Coopers Best Extra Stout - Coopers Brewery Limited

Coopers Best Extra StoutCoopers Best Extra Stout

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website

Foreign / Export Stout |  6.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-15-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Best Extra Stout Alström Bros
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Dark ruby brown almost black big chunks of nice tan head leaves some lacing down my sampling glass. Aroma: Soft chocolate stronger coffee notes, soft molasses and vanilla notes there as well. Taste: Creamy chocolate edge awesome coffee burst bready note from the excess of yeast floaties in my glass, very nice flavor. Mouthfeel: Medium bodied stout glad I finally gave this jewel a try smooth carbonation can't complain. Drinkability: Pass on the Foster's search for something from the Coopers line great extra stout excellent balance nice sweetness happy with this one.

05-15-2004 06:01:00 | More by WVbeergeek
aracauna

Georgia

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

Lightly hoppy, the hops make a pleasant impression, but mildness of the roast in the aroma doesn't bode well. The flavor follows up as slightly chocolatey with a little ash. The body is a bit lively with makes this a pretty drinkable beer, but a boring stout.

04-26-2004 12:22:05 | More by aracauna
twilight

Germany

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

I tried. I really tried pouring a head on this one, but it just disappeared. Like that. Nevertheless, it is black as night: dark, dark, and beautiful. Aroma is slightly alcoholic, with a delicious thick scent of caramels or butterscotch, the smell is almost- I said almost cloying. Imagine that. The taste is good, roasts and sourness with the slightest hint of burn caramel opens the taste, and finishes off to a coffeeroast-like ending with a tang of alcohol at the end.I was surprised that it's not sweeter, considering the sweetness dominates the aroma. It tastes better than most other stouts I've had Mouthfeel is okay, carbonation is slightly fizzy, but definitely not intrusive. It seems a bit thin, but only because of the roast not backed up with more malt. Alas. An excellent, good stout.

04-13-2004 23:28:16 | More by twilight
jsolack

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance:
Very dark brown. Head is strong at first but fades kinda quick. Very nice looking.

Smell:
Has a coppery smell that isn't that great. Some grains and hops come through.

Taste:
Smooth flavor very even. Not too sweet and has some charcol hints. This would be a great beer to have with some steak.

Mouthfeel:
Smooth and crisp in mouth. Not as heavy as I would have expected. Overall this is pretty refreshing.

Drinkabiility:
A very nice beer. Smooth tasting and not too heavy. If it wasn't for the off smell (maybe I just have a bad one?) I would be much more excited about this beer.

03-08-2004 15:52:51 | More by jsolack
donnebaby

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

This beer looks fantastic; I couldn't ask for a nicer looking stoutish creature than this one: active head, impenetrable black body. Moderate lacing.

The nose has the roasted malt and molassas that I expect, as well as some sweet, dusty, graham cracker elements. Yummy.

The taste fills the mouth, despite not being all that aggressive, which I attribute to a good mouthfeel. The taste reminds of crunching down on coffee beans stolen out of the canister. Dusty and earthy roasted coffee. This beer fills the mouth, gets its flavor across, and fades; it's a nice trip and a well put together brew.

Smooth drinking. Hops added in at the end complement well the bitterness of the coffee. I could drink 3 or 4 of these. Not too heavy. Spunky.

03-06-2004 08:57:29 | More by donnebaby
Skidz

Wisconsin

2.35/5  rDev -39%

Pours out a dark brown, finishing black with a small creamy tan head. There was some sediments floating around the bottom of the glass as well.

Smells slightly fruity, with roasted malts and hops. Wine-like aromas are present as well. Tastes....almost like nothing at all. There is a bit of woodiness mixed with some coffee-like flavors that barely come out. A pretty weak tasting beer, only a bit of bitterness at the end, but lacking any distinguishing flavor overall.

Light-medium body that could be compared to a pilsner beer. It's pretty easy to drink, considering there is little-to-no flavor to keep you away from it. Sure, you could drink a 6 pack, but why? A very weak stout IMHO.

