Estrella Damm Inedit - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm IneditEstrella Damm Inedit

good

Damm S. A. visit their website
Spain

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: philipquarles on 09-07-2009

2.81/5  rDev -19.7%

Nice bottle, nice creamy head on the pour, golden colour - all the good stuff. Witbier character coming through, but everything is good until the aftertaste. Macro lager follow through, probably brought on by a dodgy fermentation, or oversparging, or any of the other techniques employed by the big boys.

Dedicedly average (323 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

It comes in a nice 750Ml bottle. It pour a very bountiful head that leaves qickly but also leaves some lacing. It is slightly cloudy golden. It smells yeasty and wheaty and malty. Flavour is decent, not my favorite but ceertainly better than most Spanish beersI can't pin the exact thing that is jumping out of the flavour but I guess it is the malts in a caramel sort of way that make it a sweet whitbeir. It also has some fruitiness but not exactly discernible.

Mouthfeel is nice light to medium bodied. Overall a decent whitbier for a Spanish brewery but not as good as some of the German whits that are plentiful fow about the same price. This beer is approximately $6 USD out in town. (690 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +21.1%

I got excited when I saw this ElBulli inspired creation.

Looks like a farmhouse, pale yellow with only a light layer of lace.

Smells very unique, licorice & some funky malt. Figs? Very distinct.

Tastes, kind of blah. Watery, fruity. White peaches? Tartness Tame and unremarkable. Very pallet cleansing. They set out to create something that goes with lots of foods & I think they've succeeded. But, it is more like a dry prosecco. They made beer that does the same job as white wine but with malt.

While a great all around beverage it lacks the roasted notes that I like in beer. Very smooth, malty. (605 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured into a pint glass. Will pour into a wine glass as the label says and note any differences after. Attractive bottle; never had a beer from Spain before. Pours a cloudy golden with a generous two plus fingers of white head, some retention and lacing. Very active carbonation.

Sweet at first on the nose, reminds me a bit of melon. Light citrus undercurrent. Floral hops.

Mildly sweet up front, you get some red fruit, some citrus, and definite wheat in the malt character. Honey near the back end, some orange. Refreshing, but not the best wit I've had.

Probably will not buy this one again. Incidentally, pouring it into a wine glass didn't change anything. (667 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +3.4%

Found a 750ml bottle at Rich O's and decided to split it with a friend to close out a great night.

A: A crisp, clear golden body - not much haze/cloudiness like I see in other witbiers. Thin white head without much volume recedes to clingy, wispy white lacing.

S: Slightly sweet, slightly spicy and musky. There are notes of orange peel, fresh lemon, some coriander, some white pepper, maybe a dash of nutmeg or grains of paradise. Then there is the musky grain note - fresh milled wheat, some cereal-like sweetness.

T: Faintly sweet fruitiness with flashes of lemon, apple, pear, and a plethora of citrus rind notes. The sweetness up front is followed by a quick flash of spiciness - white pepper and coriander are two flavors that come to mind. Overall taste profile moves from fruity sweetness to peppery spice and then dries like a champagne in the finish.

M: Huge crispness on the palate as there is enough carbonation that leaves a searing, prickly sensation on the tongue.

D: I found this wit easy to quaff because the alcohol was not very present at all. That said, however, there are a couple other wits that are just as easy to drink with bolder and more interesting flavor profiles, and they are easier/cheaper to acquire.

This beer was designed to be paired with food, and while we had Rich O's famous beer cheese and pizza, I don't think that we got to see this beer in its fullest because we weren't able to pair it with the selections of food it was meant to pair. That said, I still enjoyed this beer, but it would probably shine even more in the right environment with the right gourmet selections to highlight its unique characteristics. (1,661 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -3.4%

Inedit's appearance may be the best thing it has going for it. Its a slightly cloudy light straw colour and has a huge frothy head.

The yeast smell is quite strong, supported by citrus and other fruit I can't quite nail down. The taste, however, is a little too watered down for me. Nice flavours like orange and lime are complemented by a sweet malt, but not much to balance it out.

A great mouthfeel makes up some lost ground with a creamy and light feel that finished very dry. Overall, not bad. A little bit pricey for what it is though. I paid 8 something for the bottle... (580 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +20%

I enjoyed this belgian style white beer very much. I think Estrella just puts out quality products. Anyway Estrella is a quality product. I love love it. I chose this beer over Guinness for the Spain v Ireland Euro Cup soccer match much to the anger of my Irish brethren. But I go with my pick who is way favored to win the cup with the pick of the beers.

