Estrella Damm 4.6% - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm 4.6%Estrella Damm 4.6%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 120 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by Ciocanelu:
2.91/5  rDev -2.7%

I'm not sure why there is a separate entry for this 4.6% version, but as that's what I've got I guess I'll review it here.

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2012. The label mentions rice and maize in addition to malt, so it's loaded with adjuncts.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale gold colour with medium carbonation. Forms a nice head of creamy white foam that lasts for a minute or two before collapsing. Aroma of faint malt with undertones of corn and a vague sweetness. Weak.

Tastes of watery malt with a dry finish. Subtle hints of corn and stewed hops in the background. Slightly sweet. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and dry, but watery and insubstantial. Mildly astringent, with an aftertaste of faint malt.

Weak sauce. Bland and characterless. I suppose it would be OK on a hot day in Catalunya, but there are plenty of better beers. Nothing else to say really - give it a miss.

2.77/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This lager is OK, San Miguel is much better if I were to compare Spanish lagers.

Boring looking bottle I'd say, looks a little cheap.

Beautiful colour and plenty of bubbles, the carbonation sticks around long enough but shorter than usual.

Light taste, goes down OK, feels a little unbalanced with the carbonation, goes down a little rough.
After taste is clean and crisp.

Overall a cheap lager I think, nothing special or worth mentioning. Something you'd drink in mass when 'out on the piss'

2.25/5  rDev -24.7%

Bottle served in Pilsner glass.

A - Pale gold color, little head. Diminishes rapidly.

S - Slight wheat and malt. Lemon esters?

T - Pale lager flavor, malt, wheat and honey. Fruity.

M - Light, high carbonation. Dry finish.

O-Not the biggest Lager fan, especially European Lagers, didn't really enjoy it.

Poured a can from the LCBO, two fingers of white head upon a straw colored body, decent retention leaving a nice 1cm collar of suds with some patchy lacing. Smell is grainy malt and corn, with some faint grassy hops and lemon. Taste follows the knows with some stale biscuit and faintly floral. Light body with plenty of carbonation this is a simple brew that is very drinkable and although there is little flavour there is definitely nothing offensive about it either. Little bitterness and somewhat dry. Not a brew I will buy again however I would not be offended on a hot day if I were offered one. Seems like a light pilsener rather than a euro trash pale lager.

2.72/5  rDev -9%

ABV 4,6%

A beer included in a BEERS OF THE WORLD package that I bought recently, and by that I mean a month ago, and that's how long this bottle sits in the fridge. Time to crack it open.
A tall brown bottle with a short neck and the words "Barcelona" and "1876" engraved on the bottle. Nice bottle, different. Ingredients include rice and corn amongst the usual barley and hops, plus a E-405 stabilizer, for whatever reason. (Edit: after a short internet search I found out is used to make the foam look thicker and give it better retention too.)
Nice lager aroma as I opened the bottle. I poured it into a standard glass and it gave me a pale hay yellow colour, with two fingers of white, froathy head, that in the time I needed to put my bottle aside, had turned itno a half centimeter high strip of foam. Its texture now seems more soapy than froathy and the retention is also better. Imagine without the E-405 additive.
Aroma is typical of a lager, one that contains rice I mean. The corn smell is very faint and there is an old bread smell too. Nothing too bad though.
On the taste it's not anything special, sort of sweet from the malts and the rice, with the aftertaste being neutral. Reminded me a lot of the Budweiser that I had recently, too many adjuncts to get a clear taste.
Very thin on the body and an average amount of carbonation.
Overall, as with the Budweiser, it didn't make me jump off my seat, but I can see myself drinking it in quantities, on a very hot summer day, as I suppose the spanish ones are. Great thirst quencher.

3.11/5  rDev +4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

500 mL single can picked up with a few other randoms. At first I thought I was reviewing the regular Estrella Damm but the 4.6% ABV rating leads me to believe that this is the proper place to put the review. This pours a yellow-golden colour, producing about two fingers of head. Within a minute, the head is mostly gone, although some lacing remains on the surface. Smell is of citrus, but nondescript otherwise.

Hops and malts are both there, but they're faint and completely dominated by the carbonation. A bit of citrus and corn with some pale malt sweetness. Clean finish with a twinge of bitterness. Carbonation is moderately high, but typical of the style. If nothing else, this is a refreshing beer.

I like it, but I doubt I will get it again - there's nothing particularly outstanding about it, and there are other better euro lagers readily available in most stores.

[Updated Nov. 2 2013]

Revisiting this one a few years later with another 500 mL can. This is a decent Euro-style lager, but it has no distinguishing features whatsoever - I'd take this over Heineken, but that's not really much of an achievement. Very forgettable, but it'll get the job done if you just want something fizzy and yellow to wash down some salty snacks.

