Coopers Original Pale Ale - Coopers Brewery Limited

good

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

English Pale Ale |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 03-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Original Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.03/5  rDev +27.1%

This is a darn tasty pale ale. It is in league with Fuller's London Pride even if it is runner up by a hair.

Appearance: The pour included the yeasties and resulted in a very cloudy gold color. little head fades fast. no lacing.

Smell: The aroma is fruity with apricots and peaches, malts, yeast and some canned pears syrup and a splash of lemon.

Taste: The taste does follow the nose. With peach and apricot flavors swirling around with the yeast and zippy citrus (what might be hop) peppery zing, the it ends quickly and cleanly.

Mouthfeel: The light mouthfeel is apropos for the style. The carbonation hold solid and the malty center and the hint of spices keep the beer alive in the mouth.

Drinkability: This beer is built for drinkin not thinkin. Have at it!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Oct 30, 2006
2.38/5  rDev -24.9%

Appearance: light straw, slight haze, lots of rising bubbles, brief bit of ginger ale-like froth then nothing

Aroma: biscuity malt with a hint of roasted corn, strawberries, hay

Flavor: dry malt backbone with an herbal hop flavor followed by a very slight bitterness; finishes dry with a grassy aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, lively carbonation, watery texture like a club soda

Other comments: All in all, a bit disappointing. I like thier Sparkling Ale, but this is like a club soda with a dash of pale ale. Had to dump in the yeast dregs to get a bit of flavor.

GreenCard, Oct 29, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -2.8%

BB 10/04/08, served cool in a straight imperial pint glass.

A: murky, dark yellow in colour, with a fluffy white beer head without much movement, against a moderately-carbonated body. I pour the beer with some care so as not to have the full yeasty intervention in the glass.
S: subtly lemony and floral touch a bit like German noble hops, plus a touch of rough, semi-sharp, slightly stinky-hayish and pineapple-ish yeasts. Straight-forward yet subtle, quite pleasant. Alas, the weak aroma dissipates further as it breathes...
T: sparkling-textured lemony, floral hops and very restrained pale-malts upfront--overall the foretaste is a bit neutral... the palate is coated with lively yet fine fizziness; turning increasingly dryish down the sides of the tongue, reminiscent of the tangy mouthfeel of citrus-zests rid of flavours, leaving an intriguing palate like rough woodchips, yeasts, and a soothing, understated bitterness from hops.
M&D: if one was to taste Coopers for the first time, the texture of this beer could be overly spritzy, but since I've luckily tried some of their beers, I guess I could try to appreciate it from a slightly objective perspective. This bottle shows a more lively (yet still thin) body throughout than my last bottle, maybe due to younger bottling yeasts. I wouldn't say I'd love this beer as of its own category, but for what it is and the brewery's consistent efforts to make good ales, one has to try this beer to form his/her own fair judgement. A different, yeasty and dry-ish pale ale this is.

wl0307, Sep 25, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Nice bottle with tons of sediment floating around near the bottom. I tried (unlike I would for a hefe) to avoid getting lots of this sediment in my pint glass. This pours a tubid carrot orange with almost no head (though I did pour very conservitively to avoid getting sediment in the glass). Some lacing, but it glides down the glass quickly. Lots of white flecks in the beer. It's unique looking, but not very appetizing.

The aroma is vegetal and fruity. I smell apricot, peaches, carrots, and tomatos. I also get a distinct mineral laden well-water aroma form this one.

The taste is very vegetal and almost like mixed vegetables from a can soaked in V8 fruit juice (not the original V8 tomato stuff, but the new juicier fruity kind). Tastes a bit like sparkling mineral water, and feels like it in the mouth too due to the high level of carbonation. I get a bit of a blandly sour taste....not good sour like citrusy hops, but a bad sour like something has spoiled. Firm metallic and mineral overtones are unique and not really horrible, but it's not what I want to taste in a beer.

This on is intersting for sure, but not very good. I don't really think I'll ever drink another one. The carbonation is the only thing making this even slighty drinkable. I'm gonna hurry and get this one down before it gets warm and goes flat....I have a feeling that it will be pretty disgusting if I let that happen.

pmcadamis, Sep 05, 2006
2.25/5  rDev -29%

Pale yellow cloudy color. Thin bone white head. Smell - nothing, maybe a little bit of malt. Taste - very thin. Mouthfeel - watery. Drinkability - i guess it's a little better than water. There is nothing really bad about this brew it's just very bland, which is the only reason it scored as high as it did. To get 1's there has to be something really wrong and I can't say I noticed anything wrong with this one, can't really say I noticed anything at all.

beermanbrian, Aug 31, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a somewhat limpid, slightly cloudy dark yellow. Head is small, lacing light. Aroma is grainy, sweet malt, without any noticible hops in the nose. Hoppy bitterness--but not flavor--shows up more in the taste, where it pleasantly balances out a clean maltiness. Yeast character is very neutral, and finish is clean and dry. Crisp mouthfeel, light bodied.

