Chang Beer (Export) - Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)

Chang Beer (Export)Chang Beer (Export)

poor

awful

Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.) visit their website
Thailand

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: DoubleJ on 12-01-2007)
View: Beers (7) |  Events
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev +18.8%

I had sushi the other night… and I thought about grabbing a bottle of this. I also wanted sake, but ended up drinking water. But this beer, every time I see it, makes me think of sushi and Asian food. The beer is actually made in Thailand, and until I started researching this beer, I had no idea they had two versions. The bottle on the list and the bottle we have is the export option, so we get the full flavor that they experience over there. I have never been to Thailand, but when I do (and I know I will eventually go) I will have to drink one over there. Beers from foreign countries always taste better in the country they were brewed and bottled.

Also, cool story about the elephant. I always wondered why there was an elephant on the label. Now I know! Let's drink.

In the Glass: Before I even looked, I told Sheryl "This is going to be a very unimpressive beer." She said, "Looks like Budweiser." She's right. It's thin, light, no head, and not much lace to discuss. But the one thing I am noticing in the glass… bubbles. There are a LOT of bubbles rushing to the top. Not quite champagne bubbles, but close. Maybe this will be a refreshing and carbonated offering.

Nose: Smells like a domestic. Actually, it is a little sweeter than a domestic. I am quite impressed with the aroma, to be honest. It reminds me of the beers I like chugging in Poland. I need to go back to Poland just to get drunk on cheap beer! Or Nicaragua. Nicaragua is closer, and they have pretty beaches. Anyway, I am impressed with the aroma here. The second whiff was just as sweet as the first. I hope that sweetness carries over to the flavor.

Flavor: There is quite a bit of carbonation going on here. Not as much as I expected, but it enough for me to mention that here as my first experience. The sweetness carries over, but it's there and gone again leaving the palate dry and begging for more. This is a beer that has ties to professional sports… and that makes sense. That is why crappy beer like Budweiser and Coors Light have ties to sporting events. They are light, crisp, and something you can chug outside. Chang is that beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is decent. Like I said, there are a lot of bubbles scattered across the tongue. The beer is also easy drinking and is something you could drink several before you realize you have had one. The experience is quick, as the beer slides across the tongue and you swallow. The aftertaste, well… let's talk about the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? There is more flavor up front than in the aftertaste. There really isn't much going on after you swallow. What is there is dry, but it quickly fades. For $1.49, I can't say I had high expectations. But the elephants on the label are cute!

The beer is not very impressive. I didn't expect it to be. If it was hot outside, I could see myself chugging three or four of these. Maybe even on the golf course. This is not my first beer from Thailand, and I am sure it won't be my last. But this is nothing worth writing home about. If you are out, and it is the same price as whatever domestic you are offered, try it. Oh, and if you are in Thailand, try it. Of course you have to try it over there!

01-15-2013 20:10:51 | More by rickyleepotts

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

06-01-2014 02:13:27 | More by Cheld
bighandsjohn

3.64/5  rDev +39.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not too much flavor... almost watery.... however very drinkable. Reminds me of the Japanese beer "Asahi dry" . Goes down smooth and is the type of beer that I can drink a lot of at a barbeque on a sunny day. Nothing special. Very little aroma and after taste.

05-31-2014 23:23:56 | More by bighandsjohn

2.75/5  rDev +5.4%

05-25-2014 13:16:14 | More by Latarnik
BryanCarey

2.83/5  rDev +8.4%

Straw- colored with little foam, Chang beer has a nose that is vegetable- like and very faint. There is no head of foam to speak of and the body of the beer is completely clear.

This beer has a rather bland flavor profile. It features the taste of sweet grains, the lightest caramel, and some barely perceptible hops. The beer is sweet overall and the body is a little on the flat side. A touch of toasted malt flavor comes through with repeated sips, but the beer remains light in overall flavor.

I’m having a really tough time rating this beer. It has a certain adjunct- laden taste that is unappetizing, but on the other hand, it is fairly drinkable even if a little sweeter and less balanced than I prefer. I can think of better tasting Asian brews, but this one is tolerable if it’s all you can find. It is clean and reasonably crisp, even if quite bland and plain overall.

05-16-2014 03:48:22 | More by BryanCarey
SanWrencho

3.25/5  rDev +24.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A light, inoffensive lager that succeeds in being a good complement to spicy foods. It's not as bad as some of the reviews claim! Hop fans will want to look elsewhere, as the hop flavor is almost non-existent although it does provide a little bitterness to counteract the malty sweetness. This should not be classified as an adjunct lager as it is an all-malt beer and its maltiness is its most pleasant characteristic. The bottle I drank was near the sell-by date, so while it was pretty drinkable, I am sure it would have been better 10 months ago!

05-10-2014 03:13:51 | More by SanWrencho
lzepplin01

Arizona

05-07-2014 14:48:21 | More by lzepplin01
Chang Beer (Export) from Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)