeming quality in this beer.

07-29-2010 17:40:45 | More by Beerandraiderfan
nanchen

2.1/5  rDev -33.5%

Bought this at a foreign grocery store in Beijing, craving a taste of real beer. I was not particularly impressed by this offer from Coopers. It poured cloudy, opaque and strawgold into the cup. About one finger of head. From the smell, I got mostly the bitterness of hops, perhaps a slight hint of butter if you are looking for it. The taste really accented the bitterness of hops also, leaving almost no trace of malt, or pine or citrus or anything else. It's crisp, if not a little bit fizzy on the tongue. The beer is drinkable, but to me, neither interesting nor really enjoyably well-balanced.

12-01-2009 14:06:00 | More by nanchen
roggia

Brazil

2.15/5  rDev -32%

Beer with yellow liquid and with good foaming with good duration. The foam is white and the last drops beer made ​​from this slightly brown foam. Malt aroma. In taste the bitterness of the hops leaving a bitter aftertaste and fast. Light beer good drinkability. Good for summer.

09-24-2013 00:47:07 | More by roggia
cjgator3

2.17/5  rDev -31.3%

12.7oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Best before date clearly shown on neck (19.02.08). Pours a slightly golden yellow color with one finger fizzy white head. The aroma is extremely faint with just a touch of malt and hops. The taste much like the aroma is pretty underwhelming in flavor with some malt and ops in a dry and watery finish. Overall, this was simply not a very enjoyable beer. The aroma and tastes were watered down and the mouthfeel was overly fizzy. Not recommended.

09-23-2007 04:36:49 | More by cjgator3
mikechance

2.17/5  rDev -31.3%

A ---- light and clear soft yellow, almost no head

S --- earthy and not much else. It really lacks any nose

T --- acid and flat/not much life too it/no strong presence of hops or malts

M --- low-medium body, lightly carbonated

O --- Boring and lacking. i'm not sure what the goal of this beer was, but it misses it on all fronts.

12-17-2011 07:43:23 | More by mikechance
dmamiano

West Virginia

2.2/5  rDev -30.4%

Not very excited about this one. It was the only beer on the menu I hadnt yet tried, so I figured "why not?"
Pour a very, very cloudy medium straw color with all kinds of stuff floating in the glass. Even leaving the last 1/2 inch unpoured, it was amazingly cloudy and full of junk.
Fairly nice head that hung on for a bit. Highly carbonated.
Smell was weak, not much hops or malt detected.
Taste was also very poor.

09-16-2007 03:48:44 | More by dmamiano
beermanbrian

2.25/5  rDev -28.8%

Pale yellow cloudy color. Thin bone white head. Smell - nothing, maybe a little bit of malt. Taste - very thin. Mouthfeel - watery. Drinkability - i guess it's a little better than water. There is nothing really bad about this brew it's just very bland, which is the only reason it scored as high as it did. To get 1's there has to be something really wrong and I can't say I noticed anything wrong with this one, can't really say I noticed anything at all.

08-31-2006 01:17:14 | More by beermanbrian
Naes

2.3/5  rDev -27.2%

This ale pours out a hazy golden color with a small white head. There is little retention and lacing.
The aroma is grainy with trace amounts of hops.
The flavor is a bit watery with a graininess and a citrus like hop finish. The flavor matches the aroma.
The mouth feel is light bodied and a bit over carbonated.

03-17-2006 01:46:23 | More by Naes
kojevergas

2.33/5  rDev -26.3%

Bottle into An Brainblasta Goblet in low altitude Galway, Ireland.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger head of no cream but fair thickness. Fair retention. Hazy yellow with tinges of orange.

Sm: Light fruit cut by very fresh barley. A light pleasant scent.

T: Crystal hop body. Some bittering hops too. Very slight fruit. Generic barley. Too bitter, especially on the finish. Carbonara sauce-esque.

Mf: Very wet, but nice patches of coarseness.

Dr: It's unfairly priced, and not particularly good even for the style.

03-21-2011 23:08:36 | More by kojevergas
BerkeleyBeerMan

2.33/5  rDev -26.3%

Nostalgia hurts the stomach and the wallet. I remembered enjoying this beer a few years ago before I started my beer tasting hobby. I even like Cooper's Lager. But, this beer is a serious disappointment and reminds me why beer tasting has become such a useful hobby. The beer pours a murky peach yellow. It's supposed to be bottle-conditioned but there is no noticeable sediment.

I'd prefer some life in this beer with dulle lifeless aroma of grains. I'll give it credit there is a light juice-like quality to the beer. Some marmalade. But the hop characters are so at a lack that this beer almost smells and taste like a poor example of a hefeweizen. The balance is strange and overly malty. The taste is too tart, the body to watery for my liking. This ale makes me grieve. It's too insipid to inspire me.