02-29-2004 04:30:05 | More by Skidz
joecast

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

well, just about the biggest head ive seen on a beer so far. im talking ENORMOUS!!! pouring into a glass about 1/3 larger than the bottle and i had to stop half way through. head forms fine, biege, and rocky. just lovely.
the head leaves an attractive lacing down the sides of the glass.
very mild aroma. a bit of roast malt and coffee.
again, a mild roasted flavor to it. no harshness. maybe im not tuned into stouts enough to pick up on the other subtle aspects of them yet.

re-review 30/7/05
well, over a year since my first review. thought id go back and try this again. ok, actually i couldnt find anything more interesting at the bottle shop.

appearance is still fantastic. head was a bit more controled, and dark tan in color.

much more pronounced aroma. nice roasted and warming on the nose.

taste also dominated by strong dark roasted malts. balancing bitterness, but the focus is malt.

much happier with this brew the second time around. a very good stout that delivers what is expected. score adjusted accordingly.

02-24-2004 11:58:46 | More by joecast
RoyalT

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance – This one is black as night with a very dark, blackened head.

Smell – This nose shows a lot of promise. The bulk of the aroma is made up of the dark, roasted malts and burnt coffee. Behind that, the lovely dark chocolate and cocoa notes mix with some refined sugars to give it an extra kick. The bouquet ends with the tease of darkened fruits and cherries.

Taste – The entire nose shows up at the tongue but takes a step back. This is not a full-bodied, all on assult of the taste buds. Instead, this one plays lightly in the mouth, making this a potentially really good session stout (yes, there is such a thing as a session stout).

Mouthfeel – This one is medium-bodied and a little thinner than I prefer, but good nevertheless. It’a actually a little milky creamy in the cheeks.

Drinkability – Very smooth. This one went down well enough. It’s not the heavy hitter that was hinted at the nose, but an excellent medium-bodied effort.

02-20-2004 02:16:58 | More by RoyalT
brewdlyhooked13

1.98/5  rDev -48.6%

Appearance - standard pour into a pint glass yields only a thin covering which evaporates immediately. Brownish black in color, viewed from a strategic angle shows some brownish red shading, which I rather like. Would have liked to have seen a little more action on the head, though.

Aroma - smoky charcoal with a hint of chocolaty sweetness. That fades a bit after the pour so there's not much aromatic enhancement during the drinking. An underachiever.

Taste - my initial impression is, "Wow, my first shitty stout!". It's not really 'awful' per se, but an awful representation of the style in my opinion. After enjoying the Sparkling Ale, I had high hopes for this one as well, what a letdown. There is a decent smoky charcoal taste, no real hop presence to speak of, no carbonation worth mentioning. There is some fruity sweetness on the swallow and a bit into the aftertaste, but beyond that, there is no more development. I think this stout lacks depth. Thoroughly and sadly unimpressed, I'm actually miffed the beer is so much less than I was anticipating.

Mouthfeel - this is only 10% of the review's score, yet it is the mouthfeel that killed this beer for me. I was expecting stout-like heaviness, I got the opposite. An *extra* stout ought to be even more so in the mouthfeel department. Thin and bodiless, it does nothing to support the flavor profile, indeed, this soldier has deserted his troops on the field of battle and deserves to be shot. *I'M* gonna need a shot, at least one, to recover.

Drinkability - rare it is that I give a 1.0 to any part of a beer's review. You really have to earn a score that low, but this one earned it above. I won't follow up with another one here, after all this could be a good stepping stone to introduce someone to the stout style without choking them on an appropriately thick stout. Kind of like the Cream Ale of stouts, I guess, but I won't be buying this again unless aptly persuaded.

02-19-2004 20:38:58 | More by brewdlyhooked13
Erix

Vermont

3.48/5  rDev -9.6%

Served cold, in a taster glass.
Appearance: This poured very dark, with some reddish hues around the edges. Moderate carbonation, yielding a tan, smallish head.
Smell: Roasted malt, a little sourness I've come to associate with a lot of porters and stouts that smells almost like green olives. A little alcohol. Not too sweet.
Taste: Rather tasty, quite toasty. Pleasant, but not great. A little sourness in with the dark malt flavors. Ends with a flavor of burnt toast and alcohol.
Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, but the body is a little thin. Some residual warming from the alcohol.
Drinkability: I could have a few of these, but it would not be my first nor fifth choice of a stout.

02-17-2004 02:05:10 | More by Erix
sulldaddy

Connecticut

3.93/5  rDev +2.1%

This brew pours pitch black into my smaple glass. There is no light escaping. A soft creamy tan head foams up easily and fades very slowly to a surface layer throughout the sampling.
Aroma has hints of chocolate, molasses and roasted malt.
First sip reveals a light gentle carbonation that bubbles along my tongue and paves the way for the thick bodied brew coming through.
Flavor is rich and malty with mild coffee notes up front. The finish is sweet chocolate with mild roast flavor and no hops anywhere.
This is a very smooth and easy drinking stout. I would buy it again to share but not for a special occasion.

