Coopers Best Extra Stout - Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Best Extra StoutCoopers Best Extra Stout

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Best Extra Stout Alström Bros

Overall I was pretty impressed with this beer. Not amazing, but still a solid brew. I got a rich roasted and smokey aroma followed by a similar taste. There was more chocolate a bit of bitter coffee in the flavor, along with that dark candy flavor found in RIS's and export stouts. This is good beer, give it a try if you can find it at a decent price.

tempest, Dec 19, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz. bottle, with a freshness date of Sept.30, 2007. Poured into a pint glass. The beer poured a nice dark chocolate, forming a small head, that quickly faded, but leaving a nice amount of lacing down the glass. The aroma is roasted coffee, with the flavor very much the same, but with the slight addition of chocolate. The mouthfeel is thick, like expected from a stout. I could easily enjoy several of these in a sitting. Overall, a very enjoyable stout, and a fine offering from Coopers Brewery.

beeragent, Dec 04, 2006
3.85/5  rDev 0%

Decent 1 1/2 finger head with good retention. Nice dark brown color.

Smell is of chocolate malts with toffee and coffee like smells. Smell is somewhat faint though.

Taste is of some caramel malts upfront with a nice tofee undertone with hints of cofee. Sweet chocolate malts are followed by a hop bitterness that only serves to cut the sweetness.

Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly creamy. It is slightly watery however.

This beer is not bad at all and I could drink a few of these at one time.

jasonjlewis, Dec 02, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep opaque black with a modest head that dissipates quickly. There are bits of yeast floating throughout. Has a molasses and dark malt smell. Full-bodied and quite tasty; coffee, and malty molasses most present. All things considered a pretty enjoyable stout.

techdiver, Nov 26, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I opened this bottle, I noticed a strange smell, sort of like cough syrup. It faded as I progressed through the beer, but the aroma never did hit me right. Mouthfeel was a little light and carbonated. Not what I was expecting, from this black-brown opaque beer. The taste was pretty good though, a bit chocolaty. But it was slightly dry and crisp.

jubnat, Nov 19, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Pours jet black with a 2 fingers deep tan head. No lacing & minimal head retention

S: Hints of chocolate & toasted malt

T: Chocolate & iron up front. I also pick up hints of oakyness & vanilla, with fruittyness as it warms. Licorice surfaces half-way through the bottle. Finishes dry with choclate & licorice

MF: Medium bodied with subtle carbonation & good balance

Drinks pretty easy, a pretty nice stout. I'd certainly buy this again

russpowell, Oct 21, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

I enjoyed this beer in that Cooper’s didn’t feel like they had to make this syrupy thick or sweet to be a good stout. Pours from the bottle to an opaque black, with dark tan head that lingers and yields to good lacing. Aroma is malty chocolate-toffee, and taste is more of the same. A good medium bodied stout, that leaves a nice smooth finish.

kimcgolf, Sep 09, 2006
4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

I was immensely dismayed to find that absolutely no head formed when I poured my glass full of this rich, dark ale. Still, the smell was so enticing I couldn't help but take a big sip. I wasn't disappointed.

What a deliciously blended stout! A deep, burnt chocolate flavor is the first to hit your tastebuds, but it doesn't hog the spotlight. The more I drank, the more the tingling aftertaste -- reminiscent of tea tree oil -- dominated my palate. I had to see how it would fare complemented by a piece of dark chocolate, and I was pleased by the results; the chocolate tasted richer and the stout developed a refreshing, minty quality, something like a dry root beer.

Though I rate this beer as highly drinkable, be warned that it is a heavy brew with a formidable alcoholic punch. Sure, those same qualities contribute to a stellar mouthfeel, but don't let this one go down too quickly.

[Outside, the workmen's jackhammers sound like alarm bells; their voices like shouting on the beach.]

davidshamoon, Sep 06, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

First beer by this brewery that I really liked. Very bold and characterful. Pours a viscous, jet black, beer that promises a lot of flavor. Smells a melded roastedness with cocoa, nuts, and cream. Tastes quite strong with the roasted barley and cocoa, with background tones of nuts, lactose, and fermentation yeastiness. Very malty, evident in flavor and heavy feel. Finishes with a heavy coffee roastedness. Very tasty, but I would prefer a lighter Milk-Stout quality an sweetness.

BEERchitect, Sep 06, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

A single 12 ounce bottle received as a gift in part of Cost Plus World Market's Beers of the World set.

The label sez: Bottle Fermented, Family brewed.

Pours a nice dark brown with a fizzy soda pop (root beer) head. The original whiff of aroma is very cola-like, but then it transitions towards roasty caramel and malts. Rich and full. The flavors are rich chocolaty and toffee with malted milk balls, sweeter rather than dry in the main body, but with a dry finish (not chalky dry like some more famous stouts). Hops give a bit of sharpness at the end.