Final Grade: 3.11, a C+.

3.47/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A big fan of this since it reminds me of Madrid, overall a classic taste

3.63/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Standard EPL, not quite flavorless... highly enjoyable in the hot sun or after hockey

2.95/5  rDev -1.3%

I bought a six-pack for some thing different to try. I really get into my favorites and don't review a beer for a while or go out and have one on tap and won't review it because I feel that the food interferes with the overall beer experience. Here goes.

Poured from a 330ml brown bottle (that is 11.3 oz) into a pint glass. There is no date code. I got 1 1/2 fingers of head that dissipated at a medium rate to leave only a white ring around the glass.

A: Pours a yellow, straw color with good lacing in the beginning and almost nothing after the first sip.

S: A wheat aroma mixed with wet hay and some yeast.

T: There is not much there but the aftertaste. There is not much of a hop taste but mostly malt and then a bitter aftertaste that isn't unpleasant. I just can't identify it specifically.

M: Light at first and then nothing towards the end.

O: Overall, not a terrible beer. I think that it's old but with no code date it's really hard to say. Another thing that is hard to describe is that the quality of the beer varies from bottle to bottle within the same six-pack. This is a middle of the road one. I've had one slightly worse and one slightly better. This beer is at best just ok.

I wouldn't buy this one again, probably. After all, this 330ml format is short of a standard six-pack. I probably wouldn't turn one down though.

3.89/5  rDev +30.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I purchased this at a Stew Leonards Wine retailer in Northern New Jersey on a whim. Saw it in the case and said, "why not give this one a try." I've made some blundering mistakes in the past by doing this... but I live and learn to drink another day! I must say that this was not even close to a mistake. Possibly, because my expectations were already set somewhat low, but this one was not too bad. It had a code date clearly labeled, tasted very fresh, and actually made me want to have another one (which BTW is how I actually rate beers!) Perhaps there is an inconsistency with different batches brewed as per some of the rating here but I guess I will now venture forward and find out. Salud!

A: Pours a clear yellow color with a decent 15 mm head to begin with, then dissipates to about 2 mm around the edges with some sporadic floaters in the center. The lacing around the glass is average and remained throughout consumption.

S: Has a slightly sweet wheat/grass-like aroma somewhat familiar in European lagers.

T: Somewhat malty but difficult to determine overall. Not a whole lot in the way of hops. Goes down quite easy though with a smooth texture on the palate. No dissapointing aftertaste that I can come up with... and I've tried hard. It's quite drinkable and basically tastes like... well... beer.

M: Somewhat pleasant. Leaves me wanting another sip.

O: I would definitely purchase this again. I checked for a code date and found one clearly labeled on the necker as 05/14 (review is 11/13) which leads me to want to believe that I actually bought a fairly fresh batch. No significant complaints here but do have some compliments to the city of Barcelona for producing a very drinkable lager. However, this beer is more of a summer brew to enjoy outdoors on a hot and humid day.

2.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours a pale straw yellow colour with a large, soapy head that settles as a moldy-looking film and leaves ample lace behind.

Smells primarily of cereal adjuncts, namely corn and rice. Some grasses and a very faint floral aroma can be found as well. Overly sweet with a chemical note I don’t care for.

The taste is sweet and again dominated by rice and corn. Sadly, there isn’t much else here, maybe a mild soapy note.

Very thin-bodied with a light, but noticeable carbonation. Prickly on the tongue with a slightly dry finish and an aftertaste of wet grains accompanied by a very light oiliness.

The most positive aspect of this beer is its can and that they don’t hide the fact that they use corn, rice and something called propylene glycol alginate. I will never buy this again, nor recommend it to anyone.

3.17/5  rDev +6%

P:  A minuscule amount of thin airy white head that fades rapidly.  Golden clear, not crystal, effervescent body that appears light and sloshy.

S:  Skunked fruit, yeast,astringent, slight floral aroma and metallic.

T/M:  Skunky yeast, moldy grass, timid citrus, and light malts. Light body that has a big carbonated punch that finishes semi somewhat dry and lingering herbal tea.

O:  Honestly I was not looking to get much from this but I was surprised that it wasn't half bad. Not a go to beer that I would keep on hand but good for what it is.

2.85/5  rDev -4.7%

33cl bottle. 07/15. Looks like water with a very pale straw colouring added. Thin, frothy white head which quickly fizzled to a ring leaving traces of lacing. Light grassy, hay aroma with some malt and lemon. Slightly sweet, slightly bitter. Thin bodied, smooth, gentle bitter finish. Well made, nicely balanced and inoffensive I just find this beer too unassuming. 6.

