1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Coopers Best Extra Stout - Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Best Extra StoutCoopers Best Extra Stout

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Best Extra Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 514 | Reviews: 359 | Show All Ratings:
brewdlyhooked13

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

Appearance - standard pour into a pint glass yields only a thin covering which evaporates immediately. Brownish black in color, viewed from a strategic angle shows some brownish red shading, which I rather like. Would have liked to have seen a little more action on the head, though.

Aroma - smoky charcoal with a hint of chocolaty sweetness. That fades a bit after the pour so there's not much aromatic enhancement during the drinking. An underachiever.

Taste - my initial impression is, "Wow, my first shitty stout!". It's not really 'awful' per se, but an awful representation of the style in my opinion. After enjoying the Sparkling Ale, I had high hopes for this one as well, what a letdown. There is a decent smoky charcoal taste, no real hop presence to speak of, no carbonation worth mentioning. There is some fruity sweetness on the swallow and a bit into the aftertaste, but beyond that, there is no more development. I think this stout lacks depth. Thoroughly and sadly unimpressed, I'm actually miffed the beer is so much less than I was anticipating.

Mouthfeel - this is only 10% of the review's score, yet it is the mouthfeel that killed this beer for me. I was expecting stout-like heaviness, I got the opposite. An *extra* stout ought to be even more so in the mouthfeel department. Thin and bodiless, it does nothing to support the flavor profile, indeed, this soldier has deserted his troops on the field of battle and deserves to be shot. *I'M* gonna need a shot, at least one, to recover.

Drinkability - rare it is that I give a 1.0 to any part of a beer's review. You really have to earn a score that low, but this one earned it above. I won't follow up with another one here, after all this could be a good stepping stone to introduce someone to the stout style without choking them on an appropriately thick stout. Kind of like the Cream Ale of stouts, I guess, but I won't be buying this again unless aptly persuaded.

02-19-2004 20:38:58 | More by brewdlyhooked13
schellsbeer

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

Thought I was in for something else....

However, when I opened this bottle, I soon realized that America has the best Stouts and Porters brewed right here in the States.

Why do I keep on thinking I am going to find something extra special made outside when all of the best breweries are right here.

This beer really solidified this for me.

Ever foreign porter and stout never seem to measure up.

A - good. Dark. Black. No head.

S - somewhat of a Baltic Porter - funky is the word that I would describe it. Fresh....No.

T - Ahhh hmmm Yeahhh About the taste... Medicine???? Bitter???? Stale apples???? Never buy again????

M - simple. not complex. thin but not. hard to describe. try it and you will know what I mean.

D - No. I will never purchase this beer again. too bad that I am now off to bed with this beer as the last of the evening. What was I thinking?

Bells, Surly, Floyds, Founders, Great Lakes...don't worry....Coopers won't be taking over your corner of the market on Stouts and Porters any time soon. WOW!!!

11-11-2008 05:05:18 | More by schellsbeer
Skidz

Wisconsin

2.35/5  rDev -39%

Pours out a dark brown, finishing black with a small creamy tan head. There was some sediments floating around the bottom of the glass as well.

Smells slightly fruity, with roasted malts and hops. Wine-like aromas are present as well. Tastes....almost like nothing at all. There is a bit of woodiness mixed with some coffee-like flavors that barely come out. A pretty weak tasting beer, only a bit of bitterness at the end, but lacking any distinguishing flavor overall.

Light-medium body that could be compared to a pilsner beer. It's pretty easy to drink, considering there is little-to-no flavor to keep you away from it. Sure, you could drink a 6 pack, but why? A very weak stout IMHO.

02-29-2004 04:30:05 | More by Skidz
laituegonflable

2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a very slightly red-tinged glass of blackness with a nice espresso-coloured head of visible bubbles, about 1 finger thick but sinks quite quickly to a thin crown. Does leave some excellent lacing behind though, thin but very clingy. Looks decent, but not an amazing stout.

Nose is very sour and smoky, a lot of ash, oak and just general wood smoke. Slightly meaty aspect and a hint of tobacco. Quite acrid, really, without much of a sweet or fruity character. For all the darkness it's not very potent. Actually not very impressed.

Taste is mostly a heavy-roasted coffee character, very strong toasted grain flavour with a slight woody aspect to it, oaky or perhaps even pine, with a very light stonefruit character, plum or cherry. A slightly sweet flavour comes through on the very back, slightly latte-esque with a bit of a milky note to it.

Mouthfeel is really quite thin, with the flavour kind of releasing itself more from an emanating aroma than any substantial body. I'm really surprised to find out this is 6.3%, it feels and tastes really quite thin.

