2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Estrella Damm Inedit - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm IneditEstrella Damm Inedit

good

Damm S. A. visit their website

Witbier |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: philipquarles on 09-07-2009)
View: Beers (19) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 300 | Reviews: 158 | Show All Ratings:
1000lbgrizzly

3.51/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Bright orange hue, like an autumn leaf. Fairly cloudy, thin head disappears quickly. Looks super crisp and refreshing. Bonus point for the minimalist and clean bottle/box art.

S: Great tropical fruit and wheat esters, if a bit thin. Orange, apricot, banana, it's all good.

T: What a letdown. Those already thin aromas have really been watered down so that you can only get a bit of tropical fruits and a slight malty/bready background. I wasn't expecting much since the alcohol content is so (SO) low, but this has less flavor than PBR, even if the flavors that are there are more appealing.

M: Crisp, very fluid, good effervescence; enough to make it alive but not bloating. Refreshing.

O: I wasn't sure how this would go. The labeling on the box and bottle made it seem like a world class beer, but the price tag and alcohol content said run-of-the-mill. I was expecting the latter but kept myself open to the former. I got the latter. It did have those citrus notes and refreshment it promised, but on much smaller scale than suggested. It was good, but nothing I would advocate looking for.

11-01-2013 21:48:52 | More by 1000lbgrizzly
EspressoGuy

British Columbia (Canada)

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

750ml-- best before 03/14 -- tasted at 4C

A: Apple juice yellow hazy; translucent
S: not fresh; simple, wet cardboard, touch of apple juice, winey. I hate to say it but it smells like a cheap lager.
T: light and simple but lacks a crispness and there is NO finish at all. Likeable but not memorable.
M: medium light bodied. carbonation could be higher.
O: an okay beer but my expectations were so much higher. I guess I was just a sucker for the story, the packaging, the website...

02-24-2014 01:55:38 | More by EspressoGuy
Olek4374

Alberta (Canada)

3.4/5  rDev -5.3%

I was forever intimidated by the $10 price tag on it, but my Manager said he loved it so I decided to dive in. First, the bottle itself is classy, classy enough that I would suggest it to wine lovers as a starting beer, just for the fact it comes in a similar looking bottle. But, seeing as we are all beer lovers, I digress.

It recommends on the bottle to pour it in a wine glass. Not having a wine glass I used my Stella Artois chalice since it is basically the same thing. It pouts a pale yellow with 2.5 fingers of head with yeast visibly floating in my glass when I shined a light on it. Smells citrusy, as any wheat beer would. Not a complex smell, but a pleasant one. Now the taste; it tastes like a below average wheat beer. It's not bad to be sure, but for ten dollars I expected a bit more complexity.

It is very watery, and the aftertaste is a little unpleasant. Not like "last sip" unpleasant, but not very good either. if it was maybe $6 or $7 for the bottle I would be less upset, but when you enter double digits it needs to be justified in the taste of the beer; sadly, It wasn't here.

05-15-2013 02:47:03 | More by Olek4374
DawnL

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Hazy golden hue with a big, white, fluffy head that dissipates into fine lace.

Sweet, malty nose with faint peach aroma. A little spicing from hop presense and coriander. Floral notes. A little melon on the nose as it warms - reminds me of watermelon seeds.

Creamy mouthfeel. Very crisp with fine bubbles - but plenty of them.

Slight tartness on the attack. It's like revisiting an old friend who got a good facelift. Palate is so light it's hard to get anything off it. Getting some of the licorice when look for it - no coriander or orange peel though. Fresh white peach flavors some through. Licorice gets overwhelming as it warms. Cold, I would give the palate a 4.0. Warm, it gets a 3.0.

This is a very easy beer to drink when well-chilled.

Made for enjoying with a meal. I think this is an excellent food beer. I would definitely pair this with a French meal - would go nicely with cream sauces.

I would buy this beer again.

09-25-2009 15:12:15 | More by DawnL
beersheppard

3.05/5  rDev -15%

Appearance: light pale gold, cloudy, thin white head.

Smell: very nice at first, but disipates quickly. Initial aroma is muscat grapes.

Taste: light malt and wheat, some coriander, and orange. I found it lacking in the flavor department, I needed more.

Mouthfeel: thin and slick.

Drinkability: refreshing on a hot day, but I would choose one of the many other witbiers first.

