Estrella Damm - Damm S. A.

Estrella DammEstrella Damm

to view more.
Ratings: 568 | Reviews: 225
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
3.57/5  rDev +28.4%

I see this beer all the time, but I have never had it. Until I grabbed this to review, I didn't even know what Estrella Damm meant! Estrella means "star", but had no idea Damm came from the guy who started the entire operation. Cool story, and cool how they changed the name of the brewery to honor him. This is a VERY old recipe, and I am excited to try it. Not usually a fan of American Adjunct Lagers, but this one has a good brand and comes to us from Barcelona. Actually it comes to us from the Total Wine & More in Scottsdale, Arizona. But you get the idea.

This is our first beer from this brewing company, but there are several more on the list. Let's see how the Estrella Damm stacks up. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: The beer looks pretty boring in the glass. It is thin, and you can see right through it. Some bubbles are rushing to the top, but not much action. Very little to no lace is offered here. Before I stick my nose in the glass, know that I do not expect great things. I expect this to be slightly better than an American domestic product, but a tad bit sweet like I have come to expect from boring European lagers.

Nose: Smells like beer. It has a weak aroma, but what I am getting is grassy and smells like liquid bread. That is what beer is, anyway. Liquid bread! A deep second whiff gives me yeast and some more bread aromas. Expecting a lot of that from the flavor.

Flavor: The first impression is somewhat sweet. It hits your tongue and the sweetness sort of explodes across your palate. Then it drinks like any other American Adjunct Lager I have had, then finishes sweet leaving a linger aftertaste of yeast and bread. Considering my expectations here, I am VERY impressed with this offering. The sweetness sort of took me for a loop. Wasn't expecting that.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is full, and flavorful ending with a smooth sweetness left on the tongue. There aren't a lot of bubbles, and it is a beer you could literally chug all day long. I bet this does well at futbol games in Europe and other foreign countries. This would be a good example of a domestic beer for countries like Spain, Italy, and France. I haven't been to Barcelona, but this will be the first beer I order when I step off the plane.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is nice, dry, and bittersweet. The sweetness you get from the flavor hangs on and it just continues to get dry as I swallow. I bet the aftertaste hangs around a good 5-7 minutes. VERY impressed with this offering. Fun learning what "estrella" means and neat knowing the man that started this was named Damm. Consider this beer a learning experience all around!

2.88/5  rDev +3.6%

This is my first beer since I had a wisdom tooth pulled four days ago, my first beer in five days, and it's a wonderful spring day outside in Springfield,MO. Ah, it's good to be back in the game.

Estrella pours a yellow brick road goldenish color with a white head that falls quickly and leaves some lacing.

The aroma has a faint, slightly skunky hoppiness blended with corn. Pretty standard.

The taste is pretty typical "beer" flavors. Though it does start to taste a bit like apple juice it is better than others I won't mention, you know who they are. Not worth the price at all for a craft drinker. The taste is almost more powerful than it needs to be, which cuts down on the refreshment. Won't buy it again, not really glad I tried it. Oh, well.

2.25/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Just not good at all...but better than Coors.

3.57/5  rDev +28.4%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: It has a bright golden yellow body with very good clarity and visible carbonation. The head is light and bubblely, bright white in color and fades quickly making only some spotty slick lace.

Smell: The aroma is very light with just a hint of light grassy/floral hops and grain.

Taste/Mouth Feel: The favor has a light grainy malt with mild but balanced grassy/floral hops and a slight citrus like acidity. It finishes cleanly and fairly dry. It has a light body with a light easy drinking texture and a somewhat fizzy carbonation.

Notes: This is my first beer from Spain and it is on par with any American Light Lager Style beer that I have had. This is nice but I look forward to trying more complex for Spain.

2.86/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$1.75 @ Charles Street Liquors, Boston, MA:

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with no freshness date. On the back label are the ingredients “Water, malt, yeast, rice, maize, hops & stabilizer e-405 which is a foam stabilizer. This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Appearance: Tight foaming, good retention … does not matter because they cheated. Filtered clarity of a golden straw color.

