Vancouver Islander Lager - Vancouver Island Brewery

Vancouver Island Brewery visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

American Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: bobsy on 05-26-2009

Islander Lager is the only local lager brewed on island time, the island way. Made with theonly four ingredients you need to make a lager: Barley, hops, yeast and water, Islander will never use additives, preservatives, fillers or frilly stuff (aka limes). Islander is brewed with a commitment to our communities because without them, we would not exist.
Reviews by CrazyMike:
2.72/5  rDev +38.8%

Pale yellow appearance with little head that quickly dispears, no lacing. Smell consists of corn, grain, grass and cooked vegetables. Hard to pick up though.

Taste is similar to your average adjunct lager, sweet corn along with grain, grass and a hint of malt. Metallic and dull cooked vegetable taste. Light bodied with low carbonation. Finish is a dry, corn taste.

Vancouver Island Lager? More like Lucky Lager, this tastes like your average bargain beer. It's drinkable, but boring with no features that stand out. Can't believe I tried this at a fancy restaurant.

3.5/5  rDev +78.6%

I don't even know where to begin. I can say with absolute certainty that this has to be one of the biggest abominations I have ever had the unfortunate luck to experience when it comes to beer. Just smelling it as I lifted the glass to my lips put me off quite a bit, let a long making me gag as I took "one" sip. I can't stress that enough, that is all I could manage before it became one with the sewers below.

2.58/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This beer was a major disappointment, though it did look crisp and enticing in the glass. All the other Vancouver Island Beers have been fairly decent, but this one was just an utter failure by the brewery. So bad a proper write up would been too much.

P.S. This one also went down the sink after a few sips.

1.65/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I wasn't very keen on this beer. I bought it because of the price, and I wanted a 15 pack of something. Opting to go local, I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was not impressed. It is a fairly rancid lager, and I did not enjoy it. I'd compare it to a keystone but worse

1.74/5  rDev -11.2%

Bottle poured into a mug.
Head? No, fizz, like sprite. Disappears like a fart in the wind.

Appearance: Orangish, yellow nuclear waste looking concoction.

Smell: Skunky. Smells like dad's feet.

Taste: Just awful. Oh well, there it goes down the sink.

Mouthfeel: There is something strange going on here. I cannot put my finger on it but it surrounds my tongue. I'm not going to stick around long enough to find out.

Drinkability: I think the sink liked it about as much as I did.

A 6 pack was given to me by an employee of the brewery when he came into the place I work. I'm so glad I didn't have to pay for this.

2.25/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

4.08/5  rDev +108.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've now had this beer from bottles, cans and on-tap. Seems to be a fine brew no matter which way it's served. It has won Silver at the 2007 World Beer Championships & Bronze at the 2006 Canadian Beer Championships. It is the ultimate thirst quencher, and is now a staple in our fridge.

2.5/5  rDev +27.6%

2.74/5  rDev +39.8%
look: 1.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

3.5/5  rDev +78.6%

2.5/5  rDev +27.6%

Vancouver Islander Lager from Vancouver Island Brewery
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.