05-02-2010 21:51:29 | More by beersheppard
madvoice

Australia

Came in a rather stylish package and a champagne type bottle. Poured a light golden colour with a thick frothy head that left very little lacing. Smelled of hops, banana and citrus. Had a banana wheat flavour with a slight orange citrus aftertaste. Low on the carbonation and easy to drink. Very nice.

11-04-2012 07:21:38 | More by madvoice
eriktoyra

Sweden

3.35/5  rDev -6.7%

A: Pours a pale golden liquid into the glass. The head is about two fingers high and very white. It has a typical witbier look with yeast floating around.

S: Belgian yeast. Oranges and coriander. Maybe some gooseberries also.

T: Wheat of course. Belgian yeast, oranges and coriander. Very balanced in taste.

M: Feels very light in the body. The carbonation is surprisingly strong and it leaves a tickling on the tongue long after a sip.

O: A witbier that pairs very well together with fish soup (which I had at the time of testing). All in all an overall witbier.

03-12-2012 19:36:16 | More by eriktoyra
IRONRakkasan

3.98/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured a cloudy pale goold, with a floral nose and no head, reminding me of roses and some oranges. Small bits of sediment was floating in the glass (love that). The mouthfeel was slightly thin, but it was very drinkable and went down easy. I did like the notes of rose flavor. For me it was very refreshing.

Definitely recommended.

11-29-2010 04:10:24 | More by IRONRakkasan
exonthebottle

3.54/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.75

I found this in Lisbon
Quite fluffy head clear yellow good lace. not much carbonation

slight citrus-y aroma and a bit of spice like coriander

Pretty nice for Stella better than their other beers for sure but perfect for a witbier too sweet and not enough yeast flavor.

Pretty weak feel just too smooth and not enough carbonation

could be better but for mass produced beer it is not bad not as good as Hoegaarden but a bit different than other wit beers made by the big breweries. I'd drink it over blue moon at least

11-04-2013 11:24:12 | More by exonthebottle
Mike_Moe

4.54/5  rDev +26.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Golden straw color.
Aroma: Light malty smell.
Flavor: This beer does not the tradition bold Witbier flavor. It has a very light citrus (non-orange) flavor. It’s medium bodied, with a non-hoppy, very smooth finish.
Overall: This is a very good beer which is easy to drink. Note that the 12 oz bottle version of this beer is very sunky (grade F). The 22 oz. bottle is quite pricey, but you can stop drinking it.. One of my friends call it “a nice sipping beer”. It’s on my “you gotta try” list!

01-10-2014 05:53:24 | More by Mike_Moe
Bugsey

District of Columbia

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

An expensive disappointment.

Smell, taste, mouth feel, all were weak and disappointing.

Overall there was sourness that reminded me of spoiled wine, and nothing clean or refreshing, like I'd expect from a whitbier.

Of course the bottle is nice, but who cares.

11-16-2011 16:48:43 | More by Bugsey
REDAMI

3.14/5  rDev -12.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass

A- white foamy head which quickly dissipates, light amber color, slightly cloudy.

S- Odd buttery aroma with slight citrus and hop notes, some spice in the back round, almost anise... Hard to pin down.

T- Light... TOO light and quite sweet. Hints of orange peel bitterness come through with a slight spice kick.

M- Feels almost flat in the mouth, actually, watery is a better way of putting it. Odd as the head was impressive before it faded.

High praise for the concept, but the execution leaves A LOT to be desired. This beer would rock in an imperial version but as it is, it's like that Eric Idle comment on American beer (something about a canoe...). I wanted to love this beer and after reading the mini booklet that came with the bottle, I was expecting so much more

09-22-2013 00:55:53 | More by REDAMI
Dennoman

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

750 ml bottle @ Kulminator, Antwerp.

Apparently this was once brewed in commission for El Bulli, formerly one of the best restaurants in the world, but since closed. Beers brewed for top establishments usually make me a little sceptic as they are always engineered from a food pairing point of view, but I'm willing to give anything a shot.

A: Nice cloudy looking wheat beer, pretty much how I expect them to look. Half a finger of a white head that disappears very quickly.

S: Wheat and some sort of herb, I'm guessing coriander.

T: Nice wheat forwardness, not much in the way of bitterness to cut through the sweetness though. A little dull, but very refreshing. Subtle coriander note. Sweetness seems to come from diacethyl.

