Chang Beer (Export) - Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)

Chang Beer (Export)Chang Beer (Export)

Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.) visit their website

American Adjunct Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Gusler on 12-20-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chang Beer (Export) Alström Bros
2.82/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is what I expected. An imported , probably mass produced beer from, from Thailand. Did I actually expect more?. The color is the best part of this beer. It is a crystal clear gold color with small bubbles rising from the bottom of thr glass and gently nudging the top of the beer. Head was fast and gone just as fast. Tiny lacing. Aroma is kind of like a damp skunk!. Taste also is like a damp skunk, lol. Seriously, it is an ok beer that I would drink very cold when I am looking for a quick buzz and I can pound a few of them

2.75/5  rDev +3.8%

Presentation: Much like Singha, the label is satisfying enough. It looks like a crest for a long forgotten kingdom. I like to keep bottles around for decoration, and this is a mainstay just for the curiosity it creates

Appearance: Very light yellow color with small fizzy head that vanished in minute. Very fizzy beer

Smell: Sweet malty smell, but has a noticeable synthetic smell with it as well.

Taste: nothing inspiring at all. Not horrible by any means, same light bitterness and fruitiness like Singha, but only less noticeable.

Not a exciting beer, was it worth the $8 dollar a pack? yea I suppose, and sure it was more warmly received in my circle then a Budweiser or Corona, but I can go the rest of my life without it and would rather spend money on something else

2.5/5  rDev -5.7%

I bought a bottle of this from Lidl supermarket, with low expectations and mainly for the sake of drinking a Thai beer.
Appearance: Yellow/gold color with 1 finger white head that does not last long.
Smell: What you would expect more or less [the benefit of very low expectations...]; some malt is the main thing that comes out.
Taste: This is where the beer falls hard on its face. Nothing that I could discern whatsoever and a really annoyingly flat aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Light but discernible carbonation, light body, slick texture.
Drinkability/Overall: Overall has the character of a typical mass-produced lager. Fairly refreshing at first and I could picture drinking it (in absence of other choices) on a hot summer day, but other than that I would not want to try it again and barely did not mind trying it in the first place.

2.44/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle, poured into oversized Tripel Karmeliet tulip.

A: Pale golden, initial large head which faded so fast I thought there was somewhere else it had to be, no lacing, clear, looked flat.

S: Faint malt, sugar beet.

T: Over did the sweetness to the point of being unbalanced, hints of rubber.

M: Slightly heavy body, thick texture, no carbonation to speak of.

O: Not great, there are better lagers in Asia, drink if free but if choose something else if it’s available.

2.99/5  rDev +12.8%

11.15-oz bottle into weizen glass

A - 2 fingers white foam over a transparent body of straw yellow, tons of visible carbonation

S - adjunct grains (mainly corn), slight vegetable smell

T - corny grains, notes of grass and citrus from the hops, malt sweetness

M - slick medium body, high carbonation

O - a mediocre AAL

2.61/5  rDev -1.5%

Found it in Greece. Bottle 0,33l

A - Two finger creamy white foam, quickly vanished with some traces left in next few minutes. Golden color, clear with low carbonation.
S - Really bad pale malt, with some adjuncts and citrus notes.
T/M - It is refreshing. Huge lemon taste, it is almost half between from Lager to Radler. Medium to high carbonation, very low bitterness.

O - Citrus pale lager

3.65/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Not too much flavor... almost watery.... however very drinkable. Reminds me of the Japanese beer "Asahi dry" . Goes down smooth and is the type of beer that I can drink a lot of at a barbeque on a sunny day. Nothing special. Very little aroma and after taste.

2.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Straw- colored with little foam, Chang beer has a nose that is vegetable- like and very faint. There is no head of foam to speak of and the body of the beer is completely clear.

This beer has a rather bland flavor profile. It features the taste of sweet grains, the lightest caramel, and some barely perceptible hops. The beer is sweet overall and the body is a little on the flat side. A touch of toasted malt flavor comes through with repeated sips, but the beer remains light in overall flavor.

I’m having a really tough time rating this beer. It has a certain adjunct- laden taste that is unappetizing, but on the other hand, it is fairly drinkable even if a little sweeter and less balanced than I prefer. I can think of better tasting Asian brews, but this one is tolerable if it’s all you can find. It is clean and reasonably crisp, even if quite bland and plain overall.

3.23/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A light, inoffensive lager that succeeds in being a good complement to spicy foods. It's not as bad as some of the reviews claim! Hop fans will want to look elsewhere, as the hop flavor is almost non-existent although it does provide a little bitterness to counteract the malty sweetness. This should not be classified as an adjunct lager as it is an all-malt beer and its maltiness is its most pleasant characteristic. The bottle I drank was near the sell-by date, so while it was pretty drinkable, I am sure it would have been better 10 months ago!

1.33/5  rDev -49.8%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

Look: Hazy straw color. The white head recedes before I can blink, no film, no lacing.

Aroma: Stewed meats, cabbage. Sour.

Taste: Slightly sweet malt or adjunct beginning, then sour cabbage.

