Coopers Best Extra Stout - Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Best Extra StoutCoopers Best Extra Stout

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Best Extra Stout Alström Bros
1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

Thought I was in for something else....

However, when I opened this bottle, I soon realized that America has the best Stouts and Porters brewed right here in the States.

Why do I keep on thinking I am going to find something extra special made outside when all of the best breweries are right here.

This beer really solidified this for me.

Ever foreign porter and stout never seem to measure up.

A - good. Dark. Black. No head.

S - somewhat of a Baltic Porter - funky is the word that I would describe it. Fresh....No.

T - Ahhh hmmm Yeahhh About the taste... Medicine???? Bitter???? Stale apples???? Never buy again????

M - simple. not complex. thin but not. hard to describe. try it and you will know what I mean.

D - No. I will never purchase this beer again. too bad that I am now off to bed with this beer as the last of the evening. What was I thinking?

Bells, Surly, Floyds, Founders, Great Lakes...don't worry....Coopers won't be taking over your corner of the market on Stouts and Porters any time soon. WOW!!!

schellsbeer, Nov 11, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

Appearance - standard pour into a pint glass yields only a thin covering which evaporates immediately. Brownish black in color, viewed from a strategic angle shows some brownish red shading, which I rather like. Would have liked to have seen a little more action on the head, though.

Aroma - smoky charcoal with a hint of chocolaty sweetness. That fades a bit after the pour so there's not much aromatic enhancement during the drinking. An underachiever.

Taste - my initial impression is, "Wow, my first shitty stout!". It's not really 'awful' per se, but an awful representation of the style in my opinion. After enjoying the Sparkling Ale, I had high hopes for this one as well, what a letdown. There is a decent smoky charcoal taste, no real hop presence to speak of, no carbonation worth mentioning. There is some fruity sweetness on the swallow and a bit into the aftertaste, but beyond that, there is no more development. I think this stout lacks depth. Thoroughly and sadly unimpressed, I'm actually miffed the beer is so much less than I was anticipating.

Mouthfeel - this is only 10% of the review's score, yet it is the mouthfeel that killed this beer for me. I was expecting stout-like heaviness, I got the opposite. An *extra* stout ought to be even more so in the mouthfeel department. Thin and bodiless, it does nothing to support the flavor profile, indeed, this soldier has deserted his troops on the field of battle and deserves to be shot. *I'M* gonna need a shot, at least one, to recover.

Drinkability - rare it is that I give a 1.0 to any part of a beer's review. You really have to earn a score that low, but this one earned it above. I won't follow up with another one here, after all this could be a good stepping stone to introduce someone to the stout style without choking them on an appropriately thick stout. Kind of like the Cream Ale of stouts, I guess, but I won't be buying this again unless aptly persuaded.

brewdlyhooked13, Feb 19, 2004

timmy2b, Aug 10, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

OldTime, Mar 10, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -39%

Pours out a dark brown, finishing black with a small creamy tan head. There was some sediments floating around the bottom of the glass as well.

Smells slightly fruity, with roasted malts and hops. Wine-like aromas are present as well. Tastes....almost like nothing at all. There is a bit of woodiness mixed with some coffee-like flavors that barely come out. A pretty weak tasting beer, only a bit of bitterness at the end, but lacking any distinguishing flavor overall.

Light-medium body that could be compared to a pilsner beer. It's pretty easy to drink, considering there is little-to-no flavor to keep you away from it. Sure, you could drink a 6 pack, but why? A very weak stout IMHO.

Skidz, Feb 29, 2004

ninaturner, Jun 23, 2013

Gtotango, Nov 06, 2012

kds2437, Jul 21, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -35.1%

Pours a very slightly red-tinged glass of blackness with a nice espresso-coloured head of visible bubbles, about 1 finger thick but sinks quite quickly to a thin crown. Does leave some excellent lacing behind though, thin but very clingy. Looks decent, but not an amazing stout.

Nose is very sour and smoky, a lot of ash, oak and just general wood smoke. Slightly meaty aspect and a hint of tobacco. Quite acrid, really, without much of a sweet or fruity character. For all the darkness it's not very potent. Actually not very impressed.

Taste is mostly a heavy-roasted coffee character, very strong toasted grain flavour with a slight woody aspect to it, oaky or perhaps even pine, with a very light stonefruit character, plum or cherry. A slightly sweet flavour comes through on the very back, slightly latte-esque with a bit of a milky note to it.

Mouthfeel is really quite thin, with the flavour kind of releasing itself more from an emanating aroma than any substantial body. I'm really surprised to find out this is 6.3%, it feels and tastes really quite thin.

It is of course drinkable, because there's nothing outwardly unpleasant about this. It certainly has good moments, but the flavour is weak and simple, and there just isn't enough to this. If I were pressed I'd want to refer to this as a girl's stout, but really I just think it's a poor one. (Yes, pour your waves of hate on me, female beer drinkers)

laituegonflable, Jul 14, 2009
2.66/5  rDev -30.9%

This is our last beer from Coopers, and I am OK with that. I didn't really care for their other beers, but this one looks really good in the glass. Not sure why I didn't like the other ones, but we did their Extra Strong Vintage Ale and their Sparkling Ale. LINK THESE TO THE REVIEWS OF THE BEER We are actually running out of beers in the fridge, so we need to go shopping. But this one sounded good. We have a Christmas beer and a barleywine left. Oh, and the Firestone Walker anniversary ale. But I wanted to drink this because it's cold outside, and a beer reaching 7% is sure to warm us up this evening. Let's see what the Coopers Best Extra Stout tastes like.

