Join our email list →

Chang Beer (Export) - Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)

Chang Beer (Export)Chang Beer (Export)

poor

awful

Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)
Thailand | website

American Adjunct Lager | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gusler on 12-20-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chang Beer (Export) Alström Bros
2.06/5  rDev -22.6%

I don't mind trying imports so I picked up a bottle of this.

Pours a mild gold color with a two-finger head into my glass. Carbonation seems a bit brisk.

Aroma is full of sweet malt and corn in the nose. Only a dash of hop bitterness is present.

Taste is light, bland and has both sweetness and bitterness in the middle.

Mouthfeel is a bit watery with lingering sweetness and corn. More of the typical, unimpressive macro lager.

You can still drink it but it won't knock your socks off. It's what it is.

2.76/5  rDev +3.8%

Golden color with tiny head and lace.

The aroma was of corn,light malt and subtle hops.

The taste is basic corn,malts,and some mild fruit hints.

The feel was high carbonation and a very light body.

Notes: I had this with Thai food and while it was not a great or even a good beer,it was decent enough and complimented the food just fine. There are better beers for spicy food,but this did well.

2.65/5  rDev -0.4%

11.15oz brown glass pry-top bottle. BB 11/9/09 (365 day code).

Appearance: Pale, clear straw yellow with thin white head.

Nose: Classic "skunky" lager aromas, and thin smelling too.

Palate: Crisp and somewhat sweeter and more body than I expected. Skunky sweet lager.

Notes: Reminds me of the few Chinese beers I've had in the States. Nothing going on here, except old lager.

2.55/5  rDev -4.1%

Pale yellow, large white head.
aroma of creamed corn and not much else.
Taste again is cream of corn, but it does end up relativly clean with even a touch of hop.
Its avergage for style as far as the palte goes.
Rather unimpressed with this.
If I had to have a Far East beer i would take Tiger over this any day

3.62/5  rDev +36.1%

Notes it's Thai, 5%, and a best by 13 JUL 08 (sampled 18 APR 09; purchased recently here in Texas- new arrival).

A) Nothing fancy here, a clear yellow glass with no cap or lace.

S) A mild grain water aroma, no flaws noted

T) Well balanced, classic American Macro taste. Again, no flaws, as my wife would say "tastes like beer".

M) Low carbonation but a mild prickle

O) Surprisingly drinkable. There's nothing wrong here, even given the fact that we were dumped with out of date product (the curse of Texas it seems). While I won't be buying this again just to drink, I would certainly order some with Thai food.

2.1/5  rDev -21.1%

Macro lager. What do you think it looks like? Nose is incredibly sweet, in that insipid (can a smell be insipid?) caramel malt (with a healthy dollop of rice/corn, I'm sure) candy that this kind of beer often has. Flavor is sickly sweet as well - reminds me of Rolling Rock. Fortunately, there's a ton of carbonation in here, so it masks the flavor fairly well. Overall, this beer is bad. A buddy told me that the brewery is a hot mess so every beer tastes different. But I tried two and they both sucked, so forget this.

1.92/5  rDev -27.8%

Reviewed 8/14/2008 (bottle BB 29Jan09):

Pours a pale yellow colored body, with a whitish colored head, and is somewhat lasting. Has a malty, somewhat English-like aroma, similar to other English beers I've had, might be the hops. Has a pretty grainy taste, with some maltiness. Somewhat flattish.

3.13/5  rDev +17.7%

This beer pours a light yellow color with a thick white head. the head fades moderately slowly, leaving pretty much no lace.

This beer has a very strong grainy aroma. It also smells of boiled cabbage. That is about it.

This beer tastes like it smells. Grainy. It is better than I remember it though from my time in Thailand.

This beer is a bit over carbonated. It leaves a grainy aftertaste.

This beer would make a good session beer if you didnt like craft beer. It isnt something I plan to drink again until I am in Thailand.

Overall: I never thought I would see this beer again, but it was part of the Beers of the World box that was givin to me by my cousins girlfriend for christmas. I was better than I thought it would be.

1.95/5  rDev -26.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Had a pint of this beer at a Thai restaurant in town.

A: Light golden yellow; small white head dissipates quickly.
S: Little that my nose could detect, aside from basic grainy/straw aroma, which I kind of expected considering I've already had some experiences with Thai lagers (and none of them were very good...).
T: Hoppy and dry. The words "watery fizz" come to mind. No exceptional flavors on the palate.
M: Light, thin and watery but very crisp from carbonation.
D: The dryness in my mouth after this beer and lack of flavor gave me very little to enjoy here.

