1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coopers Best Extra Stout - Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Best Extra StoutCoopers Best Extra Stout

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Best Extra Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 514 | Reviews: 359 | Show All Ratings:
oCervejalista

Brazil

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

A: totally black with a creamy coffee-like head;

S: roasted malt, coffee grains, espresso, dark chocolate;

T: lots of coffee and chocolate notes;

M: medium body with a little bitterness at the end;

O: A nice beer, it has all the caracteristics of the style, but nothing that really stands out for me.

03-08-2014 00:47:35 | More by oCervejalista
BucBasil

South Carolina

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

Lucky find in Shanghai at a wine store. Picked up a 330mL bottle with some cheese. Poured it in a pint glass.

A: The beer is a nice solid dark brown color with not much coming through at all. Tan head. Classic look.

S: Predominantly roasty with bits of chocolate and caramel malt. Classic smell.

T: Nice roasty character with a hint of chocolate. Semisweet but balanced by a nice coffee/mocha bitterness.

Overall a very classic stout. The feel isn't as smooth as I would like but overall this is a very solid option and I will definitely seek this out again.

03-04-2014 13:25:26 | More by BucBasil
tone77

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12.7 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts, some sweetness, molasses like. Taste is roasted malts, a bit of chocolate, somewhat light and mild, some smokiness as well. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

02-23-2014 19:55:21 | More by tone77
CalgaryFMC

Alberta (Canada)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a bottle into an English pub glass. Nearly pitch black with the odd red flash glimmering here and there, with a wholesome milkshake-like tan head. Aroma includes roasted barley, rich milk chocolate, cold coffee, and a whiff of smoke. Palate reflects all these elements as well, along with a tannic red wine fruitiness that is rather interesting in a stout. Bittersweet, with carob and butterscotch diacetyl, raisins or dried currants, and blonde roast coffee flitting in and out of awareness, something different with each sip. Smooth and creamy body, semi-thick (certainly more so than an Irish dry stout), with an earthy dry tea-bag finish that also hits a few wood char and chocolate milk notes on the way out. Plenty tasty and I'd make this a go-to stout if it was easier to find in these parts. I like the juxtaposition of sweet dark malts and tannic fruity/bitter almost Burton-esque flavors. Its not a super heavy hitter, looking considerably darker than it tastes if that makes sense, but features more character than some of its better known mass-produced counterparts from Ireland.

02-22-2014 18:16:23 | More by CalgaryFMC
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Coopers Best Extra Stout has been designed to look extra stout alright; holding it directly against the light doesn't reveal even a sliver of colour or clarity. This thing is black through and through. Still, for some reason, it doesn't seem like it'll be particularly heavy. The lack of head may have something to do with it, or perhaps the soy sauce-like complexion.

The aroma has enough caramel and molasses sweetness to make me throw my head back, close my eyes, inhale as much as my lung capacity will allow, then I quickly re-catch my breath and it's time to do it all over again. It has a dark balsamic-like richness, hints of black licorice and campfire smoke, as well as mysterious fruity esters.

It might look curious to some in this (northern) hemisphere that the brewery stamps a 'best after' date on the bottle (as opposed to 'best before'); Coopers evidently know a thing or two about their beer. I was concerned reviewing this sample a year and a half beyond the 'best after' date but any worries were for not. This has never tasted better!

The palate, contrary to the aroma, features roasted grain as its main component and relegates molasses and other sweet notes to a more secondary role. Still, there's a fair amount of cane sugar character and a subtle rum-like semblance. The introduction of coffee oils into the mix necessarily diminishes the other flavours but by no means extinguishes them.

In fact, allowed to warm, the esters concealed in the aroma open up and unveil an almost bubblegum-like attribute that imparts a lightly candied fruitiness (reminiscent of dried cherries or cranberry). Those of Middle Eastern descent will identify it as a smoky, roasty, malty pomegranate molasses, a quality that makes it super agreeable.

