Estrella Damm 4.6% - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm 4.6%Estrella Damm 4.6%

Damm S. A. visit their website
Spain

Euro Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Faune on 07-26-2010)
Reviews by BucBasil:
BucBasil

2.95/5  rDev -1.3%

Drank from the 1 liter brown glass screwcap bottle. Figured since there's the head additive in there anyway the appearance isn't going to matter much.

S: The bottle fizzed open as I unscrewed it, and out wafted a slightly skunky smell of old veggies and grain. Closer inspection reveals that this was not skunked, just an unfortunate first impression. Really it smells much like any other Euro pale lager.

T: Not too bad. Has a Budweisery "smoothness" to it. Grainy with a bit of sweet corn in there. Finishes somewhat bitter and then reverts to being balanced quickly. Tastes like a stereotypical "beer." Kind of grows on you a bit with time. I can see having many of these.

Overall This will do in a pinch if you're looking for something just kind of straightforward and not out of the box. Budweiser is probably cheaper and easier to obtain for a similar product. Not bad, but probably not worth the extra money and hassle for not much difference. Once was good enough.

11-26-2013 13:01:42 | More by BucBasil

06-23-2014 01:55:00 | More by ChaseBacon
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

2.93/5  rDev -2%

I'm not sure why there is a separate entry for this 4.6% version, but as that's what I've got I guess I'll review it here.

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2012. The label mentions rice and maize in addition to malt, so it's loaded with adjuncts.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale gold colour with medium carbonation. Forms a nice head of creamy white foam that lasts for a minute or two before collapsing. Aroma of faint malt with undertones of corn and a vague sweetness. Weak.

Tastes of watery malt with a dry finish. Subtle hints of corn and stewed hops in the background. Slightly sweet. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and dry, but watery and insubstantial. Mildly astringent, with an aftertaste of faint malt.

Weak sauce. Bland and characterless. I suppose it would be OK on a hot day in Catalunya, but there are plenty of better beers. Nothing else to say really - give it a miss.

04-20-2012 21:06:08 | More by jazzyjeff13

2.5/5  rDev -16.4%

12-07-2013 09:38:00 | More by Ciocanelu
Damian74Shensky

2.23/5  rDev -25.4%

Bottle served in Pilsner glass.

A - Pale gold color, little head. Diminishes rapidly.

S - Slight wheat and malt. Lemon esters?

T - Pale lager flavor, malt, wheat and honey. Fruity.

M - Light, high carbonation. Dry finish.

O-Not the biggest Lager fan, especially European Lagers, didn't really enjoy it.

01-06-2013 02:34:55 | More by Damian74Shensky

3.5/5  rDev +17.1%

11-27-2013 03:41:48 | More by mmink27
Stocean1

Ontario (Canada)

Poured a can from the LCBO, two fingers of white head upon a straw colored body, decent retention leaving a nice 1cm collar of suds with some patchy lacing. Smell is grainy malt and corn, with some faint grassy hops and lemon. Taste follows the knows with some stale biscuit and faintly floral. Light body with plenty of carbonation this is a simple brew that is very drinkable and although there is little flavour there is definitely nothing offensive about it either. Little bitterness and somewhat dry. Not a brew I will buy again however I would not be offended on a hot day if I were offered one. Seems like a light pilsener rather than a euro trash pale lager.

