Coopers Original Pale Ale - Coopers Brewery Limited

good

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Original Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

Upon opening of the 12.7-ounce brown bottle, the beer pours a hazy light lemon yellow with a smallish white frothy head that dissipates quickly, leaving a rather thin coating of lace upon the glass. Nose has the rich aroma of malt, citrus like in its crispness; start is lightly sweet with a fair to middling grain presence, and the top feels moderate to my palate. Finish is stingingly acidic, the hops pleasantly spicy, and the aftertaste quite dry, bought a six pack of this brew along with a sixer of the Sparkling Ale, supposed to hit 109 by the end of the week, need a clean refreshing beer to fend of the heat! lol

Gusler, May 29, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a cloudy straw color, not unlike cloudy apple juice. Probably would have poured clearer, but I rolled the bottle like the website tells me to do. Wouldn't want to review it under unfavorable circumstances. Smells faintly of yeast, and a little citrus. Taste is fairly yeasty and a little sweet, not much in the way of malt flavor. Not unpleasant, but not great either. Finishes a little sour. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, not creamy, but no carbonation burn either. All in all, it's a fairly average beer. Wish I could say it was better because I really like Coopers' other beers.

Kulrak, Apr 24, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -14.8%

Clouded, hazed yellow-gold containing variously-sized bubbles rising at varying speeds. The head is on the small side since I gave the beer a gentle pour to keep the considerable quantity of sediment out of the glass. I love adding yeast to my hefe weizens, but I'm not so sure about it in this case. 'Simple white cap, soft, short-lived, almost no lace' just about sums it up.

This beer is what style again? A pale ale? Surely you jest. Shouldn't there be some semblance of hops in a pale ale's nose. COPA is doing a drop dead perfect impersonation of a Euro Pale Lager. And one that is aroma deficient to boot. A little grainy, a little musty hoppy... that's it.

Upon tasting... still comfortably within the bounds of the EPL style. Too bad it's supposed to be something else. Modestly sweet pale malt base that tastes much more grainy that I'd like, largely as a result of very little hop flavor. There's a moderate amount of semi-harsh hop bitterness, but whatever hop flavor may have been present initially hasn't survived the long, hot ocean voyage (of course I'm speculating based on what the beer tastes like).

The finish retains a modicum of sweetness, even as bitterness picks up steam and lingers the longest. The body is closer to light than to medium and there's a well-sustained, fine carbonation that does its best to make the mouthfeel seem interesting, but fails. It's not quite as dull as the flavor though, I'll give it that.

No how, no way is Cooper's Original Pale Ale an English Pale Ale. I think these guys should release Cooper's New-and-Improved Pale Ale because this one doesn't cut it, not by a long shot. I've now had two good to excellent beers from this 'down under' brewery (Best Extra Stout and Extra Strong Vintage Ale) and two lousy ones (Sparkling Ale and this one). Maybe it's time to re-name Coopers Brewery Limited the Jekyl and Hyde Brewing Company.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 22, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Initially pours a pretty cloudy pale golden color with a few floaters even though I poured it carefully and left 1/2" of beer on the bottom. There was a half-inch of white creamy head with a whole bunch of bubbles rising to keep it alive for well over a minute. After the head subsides, there is still a very persistent layer of foam being maintained by many bubbles seeking the surface. There is no lacing to speak of.

Aroma: Very dry and grainy with some very evident floral hops. The hops smell like British verities while the malt seems like it is closer to a Belgian Golden/Blond or some such. As the beer warms a little, there is a slightly vegetal and corny note coming out.

Taste: The flavor is more dominated by the hops than I suspected in the aroma. The malt is still there, but seems like it is lending a dry "wheaty" bite as much as anything. I don't get the corn as much like I did in the aroma because the hops are in charge of this beer's flavor profile. There is plenty of bittering here to balance a mild grain bill. The finish is balanced bitter, but it doesn't stay stuck to your throat like some interpretations of this style.

Opinion: This is an OK beer. There really isn't anything to set it apart from a bunch of other beers like it. There is a bit of graininess to this brew that you don't get with others, but I wouldn't say that it is a good thing in this case. It is not bad, and is definitely a drinkable brew, but with the amount of sediment on the bottom it is a shame to loose an ounce or two on every beer for one that is just "OK". If it was fresh and cheap, I may feel a little differently about this beer. Perhaps I need to take a trip to Australia?