3.59/5  rDev +35%

Pours a clear fizzy golden color. Looks like a macro beer. The carbonation creates a slight white head that dissipates immediately.
Smell is fairly ordinary like a standard lager. There is a bit of barley and wheat smell to it and also a bit of hops too.
Taste is a very solid lager. The beer is dominated by the taste of malted barley. It is very strong and fresh tasting.
The beer is slightly thick. One would think by appearance that the beer is fizzy and crisp, but there is a very nice smoothness to it.
Chang is definitely a session beer. There is nothing too strong to the taste that would stop one from putting down a case of these with ease. The 5% ABV doesn't show up in the taste, which may be dangerous.

2.61/5  rDev -1.9%

Out of the bottle it was a dull gold with limited bubblyness and no real head. It also had a crappy, skunked kind of smell.

Too be honest, this wasn't as bad as I was expecting after the look and smell of it. It had the feel of a US Macro brew. It has a sour aftertaste, but it will do.

2.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this in bottle at my favorite Thai restaurant. I like the twin white elephants on the label. I didn't like spending four dollars on a single bottle, however.

Smell a bit fruity like honey and apples, but aroma is nearly absent. Mouthfeel was satisfying, but the taste was very bland. I detected some semblance of malt and grain, but no hops whatsoever, not even skunkiness. It was a bit on the fruity sweet side, and wasn't a great thirst quencher, but it did help to alleviate some of the spiciness from my meal.

If I were in Thailand, I can imagine enjoying a few Changs for lack of other beer. Water probably would be a better choice.

3.28/5  rDev +23.3%

This beer was a very pleasant surprise in that it was a far cry better than most other Asian beers. Although it had little nose, this was an improvement over the normally grainy-skunk nose found in many of its countrymen. Mouthfeel was much more full than most, taste was slightly malty and earthy and the finish fairly long and somewhat sweet.

Probably my favorite Asian beer to date

1.97/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured into a pint glass. Light yellow gold with a snow white head that fizzes out with medium rapidity and leaves no lacing. Aroma is strong adjunct, mealy corn syrup. Flavor is literally almost nonexistent. The slightest ricey sweetness and the ample carbonation make this just distinguishable from water. I've had quite a few absurd pale lagers from random countries and this one is still astonishing with each sip in how thin and watery it is. At least it's inoffensive.

3.4/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

11.15 oz. bottle > Tulip-style glass.

This one is a clear, buttery yellow, not a pale deydrated yellow, but bright. A small and thin, lacy white head develops quick and goes away in moderate fashion.

The nose is pretty right on, smooth buttery malt, cream of corn from the can and a slight herbal, greeness way down.

The flavor is a simple, crisp and clean semi-sweet malt that is in good balance with the mildly sour yeast and rice effect along with very subtle hop spice that is a perfect pairing with spicey and hot Thai food.

The feel is crisp and light and does not relax too much so there is no flat, dead feel at the end.

It is what is, simple and effective.

1.82/5  rDev -31.6%

This one pours a very pale clear yellow with a small white head which disappears quickly and leaves almost no lacing. Not an attractive brew.

Smelled almost unbearably sweet, with a hint of butter. So far all signs tell me not to put this one to my lips.

I do anyways, and things don't get any better. The same sweetness is there, along with the butter, although everything seems very watered down.

Mouthfeel was also very watery and thin, certainly one of the thinnest brews I can recall in a while.

Nothing about this beer made me want to have another, or for that matter even finish the one I started. I poured one glass, which left about half the bottle full. It was a chore to finish the glass, and the rest of the bottle never made it that far. Avoid this one unless you enjoy drinking lousy beer.

2.28/5  rDev -14.3%

Pastel gold with several tiny particulates that might be yeast... or might not be. Given such sparse carbonation, the bone white cap is a respectable size. It's also at least as attractive as the foam on your average American lager. A little lace was laid down, but not much.

This Asian macro lager smells more like a Euro pale lager than the style seen above. It's time for 'World Lager' to be a recognized style. The beer uses rice, just like Budweiser, which is undetectable, and it has a grassy hoppiness similar to just about any Saaz-hopped EPL you'd care to name. A lack of offensiveness definitely helps.

Chang is (barely) okay beer, though I'd prefer to drink it with a huge plate of spicy Thai food rather than drinking it solo, like right now. Style nitpicking aside, it's nothing more and nothing less than another flavor-challenged pale lager that is probably the most consumed style of beer in the world. No personality. None at all.

What we have here is watery grain with a modest bitter bite on the finish. Although the hops provide a slight grassy spiciness, it certainly isn't enough to carry the day. That's pretty much the extent of things. My taste buds are bored and so am I, so it's time to move on.

The mouthfeel isn't horrible. Then again, it doesn't deserve even one iota of praise. Unless you're a fan of beer that is light-to-watery and has too few bubbles that are brittle rather than soft.

