Estrella Damm 4.6% - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm 4.6%Estrella Damm 4.6%

to view more.
Ratings: 117 | Reviews: 35
2.77/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This lager is OK, San Miguel is much better if I were to compare Spanish lagers.

Boring looking bottle I'd say, looks a little cheap.

Beautiful colour and plenty of bubbles, the carbonation sticks around long enough but shorter than usual.

Light taste, goes down OK, feels a little unbalanced with the carbonation, goes down a little rough.
After taste is clean and crisp.

Overall a cheap lager I think, nothing special or worth mentioning. Something you'd drink in mass when 'out on the piss'

Visca el Barça i visca Catalunya!

3.47/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A big fan of this since it reminds me of Madrid, overall a classic taste

3.63/5  rDev +21%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard EPL, not quite flavorless... highly enjoyable in the hot sun or after hockey

2.85/5  rDev -5%

33cl bottle. 07/15. Looks like water with a very pale straw colouring added. Thin, frothy white head which quickly fizzled to a ring leaving traces of lacing. Light grassy, hay aroma with some malt and lemon. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Thin bodied, smooth, gentle bitter finish. Well made, nicely balanced and inoffensive I just find this beer too unassuming. 6.

2.35/5  rDev -21.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Tasteless and quite boring. Drinkable though

3.65/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very clear light color on the pour but surprisingly malty for a lager. Pretty good for what it is. I only had 1 but could easily have had 4. Will definitely try again

2.08/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Boring beer, maybe will be better very cold at the beach in Spain.

3.93/5  rDev +31%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I didn't even know Spain made beer. I throughly enjoyed the distinct malt bite

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

I'd like to say it was a 'Damm' good lager, but it was firmly run-of-the-mill brew.

2.52/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Clear pale golden color with an average to big foamy white head. The aroma is quite unpleasant with some herbal and grassy hoppy notes, stale maltiness, mild graininess, metal and soap. The flavor is mild, grassy, hoppy and perhaps a stale grain malt. Very watery or light and devoid of hop or malt aftertaste.

2.94/5  rDev -2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from the 1 liter brown glass screwcap bottle. Figured since there's the head additive in there anyway the appearance isn't going to matter much.

S: The bottle fizzed open as I unscrewed it, and out wafted a slightly skunky smell of old veggies and grain. Closer inspection reveals that this was not skunked, just an unfortunate first impression. Really it smells much like any other Euro pale lager.

T: Not too bad. Has a Budweisery "smoothness" to it. Grainy with a bit of sweet corn in there. Finishes somewhat bitter and then reverts to being balanced quickly. Tastes like a stereotypical "beer." Kind of grows on you a bit with time. I can see having many of these.

Overall This will do in a pinch if you're looking for something just kind of straightforward and not out of the box. Budweiser is probably cheaper and easier to obtain for a similar product. Not bad, but probably not worth the extra money and hassle for not much difference. Once was good enough.

3.89/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I purchased this at a Stew Leonards Wine retailer in Northern New Jersey on a whim. Saw it in the case and said, "why not give this one a try." I've made some blundering mistakes in the past by doing this... but I live and learn to drink another day! I must say that this was not even close to a mistake. Possibly, because my expectations were already set somewhat low, but this one was not too bad. It had a code date clearly labeled, tasted very fresh, and actually made me want to have another one (which BTW is how I actually rate beers!) Perhaps there is an inconsistency with different batches brewed as per some of the rating here but I guess I will now venture forward and find out. Salud!

A: Pours a clear yellow color with a decent 15 mm head to begin with, then dissipates to about 2 mm around the edges with some sporadic floaters in the center. The lacing around the glass is average and remained throughout consumption.

S: Has a slightly sweet wheat/grass-like aroma somewhat familiar in European lagers.

T: Somewhat malty but difficult to determine overall. Not a whole lot in the way of hops. Goes down quite easy though with a smooth texture on the palate. No dissapointing aftertaste that I can come up with... and I've tried hard. It's quite drinkable and basically tastes like... well... beer.

M: Somewhat pleasant. Leaves me wanting another sip.