In the Glass: It looks really nice in the glass. It had a certain thickness in the bottle, which is probably due to the bottle conditioning. It looks thick in the glass, with a nice thin tan head. The lace is pretty basic, but the head just hangs on. I can also smell this as it sits on my desk. I could smell it as I poured it in the glass. This has some promise.

Nose: As I was pouring this, I could smell it. I was just sniffing malt as this thick near black beer poured into the glass. After I stuck my nose in the glass, I got a mellow, almost stale (but pleasing) malty aroma. There are no hops here. Just thick malty goodness. I hope the flavor stands up to the aroma.

Flavor: It is not as thick as I expected. There are a lot of bubbles rushing around my tongue as I swallow. There are a lot of flavors, though. The flavor is actually quite complex. At first, it has a weird rubbery taste, then it smooths out, becomes somewhat dry, and some hop bitterness kicks in. Based on the aroma, you would never know there were hops in here. I think the best part if the aftertaste. I am impressed with how fast it becomes dry, and how long that flavor hangs on. For a beer that came from Australia, it also has a good price point.

Mouthfeel: Not a huge fan of the mouthfeel. It has too much carbonation and while I can tolerate bubbles, I don't want them in a stout. If I drank this in a blind taste test, I would never think this beer was a stout. Before I can even swallow, the dryness is creeping in and hangs on well into the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: Hands down the best part of this beer. Before I even start to swallow, my mouth if drying. Then, in true Irish (ironic) fashion, the dryness shows up and hangs on. (By the way, the burp isn't very good. I had a black bean burger for lunch, so that might be part of it. Still tasting that!) Every time I swallow, my mouth just begs for another drink. You are get a lot of hops in the finish.

Coopers Best Extra Stout has a nice malty aroma and a lovely hoppy dry finish. I didn't have big expectations here, but I am impressed with this offering. I would like to try this not only on tap, but nitro. I bet that would mellow out the bubbles a lot. Anyway, I am impressed. Sad to see Coopers go, but there are a LOT of other beers out there for us to try!

rickyleepotts, Jan 29, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

The nose makes you think that it is a milk stout but during the first taste you realize that it is not. It is bottle fermented and they may use a little too much sugar in this process. In fact, there are brown specs in the head. The head is decent at first but dwindles quickly. The taste is a little strange, almost oily. The high alcohol content is not overpowering. Overall, this beer was quite disappointing. The hops do not break through at all. It almost seems as though the brewers do not have a direct goal in mind with this beer.

Maestro, Nov 05, 2002
2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

I picked this up on a whim just for something to try. Overall, it had flavours of musty, stale potatoes. A little smokey as well with some licorice taste. It looked great though. Nice chocolaty head which fades quickly leaving little lace.

Overall, not my thing, but I guess I'm not a fan of export stouts to begin with.

Hornet2003, Apr 23, 2008

jheezee, Sep 09, 2013

MallyOMight, Apr 02, 2013

rednuht, May 14, 2012

Gints316, Jun 19, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -28.6%

Deep black in color with no real apparent head or carbonation. Very faint "ink" like aroma and not much more. Some mild roasted flavors. Deep roasted bite at first then nothing-fairly one dimensional. Ok hop bite. Rather thin and watery body wise. I had high hope for this beer-dont know why but I did. Rather a bit of a let down. There is better out there trust me.

lackenhauser, Jan 30, 2009

Liondiscs, Aug 20, 2013
2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

Not the best and certainly not the worst. Maybe I had this beer on a non-stout day. Beer feels a bit fizzy while festering on pallette....something I don't usually notice in a stout. I do not find this beer to be as bitter as described by some others. All in all, this is still a decent overall stout.

SchmoTerp, May 01, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -26%

Black. Brown foam. Stout, no doubt.
At the nose it is toasted, maybe with a very light smoked note.
The taste is very coffee, with hints of toasted hazelnut. Smooth. Maybe a little too frizzy. It left a itch sensation on the tongue.
Medium-light body, very drinkable.
Aftertaste of burned caramel, toasted. With a barely perceptible comebacking of bittering.

stcules, Aug 23, 2004
2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Coopers Best Extra Stout's beige, almost brown head quickly pulled a disappearing act and I was soon left with a beverage resembling soy sauce. I can't comment on the lace because none adhered to my glass. I was more than a little concerned to find a lot of sediment. I am not particularly adverse to things floating in my beer if they are meant to be there. What did I observe? Well, the particles looked like seeds or tiny wood chips. I allowed them to settle in the bottom of the glass (a process that took approximately fifteen minutes) and after finishing the stout I decided to be a man and try them out for taste. Surprisingly, the sediment wasn't hard and I didn't feel a corporeal presence in my mouth. I did, however, notice that they were as bitter as all hell. Did some hops remain undissolved in my bottle? Points off, not for the sediment, but for the lack of head and lace.

The aroma was unexpectedly light and I could detect roasted coffee and alcohol. The taste started out lightly sweet and had a slight hops and alcoholic aftertaste. Not too bad. Coopers Best Extra Stout was nice on the palate; softly carbonated and creamy.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed. I think I would like to try this beer again, however, not from the same selection that was on sale in my local supermarket. It is possible that I came across a bad batch.

mwrseeley, Dec 27, 2003
2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Pours a dark black with no clarity. Thin off white head that disspates quickly into a nice collar. Very little laciness. Mainly coffee in the nose. Taste seemed water downed but had coffee and chocolate notes, somewhat sweet. Not much body to this beer, thin and watery texture. Not a great beer, would not seek out as a session beer.

tbeck, Dec 30, 2008