It is of course drinkable, because there's nothing outwardly unpleasant about this. It certainly has good moments, but the flavour is weak and simple, and there just isn't enough to this. If I were pressed I'd want to refer to this as a girl's stout, but really I just think it's a poor one. (Yes, pour your waves of hate on me, female beer drinkers)

07-14-2009 04:29:23 | More by laituegonflable
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.66/5  rDev -30.9%

This is our last beer from Coopers, and I am OK with that. I didn't really care for their other beers, but this one looks really good in the glass. Not sure why I didn't like the other ones, but we did their Extra Strong Vintage Ale and their Sparkling Ale. LINK THESE TO THE REVIEWS OF THE BEER We are actually running out of beers in the fridge, so we need to go shopping. But this one sounded good. We have a Christmas beer and a barleywine left. Oh, and the Firestone Walker anniversary ale. But I wanted to drink this because it's cold outside, and a beer reaching 7% is sure to warm us up this evening. Let's see what the Coopers Best Extra Stout tastes like.

In the Glass: It looks really nice in the glass. It had a certain thickness in the bottle, which is probably due to the bottle conditioning. It looks thick in the glass, with a nice thin tan head. The lace is pretty basic, but the head just hangs on. I can also smell this as it sits on my desk. I could smell it as I poured it in the glass. This has some promise.

Nose: As I was pouring this, I could smell it. I was just sniffing malt as this thick near black beer poured into the glass. After I stuck my nose in the glass, I got a mellow, almost stale (but pleasing) malty aroma. There are no hops here. Just thick malty goodness. I hope the flavor stands up to the aroma.

Flavor: It is not as thick as I expected. There are a lot of bubbles rushing around my tongue as I swallow. There are a lot of flavors, though. The flavor is actually quite complex. At first, it has a weird rubbery taste, then it smooths out, becomes somewhat dry, and some hop bitterness kicks in. Based on the aroma, you would never know there were hops in here. I think the best part if the aftertaste. I am impressed with how fast it becomes dry, and how long that flavor hangs on. For a beer that came from Australia, it also has a good price point.

Mouthfeel: Not a huge fan of the mouthfeel. It has too much carbonation and while I can tolerate bubbles, I don't want them in a stout. If I drank this in a blind taste test, I would never think this beer was a stout. Before I can even swallow, the dryness is creeping in and hangs on well into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: Hands down the best part of this beer. Before I even start to swallow, my mouth if drying. Then, in true Irish (ironic) fashion, the dryness shows up and hangs on. (By the way, the burp isn't very good. I had a black bean burger for lunch, so that might be part of it. Still tasting that!) Every time I swallow, my mouth just begs for another drink. You are get a lot of hops in the finish.

Coopers Best Extra Stout has a nice malty aroma and a lovely hoppy dry finish. I didn't have big expectations here, but I am impressed with this offering. I would like to try this not only on tap, but nitro. I bet that would mellow out the bubbles a lot. Anyway, I am impressed. Sad to see Coopers go, but there are a LOT of other beers out there for us to try!

01-29-2013 20:19:15 | More by rickyleepotts
Maestro

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

The nose makes you think that it is a milk stout but during the first taste you realize that it is not. It is bottle fermented and they may use a little too much sugar in this process. In fact, there are brown specs in the head. The head is decent at first but dwindles quickly. The taste is a little strange, almost oily. The high alcohol content is not overpowering. Overall, this beer was quite disappointing. The hops do not break through at all. It almost seems as though the brewers do not have a direct goal in mind with this beer.

11-05-2002 18:10:21 | More by Maestro
Hornet2003

British Columbia (Canada)

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

I picked this up on a whim just for something to try. Overall, it had flavours of musty, stale potatoes. A little smokey as well with some licorice taste. It looked great though. Nice chocolaty head which fades quickly leaving little lace.

Overall, not my thing, but I guess I'm not a fan of export stouts to begin with.

04-23-2008 19:29:54 | More by Hornet2003
lackenhauser

Maryland

2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Deep black in color with no real apparent head or carbonation. Very faint "ink" like aroma and not much more. Some mild roasted flavors. Deep roasted bite at first then nothing-fairly one dimensional. Ok hop bite. Rather thin and watery body wise. I had high hope for this beer-dont know why but I did. Rather a bit of a let down. There is better out there trust me.