O: I would definitely purchase this again. I checked for a code date and found one clearly labeled on the necker as 05/14 (review is 11/13) which leads me to want to believe that I actually bought a fairly fresh batch. No significant complaints here but do have some compliments to the city of Barcelona for producing a very drinkable lager. However, this beer is more of a summer brew to enjoy outdoors on a hot and humid day.

2.95/5  rDev -1.7%

I bought a six-pack for some thing different to try. I really get into my favorites and don't review a beer for a while or go out and have one on tap and won't review it because I feel that the food interferes with the overall beer experience. Here goes.

Poured from a 330ml brown bottle (that is 11.3 oz) into a pint glass. There is no date code. I got 1 1/2 fingers of head that dissipated at a medium rate to leave only a white ring around the glass.

A: Pours a yellow, straw color with good lacing in the beginning and almost nothing after the first sip.

S: A wheat aroma mixed with wet hay and some yeast.

T: There is not much there but the aftertaste. There is not much of a hop taste but mostly malt and then a bitter aftertaste that isn't unpleasant. I just can't identify it specifically.

M: Light at first and then nothing towards the end.

O: Overall, not a terrible beer. I think that it's old but with no code date it's really hard to say. Another thing that is hard to describe is that the quality of the beer varies from bottle to bottle within the same six-pack. This is a middle of the road one. I've had one slightly worse and one slightly better. This beer is at best just ok.

I wouldn't buy this one again, probably. After all, this 330ml format is short of a standard six-pack. I probably wouldn't turn one down though.

3.14/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

330ml bottle, poured into Leffe chalice. 4.8%abv. Golden colour, clear, one finger head didn't hang around very long, not much lacing either. Aroma was paint and malt. Tasted a malt forward bitterness, slightly bready. The finish had a bit of sweetness. Crisp texture, light body, well carbonated. Overall it had a fairly basic taste, not bad for a hot day, but not that great.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

Bottle served in Pilsner glass.

A - Pale gold color, little head. Diminishes rapidly.

S - Slight wheat and malt. Lemon esters?

T - Pale lager flavor, malt, wheat and honey. Fruity.

M - Light, high carbonation. Dry finish.

O-Not the biggest Lager fan, especially European Lagers, didn't really enjoy it.

2.92/5  rDev -2.7%

It has a Pale yellow color, and made one finger head.
Aroma has a faint smell of hops and rice. Good carbonation that kicks in at a later stage.
Light body, it tastes like any adjunct lager (corn and rice), though a little less metallic which is felt as it warms up. Mildly bitter, beer for quench one thirst.

2.72/5  rDev -9.3%

ABV 4,6%

A beer included in a BEERS OF THE WORLD package that I bought recently, and by that I mean a month ago, and that's how long this bottle sits in the fridge. Time to crack it open.
A tall brown bottle with a short neck and the words "Barcelona" and "1876" engraved on the bottle. Nice bottle, different. Ingredients include rice and corn amongst the usual barley and hops, plus a E-405 stabilizer, for whatever reason. (Edit: after a short internet search I found out is used to make the foam look thicker and give it better retention too.)
Nice lager aroma as I opened the bottle. I poured it into a standard glass and it gave me a pale hay yellow colour, with two fingers of white, froathy head, that in the time I needed to put my bottle aside, had turned itno a half centimeter high strip of foam. Its texture now seems more soapy than froathy and the retention is also better. Imagine without the E-405 additive.
Aroma is typical of a lager, one that contains rice I mean. The corn smell is very faint and there is an old bread smell too. Nothing too bad though.
On the taste it's not anything special, sort of sweet from the malts and the rice, with the aftertaste being neutral. Reminded me a lot of the Budweiser that I had recently, too many adjuncts to get a clear taste.
Very thin on the body and an average amount of carbonation.
Overall, as with the Budweiser, it didn't make me jump off my seat, but I can see myself drinking it in quantities, on a very hot summer day, as I suppose the spanish ones are. Great thirst quencher.

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a very clear golden colour, some head that dissipates quickly, no lacing.

