Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale - Coopers Brewery Limited

good

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

English Strong Ale |  7.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-07-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale Alström Bros
4.06/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

2010 conditioned. Amber brownish color. It made a thin head with low retention. Last poured gave a few floating particles.
Pleasant fruity and woody aroma, notes of caramel and earthy and floral hops.
Nice malty and flavorful taste with a spicy and refreshing sensation. Hints of tangerines, apple, pepper, and brandy. Nice hoppiness on the background. Dry and hoppy and condimented aftertaste.
Medium body and low to medium carbonation. 7.5% abv is harmonic.
I did like this beer, not too heavy, still flavorful and hoppy. I wonder how it would be if I drank it in another couple of years or younger. Though after 3 years it showed up as a great beer, maybe at its peak.

FLima, Feb 02, 2013

jheezee, Dec 10, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

buckyp, Dec 07, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

A: cloudy brown with a hue of orange

S: Fruity smell, slight bread and hop smell

T: A balance between the malts and the hops, the fruit taste is what stands out.

M: Smooth with a light carbonation.

O: The side of the bottle did say to pour with care because there is sediment in the bottom of the bottle, I pour first and read second. It would be easy to drink more than one of these beers in a sitting. Overall a pleasant beer and I would buy again.

NHSTEVE, Dec 02, 2012

djrn2, Nov 22, 2012

boudreaux, Nov 19, 2012

Danobold, Nov 17, 2012

sneaks2210, Nov 14, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Gtotango, Nov 06, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +8%

I am not sure if I have had anything from this brewery, but my recent obsession with cellaring beers has me excited. The picture in the book shows a 2007, and while we didn't find that one at Total Wine & More, we grabbed a bottle from 2008. I can't imagine there is a huge difference. It was also interesting to learn that they have people tasting, expert tasters as it were, making sure that Coopers beers taste the same over time for consistency. This beer doesn't go through that, but I have a lot of hopes for this one. Let's start drinking, shall we?

In the Glass: It looks like syrup in the glass. That is exactly what I had expected, too. For the ABV and the price on a beer like this, most will light up a cigar and take his or her time enjoying this one. It's not a chugging beer, rather a beer you can sit back and relax with. There is practically no head, and a very thin, boring lace. Perfect!

Nose: This is right out of the fridge, but there is a malty sweetness to it that I love. It reminds me, from the look in the glass to the powerful aroma, of the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. Not the same by any means, but something you will take your time to appreciate and the experience will be worth every second. Let's see what this beer tastes like!

Flavor: Oh yeah, buddy. That's what I'm talking about! Again, super cold. And I will let it sit here for a little bit before I take another drink, but there is a smoothness to it, then you are hit with those malty flavors and you can almost taste the word "vintage" in the beer. You have to remember, this beer was brewed and bottled back in 2008. Each bottle has a "best after" date on it, and this one has been sitting in the bottle so long, the "best after" date has rubbed off. But according to what it said in the book, 2-3 years before you should even consider drinking this.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is boring at first, but as you take a second and third sip, you start to appreciate the flatness of the beer, and focus on the flavors and the overall complexity of the beer. Even when I tried swooshing it around in my mouth, there are hardly any bubbles. Looking at the website, and seeing Thomas Cooper's face makes me realize just how much work goes into making a good craft beer. This is a good craft beer.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is sweet and malty, just as I expected. Maybe I drink too much, but I could tell you what the entire experience was going to be like before I even took my first sip! That's OK, it was fun proving myself right! I am sure there will be beers along the way that will surprise me. I hope so, or this will be a boring ride.

I was a little worried that the bottle/label didn't say "extra strong" on it. But upon further research, I found that it is in fact the same beer. I have this obsession with finding the exact bottle in the book, from the size to the label. I know we won't be able to do that the entire way, but when we can, I like to match the list. Big fan of the Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale. I might buy another one tonight at work! Bottoms up, people!

Coopers Extra Strong Vintage Ale - The bottle says: "Coopers Vintage has been brewed with choice malts and extended top fermentation to provide a strong flavorsome ale. Stored under cellar conditions the rig and full flavor of Coopers Vintage will become more complex over an extended period."