As noted above, Chang Beer is kinda, sorta acceptable as a food washer-downer. There's nothing here that you can't find at your local Quickie Mart, except perhaps a fraction more bitterness. That alone will turn off most aficionados of *real* American macro lagers.

1.81/5  rDev -32%

There are some good examples of quality asian lagers ... however this one is definitely not working ... smells and tastes like a grapefruit-flavored-juice mixed with formaldehyde, sweetish and sticky ... this one might work in a Patpong bar, but certainly not in comparison with well crafted brews ...

2.22/5  rDev -16.5%

Pours a nice thick white foamy head that dies into a ring of lace. Very active carb. Aroma of hay and something really offensive like sour almost. Taste is like a cheap American macro, kinda sweet but not much for hops, really more of bad sourness to it. I can see that this might be good while in Thailand with 90F and 90% humidity -- but this really average beer. Not recommended.

Jk

3.2/5  rDev +20.3%

11.5 oz bottle purchased at Bangkok City in Hoboken...
Pours a golden, light-colored hue with a minimal head that quickly receded and left a fair amount of lacing around the edge of the undersized serving glass...
Typical macro aroma consisting of corn, straw, and hay...
Crisp, refreshing, light flavor, with hints of butter and cream...
Light-bodied mouthfeel along with a good level of drinkability to match...
Not bad...

1.6/5  rDev -39.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Picked this one out at a Thai Restaurant. This was the only beer available besides the other BMC suspects...

A- Pale, translucent, watery, golden yellow color. Abolutely nothing going on here. Looked like yellow water with some foam.

S- Straw, hay, grass, apple juice.

T- I honestly cannot tell what I am tasting here. Tasted like stale barley and fresh cut grass.

M- Light bodied. Nothing to this beer.

D- I would not recommend this one to anybody. This is just not good at all. Didn't even taste good with my Thai dinner.

2.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Smell is a little off-putting. Not really skunky but it has a weird aroma. It reminds me of spent grain that's been sitting in a mash tun after a full day of brewing. No hops and the malt is there but in that same light spent grain or cereal way.

Golden colored. Started out with a big rocky head and then faded to a little island in the middle. Lots of big rising bubbles. Nice and clear.

Has a little malt flavor and pretty decent hop bitterness. But overall it is weak in the flavor department. In fact, the more I have the more I feel like it tastes like nothing in my mouth but has a lingering malt sweetness in the aftertaste. Pretty bland though.

Light bodied with a refreshing fizzy carbonation level.

Well, it's as drinkable as any mega-lager in that it tastes vaguely like beer and goes down easy. But as a fan of craft brews, this doesn't hold any further interest for me.

2.43/5  rDev -8.6%

Pale, clear gold. Lifeless, no head at all really. Carbonation visible in streams in the center of the glass.

Cooked vegetable aroma. Stale papery malt. Musty wet dog...blechh. I swear i'm not making this up. Who in their right mind would enjoy drinking this?

Dull and chalky feel, dry paper, grape. Aftertaste is more like pear once the cardboard goes away. Prickly carbonation, gassy feel. Not really doin' it for me. Seems like something you should be able to drink in quantity, but it was hard to get down half a pint.

Hey, it has a cool bottlecap!

It was a crystal clear gold color with a one finger thick white and bubbly head that quickly thinned out into a thin ring around the glass support by lots of carbonation. It has a clean mildly malty aroma mixed in with some wheat and there is a slight sweet smell to it as well. It is semi-crisp with a light body and lots of malts in its taste with a sweet taste and mild bitterness in its aftertaste, which is also mildly dry.

...got this at Tong's Thai on Austin HWY

3.48/5  rDev +30.8%

Never heard of Chang beer. I love Thai food, and I've been to many Thai restaurants, but never before have I seen the Chang. I felt it was my duty to try this beer.

A vigorous pour yields a pale golden beer with a frothy two-finger head that dissipates all too quickly into a thin film on top. The nose is malty, if nothing else. No fruity esthers here. Just some sweetish malt and an earthy funk. Not offensive, but nothing special either. The taste basically follows suit, imparting a most unimpressive flavor. Again, not bad, but very dull. Malty sweet, with a muted grassy flavor and a yeasty bread-shop taste. Really nothing awful about this, and I could easily drink a few of these at one sitting. Just not a lot of flavor. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry.

A totally drinkable brew. Not great, as I've already mentioned, but not all that bad either. It's not fancy, but it serves a purpose. A fine lawnmower beer for those who want to seek it out. I bet it goes just fine with a spicy curry or a sweet pad thai.

Chang Beer (Export) from Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)