Coopers Clear - Coopers Brewery Limited

poor

Coopers Brewery Limited visit their website
Australia

American Pale Lager |  4.50% ABV

(Beer added by: lacqueredmouse on 01-23-2010)
Reviews by vancurly:

vancurly, Dec 27, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -24.2%

Vanz, Feb 06, 2014
2.1/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours gold with a fading head.
Nose shows macro-like cooked vegetables, faint lemon and light malt. Pretty boring.
A bit of light malt as a flavours too, but very little else. Very low bitterness too.
Seems sweet.
Too much carbonation.
Poor form Coopers, poor form.

CrazyDavros, Dec 28, 2012

Kroehny_Loves_Hops, May 08, 2014

Jake321, Oct 21, 2012
2.5/5  rDev +26.3%

I had high expectations for this beer however I was sadly disappointed. Very clear straw colour. Moderate carbonation. Aroma is fruity with hints of hop, slight bread smell. Taste is extremely subtle with almost no dominate flavours, almost metallic. Very low to almost no bitterness. Non-existent mouthfeel. Not a true dry finish and no lingering flavour notes. Tastes like a watered-down mid strength. No character or body. Would not recommend. Very poor form from Coopers.

CairnsBeer, Sep 20, 2014

mungus, Jan 23, 2013
1.68/5  rDev -15.2%

So full disclosure. I bought this beer with every intention of hating it. I was very much opposed to the concept of Coopers putting out another low carb, piss clear beer into an already saturated marketplace. But I figured that if I was going to be opposed to it, I should at least be informed about it. So let's see where we get with this one.

So from the dubious clear glass bottle, I can already see before the pour that it's a very pale, but bright and clear yellow colour. It fills the glass with an initially frothy airy head of white foam, that dissipates reasonably quickly to a ring of film around the edge. Decent carbonation. Overall, it's a reasonably good looking lager - it's hard to dispute that.

Light banana and baked beans on the nose, with some bready yeast and a phenolic resinous note of POR. Even a slight DMS sweetness. In any case, most of the characters just reek of the most classic adjunct lager. Can't say I'm overly enamoured.

Taste is very similar, slightly sweet corn-like character on the front, with a light Ringworm character on the back, that grates a little like chlorinated water. But very, very little on it. Body is thin and flat, extremely weak, Mouthfeel is very light, but has this slightly gritty feel like liquefied sandpaper. No, I don't like this at all.

This absolutely lived up to my expectations for it. It was just as bad as I had hoped; thin, fizzy, weak and offensive. To be fair, I dislike the concept of this beer more because Australia really doesn't need another flavourless low carb offering on the market. No matter who brewed it, I would hate it, but the fact that it's Coopers, who do brew some otherwise drinkable beers, who have foisted this travesty on us makes me very disappointed.

lacqueredmouse, Jan 23, 2010
1.98/5  rDev 0%

Like laqueredmouse I had low expectations but felt obliged to try a popular style by a credible Brewery.
Unfortunately even my low expectations wer not met.
Apart from the apearance I thought this rather awful.
It was unidimensional, from tip of tongue to gullet.
It possessed a bland flavour of what I thought was adjunct malt and a bitterness that was neither pleasant or invigorating.
One could assume (a) Coopers are competent and make a good version of this style , in which case I conclude (again) that Low Carb beer is not for me
(b)Coopers made a bad version of a style that could be ok (I am yet to find it )
This is for drinking on a stinking hot summers day as a last resort

jarmby1711, Sep 02, 2010

A - Straw liquid with a film of pale white head, no lacing. and lackluster appearance

Smell - Sweet pale malt and some after thought of hops

Taste - Metalic and bland. Thin body and devoid of much flavour. Lemony hops and a sweet adjuct DMS sweetness make this all a real miss.

Mouthfeel - Thin body with a hash bite on the tounge, same old

Drinkability - Great for those who dont like beer, but coopers is a beer making company and this is closer to something else. I dont know what the hell Coopers think they are doing? They have a perfectly respectable line. I Suppose trying to tap into the ever growing race for the most tasteless beers. It just really spoils their otherwise proud lineup. Stick to the classic coopers.

Finite, Nov 01, 2010

XsoldoutX, Sep 14, 2013
2.05/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Crystal clear, straw colour with a fluffy white head. The head dissipates away very quickly.

Metallic, lemony, appley aroma. Not good.

Okay, so it's a pale lager, that doesn't mean metallic and otherwise flavourless. There is a hint of sweetness as well but the whole thing is dull and not at all tasty.

The mouthfeel is insipid. Medium-light body. Moderate carbonation. Slightly slippery.

Okay so its liquid and dull but I'm not having another.

dgilks, Oct 31, 2010
2.85/5  rDev +43.9%

Appearance - 2.0
A finger of white head fizzes and gradually reduces to thin, patchy layer over a clear, straw coloured body.

Smell - 2.5
Powerful nasal inhilation is need to detect any aroma. All I get is grainy pale malt becoming sweet towards the end. No off notes.

Taste - 3.0
Very, very light and lacking in body of flavour, though very crip, clean and refreshing. For an all malt lager there is a disappointing lack of character, flavours consisting of grain and husk with a slight lemony note from the hops. Finishes dry with a little POR metal.

Mouthfeel - 3.0
Fizzy and gassy, as is the norm for the style. Thin body, slightly coarse over the tongue.

Drinkability - 3.0
Nothing to dislike, but nothing to like either. Not for people who like beer.

OVERALL - 2.7
I can see why Coppers brewed "Clear" - it is perfect for the growing market of people who like their beer as close to tasteless as possible. No reason for regular Coopers drinkers to bother though, as it has pehaps 1% of the character of their regular, cloudy brews. I want to score it lower, but it is actually quite well made for what it is.

LittleCreature, Mar 01, 2010