02-13-2004 05:16:01 | More by sulldaddy
arizcards

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

This stout is colored "dead of the middle of the night" black. Virtually no head deveploped with my pour. The aroma of toasted malts was very prevelant. The taste was a smooth toasted malt start with a nice little bitter hop finish. This has a moderately heavy mouthfeel. This is not a bad stout, much better than the pale ale from the same brewery.

02-07-2004 02:25:48 | More by arizcards
BCMan

3.35/5  rDev -13%

This beer pours up nice generating a nice head but it fades as quickly after is builds. The appearance is very dark. I didn't hold it to a light but I doubt any light would get through. The nose is sweet with chocolate notes. The taste is like cocoa, maybe some chocolate malt. I'm a bit dissapointed with how thin it is. I like a stout to be more on the heavey side. Bottle conditioning left a lot of sediment in the glass. An aggressive pour in attemp to generate some foam made it hard to keep the sediment in the glass. I hope my love for stouts isn't making me give this brew special treatment. A good beer to try but I'd look to purchase so many other brands before this one.

02-04-2004 01:28:11 | More by BCMan
GreatPondBrewer

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Opened with a loud sounds of gases escaping the bottle. Poured a black without much of a head just a thing ring and slick of tan. Smelled heavily of espresso and sweet sweet chocolate with mollassas pulling at my nose. Taste was a little too cloying with a kinda wet sloppy brown sugar taste and more overly sweetness everywhere. Mouthfeel was overly thin for an export stout, tiny carbonation bubbles but too watery. Overall a decent beer, but nothing to write home about.

01-03-2004 23:25:14 | More by GreatPondBrewer
mwrseeley

Ontario (Canada)

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

Coopers Best Extra Stout's beige, almost brown head quickly pulled a disappearing act and I was soon left with a beverage resembling soy sauce. I can't comment on the lace because none adhered to my glass. I was more than a little concerned to find a lot of sediment. I am not particularly adverse to things floating in my beer if they are meant to be there. What did I observe? Well, the particles looked like seeds or tiny wood chips. I allowed them to settle in the bottom of the glass (a process that took approximately fifteen minutes) and after finishing the stout I decided to be a man and try them out for taste. Surprisingly, the sediment wasn't hard and I didn't feel a corporeal presence in my mouth. I did, however, notice that they were as bitter as all hell. Did some hops remain undissolved in my bottle? Points off, not for the sediment, but for the lack of head and lace.

The aroma was unexpectedly light and I could detect roasted coffee and alcohol. The taste started out lightly sweet and had a slight hops and alcoholic aftertaste. Not too bad. Coopers Best Extra Stout was nice on the palate; softly carbonated and creamy.

To tell you the truth, I was a bit disappointed. I think I would like to try this beer again, however, not from the same selection that was on sale in my local supermarket. It is possible that I came across a bad batch.

12-27-2003 15:28:18 | More by mwrseeley
beergeek279

3.85/5  rDev 0%

Served in the 12.7 oz bottle. The color is black, with a wisp of white head. The smell is a nice roasted malt. The taste is a very dry, strong roasted malt taste. Mouthfeel is very heavily carbed. Drinkability, could probably have another one.

Not bad...probably the best of the 3 Coopers sent to America. A decent Export stout that I would likely have again.

11-20-2003 05:04:27 | More by beergeek279
Quaffer

Nevada

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance: This was a very dark beer that let only a minimal amount of ruddy brown light through around the edges. It had a weak-ass head that was coarse, brown, and fizzy. It flashed off in no time, leaving nothing but a thin ring around the edge of the glass. This, of course, meant that there was no lacing. It had the look of an imperial stout as it sat there in the pint glass, all thick, black, and headless.

Smell: Fresh after the pour, a sharp aroma of tart cherries dominated the smell of the dark liquid. This was combined with smoke, BBQ, and charred wood. As the beer warmed up, though, the smoke and heavily roasted aromas started to dominate the nose. There was a dark malt smell that added a good bottom end to the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Border line full-bodied beer that had a nice, viscous feel to it. It was velvety and just barely tickled the tongue. It was close to being perfectly smooth. Very nice.

Taste: The flavor upfront was sharp dark fruit that was borderline vinuous. It bit at the tip of the tongue, but quickly subsided as some roasted malt flavors emerged. There was smoke on the finish and a nice burnt flavor. Some residual sweetness lingered, but it was light. There had to have been some hops in there to balance this brew out, but it blended well and did its job without standing out.