My enjoyment of sweet, sleek, malty Export Stouts cannot be measured by modern science, but take the score posted above as proof that I really like 'em. Coopers Best Extra Stout is definitely one of the best examples of the style and, as a relatively light and approachable beer with strong and substantial personality, is an easy thing to recommend to all drinkers.

02-12-2014 03:05:04 | More by biegaman
sveinnbirkir

Iceland

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A fine stout for sure. Feels a little to thin and runny for in my mouth, and I will subtract from the overall score for the somewhat excessive carbonated taste. It almost makes up fort with the beautiful sticker design though.

Solid offering, just lacking that final push.

12-20-2013 16:45:39 | More by sveinnbirkir
chogm54

Australia

4.03/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: very dark brown almost black, opaque, mild carbonation, great 1 inch thick caramel brown head that eventually thins to about 5mm in a pint glass

Smell: roasted malts, trace of nutmeg, slightly metallic

Taste: dark roasted chocolate up front, leaving a slight honey like sweetness coming mid way through, nice slight malty bitterness at end

Mouthfeel: a bit thinner than other stouts, which may not be a bad thing depending on your preference, and makes it more sessionable. crisp.

A beer I've wanted to try for ages, a bit thinner than other stouts, but this increases its appeal to me - i could definitely fit a few of these in one go. nice roasted cocoa taste is a plus as well. give it a go!

12-12-2013 10:15:13 | More by chogm54
ISmith87

Arizona

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A - 3.75 - This beer is a nice dark brown-black opaque color with a thick brown head that leaves thick lacing on the glass. Very standard bottle. I like it.

S - 3.75 - It has a really enticing creaminess about the smell, I'm surprised at how much vanilla I'm getting in addition to the chocolate and roasted notes.

T - 4.25 - Really nice creamy taste with chocolate, coffee, and roasted malts as the base. Little bit of hoppy bitterness in there too. Very well balanced. This would probably be great with some age on it.

M - 4 - Nice mouthfeel that's medium-thick. Alc completely covered. Aftertaste is roasty, but also creamy, like the aftertaste from a nice cold glass of whole milk.

O - 4 - I'm really surprised in a good way by this beer. Being a big fan of imperial stouts I have a hard time finding examples with a lower ABV and gravity that are just as satisfying. This one is. It will stay in my rotation for a while.

11-07-2013 03:20:35 | More by ISmith87
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Thanx Lynn:

On the bottle it says: Best after 19 Sep 2010:

Into a snifter (first time to pour a foreign/extra stout into a snifter, so here goes):

A: dark brown / perhaps closer to a black colored body, speckled yet somewhat ringy and funny looking somewhat clingy lacing, head - what head as it dies immediately, there was a slim looking half finger head (I may have had this a bit too old)

S: holy roastiness, almost as if someone took the coffee beans and slowly roasted it over a fire for over a week, boy oh boy, I'm actually likin' this, light maltiness comes in after it warms a bit

T: bitter and sweet at different times, an intricate complexity ranging between the roastiness and the sweetness, dry malty aftertaste, dry finish

M: medium to heavy, not exactly sessionable, carbonation is fairly subdued for the style, but I'm actually liking it as it comes across fairly smooth (however, it could be because I'm having this over 3 years old)

O: though I'm havin' this one fairly old, I'm likin' it for the most part, I never would have thought foreign/extra stouts would hold up this long, might have to get more of this

10-24-2013 23:47:37 | More by BeerKangaroo
cyclonece09

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 375 ml bottle into a 14 oz "pint" glass. Pours pitch black with a small brown head. Smells of berries and fruit with slight coffee. Tastes of slight coffee with sour fruit, intersting combination that is pretty good. Beer is carbonated heavily Andy goes down really easy for its medium body. Overall a pretty good beer.

09-29-2013 23:32:12 | More by cyclonece09
UCLABrewN84

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Best after 7/29/12.