Drinkable, but not exceptional. Really, it resembles more of a continental pils--or maybe a slightly bitter helles--than a pale ale.

allengarvin, Aug 29, 2006
2.73/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

The label on the bottle mentioned some "fine sediment" in the bottle. The word fine was a bit of an understatement. I poured this REALLY slow, so as not to get any of the gritty looking sediment in my glass. There was no head at all, just a hazy orange coloured liquid, with little carbonation. The smell I got was pears and oranges, with a bit of malt chucked in.

On drinking it, I noted that it had an almost cordial quality to it, not really nasty, but unimpressive. A watery brew it be, with a seltzer like feel to it at first, before it goes flat due to lack of attention. Maybe the bottle suffered in transit, so to be fair, I'll review another bottle some day, but not in the near future.

zebedee, Aug 28, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -15.5%

This beer is a lighter shade of yellow with a very thin head. There is a ton of suspended matter. The smell is strong. The taste is of a lighter beer with some hops thrown in. I guess this beer could be sessioned but there are better choices for that. Average for a session beer. Nothing outstanding. This beer is better cold.

Enola, Aug 26, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -6%

Pours a hazy golden color. No head or lacing on a very conservative pour to try to leave the yeast in the bottle. Still a little yeast floating around.
Smell is of peaches and apricots.
Taste is very bready and a little buttery. Also some lemon zing. Reminds me of a wheat beer.
Lots of carbonation kind of makes the mouth tingle.
This isn't a bad beer, but for some reason I found it hard to finish.
Overall it's not a bad beer, but I don't know if I will revisit again.

wcudwight, Aug 11, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +21.5%

12 oz. bottle. Poured a cloudy, golden yellow, with a the residue of fermentation suspended in the bottle. Very little head or lacing, which kept this score from going higher. Started out slightly bitter, but settled in around mid-bottle, to a nice smooth tasty beer with a good finish. Not quite qwhat I expected from a Pale Ale, almost more like a Weiss at the end, but at on 4.5% abv, I could, and probably will, drink several on a hot day this summer.

kimcgolf, Jul 04, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +11.4%

Pours (carefully) a clear golden to straw colored witha a 2 fingers deep white head that drops off quickly to nada& stays that way. No lacing either

Smell: Slight fruitiness & hints of peppery hops

Taste: Fruitty & slight grainyness. Finishes quenching & fruitty

MF Spritzy & light bodied. could use a little more heft

Drinks easy, just not much character there for a bottle conditioned beer. I remember this being slighlty better in OZ. Worth a shot, especially as a summer time change of pace

russpowell, Jun 30, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy pale straw yellow color. Aroma is quite piney topped off with a citrus zest. The taste is wonderfully hopped and flavorful. All citrus hops up front, with some kind of yeasty malty something in the aftertaste. Mouthfeel is great and drinkability is nice too. This beer is fluent in the citrusy piney hop bigness that I feel is too minimally done in the other english pale ale's I've tried. This is a good beer here, I'll empty my glass with satisfaction.

jasonpeckins32, Jun 06, 2006
3.2/5  rDev +0.9%

Upon opening of the 12.7-ounce brown bottle, the beer pours a hazy light lemon yellow with a smallish white frothy head that dissipates quickly, leaving a rather thin coating of lace upon the glass. Nose has the rich aroma of malt, citrus like in its crispness; start is lightly sweet with a fair to middling grain presence, and the top feels moderate to my palate. Finish is stingingly acidic, the hops pleasantly spicy, and the aftertaste quite dry, bought a six pack of this brew along with a sixer of the Sparkling Ale, supposed to hit 109 by the end of the week, need a clean refreshing beer to fend of the heat! lol

Gusler, May 29, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a cloudy straw color, not unlike cloudy apple juice. Probably would have poured clearer, but I rolled the bottle like the website tells me to do. Wouldn't want to review it under unfavorable circumstances. Smells faintly of yeast, and a little citrus. Taste is fairly yeasty and a little sweet, not much in the way of malt flavor. Not unpleasant, but not great either. Finishes a little sour. Mouthfeel isn't too bad, not creamy, but no carbonation burn either. All in all, it's a fairly average beer. Wish I could say it was better because I really like Coopers' other beers.