01-30-2009 23:55:37 | More by lackenhauser
SchmoTerp

Alabama

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Not the best and certainly not the worst. Maybe I had this beer on a non-stout day. Beer feels a bit fizzy while festering on pallette....something I don't usually notice in a stout. I do not find this beer to be as bitter as described by some others. All in all, this is still a decent overall stout.

05-01-2008 00:38:22 | More by SchmoTerp
stcules

Italy

2.85/5  rDev -26%

Black. Brown foam. Stout, no doubt.
At the nose it is toasted, maybe with a very light smoked note.
The taste is very coffee, with hints of toasted hazelnut. Smooth. Maybe a little too frizzy. It left a itch sensation on the tongue.
Medium-light body, very drinkable.
Aftertaste of burned caramel, toasted. With a barely perceptible comebacking of bittering.

08-23-2004 19:39:05 | More by stcules
mwrseeley

Ontario (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Coopers Best Extra Stout's beige, almost brown head quickly pulled a disappearing act and I was soon left with a beverage resembling soy sauce. I can't comment on the lace because none adhered to my glass. I was more than a little concerned to find a lot of sediment. I am not particularly adverse to things floating in my beer if they are meant to be there. What did I observe? Well, the particles looked like seeds or tiny wood chips. I allowed them to settle in the bottom of the glass (a process that took approximately fifteen minutes) and after finishing the stout I decided to be a man and try them out for taste. Surprisingly, the sediment wasn't hard and I didn't feel a corporeal presence in my mouth. I did, however, notice that they were as bitter as all hell. Did some hops remain undissolved in my bottle? Points off, not for the sediment, but for the lack of head and lace.

The aroma was unexpectedly light and I could detect roasted coffee and alcohol. The taste started out lightly sweet and had a slight hops and alcoholic aftertaste. Not too bad. Coopers Best Extra Stout was nice on the palate; softly carbonated and creamy.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed. I think I would like to try this beer again, however, not from the same selection that was on sale in my local supermarket. It is possible that I came across a bad batch.

12-27-2003 15:28:18 | More by mwrseeley
tbeck

Washington

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a dark black with no clarity. Thin off white head that disspates quickly into a nice collar. Very little laciness. Mainly coffee in the nose. Taste seemed water downed but had coffee and chocolate notes, somewhat sweet. Not much body to this beer, thin and watery texture. Not a great beer, would not seek out as a session beer.

12-30-2008 02:40:23 | More by tbeck
tbeckett

Ontario (Canada)

Bottle from the local supermarket.

A - Pours black with a two finger medium brown, big bubbled head. Pretty good drape of lace and a half finger of retention.

S - Cola, dark chocolate, mild coffee, and nuttiness..

T - Dark breadiness, cola, burnt coffee perhaps, and some milk chocolate with some nuttiness.

M - Fairly strong carbonation, medium to full body with alot of creaminess and a dryness in the finish.

O/D - Considering this is ranked so high on the top Oz beers, this is pretty weak. In no way is this even comparable to a number of the craft examples here. This is in no way a bad beer, just not a hype worthy one, and not necessarily a good one. I wish I just had a small bottle. Decent, but not worth going out of your way for. I had no interest in finishing the bottle.

03-27-2012 10:53:02 | More by tbeckett
basica

Singapore

3.08/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

After a long shot at numerous ales and lagers, I finally tried... stouts. Believe it or not,
this's my first ever stout over Guinness and ABC stouts which were spammed like nothing at
all on the TV adverts since I was a kid. Anyway the Coopers Stout pours out coffee black with
minimal head and minimal retention. The right-in-the-face smell was a disappointing medicinal
smell which was pretty strong. Good thing the taste was not all medicinal; it was subtlely
caramel sweet like but this was countered by the bitter medicinal taste making it only ok
tasting. The after taste was a little caramel, malty but medicinal as well. (Can't seem to
escape the medicine part of it) The mouth feel was more like medium body with an apt amount of
carbonation and it was acutally very smooth drinking tho not as drinkable due to the medicinal
bitterness. I read that the Coopers stout is already a more mellow version of the stouts out in
the market. I rest my case; I am not a stout person and I will stick to my Belgian ales and
German Weizen.

06-22-2007 18:19:39 | More by basica
BeerIsYummy

3.08/5  rDev -20%

A stout beer readily available in most Australian bottle shops. It is a bitter stout with a reasonably good head for a bottle fermented carbonation.

It is nice and dark. Shining a light through through the beer reveals a burgundy glow.

It has a dark malty, grassy aroma.

It has a malty, tangy taste at first followed by a bitter grass like flavour.

For a bottle carbonated stoutIt feels reasonably thick and full bodied in the mouth.