2.88/5  rDev -3.7%

330ml brown bottle poured into a pils glass.

L:
Golden yellow color with average white foamy head with good retention, it gradually dissipates then left some lacing stick. High carbonation generates fizzy bubbles ascending.

S:
Grain, bread, malt and grassy hop all blend together.

T:
Kick off with grain and bread malt, follow by subtle lime zest. Hop bitterness is muted and barely detectable.

F:
The body is light with soothing carbonation, dry and clean finish.

O:
Nothing eminent just locates itself among the line of other European lagers.

2.69/5  rDev -10%

Served at the bar out of tap, Barcelona Lager was prominent on the serving glass. Clear light yellow, no lacing, low carbonation. This bar just opened ~2 weeks ago. Was a clean hoppy beer not over powering hops. Did not smell anything. Mouth feel was very thin. Like the beer was water. On last few mouthfuls detected a slight butter taste in the ending.

I am not into hop beers so I might have been a bit biased.

Would not drink again.

Cheers

2.94/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Drank from the 1 liter brown glass screwcap bottle. Figured since there's the head additive in there anyway the appearance isn't going to matter much.

S: The bottle fizzed open as I unscrewed it, and out wafted a slightly skunky smell of old veggies and grain. Closer inspection reveals that this was not skunked, just an unfortunate first impression. Really it smells much like any other Euro pale lager.

T: Not too bad. Has a Budweisery "smoothness" to it. Grainy with a bit of sweet corn in there. Finishes somewhat bitter and then reverts to being balanced quickly. Tastes like a stereotypical "beer." Kind of grows on you a bit with time. I can see having many of these.

Overall This will do in a pinch if you're looking for something just kind of straightforward and not out of the box. Budweiser is probably cheaper and easier to obtain for a similar product. Not bad, but probably not worth the extra money and hassle for not much difference. Once was good enough.

2.08/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Boring beer, maybe will be better very cold at the beach in Spain.

3.14/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

330ml bottle, poured into Leffe chalice. 4.8%abv. Golden colour, clear, one finger head didn't hang around very long, not much lacing either. Aroma was paint and malt. Tasted a malt forward bitterness, slightly bready. The finish had a bit of sweetness. Crisp texture, light body, well carbonated. Overall it had a fairly basic taste, not bad for a hot day, but not that great.

3.06/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Clear, light golden appearance with thin amount of head.

Smell: Slight hints of apple or citrus on the nose, similar to that of a Corona.

Mouthfeel: Very light mouthfeel with a lot of bubbles.

Taste: Light on hops, slight fruity notes. Aftertaste is slightly bitter, but palatable.

Overall: I would drink this beer once in a while, but it wouldn't be in my regular rotation. Better for the hot summer months.

3.2/5  rDev +7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation - 330ml Brown glass bottle with freshness date on the neck.

A- Pale gold with a small head and no lacing.

S- Hops, some citrus, cereals.

T- hops, a bit malty some bitterness and hints of citrus.

M- dry, smooth

D- nothing special but drinkable.

2.52/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Clear pale golden color with an average to big foamy white head. The aroma is quite unpleasant with some herbal and grassy hoppy notes, stale maltiness, mild graininess, metal and soap. The flavor is mild, grassy, hoppy and perhaps a stale grain malt. Very watery or light and devoid of hop or malt aftertaste.

2.35/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Tasteless and quite boring. Drinkable though

2.61/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Had a 500 ml can that I purchased at the LCBO in a ESB Thumper pint. It was a golden straw color with a nice white creamy foam head that formed.
It had a sweet cereal and rice aroma with a faint grassy hop background.
It tasted like sweet cereals and a dominating vegetable taste from the rice and corn extract... not very impressive
It had good carbonation and was quite crisp and light- bodied
It was very deceiving since I had high hopes (I thought it was an all grain beer...) Still drinkable and refreshing but taste and aroma's are imparted by the corn and rice extract.

2.82/5  rDev -5.7%

Poured from a 33cl bottle.

A - Pale gold colour, little head.

S - Slight wheat and malt.

T - Pale lager flavour, touch of malt, wheat and honey.

M - A little too bitter to be pleasant.. not much happening.

D - Probably ok on a hot day in Barcelona, but very basic and with very little to keep the drinker interested. Just a notch above awful but barely scraping through as average.

2.94/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Two creamy fingers of white head rest on a very pale straw body, almost a wit colour, with excellent retention and chunky lacing to follow.

S - Corn and stale pils malt with a touch of yeast.

T - Quite pilsener like, crackers, lemon and a faint yeast flavour at the bottom.

M - Clean, medium body with decent carbonation.

O - Better than expected.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Estrella Damm 4.6% from Damm S. A.