Estrella Damm 4.6% - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm 4.6%Estrella Damm 4.6%

rAvg: 3
pDev: 19%
Damm S. A. visit their website
Spain

Euro Pale Lager |  4.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Faune on 07-26-2010)
Reviews by Tnkemist:

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

2.93/5  rDev -2.3%

I'm not sure why there is a separate entry for this 4.6% version, but as that's what I've got I guess I'll review it here.

A 330ml bottle with a BB of Sept 2012. The label mentions rice and maize in addition to malt, so it's loaded with adjuncts.

Poured into a straight pint glass. A clear pale gold colour with medium carbonation. Forms a nice head of creamy white foam that lasts for a minute or two before collapsing. Aroma of faint malt with undertones of corn and a vague sweetness. Weak.

Tastes of watery malt with a dry finish. Subtle hints of corn and stewed hops in the background. Slightly sweet. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and dry, but watery and insubstantial. Mildly astringent, with an aftertaste of faint malt.

Weak sauce. Bland and characterless. I suppose it would be OK on a hot day in Catalunya, but there are plenty of better beers. Nothing else to say really - give it a miss.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%

2.23/5  rDev -25.7%

Bottle served in Pilsner glass.

A - Pale gold color, little head. Diminishes rapidly.

S - Slight wheat and malt. Lemon esters?

T - Pale lager flavor, malt, wheat and honey. Fruity.

M - Light, high carbonation. Dry finish.

O-Not the biggest Lager fan, especially European Lagers, didn't really enjoy it.

3.5/5  rDev +16.7%

3/5  rDev 0%

Poured a can from the LCBO, two fingers of white head upon a straw colored body, decent retention leaving a nice 1cm collar of suds with some patchy lacing. Smell is grainy malt and corn, with some faint grassy hops and lemon. Taste follows the knows with some stale biscuit and faintly floral. Light body with plenty of carbonation this is a simple brew that is very drinkable and although there is little flavour there is definitely nothing offensive about it either. Little bitterness and somewhat dry. Not a brew I will buy again however I would not be offended on a hot day if I were offered one. Seems like a light pilsener rather than a euro trash pale lager.

3.75/5  rDev +25%

2.7/5  rDev -10%

ABV 4,6%

A beer included in a BEERS OF THE WORLD package that I bought recently, and by that I mean a month ago, and that's how long this bottle sits in the fridge. Time to crack it open.
A tall brown bottle with a short neck and the words "Barcelona" and "1876" engraved on the bottle. Nice bottle, different. Ingredients include rice and corn amongst the usual barley and hops, plus a E-405 stabilizer, for whatever reason. (Edit: after a short internet search I found out is used to make the foam look thicker and give it better retention too.)
Nice lager aroma as I opened the bottle. I poured it into a standard glass and it gave me a pale hay yellow colour, with two fingers of white, froathy head, that in the time I needed to put my bottle aside, had turned itno a half centimeter high strip of foam. Its texture now seems more soapy than froathy and the retention is also better. Imagine without the E-405 additive.
Aroma is typical of a lager, one that contains rice I mean. The corn smell is very faint and there is an old bread smell too. Nothing too bad though.
On the taste it's not anything special, sort of sweet from the malts and the rice, with the aftertaste being neutral. Reminded me a lot of the Budweiser that I had recently, too many adjuncts to get a clear taste.
Very thin on the body and an average amount of carbonation.
Overall, as with the Budweiser, it didn't make me jump off my seat, but I can see myself drinking it in quantities, on a very hot summer day, as I suppose the spanish ones are. Great thirst quencher.

4.5/5  rDev +50%

3.13/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

500 mL single can picked up with a few other randoms. At first I thought I was reviewing the regular Estrella Damm but the 4.6% ABV rating leads me to believe that this is the proper place to put the review. This pours a yellow-golden colour, producing about two fingers of head. Within a minute, the head is mostly gone, although some lacing remains on the surface. Smell is of citrus, but nondescript otherwise.

Hops and malts are both there, but they're faint and completely dominated by the carbonation. A bit of citrus and corn with some pale malt sweetness. Clean finish with a twinge of bitterness. Carbonation is moderately high, but typical of the style. If nothing else, this is a refreshing beer.

I like it, but I doubt I will get it again - there's nothing particularly outstanding about it, and there are other better euro lagers readily available in most stores.

[Updated Nov. 2 2013]

Revisiting this one a few years later with another 500 mL can. This is a decent Euro-style lager, but it has no distinguishing features whatsoever - I'd take this over Heineken, but that's not really much of an achievement. Very forgettable, but it'll get the job done if you just want something fizzy and yellow to wash down some salty snacks.

Final Grade: 3.13, a C+.

Estrella Damm 4.6% from Damm S. A.