Kulrak, Apr 24, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -14.8%

Clouded, hazed yellow-gold containing variously-sized bubbles rising at varying speeds. The head is on the small side since I gave the beer a gentle pour to keep the considerable quantity of sediment out of the glass. I love adding yeast to my hefe weizens, but I'm not so sure about it in this case. 'Simple white cap, soft, short-lived, almost no lace' just about sums it up.

This beer is what style again? A pale ale? Surely you jest. Shouldn't there be some semblance of hops in a pale ale's nose. COPA is doing a drop dead perfect impersonation of a Euro Pale Lager. And one that is aroma deficient to boot. A little grainy, a little musty hoppy... that's it.

Upon tasting... still comfortably within the bounds of the EPL style. Too bad it's supposed to be something else. Modestly sweet pale malt base that tastes much more grainy that I'd like, largely as a result of very little hop flavor. There's a moderate amount of semi-harsh hop bitterness, but whatever hop flavor may have been present initially hasn't survived the long, hot ocean voyage (of course I'm speculating based on what the beer tastes like).

The finish retains a modicum of sweetness, even as bitterness picks up steam and lingers the longest. The body is closer to light than to medium and there's a well-sustained, fine carbonation that does its best to make the mouthfeel seem interesting, but fails. It's not quite as dull as the flavor though, I'll give it that.

No how, no way is Cooper's Original Pale Ale an English Pale Ale. I think these guys should release Cooper's New-and-Improved Pale Ale because this one doesn't cut it, not by a long shot. I've now had two good to excellent beers from this 'down under' brewery (Best Extra Stout and Extra Strong Vintage Ale) and two lousy ones (Sparkling Ale and this one). Maybe it's time to re-name Coopers Brewery Limited the Jekyl and Hyde Brewing Company.

BuckeyeNation, Apr 22, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -4.4%

Appearance: Initially pours a pretty cloudy pale golden color with a few floaters even though I poured it carefully and left 1/2" of beer on the bottom. There was a half-inch of white creamy head with a whole bunch of bubbles rising to keep it alive for well over a minute. After the head subsides, there is still a very persistent layer of foam being maintained by many bubbles seeking the surface. There is no lacing to speak of.

Aroma: Very dry and grainy with some very evident floral hops. The hops smell like British verities while the malt seems like it is closer to a Belgian Golden/Blond or some such. As the beer warms a little, there is a slightly vegetal and corny note coming out.

Taste: The flavor is more dominated by the hops than I suspected in the aroma. The malt is still there, but seems like it is lending a dry "wheaty" bite as much as anything. I don't get the corn as much like I did in the aroma because the hops are in charge of this beer's flavor profile. There is plenty of bittering here to balance a mild grain bill. The finish is balanced bitter, but it doesn't stay stuck to your throat like some interpretations of this style.

Opinion: This is an OK beer. There really isn't anything to set it apart from a bunch of other beers like it. There is a bit of graininess to this brew that you don't get with others, but I wouldn't say that it is a good thing in this case. It is not bad, and is definitely a drinkable brew, but with the amount of sediment on the bottom it is a shame to loose an ounce or two on every beer for one that is just "OK". If it was fresh and cheap, I may feel a little differently about this beer. Perhaps I need to take a trip to Australia?

SkeeterHawk, Apr 15, 2006
2.83/5  rDev -10.7%

Clear, pale gold in hue with a snowstorm of yeast sediment, I find it rather unattractive. White foam, sadly the bubbles only united for a moment and a skimpy cap lasted for a brief moment before fading to a thin collar. No subsequent lacing. I am totally unimpressed with the appearance.

The nose is musty with apples and wood, mainly. The hints of herbs and lemon bread do little for me. I realize this is an English-style Pale Ale but give me a bit more hops please. Likewise the malt (or lack thereof) leaves me wanting much more. Moderately low potency, I don’t find anything inviting about it.

The palate is a yawn inducer, just as the nose promised. Honest boring beer doesn’t score any points with me. Musty apples with some woody hints upfront, in the middle is some dry, flavorless malt that lasts until some vague fruitiness emerges at the end. Clean; lifeless with a lemon bread aftertaste to save the day. Sometimes I find boring offensive, this Pale Ale fits that mold. There is just nothing going on. Moving on…

Medium-light in body, flat, almost no carbonation, the mouthfeel is as dull and lifeless as the palate. What a shame.