I recommend Al Di Meola, John McLaughlin and Paco de Lucía's cd Friday Night cd for some wonderful guitar music that oozes out of the rich Spanish guitar tradition to blend with this wonderful Spanish beer. (564 characters)

Review based on the BJCP2008 guidelines (style 1B adapted). Bottle 75 cl - Batch L080201. AROMA: sweet grainy lager profile background with faint orange and spicy notes and very faint coriander. no hop aromas. APPEARANCE: pale yellow color and translucent. thin white head with low retention. TASTE: coriander and orange flavours with a grainy sweet profile. low bitterness. finishes semi-sweet. PALATE: thin body with medium-low carbonation. OVERALL: a watered down pale lager aromatized with some wit notes and nothing more. (526 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

750ml-- best before 03/14 -- tasted at 4C

A: Apple juice yellow hazy; translucent
S: not fresh; simple, wet cardboard, touch of apple juice, winey. I hate to say it but it smells like a cheap lager.
T: light and simple but lacks a crispness and there is NO finish at all. Likeable but not memorable.
M: medium light bodied. carbonation could be higher.
O: an okay beer but my expectations were so much higher. I guess I was just a sucker for the story, the packaging, the website... (484 characters)

3.55/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I found this in Lisbon
Quite fluffy head clear yellow good lace. not much carbonation

slight citrus-y aroma and a bit of spice like coriander

Pretty nice for Stella better than their other beers for sure but perfect for a witbier too sweet and not enough yeast flavor.

Pretty weak feel just too smooth and not enough carbonation

could be better but for mass produced beer it is not bad not as good as Hoegaarden but a bit different than other wit beers made by the big breweries. I'd drink it over blue moon at least (523 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -1.4%

I was forever intimidated by the $10 price tag on it, but my Manager said he loved it so I decided to dive in. First, the bottle itself is classy, classy enough that I would suggest it to wine lovers as a starting beer, just for the fact it comes in a similar looking bottle. But, seeing as we are all beer lovers, I digress.

It recommends on the bottle to pour it in a wine glass. Not having a wine glass I used my Stella Artois chalice since it is basically the same thing. It pouts a pale yellow with 2.5 fingers of head with yeast visibly floating in my glass when I shined a light on it. Smells citrusy, as any wheat beer would. Not a complex smell, but a pleasant one. Now the taste; it tastes like a below average wheat beer. It's not bad to be sure, but for ten dollars I expected a bit more complexity.

It is very watery, and the aftertaste is a little unpleasant. Not like "last sip" unpleasant, but not very good either. if it was maybe $6 or $7 for the bottle I would be less upset, but when you enter double digits it needs to be justified in the taste of the beer; sadly, It wasn't here. (1,104 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden hue with a big, white, fluffy head that dissipates into fine lace.

Sweet, malty nose with faint peach aroma. A little spicing from hop presense and coriander. Floral notes. A little melon on the nose as it warms - reminds me of watermelon seeds.

Creamy mouthfeel. Very crisp with fine bubbles - but plenty of them.

Slight tartness on the attack. It's like revisiting an old friend who got a good facelift. Palate is so light it's hard to get anything off it. Getting some of the licorice when look for it - no coriander or orange peel though. Fresh white peach flavors some through. Licorice gets overwhelming as it warms. Cold, I would give the palate a 4.0. Warm, it gets a 3.0.

This is a very easy beer to drink when well-chilled.

Made for enjoying with a meal. I think this is an excellent food beer. I would definitely pair this with a French meal - would go nicely with cream sauces.

I would buy this beer again. (936 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: light pale gold, cloudy, thin white head.

Smell: very nice at first, but disipates quickly. Initial aroma is muscat grapes.

Taste: light malt and wheat, some coriander, and orange. I found it lacking in the flavor department, I needed more.

Mouthfeel: thin and slick.

Drinkability: refreshing on a hot day, but I would choose one of the many other witbiers first. (379 characters)

Came in a rather stylish package and a champagne type bottle. Poured a light golden colour with a thick frothy head that left very little lacing. Smelled of hops, banana and citrus. Had a banana wheat flavour with a slight orange citrus aftertaste. Low on the carbonation and easy to drink. Very nice. (301 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -4.3%

A: Pours a pale golden liquid into the glass. The head is about two fingers high and very white. It has a typical witbier look with yeast floating around.

S: Belgian yeast. Oranges and coriander. Maybe some gooseberries also.

T: Wheat of course. Belgian yeast, oranges and coriander. Very balanced in taste.

M: Feels very light in the body. The carbonation is surprisingly strong and it leaves a tickling on the tongue long after a sip.

O: A witbier that pairs very well together with fish soup (which I had at the time of testing). All in all an overall witbier. (568 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass

A- white foamy head which quickly dissipates, light amber color, slightly cloudy.

S- Odd buttery aroma with slight citrus and hop notes, some spice in the back round, almost anise... Hard to pin down.

T- Light... TOO light and quite sweet. Hints of orange peel bitterness come through with a slight spice kick.

M- Feels almost flat in the mouth, actually, watery is a better way of putting it. Odd as the head was impressive before it faded.