Pours an opaque black with a foamy dark khaki head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of dark roasted malt, cocoa, and slight char-like aromas. Taste is much the same with cocoa and char flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of roasty bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is an above average beer with some nice aromas but the flavors come off as a bit too acrid and burnt for my liking.

09-26-2013 03:22:00 | More by UCLABrewN84
FLima

Brazil

3.99/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Deep black color with a thick caramel head with good retention and leaving laces.
Nice aroma of Belgian chocolate and coffee with notes of earthy hops and roasted malts.
Flavor full of character, quite hoppy relatively to style (though not American hoppy). Taste of roasted and smoked malts with earthy and spicy notes. Hints of coffee and grass and once it warms up it reveals some fruity and cocoa powder notes. Dry and bitter aftertaste with its lingering taste.
Medium to full body with perfect carbonation.
Excellent Foreign Stout. Far from boring and still very drinkable. In my opinion, better than the regular Guinness.

08-17-2013 00:16:46 | More by FLima
IchLiebeBier

Appearance: Very dark, molasses-like, no head

Aroma: Malty, sweet, raisiny

Taste: Spicy, chocolatey, dried-figs; dry, butter finish

Remarks: This was a very enjoyable beer overall. Must try if you like thick, complex beers.

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

06-15-2013 12:13:26 | More by IchLiebeBier
soju6

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

A: Pours a black color with a good tan head that fades to nice lacing.

S: Aroma of roasted malt, coffee, chocolate and some dark fruit.

T: taste of Coffee, roasted malt some dark chocoltae and dark fruit in the background. Nice bitterness and a clean finish.

F: Nice medium body, smooth and creamy texture. Very good balance. Has a nice robust character.

O: Very enjoyable drinker. Good example of what a stout should be. Worth checking out.

05-30-2013 03:31:57 | More by soju6
Brenden

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Inky black in color, this big-looking stout struggles to develop a head on a strong pour. It does, however, rise up to about half a finger. It doesn't last especially long, though the medium-brown head that does remain sticks pretty thickly to the glass.
Molasses and coffee are strongest on the nose. There's plenty of malty backbone, a bit roasty but more a heavy barley-type presence. A tinge of dark fruits sweetness lingers as well.
On the sip, I get pretty much the same along with a powerful dry, woody flavor. It's good, but I'm not sure about the high ratings here; the charred woods go too acrid and tangy for me in overall. A bit of floral and metallic/earthy (English, most likely) hops are present as well, and the fruits go somewhat in a citrus direction.
The body's big enough to keep everything together, but with a bit too much of a sharp bite to it. Smoothness is present but generally somewhat on the lower side. There is a good heft to it, though.

04-04-2013 01:36:35 | More by Brenden
JK4Stout

3.74/5  rDev -2.9%

A: "Bitches Leave!" --because this is now beer for the weak of heart. Ed Harris could have spent time in this baby cause no light is getting in there. (obscure Abyss reference) No real quality head though, and ZERO retention.

S: "Murphy! It's you!" -- If there was ever a smell to bring a cyborg back from memory loss it would be a good stout odor. Notes of coffee and chocolate, but still a little of what may even be hop leaking in.

T: "Can you fly, Bobby?" -- Well, I bet he can after one of these puppies. Not quite of par with Guinness Foriegn Extra, but only a notch or two down from that. Maybe even a bit weak in the malt department. However, I can safely say that this quote doesn't fly. "It taste like baby food!"

M: "Dead or alive you're coming with me!" --That is how my tongue feels. Has a bit of a bite that makes her numb to outside influenece. Pretty heavy with a good amount of carbonation.

O: "I'd buy that for a dollar!" -- I may even pay two. Aside from that, we Americans have done the stout better, and I'll most likely stick to those.

* Oh, and if you can't guess I'm watching Robocop as I write this!