Mouthfeel: Metallic and carbonated.

Overall: Really uninspiring even for a cheap import.

2.79/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

I would say that this beer is just like any other asian pale lager, and in many ways it is. It pours from the bottle with a pale, straw-yellow color topped by a fizzy white head, and there is almost no discernible aroma other than a mild mustiness and a faint graininess. The flavor does have a bit more character than most, though, with a bit of grassy hops and a nicely sweet cereal malt character. Overall, this beer isn't going to be something I search out, but it went just fine with a nice green curry.

2.58/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Had a bottle poured into a pint glass as an accompaniment to a really good green curry. I am fairly familiar with this beer from years of eating in Thai restaurants but usually choose Singha. Here Chang gets the formal review treatment. A pale straw yellow beer, maybe just veering towards lemon, with minimal white foam even when poured aggressively. Aroma is primarily cooked vegetable DMS, old malt, and a nondescript spice note ... I might be getting a hint of lemon or some other dried out citrus fruit. Palate is also dominated by DMS, doughy pale malt that evokes cheap white bread, and low key grassy hops coupled with the odd apple juice or artificial banana fruity note that pokes out here and there. Diacetyl? Thin, super fizzy, and finishes crisp and clean despite the sweet start, although I did notice a propensity to get sweeter and a bit rank as the beer warmed up. Its a standard American adjunct lager from Asia. Cooked, sweet, bland. I choose Singha for a reason.

1.4/5  rDev -47.2%

Yellow golden color with a thin fluffy head with very short retention.
Aroma of booze, cereals and oxidized lemon.
Flavor of sweet cereals, cooked vegetables, lots of diacetyl and booze, oxidation and a spicy sensation. Dry aftertaste with a light bitterness.
Light body with good carbonation.
This is much worse than its local competitor Singha and also behind our local mass adjunct lagers. Awkward flavor with lots of off-flavors with a low drinkability. To toss it, a sin I at any cost.

3.46/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Very sudsy and then flattens up. Very bubbly when shaken even the slightest.

Smell: Fresh soap and coconut.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Very clean, medium-to-moderate-dry like straw. Very neutral flavor. Rather flat.

Overall Drinkability: Surprisingly enjoyable and very non-offensive.

2.06/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light gold color, with a short white head that fades very quickly and leaves very little lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains light caramelized malts, adjuncts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts out with an adjunct and light malt sweetness. Then some grain and malt breadiness follows. The hops presence is very mild, but at least there is some balance. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: A little crisp and a little smooth, light-to-medium body, high carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

O: Not very flavorful, goes down easily and not too filling since there isn’t much to the beer, mild kick, typical representation of style, it’s not completely bad but there are many other beers even in the style that I would choose first.

4.02/5  rDev +51.7%
look: 2 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From a 11.15oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- Golden yellow color, one finger head that fizzles away quickly. Some particles floating around in the beer. No lacing.

S- Honey, bready, malty. No hops detected.

T- Honey, very malty, bread. Sweet. Lacks hops. Some tobacco taste. Has an awesome bready aftertaste.

M- Not much carbonation. Watery and light. Sort of crisp.

Drinkability- Very smooth and easy to drink.

O- Overall, this beer surprised me with how great it tastes, but needs more carbonation. I really enjoyed its honey/bready/tobacco taste.

Sad to think that the only redeeming quality of this beer is to "put out the fire" if you eat spicy food. A very plain Adjunct Lager that should be sold at PBR prices. I am disappointed by all aspects of this beer. Going out on a limb to try a new beer is not always rewarding.

2.68/5  rDev +1.1%

This is one beer I've had a few times as it a) goes down ok on a hot summer day, and b) it's cheap and beats most macro lagers Australian brewers have to offer. So at the height of winter receiving a free Chang I thought I would finally pen my thoughts on this classic Thai brew.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a pokal.

A: Typical Asian brew with a clear pale straw body and a fluffy white half centimetre head.

S: More pungent than most Asian lagers, very adjuncty aromas of sweet corn, wheat, vegetal matter and cut grass abound. Other than that there's not much else going on. Fairly standard Asian lager.

T: Flavour has the above adjunct tastes; sweet corn, wheat, vegetal matter and cut grass. There is also a hint of honey. Ends dry with a cheap lager after-taste, which is best described as a semi-rotting vegetables mixed with Fusel alcohol.

M: Light bodied with medium carbonation.

D: Well its not a challenging drink at all, but in a hot country like Thailand a beer is simply used to wash down whatever curry one is eating, so in that respect it gets the job done. As good as other adjunct lagers? Perhaps a better question would be: as crap as other adjunct lagers? The answer is "Yes", and yet another reason why I generally avoid lagers altogether.

Food match: Thai, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Indonesian cuisines all work with beers like Chang, again it's all about washing down that curry, nothing more, nothing less.

2.92/5  rDev +10.2%

Chang ain't so bad. It's the beer that's very classic to the Far East. So if you are an American beer craftsman then Hell ship it to the over there an open up a new market. But this is one of my favorites from the Orient. As Vonnegut said, "And so it goes."