Overall quite good, and I'm glad to have run across this Ozzie beer.

Dukeofearl, Sep 02, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Poured from a longneck, unfortunately a little near the end so a trifle yeasty leaving the beer slightly opaque. Low light-brown head. Faint roasty aroma with some alcohol notes.

Mild sharpness from the roast grain with a bitterness that is moderate but does not dominate. Light-medium bodied with some alcohol warmth on the palate. Also some fruity esters present. Medium carbonation and some lingering bitterness. Dry finish with a lingering roast aftertaste. The roast and alcohol complement each other well lending the beer good flavour without being too large.

goodbyesoberday, Aug 31, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12.7 oz single, $1.49 at Rileys...interesting find when I was desparately filling a mixed 6 pack.

appearance: poured into a great dane imperial pint glass...dark mahogany body bordering on black...creamy tan head forms and leaves a pretty good level of lacing behind

smell: in your face aromas...big milk chocolate/cocoa powder aroma hits first, coffee grounds, big roasted malt, espresso, licorice, light burnt charcoal aroma...very impressive indeed!

taste: hard to match that great aroma but this is a high quality beer no matter how you look at it, who know beer like this was being made in australia...not me obviously. flavour is rather rich but the body is a little watery for me, big cocoa powder and bakers chocolate flavour, oatmeal, burnt coffee ground, roasty malt body...odd chalky aftertaste

mouthfeel: a tad thin, otherwise smooth and creamy

drinkability: pretty good, but an odd chalky aftertaste

dirtylou, Aug 26, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle says best before 4/11/06. I bought it last month (a single bottle) and didn't pay attention to the freshness date. Oh well, I'll drink it anyway. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours black with a very small head with goes away pretty quickly. It smells like coffee, milk chocolate and malt, but the aroma isn't strong. Luckily the taste is stronger, with it tasting like coffee, malt, and dark fruits. There's also a bitter aftertaste, but it doesn't linger for too long. It has a medium body, with a decent mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. The beer goes down smooth, it's good and drinkable. Hopefully the next time I drink this it will be within it's freshness date, but overall this was a good beer and I'd like to try it again.

bluejacket74, Aug 12, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -3.1%

A: Pours pitch black with a tiny bubbly head. No lacing.

S: Malty sweet smell with anise and coffee.

T: Don't drink this one if you don't like anise or black licorice. Lots of that flavor plus roasted malt and burnt coffee.

M: Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation. Normally I wouldn't like this quality in a stout, but here it is surprisingly refreshing.

D: It took a few sips to warm up to, but I am starting to like this beer for its uniqueness. I haven't had a stout quite like this one before and will probably have more in the future.

klewis, Aug 03, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

This beer poured with very little head and is thin (for a stout) but dark in appearance. The color is a deep and pleasingly black.

The smell is simple but nice. I could have used a little more aroma but nothing to complain about.

The taste is great and balanced well with the smell. Wanted a little more flavor but simplicity means this beer goes with a lot of food. Reminds me of an unbelievable stout that’s been watered down.

Wanted a thicker and more carbonated mouthfeel.

Extremely easy to drink beer. Simple and sure to please any stout lover and stout liker equally. Most drinkable stout I’ve ever had.

absolutbc2001, Jul 31, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a virtually black color with moderate tannish head. Smell is truly fantastic with strong coffee, chocolate, dark fruit (figs, raisins, prunes, and roasted malt combining in perfect proportions. The taste, if possible, is even better than the smell with the fruits, chocolate, coffee, and malt tasting perfect. Finishes with just the right combination of sweetness and bitterness. This is one of the best beers I've yet to try. Truly a winner.

tgbljb, Jul 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

This beer is outstanding. I'm a big Guinness Extra Stout fan, and as much as it pains me to admit, Coopers whips it ass. Everything you drink Guinness for and more is found in Coopers. The major difference for me was a much smoother, less bitter aftertaste. Can't get it at home so I loaded up on this stuff during my last trip to SC and have savored it ever since. I'm hoarding this stuff like a miser rationing one bottle at a time. A: Black as the ace of spades S: mild coffee and cocoa T: Robust and flavorful, but not obtrusive or overwhelming. M: A little thinner than usually found in a lot of stouts, but it compliments the overall character of this beer so I did not penalize them for it. D: First drank this on a 90 plus degree day after walking for over a mile, and could have easily sessioned it. Thumbs up.

veech, Jul 12, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

Black in hue with ruby influences, the liquid is damn dark but I can still spot some floaties. Sadly the beige foam was only a fraction of an inch tall at the apex. Head retention was poor, the bubbles quickly faded to a thin collar. I’m not impressed. As expected there was no subsequent lacing. Overall, the appearance is decent. The body looks the part but I don’t care for headless, naked beers.