02-25-2013 23:25:22 | More by JK4Stout
flyingpig

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

375ml bottle The Good Spirits Co., Glasgow(£2.20):
Dark mahogany brown, opaque and bordering right on black with a creamy looking, mild brown head that is about half a centimetre tall and doesn't move at all before I start drinking the beer.

Roasted malts and a cocoa chocolate aroma. There is a creamy barley like aroma and some sweetness along with a mild coffee smell.

Sweet roasted malts and some barely with a nice sweetness and some mild chocolate and coffee flavours coming through. There is also some darker fruits that are hinted at, possibly some figs and raisins.

Creamy feeling and smooth beer with a medium body and fairly mild carbonation levels. There is a nice sweetness to the beer with crisp and dry finish that was very easy to drink.

Pleasant without being overly strong or in your face despite the relatively high abv. It was very easy to drink, almost a little too easy and would make a good, if a little strong, session ale.

02-13-2013 13:41:38 | More by flyingpig
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.66/5  rDev -30.9%

This is our last beer from Coopers, and I am OK with that. I didn't really care for their other beers, but this one looks really good in the glass. Not sure why I didn't like the other ones, but we did their Extra Strong Vintage Ale and their Sparkling Ale. LINK THESE TO THE REVIEWS OF THE BEER We are actually running out of beers in the fridge, so we need to go shopping. But this one sounded good. We have a Christmas beer and a barleywine left. Oh, and the Firestone Walker anniversary ale. But I wanted to drink this because it's cold outside, and a beer reaching 7% is sure to warm us up this evening. Let's see what the Coopers Best Extra Stout tastes like.

In the Glass: It looks really nice in the glass. It had a certain thickness in the bottle, which is probably due to the bottle conditioning. It looks thick in the glass, with a nice thin tan head. The lace is pretty basic, but the head just hangs on. I can also smell this as it sits on my desk. I could smell it as I poured it in the glass. This has some promise.

Nose: As I was pouring this, I could smell it. I was just sniffing malt as this thick near black beer poured into the glass. After I stuck my nose in the glass, I got a mellow, almost stale (but pleasing) malty aroma. There are no hops here. Just thick malty goodness. I hope the flavor stands up to the aroma.

Flavor: It is not as thick as I expected. There are a lot of bubbles rushing around my tongue as I swallow. There are a lot of flavors, though. The flavor is actually quite complex. At first, it has a weird rubbery taste, then it smooths out, becomes somewhat dry, and some hop bitterness kicks in. Based on the aroma, you would never know there were hops in here. I think the best part if the aftertaste. I am impressed with how fast it becomes dry, and how long that flavor hangs on. For a beer that came from Australia, it also has a good price point.

Mouthfeel: Not a huge fan of the mouthfeel. It has too much carbonation and while I can tolerate bubbles, I don't want them in a stout. If I drank this in a blind taste test, I would never think this beer was a stout. Before I can even swallow, the dryness is creeping in and hangs on well into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: Hands down the best part of this beer. Before I even start to swallow, my mouth if drying. Then, in true Irish (ironic) fashion, the dryness shows up and hangs on. (By the way, the burp isn't very good. I had a black bean burger for lunch, so that might be part of it. Still tasting that!) Every time I swallow, my mouth just begs for another drink. You are get a lot of hops in the finish.

Coopers Best Extra Stout has a nice malty aroma and a lovely hoppy dry finish. I didn't have big expectations here, but I am impressed with this offering. I would like to try this not only on tap, but nitro. I bet that would mellow out the bubbles a lot. Anyway, I am impressed. Sad to see Coopers go, but there are a LOT of other beers out there for us to try!

01-29-2013 20:19:15 | More by rickyleepotts
Murrhey

Montana

3.45/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass in my house in Orange, Calif. Reviewed from notes.

A- Finger-width khaki head. Long retention. Heavy carbonation. Black color with some fluffy lacing.

S- Roast malts, chocolate, barley. Nice rich smell with a distinct creaminess in the aroma.