Pairs well with An Anthology of Chinese Experimental Music 1992-2008

1.35/5  rDev -49.1%

A thin head on a clear, medium straw colored body. No head left within 20 seconds of the pour.
The aroma is mowed yard grass and honey.
Wow, the taste has a bold metallic flavor upfront... and that continues to the end.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Well, it's one of the worst adjunct lagers I've had.

2.92/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4th beer from an Asian beer giftbox.

Standard golden lager colour, a white head with some retention.

Smells not too bad, mainly grassy hops and some grain. Bit of wet cardboard.

Taste is grain and hops. A hint of alcohol or something, a bit wierd. Anyway, bland but not bad tasting.

Good carbonation

Overal a decent lager, and a vast improvement over the last time I had it.

3.11/5  rDev +17.4%

I had sushi the other night… and I thought about grabbing a bottle of this. I also wanted sake, but ended up drinking water. But this beer, every time I see it, makes me think of sushi and Asian food. The beer is actually made in Thailand, and until I started researching this beer, I had no idea they had two versions. The bottle on the list and the bottle we have is the export option, so we get the full flavor that they experience over there. I have never been to Thailand, but when I do (and I know I will eventually go) I will have to drink one over there. Beers from foreign countries always taste better in the country they were brewed and bottled.

Also, cool story about the elephant. I always wondered why there was an elephant on the label. Now I know! Let's drink.

In the Glass: Before I even looked, I told Sheryl "This is going to be a very unimpressive beer." She said, "Looks like Budweiser." She's right. It's thin, light, no head, and not much lace to discuss. But the one thing I am noticing in the glass… bubbles. There are a LOT of bubbles rushing to the top. Not quite champagne bubbles, but close. Maybe this will be a refreshing and carbonated offering.

Nose: Smells like a domestic. Actually, it is a little sweeter than a domestic. I am quite impressed with the aroma, to be honest. It reminds me of the beers I like chugging in Poland. I need to go back to Poland just to get drunk on cheap beer! Or Nicaragua. Nicaragua is closer, and they have pretty beaches. Anyway, I am impressed with the aroma here. The second whiff was just as sweet as the first. I hope that sweetness carries over to the flavor.

Flavor: There is quite a bit of carbonation going on here. Not as much as I expected, but it enough for me to mention that here as my first experience. The sweetness carries over, but it's there and gone again leaving the palate dry and begging for more. This is a beer that has ties to professional sports… and that makes sense. That is why crappy beer like Budweiser and Coors Light have ties to sporting events. They are light, crisp, and something you can chug outside. Chang is that beer.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is decent. Like I said, there are a lot of bubbles scattered across the tongue. The beer is also easy drinking and is something you could drink several before you realize you have had one. The experience is quick, as the beer slides across the tongue and you swallow. The aftertaste, well… let's talk about the aftertaste.

Aftertaste: What aftertaste? There is more flavor up front than in the aftertaste. There really isn't much going on after you swallow. What is there is dry, but it quickly fades. For $1.49, I can't say I had high expectations. But the elephants on the label are cute!

The beer is not very impressive. I didn't expect it to be. If it was hot outside, I could see myself chugging three or four of these. Maybe even on the golf course. This is not my first beer from Thailand, and I am sure it won't be my last. But this is nothing worth writing home about. If you are out, and it is the same price as whatever domestic you are offered, try it. Oh, and if you are in Thailand, try it. Of course you have to try it over there!

3.05/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle 330 ml, bought at an Asian goods supermarket in the Netherlands. .

Pale golden yellow colour. Half finger of head that disappears straight away. Seems very carbonated. Lots of activity in the glass.
Nothing special on the smell, just some malts and hay.
Taste is quite sweet, very malty. Your average lager taste.
Thin on the body and very very carbonated. Dry on the palate.
Overall nothing too special, but easily drinkable. Would be even better with less carboantion.

Appearance: Translucent pale yellow with a pale white head which did not last very long. Laced fairly well while it was there.

Sent: Stale hay

Taste: Stale rice

Mouth feel: Light body with low carbonation

Overall Impression: Did not enjoy at all!

2.58/5  rDev -2.6%

A 640ml bottle with a BB of June 2012, so it's a little out of date. Picked up some time back from Tesco.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale-straw colour with medium carbonation. Forms a large head of brilliant white foam that collapses rapidly and disappears. Weak aroma of ultra-light malt with faint hints of grain, stewed hops and overcooked veggies. Not much going on.

Tastes of very light malt with a dry finish. Faint notes of grain, stewed hops, overdone veg/corn and a solventy twang in the background. Dry, with virtually no bitterness to speak of. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and tingly, but thin and watery. Mildly astringent, with a faint aftertaste of stewed veg.

Meh. Just another bland, characterless, mass-produced lager. Hardly any flavour or aroma. Probably quenches your thirst in a hot climate, but no great shakes otherwise. No need to seek it out.

Chang Beer (Export) from Cosmos Brewery (Thai Beverage Plc.)