Smell: Sugary malt cereal-mix with a strained hop aroma.

Taste: Typical Euro-lager over cooked hops and veggie like flavor from the rice and corn. Some maltiness with a lingering corn flavor, hops are vaguely bitter and add just enough.

Mouthfeel: Smooth as any pale lager could be, bitty and dry on the palate.

Notes: Euro-lagers are a dime a dozen … no they are not, this one was $1.75 a pop, certainly not worth it at all.

2.59/5  rDev -6.8%

I must admit, I had good feelings toward this beer after having it on draft in a London pub. Add in that I'm going to Spain in a week and I thought I'd check it out again.

This is not good beer. Sure, compared to a BMC it's spectacular. But for the price of an import 6-pack, you could easily pick up an awesome craft beer. I'll still finish off the 6-pack - it's beer, of course I'll drink it. But I won't enjoy it!

Poured into a Trumer Pilsner glass (Stange?). Beautiful color and a head that won't quit. Seriously, I gave up waiting for it to go down, and eventually just dug in. Lacing was impressive - it left a ring around the glass after every sip, with about 7 levels of lacing by the end. But...then I look into and find out they use some chemical to increase head retention. Major fail. Cheaters.

The body is a little thicker than the typical American lager, and tastes a bit sweet like honey and malt and something grainy I can't put my finger on. Definitely unique. Taste isn't completely terrible, just too sweet, and has virtually no bitterness or hop presence at all, either in the aroma or taste.

Of course it's drinkable. It's a euro lager. I could slam an entire 6-pack, except that the sweetness would start to get cloying after the first bottle or two.

On the plus side, the labels come off super-easy for using in my own homebrew.

Won't be buying again. Time to find out if there are any decent breweries in Madrid...

2.56/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured from bottle into a standard beer glass.

Appearance: Clear Yellowish color with heavy carbonation. Head was about two fingers and did not last long, except for a very thin layer on top that lasted almost the whole beer.

Smell: Almost nothing in the way of smell. Maybe some cereal type grains but faint.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Lighter bodied and smooth. Some sweet and bitter qualities about this beer. But it was a bit watered down, which I would expect from these types of beers. It had a dry and bitter after taste that I have noticed is common in a lot of the American Adjunct Lagers made in Spanish and Latino countries.

Overall: Not a horrible beer. I can honestly say I enjoyed it. Good beer for a hot summer day, and I drank the whole six pack. Not my immediate choice, but would have again.

2.16/5  rDev -22.3%

Poured in a chilled pint glass...

Appearance - a very light pouring beer, first appearance is very refreshing! Solid white head that disappears pretty quick. Minimal lacing and the head turns to the island appearance! Carbonation is present, however dies down fairly quick.

Smell - light smelling beer, almost no hops present.

Taste - clean tasting beer, i would say refreshing. Slight taste of liquor at the end, but very much not present.

Mouthfeel - smooth moutfeel, not a lot of carbonation. after taste is a little more present.

Drinkability - I would not lean twds this beer again in the future, it offers a limited amount of taste. Only thing is its a light and refreshing based beer.

Had this on draft on a warm evening. Nothing to write home about but refreshing and easy drinking. It is not poor just nothing special. Found it to be easily drinkable and would happily have a few.

3.28/5  rDev +18%

Never had any brews from Spain. This one was being busted out straight from the case, only a buck and some change. Euro lager so far appears a pale golden hue with bright white head forming thick, fine speckled lacing. Aroma has cereal notes mild grain/adjuncts. Nothing offensive, clean slight citrusy edge. Flavor has a nice riding sweetness, alot of lemon notes actually in there. Finishes grassy with a kiss of hops. Overall refreshing great flagship mass produced lager from Espana. Estrella equals star but what is Damm? Mouthfeel is clean easy drinking sturdy carbonation, not over done. Of course it's light bodied pale lager, but it's done right here, not bad extremely fresh example I'm sure helps out a bit. Still no fireworks just extremely safe thirst quenching industrial lager.