This was my first time with this beer and I must say that I am impressed. Coopers did a good job with this one.

11-12-2003 04:04:09 | More by Quaffer
diablo14

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

a marvellous robust, balls and all stout that never fails to hit the spot, coopers brew which i rate as the best stout in this country by a considerable way.

pours oily and dark, with a thick but beady tan head. also a dark yeast sediment which makes it look slightly cloudy despite its color. roasted, slightly smokey aroma with mocha like touches and some nutty sweetness. very full bodied, the flavor has a campfire like smoke character, with coffee, some chocolate, dry roasted nuts and an element of saltiness which lends itself to a very dry but still rich finish. one other thing i really like this is a gives you the lovely warm glow a stout should each time you drink it.

goes great with seafood, or with anything deep or pan fried. its interesting to compare this with the old stout, which is the same beer aged in barrels for a further 6 months. i tend to prefer this as i like its bold, in your face nature which is not something you find in a lot of reasonably priced stouts. one of my favorite aussie beers.

11-04-2003 11:54:43 | More by diablo14
DagFishHead

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Dark brown color is attractive but not classic stout black. Dark brown head, coursely bubbled, and fairly quick to disappear. Almost no lacing. Residue from bottle conditioning is curious at first, but doesn't affect a great taste experience.
Smells exquisite. Coffee, molasses, huge malt and roasted malt nose. A whiff of alcohol as well.
Taste is big malt, sweet, slight alcohol warmth, smoke, then somewhat dry finish. A lot going on in the mouth here, but all very balanced.
Carbonation level is perfect and tingly. Very enjoyable.
Mouthfeel slightly watery for the style, but not distracting.
Very drinkable... I could sit for 3 or 4 of these.

10-25-2003 02:58:42 | More by DagFishHead
AtLagerHeads

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Can't quite put my finger on what disappointed me about this beer, but I believe it was the thiness of the feel. I've come to want more of a fullness in the body of stouts and this just seemed a bit watery and thin.

The body was dark and opaque, there was only a small token head, and minimal lacing. The aroma was light and gave off small hints of roasted coffee. The flavor was good, though even here it seemed more an oatmeal than a strong stout.

I was expecting more, but I'd have to admit that this was drinakble, if not exceptional, beer.

10-01-2003 03:14:44 | More by AtLagerHeads
putnam

4.13/5  rDev +7.3%

black.

Smells of cowboy coffee and hot cast-iron almost create a sound of crackling green wood burning underneath the bouquet. Roasted, but not burnt, this is an intriguing smell. Notes of toasted hazelnuts, and other sweet nuts are also abundant.
In the mouth it's clean and slightly watery. No more so than hundreds of other commercially successful stouts and porters, but I was hoping for authority here. No, this is a stout with loads of character, well-balanced, integrated...it's only missing an element of viscosity to make it perfect. Drink it on a camping trip.

08-11-2003 23:48:37 | More by putnam
beerguy101

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Dark Black Color. Medium head. Aroma is chocolate, roasted malts and bananas (?). A medium bodied stout. Roasted malts are balanced by a very surprising fruitiness. A touch of banana and vanilla. Nicely balanced. A very drinkable milder stout. Nice. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is slightly sweet.

08-07-2003 02:43:17 | More by beerguy101
alexgash

Connecticut

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours very black with a quickly dissipating light-brown, medium-sized head. Smells of roasted coffee and dark chocolate, and alcohol. Tastes much like it smells. Wood and coffee up front with a dry, slightly bitter finish. Pretty good balance overall. Mouthfeel was a little thin, but smooth. I could drink several, but then again, I am partial to stouts.

07-15-2003 13:04:56 | More by alexgash
granger10

Wisconsin

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

This is an interesting stout because it had some characteristics of an imperial stout but it was very thin in body. Lots of chocolate and coffee taste. A good level of hoppiness made this beer really balanced. The finish was dry and roasted. This was a solid, but not spectacular beer.

07-15-2003 07:51:27 | More by granger10
francisweizen

Alaska

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

This sweet and slightly astringent stout beer poured a nice black colour into my glass. The aromas were of dark roasted malts, specialty grains and hops. The taste was a bit too sweet for my liking but it was dry and nice, none-the-less. The mouthfeel on this beer was pretty thick, but not too thick. The drinkability was pretty good as well. This was a decent stout,l but not one of the best, that I have had....
-F