M: Medium to light carbonation make the mouthfeel of this beer very silky and smooth. Nothing agressive and a nice experience.

O: All in all it's a typical purpose-brewed food pairing beer. A little sweet and clumsy to have just on its own, but it's a damn fine witbier when consumed ice cold, as it befits the style.

08-21-2012 20:09:01 | More by Dennoman
jikvig

Norway

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Super clear golden colour.

Focused malt aromas, getting some bread, sitrus flavours aswell. A hint of something tropical with a touch of banana to it.

Nice creamy foam, clear yeast tones followed by autolyse in a long aftertaste. The tropical flavours ar also present here, but mainly yeastflavours.

This dry witbier is made for food, with it´s clear yeast, sitrus and floral components. A really good mouthfeel, but it lacks some concentration.

07-25-2010 16:09:03 | More by jikvig
BeersCriteria

A- Pours a golden champagne color with a white head.

S- A WHISP of spice notes and citrus.

T- Refreshing and clean tasting with hints of coriander and grapefruit, it's basically a wheat beer though. It's nothing overpowering, if anything, it's a little underwhelming. It tastes more like watered down white wine but this beer would be good on a warm summer night.

Food Pairing- The makers of this beer say that this beer is meant for dining and I can see why, it's very light and has low alcohol. I could see this pairing well with some fish and root vegetables.

11-21-2011 05:29:41 | More by BeersCriteria
sfsean28

4.43/5  rDev +23.4%

O.K. so I see this 750 ml bottle and wonder what is this. To my surprise I find a Spanish brew from Estrella Damm. A beer I've never had and while I was in Spain I drank Estrella Galicia and other beers from brewpubs.

I poured into a tall hefewiezen glass. The color was a hazy, golden straw color. Nice foamy head.
The smell was citrus. Very nice. Every sip was a fantastic aroma of lemon.

The taste was lemony and hints of banana at the finish. very refreshing and light. This is a great choice for the summer but I advise you to drink it rapidly because it loses some quality when the beer gets warm.
I think its a great beer, altough its pricey. This bottle cost 9.99.

03-21-2010 21:19:13 | More by sfsean28
cleverbeername

Nevada

3.43/5  rDev -4.5%

50* snifter, bottle

A white head, light apricot color

S peach pit, yeast with a nice cleanliness to it

T smooth, nice acid and crispness at end. fairly simple

M light, fresh and almost green

D 750ml, no problem. session beer, makes me think hot day in summer.

02-17-2010 00:03:38 | More by cleverbeername
SylviaFaye

2.45/5  rDev -31.8%

Appearance: It pours out light yellow and fizzy with a beautiful, foamy, 2-inch head.

Smell: sweet, faintly of citrus, honey

Flavor: citrus aftertaste, simple to a fault. I was expecting something much more in line with the the intensity of the smell. A chemical quality comes out at the base of this beer, especially when given time to sit, as those initial flavors that exist fade quickly.

Over all, I am extremely let down. With all the good things that I'd heard here and the huge price tag, I was expecting something much better. I will not purchase this again.

05-02-2010 14:26:47 | More by SylviaFaye
Tebuken

Argentina

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

This beer was a gift from my brother, at first time i thought it was nothing to take into a count(coming from my brother,lol) but it has surprised me.It is something to give it a try,for sure.

A- Pale golden colored beer ,nice white foam ,persistent .

S- Some cloves,coriander and bananas smell.

T- Some citric flavor here, not very hopped with a dry finish.

M- Light body, very easy to drink,refreshing.

O- A nice beer for aa hot summer.

02-09-2012 02:48:55 | More by Tebuken
John_Henry

Japan

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My brother gave me a bottle of the for Christmas of 2011. I was a big Adria fan and hadn't heard of the beer prior to being given a bottle, so was quite excited to try it.

Overall I was a little disappointed. I guess because I was expecting a lot from this. It is a good beer, and I can't complain about any aspect of it in particular, but nothing was really much above average.

I guess it is quite a unique style, and I can't say I've had anything quite like it before or since. But, overall it really just isn't that exciting, especially coming from the likes of Ferren Adria. I'd have it again but not in a hurry or at a price.

02-24-2013 14:17:15 | More by John_Henry
BlackDog

4.55/5  rDev +26.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

In honor of Barcelona's win in El Clásico this weekend, this week's beer of the week comes from Barcelona's Estrella Damm, where brewmasters teamed up with famed Catalan chef Ferran Adrià and his team at elBulli to create a unique wheat beer that's made to be paired with food.