"Coopers Ales and Stout are brewed using the centuries old top fermentation method and natural bottle conditioning, resulting in a characteristic fine sediment forming on the base of the bottle. This sediment is completely natural and can be gently mixed before stinking or poured carefully leaving the sediment in the bottle."

rickyleepotts, Oct 27, 2012

RblWthACoz, Oct 21, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +11.3%

This is the 2008 vintage that I have been aging in my cellar for a few years now. Poured into a Brooklyn Brewery snifter. I was extremely careful to not pour the thick sediment into the glass. Great amount of carbonation, with excellent lacing. Garnet ruby red body with orange highlights. Very nice looking beer. Smell was earthy and yeasty. Taste was very pleasurable. Malt, raisins, toffee, and fresh bread were highlights. Mouthfeel was the biggest surprise, so extra points here. It held up well over the time in the cellar, and it was mighty smooth. If I could go back, I would definitely buy a few more for a mere $3 each and age some for 5 years and beyond just to see if it can get better. But it's pretty great tasting at 4 years, no doubt.

morebeergood, Oct 16, 2012

JohnK17, Oct 09, 2012

schopenhauerale, Oct 09, 2012

t0rin0, Sep 16, 2012

mungus, Sep 04, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +12.6%

2008 vintage, poured into a snifter. Reviwed the first time in 2010. Below is the first review, followed by updates 2 years later for the same beer bought at the same time.

The body is rusty orange and full of bubbles. The clarity isn't the best, as a slight haze keeps this from being very clear. The sediment in the bottle didn't end up in the pour but it was very easily roused. The pour is crowned with two fingers of off-white head that rises in the middle to form a little mountain rising out of my glass- very picturesque. Very good lacing and retention.

The nose is much more interesting than I expected from other reviews. Full of a surprisingly strong alcoholic fruit, mainly figs and over-ripe plums, but some currants and raisins show up as well. The remnants of some English hops show as well in a very "vintage" type smell. This is obviously 2 years old. A little malt is also present but is very mellow.

As opposed to the nose, roasted malts form the bulk of the flavor. Sweet and soft malty dark fruits show up first and are quite nice in the mouth. Then the flavor experience takes and interesting turn. A much sharper than expected bitterness rushes in and shows that the hops are far from gone. A little astringent but still quite balancing and nice. The hops no longer are crisp but still do their job well. Alcohol and a little burnt caramel also make an appearance.

The mouthfeel is medium and not heavy or thick. Carbonation is still quite good and serves to keep this from sticking on the palate. Nice. Drinkability is slightly off set by the surprising bitterness, but is still good because of the dark fruit sweetness that is infused in the flavor.

Conclusion: Wow! I wasn't expecting much from this beer from the other reviews but I am surprised at the grace with which this has aged. I think it could go longer in the bottle and I am now wishing I had bought more than two. I found it at a local store but have never seen it there before, which makes me wonder how they got a hold of some 2008? Maybe it got lost in their storeroom and they found it and put it in the cooler at a cheap price. Anyway, this is a nice example of the style, though not the best I have tried. My guess is that it would be nice fresh as well.

2012 review:
Still pours with carbonation; enough to form a half finger of off-white head that shows nice retention. The body is a slightly muddier version of the rusty bold orange I saw two years ago. Mostly unchanged.

The aroma is more watery, with the same ripe fruit/alcohol smell with even more of the life drained out of it. The overall character has mellowed, but there is a nice dried fruit aroma which seems to be a reincarnated and more balanced version of the previous aroma. I also think I smell shortbread cookies.

The flavor has become very mellow. The bold malts and bitter hop remains are not to be found. What is left is a slightly watery dried fruit and lightl malt flavor, with just a hint of savory burnt nuts at the end. The oxidation is almost not apparent. Once again, this beer has surprised me.

The mouthfeel still has life in it, but the body is gone. Without carbonation this would be a chore, but there is ample carbonation to keep this very much alive on the palate. It is interesting how little body there is left.

Conclusion: Very nice at 2 years and at 4. Could it go longer? Yes I think it could, but not past 5 or so years, and not without good cellar conditions. I really enjoyed seeing this evolve into something good but different. Now I want to taste it fresh.

allforbetterbeer, Sep 04, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

Best after June 16, 2009. 2009 vintage.

A: Not much head and minimal lacing.

S: Raisins, not very sweet dried fruit, sherry.

T: Dried fruit and sherry again. Leafy, woodsy hops and a dry finish. Not too sweet or cloying, and hoppier than I had expected. alcohol is well hidden.

M: Surprisingly bubbly and thinner than expected.

O: An interesting beer to have tried...

greybeardloon, Aug 23, 2012

danthehopslamman, Aug 15, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -13.5%

A - Pours a lively amber crested by a finger of dense foamy off white head and sticky lacing.

S - Bready english malt, sugar, yeast, some sweet grain.

T - Grain, sweet corn, alcohol, salt, metal, faint grassy hops.

M - Highly carbonated, thin light watery body, alcoholic heat evident.

O - Somewhat disappointed in this. Too hot and spritzy for what it offers in terms of flavour and complexity.

dansmcd, Aug 13, 2012