SkeeterHawk, Apr 15, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -10.7%

Clear, pale gold in hue with a snowstorm of yeast sediment, I find it rather unattractive. White foam, sadly the bubbles only united for a moment and a skimpy cap lasted for a brief moment before fading to a thin collar. No subsequent lacing. I am totally unimpressed with the appearance.

The nose is musty with apples and wood, mainly. The hints of herbs and lemon bread do little for me. I realize this is an English-style Pale Ale but give me a bit more hops please. Likewise the malt (or lack thereof) leaves me wanting much more. Moderately low potency, I don’t find anything inviting about it.

The palate is a yawn inducer, just as the nose promised. Honest boring beer doesn’t score any points with me. Musty apples with some woody hints upfront, in the middle is some dry, flavorless malt that lasts until some vague fruitiness emerges at the end. Clean; lifeless with a lemon bread aftertaste to save the day. Sometimes I find boring offensive, this Pale Ale fits that mold. There is just nothing going on. Moving on…

Medium-light in body, flat, almost no carbonation, the mouthfeel is as dull and lifeless as the palate. What a shame.

Honestly, this is not a bad beer but it isn’t very flavorful either. I’m not going to spend extra cash on an import beer that is so lame. I am very happy to see unfiltered and bottle conditioned beers like this. Maybe my sample is off but the best by date is 08.02.07. It’s fresh, right? I purchased my bottle in Lawrence, KS but I can buy it in Council Bluffs, IA if I was so inclined. I’m not. Skip it.

bditty187, Apr 11, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

Cloudy yellow color and a thin white lace for a head. The aroma is light. Has a zesty lemon hint. Some grains back up the the herbal hop. Has a clean a crisp mouthfeel. Hints of pale malts and zesty citrus hop. Some yeast and grains can be found. Finishes clean and dry. Not really what I expected out of a pale ale. Ok but not really big on flavor.

Luigi, Apr 09, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Best buy date of 08)-07, a bottle conditioned pale ale with a neat bottle, a stubby little bottom. Poured some sediment in, left some in the bottle. A nice hazy, but pale, golden color with fizzy bubbly head, with lacing at a minimum. Nose has a little straw, a twinge of lemon, and I think I'm starting to get this whole 'bready' thing, as I'm picking some up here. Taste is a good balance of all things going into a beer. The mouth made a good first impression, good carbonation and body. Lemon citris hops, slightly herbal i suppose, balanced out by nutty, somewhat grainy malts, and I can't pick up much of that yeastiness I poured. Finishes smooth and crisp. Overall, a pretty decent beer, nothing too extraordinary, but a very good session beer, something appropriate for pretty much any time, any where.

objectivemonkey, Apr 01, 2006
2.3/5  rDev -27.4%

This ale pours out a hazy golden color with a small white head. There is little retention and lacing.
The aroma is grainy with trace amounts of hops.
The flavor is a bit watery with a graininess and a citrus like hop finish. The flavor matches the aroma.
The mouth feel is light bodied and a bit over carbonated.

Naes, Mar 17, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a bottle into a tulip glass.

Nice looking head, some lacing. Farily cloudy.

Not much aroma.

Good, mild, light malty flavor. A bit metallic, slightly bitter. Clean after taste.

I liked this beer. It would make a good session beer for me. Not a lot to it, but very drinkable.

doppelmeup, Feb 26, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -16.4%

This beer pours a golden color with a thick head that dissipated quickly from a 1 pint 9.4 ounce brown bottle. The aroma seems very faint, I can barely smell anything at all. I have to say the same thing about the taste, it's quite light, maybe a hint of lemon. I'm sure I could pound back quite a few of these, but I'm not sure why I would want to. Better than a macro lager (I know, this is an ale), but not anything to get excited about.

Drew966, Feb 25, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +11.4%

This bottled conditioned ale poured with a large white head with lackluster retention. Straw colored and very hazy, I left about ½ in the bottle but a fair amount of sentiment made it to my glass anyway.

The nose has lots of citrus, with some hints of spice. Lemon zest dominates the flavor which stats with some grains, finishes with some hops but keeps the citrus going the whole time. Nice mouthfeel, soft and even on the palate with delicate carbonation.