Honestly, this is not a bad beer but it isn’t very flavorful either. I’m not going to spend extra cash on an import beer that is so lame. I am very happy to see unfiltered and bottle conditioned beers like this. Maybe my sample is off but the best by date is 08.02.07. It’s fresh, right? I purchased my bottle in Lawrence, KS but I can buy it in Council Bluffs, IA if I was so inclined. I’m not. Skip it.

bditty187, Apr 11, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

Cloudy yellow color and a thin white lace for a head. The aroma is light. Has a zesty lemon hint. Some grains back up the the herbal hop. Has a clean a crisp mouthfeel. Hints of pale malts and zesty citrus hop. Some yeast and grains can be found. Finishes clean and dry. Not really what I expected out of a pale ale. Ok but not really big on flavor.

Luigi, Apr 09, 2006
3.73/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Best buy date of 08)-07, a bottle conditioned pale ale with a neat bottle, a stubby little bottom. Poured some sediment in, left some in the bottle. A nice hazy, but pale, golden color with fizzy bubbly head, with lacing at a minimum. Nose has a little straw, a twinge of lemon, and I think I'm starting to get this whole 'bready' thing, as I'm picking some up here. Taste is a good balance of all things going into a beer. The mouth made a good first impression, good carbonation and body. Lemon citris hops, slightly herbal i suppose, balanced out by nutty, somewhat grainy malts, and I can't pick up much of that yeastiness I poured. Finishes smooth and crisp. Overall, a pretty decent beer, nothing too extraordinary, but a very good session beer, something appropriate for pretty much any time, any where.

objectivemonkey, Apr 01, 2006
2.3/5  rDev -27.4%

This ale pours out a hazy golden color with a small white head. There is little retention and lacing.
The aroma is grainy with trace amounts of hops.
The flavor is a bit watery with a graininess and a citrus like hop finish. The flavor matches the aroma.
The mouth feel is light bodied and a bit over carbonated.

Naes, Mar 17, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +21.5%

Poured a bottle into a tulip glass.

Nice looking head, some lacing. Farily cloudy.

Not much aroma.

Good, mild, light malty flavor. A bit metallic, slightly bitter. Clean after taste.

I liked this beer. It would make a good session beer for me. Not a lot to it, but very drinkable.

doppelmeup, Feb 26, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -16.4%

This beer pours a golden color with a thick head that dissipated quickly from a 1 pint 9.4 ounce brown bottle. The aroma seems very faint, I can barely smell anything at all. I have to say the same thing about the taste, it's quite light, maybe a hint of lemon. I'm sure I could pound back quite a few of these, but I'm not sure why I would want to. Better than a macro lager (I know, this is an ale), but not anything to get excited about.

Drew966, Feb 25, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +11.4%

This bottled conditioned ale poured with a large white head with lackluster retention. Straw colored and very hazy, I left about ½ in the bottle but a fair amount of sentiment made it to my glass anyway.

The nose has lots of citrus, with some hints of spice. Lemon zest dominates the flavor which stats with some grains, finishes with some hops but keeps the citrus going the whole time. Nice mouthfeel, soft and even on the palate with delicate carbonation.

Note: The beer is marked best before 21-09-07 which leads me to believe two tings. One, that it is not very old (since there is a lot of shelf life ahead) so unless the shipping was traumatic, my bottle should be pretty much what it is supposed to taste like. Two, Coopers thinks their beers (even bottled conditioned ones) keep longer than they probably do.

Bcant, Feb 02, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Cream color and hazy slightly unfilitered appearance, medium carbonation. thin sheet of cover and little lacing.

Extremely light aroma of citrus and the malts come together with a nice toast and dough blend.

lemon comes through in the taste powerfully, bitter hop presence, malted portion takes a back seat.

Very smooth, highly drinkable.

for years, I've always walked past Coopers. Maybe its because every other sample of brew I've tried from Australia I've been dissapointed. Lets just say I learned my lesson on being biased against all offerings as this one breaks the mold and breaks my bias. Solid offering and I"m looking forward to sampling all of their products.

DogFood11, Jan 21, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +2.5%

Light bodied, cloudy apricot color with a moderate white head that dissipates to a light lace immediately.

The aroma is mild, grainy, biscuity without much trace of hops.

The taste is also mild biscuity, yeasty, slightly sweet with just a hint of caramel. Finishes somewhat dry and carbonic with just a hint of hops. Taste is slightly thin and flat but still smooth, easy to drink and refreshing for a hot summer day. Some rusty looking sediment in the bottom..

whynot44, Jan 09, 2006