The nose is very nice. It has been awhile since I’ve had a stout like this. Sweet maltiness with plenty of caramel and milk chocolate; there are hints of charcoal, powdery malts, with a smattering of dark fruits at the finish. The nose is compact but I really like what it says. Inviting; moderate-low potency but smooth as hell. I think this might be yummy!

The palate is dry upfront with a powdery-charcoal taste, chocolate in the middle, vaguely earthy, an array of nameless dark fruits arrive. By the finish the beer turns sweet, I like that. But it does dry out at the finish. The aftertaste is semi-sweet/dry… some cherry/apple fruitiness arrived from nowhere. Wow. What a pleasant way to finish a beer. While there isn’t much complexity this is a damn nice stout. I’d happily drink this again. Hell, I think this would be very good with cheesecake or fresh fruit.

Slightly smaller than medium-full in body, the carbonation is a tickle too low, IMO. The mouthfeel is slick and almost sluggish. Even with that complaint the mouthfeel fits this beer well enough.

Easy to drink and just as likeable; that is a winning combination, IMO. Is this the best Export Stout I’ve had? No. So what, it is good and I’d happily drink it again. I just might too as I can get six-packs in Council Bluffs, IA. My bottle is dated: 04.11.06. I’ve neglected it my DBF for too long. I wonder if this would be even better ultra fresh. Coopers Original Pale Ale, well, sucked. Coopers has rallied with this beer. I can’t wait to try the rest of the Coopers beers I have. I purchased this bottle in Lawrence, KS. Worth a try.

bditty187, Jun 22, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Super black with a light brown head. It smells sweet with hints of roasted malt.

The taste is also good. It's roasted and malty and just a bit dry. There is also a creamy quality to it that carries over to the glassy mouthfeel, a hallmark of stouts.

This is a good stout. I just drank Coopers Sparkling Ale and was very impressed. It's been years since I've had Coopers beers; I'm sorry I've taken this long to try them again. At less that $1.50 a bottle here in Sarasota, they are a great value.

Shaw, Jun 21, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Pours out black in the glass with a very tiny but very dark head that evaporates quite quickly. Smells like coffee with like a lot of hazelnut creamer. Tastes very lightly chocolatey, but too watery. Not much body to speak of. Highly drinkable due to wateriness but not cuz of flavor.

JayTheFinn, Jun 17, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Much preferred to their "Sparkling Ale."

Nice black body with a light tan head that isn't too powerful nor too weak. Lacks the cola look one tends to find in F/E stouts, but this isn't bad.

Roasted, black malt smell with hints of chicory, coffee, dark chocolate and burnt sugar in the nose. The smell is faint, but there.

This fails to deliver in the taste department. What is advertised as an F/E stout comes off as an Irish Dry or English stout. Roasted malts, vety faint hops...coffee and dark chocolate notes. Tasty, but not what I've come to expect from the Foreign/Export category.

Decent mouthfeel -not under or over carbonated. Drinkable: no overpowering tastes or scents or feels, but not what I'd expect from the style.

Still, better than their Sparkling Ale.

BDTyre, Jun 16, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

Dense black with a loud fizzy tan head that quickly dissolves into nothing. Darkly roasted malt aroma - sweet, a bit of coffee, and deep fruity esters. Blackened burnt malt flavors: bittersweet chocolate and caramel. Medium-full mouthfeel - drying with prickly carbonation. Pretty tasty.

wedge, Jun 16, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Pours a dark brown/black color, some carbonation, tiny head, some lacing throughout the drink.

S - Scents of sweet malts, toffee, chocolate, and caramel.

T - Very nice taste, sweet and toffe like. Nice dry finish.

M - Medium body.

D - Drinkable. Very nice brew from Coopers, way better than a Guiness.

Wasatch, Jun 16, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer poured a rich black with a tan head. The aroma was of toasty malt . The taste was of lightly toasted malt, a little coffee, and a nice alcohol burn. The feel was heavy and dry. This was a fine stout to wrap up a nice evening of fine food and good beer. A stout that I would like to keep on hand if available.

claytri, Jun 05, 2006
4.03/5  rDev +4.7%

12.7 oz. bottle with an interesting shape. It pours black with ruby tinges and a small, fizzy brown head. The predominant aroma is sweet blackberry jam, but there are also notes of dark chocolate/cocoa, coffee, and maybe cherries. Very nice. The taste is a little simpler with mainly coffee and chocolate and a medium bitterness. It has a medium body that is both too thin and a bit high in carbonation for my liking. It's good, but I wouldn't actively seek it out again.

mmmbeer, Jun 01, 2006