Note: The beer is marked best before 21-09-07 which leads me to believe two tings. One, that it is not very old (since there is a lot of shelf life ahead) so unless the shipping was traumatic, my bottle should be pretty much what it is supposed to taste like. Two, Coopers thinks their beers (even bottled conditioned ones) keep longer than they probably do.

Bcant, Feb 02, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cream color and hazy slightly unfilitered appearance, medium carbonation. thin sheet of cover and little lacing.

Extremely light aroma of citrus and the malts come together with a nice toast and dough blend.

lemon comes through in the taste powerfully, bitter hop presence, malted portion takes a back seat.

Very smooth, highly drinkable.

for years, I've always walked past Coopers. Maybe its because every other sample of brew I've tried from Australia I've been dissapointed. Lets just say I learned my lesson on being biased against all offerings as this one breaks the mold and breaks my bias. Solid offering and I"m looking forward to sampling all of their products.

DogFood11, Jan 21, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Light bodied, cloudy apricot color with a moderate white head that dissipates to a light lace immediately.

The aroma is mild, grainy, biscuity without much trace of hops.

The taste is also mild biscuity, yeasty, slightly sweet with just a hint of caramel. Finishes somewhat dry and carbonic with just a hint of hops. Taste is slightly thin and flat but still smooth, easy to drink and refreshing for a hot summer day. Some rusty looking sediment in the bottom..

whynot44, Jan 09, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +9.8%

12.7 ounce bottle. Coopers pale ale pours out a hazy orange color with lots of white floaties. The small head quickly fades to nothing. Weak grain aroma. There's not that much going on in the nose. Smooth, buttery malt flavor. Hops are more bitter than flavorful. Nice balance. A little bit fruity. Bottle conditioning gives this beer some character, but other than that, this is just an average pale ale. Pretty good drinkability too.

beveragecaptain, Jan 08, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +29.3%

Appearance: Classic Pale Ale murky straw with a bit of sediment in the bottom. Stunning head with even better retention and lacing. Pour this into a pewter goblet reasonably cold and it laces perfectly.

Smell: Floral hops, sweet malts perfect pale ale smell.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Malty and hoppy. It’s a refreshing beer and always a good pick for a summer drink. Leaves a bitter aftertaste which isn’t overly dry.

Drinkability/Overall: I could knock these back all day. Refreshing in the mouth and goes down smooth. I’ve had this beer for ever since I started drinking and it has always been a fave. This one was particularly nice.

Finite, Dec 12, 2005
3.13/5  rDev -1.3%

Not much of a head or lacing on this one. Bright yellow in color but cloudy with lots of little bubbles streaming to the top. A little bit of sediment in the glass, but I tried to keep most of it in the bottle. Smells like a lager to me, mostly sweet malts. Tastes like a lager too, but not bad with pale malts coming through. Mouthfeel is light, dry and smooth which makes it very easy to drink, but not real big in the flavor department.

Schwarzbart, Nov 09, 2005
3.43/5  rDev +8.2%

"It's not such a bad beer, Charlie Brown." For the distance this beer must travel, and the low abv, I thought this beer fared surprisingly well. Poured an amber-tinged gold. Lively carbonation. Some tiny brown flecks of sediment that can be avoided with careful decant. Overall, the character was quite bright, with some Bavarian lager-like influences. A bit fizzy and light. Not a bad session beer.

Brent, Sep 19, 2005
3.5/5  rDev +10.4%

Presentation: Readily identifiable 12.7 fluid ounce brown glass bottle that has a slight hourglass figure and the words ‘Coopers’ embossed on the shoulder in four places. Black and white main label has a generic design, the centrally located roundel has the words ‘Original Pale Ale’ and is accentuated with a dark green border, as is the neck label, and a green color coded twist off crown cap. Best Before 08.02.07 @ 07:13 (local time I guess!! LOL) is inkjet stenciled on the bottle neck. No strength listed.

Appearance: Pale golden body with a light apricot hue. Some small ‘floaties’ invade from the start but they do not really detract. Restrained streamers support the thin white head that leaves minimal amounts of resilient lacing. Murky treacle sponge with the final pour.

Nose: Punctuating fresh feel, light and spritzy with a young feel to it. Lemons and some lightly toasted malts benefit from some bakers yeast laden dough. Nothing outstanding but pleasing nevertheless.