T- Roast malts and barley, and some coffee notes with creaminess. The dark chocolate pops out, like a little cocoa nibs.

M- Rich and creamy, but heavy carbonation kills the feel.

O- Weird beer that seems to attempt to be a Guinness. It fails.

11-15-2012 00:25:36 | More by Murrhey
Zimbo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

Definition problem here. Bottle nose has moderate well balanced roastiness and sweetness and it pour a reasonable but short lived big rocky tan head. Glossy black to the eye it has reasonable depth with an effervescent start on the palate which leads to a fairly hollow middle. Thin, not watery, but is in need of more content and individuality.

10-18-2012 08:03:16 | More by Zimbo
vickersspitfire

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

This beer makes want to kiss an Aussie, babe that is! Anyway, poured out a dark, pitch black, color and is topped off with a nice thick tan head that simply screams,” I can’t get sunburned in Somalia!” The head gently thins out into a layer of bubbles and a layer of thick creamy lacing. It smells like a dry scotch, with only a hint of butter, mild dark fruits and some raisins. Bitter at first, it spreads out to coat your mouth a with medium-to-light mouth feel. The roasted malts are very alive and they are very pronounced in this beer. The aftertaste is quit tame and only a hint of citrus zest and alcohol is present.

08-22-2012 03:14:32 | More by vickersspitfire
BeerIsYummy

3.08/5  rDev -20%

A stout beer readily available in most Australian bottle shops. It is a bitter stout with a reasonably good head for a bottle fermented carbonation.

It is nice and dark. Shining a light through through the beer reveals a burgundy glow.

It has a dark malty, grassy aroma.

It has a malty, tangy taste at first followed by a bitter grass like flavour.

For a bottle carbonated stoutIt feels reasonably thick and full bodied in the mouth.

07-07-2012 08:39:17 | More by BeerIsYummy
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

4.73/5  rDev +22.9%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a pitch black with a cola-like hue on the very edges through the light. An espresso-foam colored head dissipates to an uneven film. Lots of sticky lacing coat the glass. The beer smells like milk chocolate and bitter dry chocolate. The taste is exceptional -- There's a clean, dry chocolate profile to start. In the middle or end, a milk chocolate note takes over. Roasted malts, bitter chocolate, dry cocoa, milk ... it's all there, and it's delicious. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a clean dry finish.

Overall, blown away. The Aussies make an exceptional stout here. Totally dominated by a milk chocolate tone, it's just delicious and "feels" perfect. I could almost give this a perfect score, mate.

06-24-2012 04:53:07 | More by JuicesFlowing
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a pint glass. Pours black with a tall chocolate brown head that dissipates slowly. Some lacing is left on the side of the glass as the head dissipates. There is excellent head retention and the beer is completely opaque. There is also some sediment in this bottle that is visible on the bottom of the glass during consumption.

There are aromas of roasted barley malt, sweet milk chocolate, and faint hints of coffee and alcohol. You get roasted malts and that milk chocolate flavor right up front. There is that coffee type bitterness on the back end and the alcohol is not very detectable in the flavor. The body is medium with moderate carbonation. The beer is smooth and the drinkability is very high. Overall, this is an excellent stout. It covers all what you expect from a stout.

06-20-2012 23:44:43 | More by acevenom
leaddog

Alberta (Canada)

Appearance - Pours a rich dark chocolate brown with a finger width of bubbly beige head.

Smell - Chocolate, sweet aromas, roasted malts, hint of coffee bean, alcohol.

Taste - Sharp flavours of chocolate and roasted malts. Flavours are more intense in comparison to other stouts. Bit of a milkiness.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Prickly bubbles and not too dense.

Overall - A unique stout by Coopers. This is my first foreign/export stout and I'm quite surprised by the intensity of flavours. Tastes more potent than the ABV suggests. Worth seeking out.

05-18-2012 02:51:05 | More by leaddog