Skunky corn and metallic aroma, adjunct lager smell.

Malty, watery, taste of corn, slight aftertaste.

Light carbonation, light bodied. Overall, not bad but nothing special.

3.78/5  rDev +26%

Poured into a fluted pilsener glass. The beer is a light golden color with a frothy white head that doesn't dissipate much. Loads of thick lacing coat the glass. The beer smells slightly sweet with a bit of a malt aroma with hay. Tastes sweet and grassy to start. There's a malty backbone with a faint hop finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied and dry.

Overall, a much better experience the second time, musy have had an old sixer the first time I reviewed. In my fluted pilsener glass, the head retention and lacing are amazing. Nice tasting summer beer here, if fresh.

3.17/5  rDev +5.7%

P:  A minuscule amount of thin airy white head that fades rapidly.  Golden clear, not crystal, effervescent body that appears light and sloshy.

S:  Skunked fruit, yeast,astringent, slight floral aroma and metallic.

T/M:  Skunky yeast, moldy grass, timid citrus, and light malts. Light body that has a big carbonated punch that finishes semi somewhat dry and lingering herbal tea.

O:  Honestly I was not looking to get much from this but I was surprised that it wasn't half bad. Not a go to beer that I would keep on hand but good for what it is.

1.81/5  rDev -39.7%

(From a hollow-stemmed chalice)

Appearance: Estrella Damm 4.6% pours a watery xanthic, with a thin head which dissipated quickly, leaving a thin white ring.

Smell: The beer smells of a yeasty fresh field, with some light floral notes at the back. The initial hit is of dirty adjuncts which remind me of the old dead beers I used to smell when I got too close to Granddad.

Taste: I'm struggling to taste anything beyond maltiness and a bit of hoppiness. As my wife said, "It's just beer." There might be a hint of fresh field grass in there too, but that's hard to pick out since the beer is quite astringent.

Mouthfeel: The beer is quite smooth before the carbonation kicks in. That carbonation is light-medium, and it gives the beer a dry finish.

Overall: Like the wife said, "It's just beer." Make a cup of tea instead.

2.91/5  rDev -3%

I'm not sure why there is a separate entry for this 4.6% version, but as that's what I've got I guess I'll review it here.

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2012. The label mentions rice and maize in addition to malt, so it's loaded with adjuncts.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale gold colour with medium carbonation. Forms a nice head of creamy white foam that lasts for a minute or two before collapsing. Aroma of faint malt with undertones of corn and a vague sweetness. Weak.

Tastes of watery malt with a dry finish. Subtle hints of corn and stewed hops in the background. Slightly sweet. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and dry, but watery and insubstantial. Mildly astringent, with an aftertaste of faint malt.

Weak sauce. Bland and characterless. I suppose it would be OK on a hot day in Catalunya, but there are plenty of better beers. Nothing else to say really - give it a miss.

2.58/5  rDev -14%

Pours a pale straw yellow colour with a large, soapy head that settles as a moldy-looking film and leaves ample lace behind.

Smells primarily of cereal adjuncts, namely corn and rice. Some grasses and a very faint floral aroma can be found as well. Overly sweet with a chemical note I don’t care for.

The taste is sweet and again dominated by rice and corn. Sadly, there isn’t much else here, maybe a mild soapy note.

Very thin-bodied with a light, but noticeable carbonation. Prickly on the tongue with a slightly dry finish and an aftertaste of wet grains accompanied by a very light oiliness.

The most positive aspect of this beer is its can and that they don’t hide the fact that they use corn, rice and something called propylene glycol alginate. I will never buy this again, nor recommend it to anyone.

3.38/5  rDev +12.7%

A: Clear golden yellow, 2 fingers of nice white clean head that lingers a while and leaves nice lacing.

S: Bread, grassy clean light hops

T: Malt, wheat, a touch of sweet pilsner flavor.

M: Creamy smooth, lots of milky carbonation. Medium bodied despite its appearance. Very nice creamy feel.

O: A very nice creamy lager.

to view more.
Estrella Damm 4.6% from Damm S. A.