Taste: Finishes with a sweet toasted malt ending that is crisp and fresh. The malts have only seen the bare lick of heat, extremely lightly toasted in nature. Has some bitterness in the centre. Citric qualities are prevalent.

Mouthfeel: Zesty fresh grapefruits, lemons mingle with a grainy malt middle and a delicate sweet doughy death. Light in strength but well carbonated.

Drinkability: A little too light to be an all-night partner in the long term, but I could easily manage a few of these Aussie Stubbies before I got bored with the Original Pale Ale.

Overall: I preferred the Sparkling Ale that I tried last night, but this is another very nice flavorful brew from the Coopers Brewery. ‘Real Aussie Ale • Brewed in Australia’ so says the neck label. Here’s to listening the 2nd Day of the 5th and Final Test of the 2005 Ashes from the Oval on the BBC World Service in a few hours time. Gud on ya mate………

TheLongBeachBum, Sep 09, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +14.5%

Hard Rock Café Melbourne AU 2005-08-18
A cloudy ale, similar in looks to a wheat beer with a bright white head that likes to stick to the side of the glass. Not a whole lot of smell. Faint hops and a sweet malt smell. Not nearly the citrus smell as its Sparkling Ale brother. Taste is nice and crisp. Nothing at all offensive about this beer, but it won’t knock your socks off, either. A good summer session brew.

DaveFL1976, Aug 18, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -13.2%

Tasted on 7th July 2005, a brown twist-off crown capped 375ml bottle. The bottle was stamped "Best After 15.06.08", hadn't come across that before! This was also hard to read.

Poured into stemmed beer glass an amber/yellow haze with chunks of off-putting brown yeast (I hope!). I had poured fairly vigorously in an attempt to promote the head. Head short lived however.

Smelled fresh enough (surprising after the visuals), some citrus notes?
Taste and mouthfeel: much better than appearence, half decent.

Drinkability: didn't finish this one.

Overall, I hope that this beer was not a true representative for this brew. Maybe it was spoiled, but I won't be in a hurry to try another one.

JohnfromDublin, Jul 11, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This beered looked good in the glass , the mid golden colour tinged with red.
The small and flavour were dominated by a resinous hop character, which was not unpleasant but had a sour quality.
This was an average drinking beer.Enough character to stand above the macro lagers but not particularly exciting.
Label 7/10

jarmby1711, Jul 05, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -40.7%

Not that much of an head and golden beercolor. Big particles floating in it. Nose is making shure this one is filled with lots of oxigen. Sweet hint of orange with it, some malts detectable. Taste is almost horrible; completely oxidated taste and no bitterness anymore, watery creamy sauce to me that was a poorout after just some tiny sips. Hopefully it's not always as bad as this bottle I tried but off course it came a long way..

paterlodie, Jul 01, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -19.6%

A little too pale for a pale ale. Looks murky yellow, much like a wheat beer. Moderate carbonation. White dense head with nice retention. Smells a little malty and a little fruity, like you would expect from a wheat beer. Quite sour smelling for a pale ale. Faint hop aroma. Tastes fruity, like citrus lemons and oranges. Faint hop flavor and souring. Low hop bittering. Beer gets weak through the body and finish. Bitter grainy mouthfeel. A bit too acidic and metalic. Thin and remains a bit sour. Some vegetable like and earthy. Not a particularly good pale ale, but glad I tried it. Tastes like a failed attempt of an American Blonde.

BEERchitect, Jun 27, 2005
3.63/5  rDev +14.5%

A clean pale yellow beer. Has a small fizzy white head and some lace. The main aspect of the aroma is a malty biscuit character with a lemony citrus background. The taste starts with the lemony citus up front followed by a light malt biscuit note. The finish has a light peppery hop character. a pleasing hot weather drink.
Note: If you empty the entire bottle int a glass you will get a cloudy beer.

ybnorml, Jun 24, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -10.1%

This beer sits right around average. I like the bottle conditioned character but question the hops in this brew. There seems to be no aromatic hops whatsoever, leaving the smell very dull. The taste is a bit bitter but the yeasty character is overwhelming with this absence. The mouthfeel is not too bad, but some floaties seem to tingle in my mouth. Drinkability is average. I would choose this beer over some, but not many.

Maestro, Jun 13, 2005