High praise for the concept, but the execution leaves A LOT to be desired. This beer would rock in an imperial version but as it is, it's like that Eric Idle comment on American beer (something about a canoe...). I wanted to love this beer and after reading the mini booklet that came with the bottle, I was expecting so much more (823 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Golden straw color.
Aroma: Light malty smell.
Flavor: This beer does not the tradition bold Witbier flavor. It has a very light citrus (non-orange) flavor. It’s medium bodied, with a non-hoppy, very smooth finish.
Overall: This is a very good beer which is easy to drink. Note that the 12 oz bottle version of this beer is very sunky (grade F). The 22 oz. bottle is quite pricey, but you can stop drinking it.. One of my friends call it “a nice sipping beer”. It’s on my “you gotta try” list! (516 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Pours hazy gold with loose, clumpy head of 3 fingers that hangs around and leaves a wet lacing. Aroma is grassy and spicy with some lemony tang, inviting. Taste is light, really lighter than I hoped or expected. Dominant flavors follow the aroma, a straw-like grassiness is the most obvious followed by a clean peppery spice. Not a big flavor profile at all. Carbonation was lacking and mouthfeel was dry but odd. Overall the fancy bottle and big name chef on the label caused a letdown. Doubt I would purchase again. (524 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -34.3%

An expensive disappointment.

Smell, taste, mouth feel, all were weak and disappointing.

Overall there was sourness that reminded me of spoiled wine, and nothing clean or refreshing, like I'd expect from a whitbier.

Of course the bottle is nice, but who cares. (262 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +26.3%

O.K. so I see this 750 ml bottle and wonder what is this. To my surprise I find a Spanish brew from Estrella Damm. A beer I've never had and while I was in Spain I drank Estrella Galicia and other beers from brewpubs.

I poured into a tall hefewiezen glass. The color was a hazy, golden straw color. Nice foamy head.
The smell was citrus. Very nice. Every sip was a fantastic aroma of lemon.

The taste was lemony and hints of banana at the finish. very refreshing and light. This is a great choice for the summer but I advise you to drink it rapidly because it loses some quality when the beer gets warm.
I think its a great beer, altough its pricey. This bottle cost 9.99. (678 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +2.3%

750 ml bottle @ Kulminator, Antwerp.

Apparently this was once brewed in commission for El Bulli, formerly one of the best restaurants in the world, but since closed. Beers brewed for top establishments usually make me a little sceptic as they are always engineered from a food pairing point of view, but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

A: Nice cloudy looking wheat beer, pretty much how I expect them to look. Half a finger of a white head that disappears very quickly.

S: Wheat and some sort of herb, I'm guessing coriander.

T: Nice wheat forwardness, not much in the way of bitterness to cut through the sweetness though. A little dull, but very refreshing. Subtle coriander note. Sweetness seems to come from diacethyl.

M: Medium to light carbonation make the mouthfeel of this beer very silky and smooth. Nothing agressive and a nice experience.

O: All in all it's a typical purpose-brewed food pairing beer. A little sweet and clumsy to have just on its own, but it's a damn fine witbier when consumed ice cold, as it befits the style. (1,051 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +24%

Poured bright, without much carbonation. Very lacy head, which diminished fairly quickly. Could actually watch the head collapsing on itself. The restaurant i had it in served it in a wine glass, as suggested. Good flavor, hints of orange peel on the tip of the tongue. Most surprisingly was the finish. Very dry. Paired very nicely with the sockeye salmon I had while on a visit in Vancouver (392 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My brother gave me a bottle of the for Christmas of 2011. I was a big Adria fan and hadn't heard of the beer prior to being given a bottle, so was quite excited to try it.

Overall I was a little disappointed. I guess because I was expecting a lot from this. It is a good beer, and I can't complain about any aspect of it in particular, but nothing was really much above average.

I guess it is quite a unique style, and I can't say I've had anything quite like it before or since. But, overall it really just isn't that exciting, especially coming from the likes of Ferren Adria. I'd have it again but not in a hurry or at a price. (632 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +11.7%

Super clear golden colour.

Focused malt aromas, getting some bread, sitrus flavours aswell. A hint of something tropical with a touch of banana to it.

Nice creamy foam, clear yeast tones followed by autolyse in a long aftertaste. The tropical flavours ar also present here, but mainly yeastflavours.

This dry witbier is made for food, with it´s clear yeast, sitrus and floral components. A really good mouthfeel, but it lacks some concentration. (449 characters)

A- Pours a golden champagne color with a white head.

S- A WHISP of spice notes and citrus.

T- Refreshing and clean tasting with hints of coriander and grapefruit, it's basically a wheat beer though. It's nothing overpowering, if anything, it's a little underwhelming. It tastes more like watered down white wine but this beer would be good on a warm summer night.

Food Pairing- The makers of this beer say that this beer is meant for dining and I can see why, it's very light and has low alcohol. I could see this pairing well with some fish and root vegetables. (567 characters)

Estrella Damm Inedit from Damm S. A.