Sorry Cooper's I wanted to like this. I'll give you a try on tap if I ever make my way down under, but until then it's adieu to Cooper's Pale ale.

10-18-2011 06:22:46 | More by BerkeleyBeerMan
BeerBuilder

2.38/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours very carbonated witha thick, chunky white head. The color is golden-straw. There is a light hop fruitiness in the aroma, along with a bit of graininess. It has a real plain flavor, with a ligh fruitiness and medium bitterness throughout. It is a light-medium bodied brew. I can't find much good in this beer, I didn't enjoy it at all. Not impressed at all with this one.

Sampled 10/3/03

11-20-2003 22:56:18 | More by BeerBuilder
GreenCard

Oregon

2.38/5  rDev -24.7%

Appearance: light straw, slight haze, lots of rising bubbles, brief bit of ginger ale-like froth then nothing

Aroma: biscuity malt with a hint of roasted corn, strawberries, hay

Flavor: dry malt backbone with an herbal hop flavor followed by a very slight bitterness; finishes dry with a grassy aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, lively carbonation, watery texture like a club soda

Other comments: All in all, a bit disappointing. I like thier Sparkling Ale, but this is like a club soda with a dash of pale ale. Had to dump in the yeast dregs to get a bit of flavor.

10-29-2006 19:21:38 | More by GreenCard
champ103

2.38/5  rDev -24.7%

A: Gold yellow in color. A very small white head forms and leaves just as fast. Some spotty lacing down the glass.
S: What smell? Almost nothing here. If you stick your nose in the glass, I detect some bready malt, faint hops, and very faint citrus notes.
T: A heavy metallic taste comes first. After it warms, the taste is very similar to the nose.
M/D: A light body with way to much prickly carbonation. I can drink some if I had to. Nothing I care to have again though.

Had this at a poker party not to long ago. Not that it is that rare of a beer, but a guy from Australia brought this and the sparkling ale (did not get a chance to try that one though). I was not impressed with this beer. I find it about the same as macro lager crap. Next time I go for the sparkling ale.

12-12-2007 16:31:08 | More by champ103
introvertedone

Tennessee

Reviewed 12/28/08

This poured a golder amber. The smell was weak but hinted at a flowery aroma. The taste was, like the aroma, was weak. Not bad overall but weak. It presented light and smooth mouthfeel. Was easy to drink but I would rather drink Pabst Blue Ribbon (my favorite cheap beer) than this stuff.

01-10-2009 20:09:07 | More by introvertedone
Gueuzedude

Arizona

2.4/5  rDev -24.1%

A lightly hazy gold color. It forms a white head when roused in my glass. A weak beery aroma emanates from my glass, a bit of spicy hop notes as well. Fairly mild tasting, it ends with a bit of carbonic acid bite. Slightly bready, and a tad too thin. Really not much here, not offensive, but nothing worth drinking either.

01-05-2004 22:12:08 | More by Gueuzedude
pmcadamis

2.4/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Nice bottle with tons of sediment floating around near the bottom. I tried (unlike I would for a hefe) to avoid getting lots of this sediment in my pint glass. This pours a tubid carrot orange with almost no head (though I did pour very conservitively to avoid getting sediment in the glass). Some lacing, but it glides down the glass quickly. Lots of white flecks in the beer. It's unique looking, but not very appetizing.

The aroma is vegetal and fruity. I smell apricot, peaches, carrots, and tomatos. I also get a distinct mineral laden well-water aroma form this one.

The taste is very vegetal and almost like mixed vegetables from a can soaked in V8 fruit juice (not the original V8 tomato stuff, but the new juicier fruity kind). Tastes a bit like sparkling mineral water, and feels like it in the mouth too due to the high level of carbonation. I get a bit of a blandly sour taste....not good sour like citrusy hops, but a bad sour like something has spoiled. Firm metallic and mineral overtones are unique and not really horrible, but it's not what I want to taste in a beer.

This on is intersting for sure, but not very good. I don't really think I'll ever drink another one. The carbonation is the only thing making this even slighty drinkable. I'm gonna hurry and get this one down before it gets warm and goes flat....I have a feeling that it will be pretty disgusting if I let that happen.

09-05-2006 17:58:00 | More by pmcadamis
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

2.42/5  rDev -23.4%

Appearance: Pours a clear, gold body with a tiny ring of white bubbles.

Smell: Light pale malts, some graininess. Grassy hops, though light. More chicken broth.

Taste: Rather light malt character along with a subdued sweetness. A bit floral, grassy, but not much in the way of bitterness. Grows a bit watery. Dry, abrupt finish.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A bit of a disappointment, really.

06-10-2008 20:23:52 | More by ChainGangGuy