3.61/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at a random bar in Figueres.

Pours a clear straw color with a one-finger bright white head. The head slowly recedes into a thin layer on top leaving thick lacing.

Smells of light pilsner malts with solid amounts of earthy hops.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Crisp pilsner malt flavors kick things off and are quickly joined by earthy and somewhat grassy hops. The hops carry through to a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a smooth thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass although I'm not sure about another.

Overall I had this multiple times while in Barcelona but the tap version at this particular place was head and shoulders above the rest. Maybe it was the tap lines but it's certainly a different beast fresh. Worth a shot if you're near the source.

3.55/5  rDev +27.7%

This is a tasty beer with a hint of sweetness. A good balance between a light sweet maltiness and dry hoppiness to quench a thirst for a meal. A light golden brown hue. Good clarity. Good medium carbonation for easy drinking. I think the beer really rather fitting of the Spanish culture and food. A very good compliment of the wonderful cuisin of the land. This is not a big splash, but I do not understand some of the lower marks some have thrown against this beer. I find Estrella to be of fine quality.

This beer goes well with a Euro Soccer match, dontcha think?

2.96/5  rDev +6.5%

The color is a clear, light yellow-gold. A compact one-finger head sticks around and leaves a couple light rings of thin lacing.
The aroma's a little sweeter than I'd expect. Otherwise a light aroma of malt and hops.
The taste is the typical rice and corn of the American Adjunct, but there's actually a decent malt backing and hops bitterness for a bit of an even balance. The bitterness lingers, adding a leafy tang.
The body is light with moderate carbonation and some smoothness in the mouthfeel.
This is obviously nothing special, but I would put this just slightly above the typical adjunct because it seems that at least someone understands the concept of beer being made with hops.

3.03/5  rDev +9%

500ml can, 4.6% ABV. I wonder what 'Damm' means in Spanish? I'll have to look that one up.

This bear pours a slightly hazy, pale golden yellow colour, with three fingers of billowy, rocky bone-white head, which settles at an even pace, leaving a complex web of spidery lace around the glass.

It smells of sour grass, apple cider, wet white bread, glutenous corn mash (but unfortunately no cornbread esters, I'm afraid), dusty yeast, and musty hops. The taste is kind of a blend between corn, rice cakes, and pithy wheat grain, and not all that sweet, with a bit of indistinct citric acidity, and mild dead grassy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is well below average for the style, the body medium-light in weight, and smooth enough, I suppose, with a certain skunky edge tugging at the palate. It finishes mostly dry, clean like a pressure-washed European sidewalk, and pretty nondescript - just, well, 'beer'-like.

For a corn and rice-riddled (it's right on the label, folks, albeit in rather small type) beer, this actually turns out all right, when keeping the style in mind. Nothing to brush past your mother for, but agreeable enough, if cold, and it's sweaty outside, and that's your prime brew-seeking directive at the moment.

3.45/5  rDev +24.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A light gold, clear lager with a nice thin but tall head that dissipates quickly. Taste is light, crisp, minimal malts and hops but nicely balanced and finishes slightly bitter.

There's nothing special about this beer, but sometimes context matters. I can remember quaffing one or two of these in the Plaza at Granada or Toledo at midnight in the hot Spanish summer. Refreshing. Doesn't get much better than that.

2.45/5  rDev -11.9%

I sat down to drink this with a plate of nachos tonight (yes I know nachos aren't Spanish and the beer is). I was expecting a typical euro-mac....and that's what I got.

Pale yellow with a crispy white head. Taste is clean and crisp and unexciting. It did not have the skunked flavor that many euro-macs possess. Oddly, a few minutes after finishing the beer I did received a puffed wheat aftertaste.

Even though it did a good job of cutting through the cheese and spice of the nachos it's not worth seeking out. However, if you're out having tapas and selections are limited this will suffice.