A quick google search shows that Ferran Adrià doesn't mess around. After serving as a dishwasher and later as a chef in the Spanish military, Adrià joined elBulli as a line cook in 1984 at the age of 22. Eighteen months later he was the head chef. Since then, elBulli has been named the World's Best Restaurant by Restaurant Magazine five times, and Adrià has pioneered the "molecular gastronomy" movement while becoming the world's most awarded chef.

Inedit, with the help of Estrella Damm brewmasters and partner Juli Soler, is his beer. A wheat beer brewed with coriander, orange peel, and liquorice, it's meant to be paired with an food.

Inedit pours a light, hazy straw with a very fluffy white head. Retention is very good, while lacing is average.

The aroma of Inedit is, well, enticing. Notes of light wheat and straw meet orange, yeast, and citrus, inviting you to take a sip.

Tastes of wheat and lightly toasted grains are quickly outdone by orange, coriander, and other citrus notes. The beer has a floral spiciness toward the end, which follows through in the aftertaste.

The healthy carbonation lends to a creamy yet soft mouthfeel, which works well for the style.

The packaging of the beer (a large, wine-like bottle sold in a classy black box) suggests serving it chilled in a white wine glass, filling it only halfway. While I'm a proponent of using proper glassware to enhance the various qualities of a good beer, I'm not sure it's really necessary, as a regular pilsner glass does the job. While it certainly couldn't hurt to use a wine glass, I think Inedit will please no matter what.

10-31-2013 00:34:10 | More by BlackDog
stoepsel

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very noble bottle-design raises my expectations - let's see:
My first impression is a hazy lemon-like smell which converts in to a taste of bitter oranges once in my mouth.
Finish is dry, a little bit dull maybe, and yeasty.
Flawless and drinkable Witbier, not as well balanced as a Hoegaarden though.

12-06-2010 20:33:30 | More by stoepsel
Beerman3000

Connecticut

2.68/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer has a little booklet attached that says it was brewed specifically to go with food. Also says it is brewed with coriander, orange peel, and licoroice. Use of both barley and wheat along with bottle conditioning alludes to a Belgian style of some sort or other. Seems to be dated 07/09, so should be fresh. Hazy, lemonade-like yellow color, like a witbier. Big, puffy, white head -- velvety and natural. Unusual, bright, slightly citrus-peely (but not sour) nose. Also some sweetish, vanilla tones, and just a hint of toasting. A tad of white pepper like dryness. Light, fizzy mouth feel - quite champagne-like. Not much flavor. Rather offish, actually, with dull cardboardy notes. I cannot detect any of the advertised spices. Label does not indicate % alcohol, but I'd guess around 4-5%. Great nose, good body, poor flavor. This beer seems as though it has been poorly handled and has been damaged. And I dropped $10.50 for this sucker at Whole Foods! I'll have to try it again from another supplier.

12-21-2008 05:36:09 | More by Beerman3000
kikobcn

3.38/5  rDev -5.8%

This beer comes out from Estrella Damm production 3 years ago in this elegant 750Ml bottle with just a star on the black label. No can packaging till now.

It pours shining yellow with nice cap.

The smell is definitely citrous

The taste is light and smooth with a citrus aftertaste.

Overall is a light beer that match perfecly with seafood in general.

12-25-2011 20:57:22 | More by kikobcn
genek

Maine

2.8/5  rDev -22%

A- pours well with nice head, poor retention it held up for a minute or so. Fair golden appearance very clear. Decent lacing though poor carbonation

S- Nothing noteworthy, slight citrusy floral scent

T- Too mellow, few beer attributes. No hops to speak of, almost cloying honey flavors with some citrus that is difficult to identify (orange on the label.) No malty-ness either. The flavor is very shallow, though I'm attempting to see layers in this drink there are none I can identify

M- Fluffy is the best term I could think of, not sippable but gulpable, This beer slides down easily

D- Split a bottle with a friend and now, 10 minutes later its empty, though if there was one more bottle I don't believe either of us would crack it.

I am hoping that Barcelona's got something more exciting for me to pour, if anyones got something spanish to try I'd be happy to hear about it.

09-06-2009 22:42:05 | More by genek
Estrella Damm Inedit from Damm S. A.