07-07-2012 08:39:17 | More by BeerIsYummy
oCervejalista

Brazil

3.09/5  rDev -19.7%

A: totally black with a creamy coffee-like head;

S: roasted malt, coffee grains, espresso, dark chocolate;

T: lots of coffee and chocolate notes;

M: medium body with a little bitterness at the end;

O: A nice beer, it has all the caracteristics of the style, but nothing that really stands out for me.

03-08-2014 00:47:35 | More by oCervejalista
DogFood11

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Stout from australia? Not exactly an everyday type of find at least on this side of the globe. Jet black, tan head is silky smooth and leaves partial lacing as it fades to a think cover.

Something about the toasted, chocolate type mix becomes slightly astringent. Cocoa makes up the middle Bitterness is very subtle. Comes across as a watered milk stout. Pretty weak.

Lingering smokiness, lighty body, decent is being nice.

02-01-2006 05:54:48 | More by DogFood11
Stew41

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Pours very nicely with a thick, light tan head. Breaks up very quickly. Attractive chocolate brown in colour. Aromas are a touch underwhelming; mild chocolate and dry roasted malts. Good length. Fairly fizzy palate for the style and probably subdues the flavours from really hitting their straps. Again what should be obvious stout characters of chcoloate and roast is mild. Not really deserved of its top 5 Oz status. Given this beer was drank relatively young I can only assume in needs a little time to show its best.

05-08-2011 11:50:16 | More by Stew41
natelocc787

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Slightly above average taste for the style, appearance was okay but docked a half point for extreme sediment. Sediment in a stout? Wtf was Coopers thinking? Average score equals average score. Burnt and roasted notes through and through, mild dark fruit is noticed if you try hard and get the tartness in the finish. Thin mouthfeel. Hard to finish it to even 3/4 (which I did), knowing the chunks of sediment will find their way into your mouth.

02-03-2010 21:27:27 | More by natelocc787
ADR

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle conditioned, dark and full bodied, opaque. Kind of a scorched coffee flavor, starts very dense but finishes with a too bitter edge. Nicely brewed and "Guinness Extra Stout-like" but the bitterness is over the top and brings the drinkability down.

03-04-2002 10:59:20 | More by ADR
Naes

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The appearance is jet black with a small tan head that disappeared quickly.

Aroma is very little, but gives hints of malt sweetness.

The flavor has a bit of spice followed by roasted tones. The aftertaste gives hints of alcohol.

The carbonation levels are good and it leaves the slightest film over the tongue.

Overall, a decent beer. It’s a good beer for an occasional drink, but not something that I could follow with another.

06-26-2005 05:44:21 | More by Naes
Kemmerlin

Colorado

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

A: dark black with thin head and little lacing looks light in texture
S: smells of chocolate, coffee, and dank yeast.
T: tastes extremely bitter with some faint chocolate flavors from the malts but the yeast that remained in the bottle threw a untasteful dank flavor in there
M/d: lightly carbonated and dry from hops with a light syrup feeling. Not very drinkable for me definitely will not purchase again

04-18-2009 23:40:54 | More by Kemmerlin
cmaloy

Utah

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

A: The beer was very dark and the head disappeared quickly.

S: There is a strong chocolate coffee taste and strong hints of malt.

T: The initial taste was strong chocolate and coffee and ended with bitter hops. The taste did linger for a while.

M: There is a lot of carbonation. It is a very filling beer.

D: I probably will not be getting this beer again. I prefer other stouts over this one. I wasn't completely disappointed, but I wasn't extremely impressed either.

04-19-2009 04:18:37 | More by cmaloy
psugrad98

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Dark black with slight reddish hue. Nice tan head, but quick to dissapate. Roasty smell with hint of hop bitterness. Strong tasting with noticible alcohol taste. Smokey roasted flavor similar to strong coffee. Finishes somewhat dry with the strong smokey flavor finishing with a bitter biting aftertaste.

06-08-2002 09:52:27 | More by psugrad98
heygeebee

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Pours a black opaque body, with a tan head.... 1-2 fingers. Lacing stays all night...

Aromas are subject to a bit of bottle variation, with the first bottle I had giving aromas of malts, cigar boxes and chocolate, the next bottle I had, very little on the nose. Both at same temperature.

Taste is chocolate, malts and some smoke overall, balanced smoky bitter aftertaste that catches up more as the bottle warms.

Mouthfeel is thin, not what I expected, also more carbonation than I thought.

Not so sure I am with the majority here in terms of a 'classic Aussie Ale' ...

05-22-2011 12:29:18 | More by heygeebee