2.06/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Can from LCBO. Another frequently marketed pale lager. I could not open he can with the little tab, A can opener worked, but had to suffer through the cheesy aroma first. Pale body with foamy off white head. Below average mouthfeel. There was a little malt in the taste, a tad of bitterness. It was not the worst yellow fizzy beer I have had, but not too drinkable.

2.53/5  rDev -9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a straw yellow, with a nice couple of fingers of white carbonation. Lace is thin and wispy.

Nose is adjunct grains. I get the requisite cream corn and rice notes. Unremarkable and pedestrian.

Taste is sweet and malty, with accents of cream corn and rice. Hops are there, but oh-so-lightly resigned to the background. The Bud Lite of Spain? Seems like it. Nothing more to see here.

2.47/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

I have consume this beer in numerous places in the United States, Spain, Morocco, and El Salvador; fairly uniformly tasting in all these countries. Pours bright yellow, foamy/soapy head that dissipated rapidly, and average carbonation. the aroma disappeared rapidly after pouring, it had a watery taste. with hops, wheat, rice, and malty yeast mixed in there. No real edge and pretty light filling.

3.33/5  rDev +19.8%

super common lager in barcelona...consumed a 32oz draft somewhere along las ramblas in barcelona on a steamy afternoon

appearance: big pale golden body, moderate beige cap and marginal retention

smell: corn, grain, and pale lager malts

taste: good enough to easily drink 32oz in a sitting and not regret the decision...nothing offensive, just a pale malt body through and through

mouthfeel: light, crisp, light vegetal sweetness

drinkability: oh, just fine

2.3/5  rDev -17.3%

Budweiser only with a decent head. Very clear, pale straw color. Extremely clarified. Looks like piss in a glass. But I'm giving it a two because it's got a nice head. Bright white, foamy, good retention and a crusty lace as it dies.

Smells like an American macro. Corn, grainy esters, facsimile of some sort of Pilsner malt.

Vague fruitiness with some floral notes. Not awful, just not good. Same grainy flavor as the smell.

Pretty smooth for piss in a glass. Has some sweetness to it, a grainy bite. Sort of a hoppy bite in the finish, though even that's masked by all the adjunct crap added.

I feel for the Spanish. This would be a good beer if you were stranded in the desert, otherwise, don't bother.

3.13/5  rDev +12.6%

I hade a .5 liter can brought back from Spain. It poured a clear gold in my 20-oz glass and left a bit of lacing. Th aroma has it's good point and back. There's a sharp, unpleasant boiled vegetable note, but also a nice bread and brown sugar character. The flavor is a little better with bread crust and a fruity lager notes backed by a lightly spicy hop finish. This beer actually tastes fairly decent, but there is an odd vodka note in background. Still, on a sweaty summer day, I'd enjoy a pint.

2.28/5  rDev -18%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Finger of foamy head. Clear, golden colored body.
Smell is grain and barnyard/wet hay.
The taste is mild bitterness, fizzy and short.
Crisp texture, too much carbonation though.
Not terribly offensive but the fizziness and boring flavor make this a one and done.

2.42/5  rDev -12.9%

Pretty decent for what it is, which is extremely cheap and ubiquitous. Similar to PBR in taste.

2.89/5  rDev +4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Come to find out this brew I had was expired/Outdated

Estrella Damm brewed by Damm S. A. This brew pours out a cloudy amber color with a small white head. This brew has alot of floating stuff in the bottom of the glass. The smell is rich and sweet with some grains. There is a lot of sweetness in the smell of this brew. The taste is different from most brews on the market. It really does not taste like beer. This is more fruity and non beer tasting. This brew is smooth but it different. This was not what I was expecting. Not a bad brew but not a good brew. I don't believe I would get this brew again. Overall I'm giving this brew a 2.75 out of 5

Come to find out this brew I had was expired/Outdated

to view more.
Estrella Damm from Damm S. A.