02-18-2012 17:50:51 | More by Stocean1

Douberd

Netherlands

2.7/5  rDev -9.7%

ABV 4,6%

A beer included in a BEERS OF THE WORLD package that I bought recently, and by that I mean a month ago, and that's how long this bottle sits in the fridge. Time to crack it open.
A tall brown bottle with a short neck and the words "Barcelona" and "1876" engraved on the bottle. Nice bottle, different. Ingredients include rice and corn amongst the usual barley and hops, plus a E-405 stabilizer, for whatever reason. (Edit: after a short internet search I found out is used to make the foam look thicker and give it better retention too.)
Nice lager aroma as I opened the bottle. I poured it into a standard glass and it gave me a pale hay yellow colour, with two fingers of white, froathy head, that in the time I needed to put my bottle aside, had turned itno a half centimeter high strip of foam. Its texture now seems more soapy than froathy and the retention is also better. Imagine without the E-405 additive.
Aroma is typical of a lager, one that contains rice I mean. The corn smell is very faint and there is an old bread smell too. Nothing too bad though.
On the taste it's not anything special, sort of sweet from the malts and the rice, with the aftertaste being neutral. Reminded me a lot of the Budweiser that I had recently, too many adjuncts to get a clear taste.
Very thin on the body and an average amount of carbonation.
Overall, as with the Budweiser, it didn't make me jump off my seat, but I can see myself drinking it in quantities, on a very hot summer day, as I suppose the spanish ones are. Great thirst quencher.

09-18-2012 15:59:49 | More by Douberd
Woldlarsen

4.5/5  rDev +50.5%

07-29-2014 09:49:28 | More by Woldlarsen
thehyperduck

Ontario (Canada)

3.13/5  rDev +4.7%

500 mL single can picked up with a few other randoms. At first I thought I was reviewing the regular Estrella Damm but the 4.6% ABV rating leads me to believe that this is the proper place to put the review. This pours a yellow-golden colour, producing about two fingers of head. Within a minute, the head is mostly gone, although some lacing remains on the surface. Smell is of citrus, but nondescript otherwise.

Hops and malts are both there, but they're faint and completely dominated by the carbonation. A bit of citrus and corn with some pale malt sweetness. Clean finish with a twinge of bitterness. Carbonation is moderately high, but typical of the style. If nothing else, this is a refreshing beer.

I like it, but I doubt I will get it again - there's nothing particularly outstanding about it, and there are other better euro lagers readily available in most stores.

[Updated Nov. 2 2013]

Revisiting this one a few years later with another 500 mL can. This is a decent Euro-style lager, but it has no distinguishing features whatsoever - I'd take this over Heineken, but that's not really much of an achievement. Very forgettable, but it'll get the job done if you just want something fizzy and yellow to wash down some salty snacks.

Final Grade: 3.13, a C+.

05-03-2011 18:35:20 | More by thehyperduck
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.8/5  rDev +27.1%

Poured into a fluted pilsener glass. The beer is a light golden color with a frothy white head that doesn't dissipate much. Loads of thick lacing coat the glass. The beer smells slightly sweet with a bit of a malt aroma with hay. Tastes sweet and grassy to start. There's a malty backbone with a faint hop finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied and dry.

Overall, a much better experience the second time, musy have had an old sixer the first time I reviewed. In my fluted pilsener glass, the head retention and lacing are amazing. Nice tasting summer beer here, if fresh.

06-10-2012 15:54:51 | More by JuicesFlowing
JohnnyJam

Arizona

2.95/5  rDev -1.3%

I bought a six-pack for some thing different to try. I really get into my favorites and don't review a beer for a while or go out and have one on tap and won't review it because I feel that the food interferes with the overall beer experience. Here goes.

Poured from a 330ml brown bottle (that is 11.3 oz) into a pint glass. There is no date code. I got 1 1/2 fingers of head that dissipated at a medium rate to leave only a white ring around the glass.

A: Pours a yellow, straw color with good lacing in the beginning and almost nothing after the first sip.

S: A wheat aroma mixed with wet hay and some yeast.

T: There is not much there but the aftertaste. There is not much of a hop taste but mostly malt and then a bitter aftertaste that isn't unpleasant. I just can't identify it specifically.

M: Light at first and then nothing towards the end.

O: Overall, not a terrible beer. I think that it's old but with no code date it's really hard to say. Another thing that is hard to describe is that the quality of the beer varies from bottle to bottle within the same six-pack. This is a middle of the road one. I've had one slightly worse and one slightly better. This beer is at best just ok.

I wouldn't buy this one again, probably. After all, this 330ml format is short of a standard six-pack. I probably wouldn't turn one down though.

08-07-2013 22:44:25 | More by JohnnyJam
Estrella Damm 4.6% from Damm S. A.