Estrella Damm Daura - Damm S. A.

Estrella Damm DauraEstrella Damm Daura

Damm S. A. visit their website
Spain

Euro Pale Lager |  5.40% ABV

Gluten-free (less than 6 ppm), but made using barley malt!

(Beer added by: Rayek on 08-28-2010)

wschock, Dec 15, 2013

dhannes, Jul 13, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +40.2%

Josievan, Feb 25, 2013
4.48/5  rDev +39.6%

Estrella Damm Daura has a medium-to-thick, soapy, white head and a clear, bubbly, golden appearance. There is not much lacing left on the glass, though. The aroma is of sweet, pale lager (malt, bread, sugar), and the flavor is the same, with maybe some sugary corn syrup and a touch of hops. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and Estrella Damm Daura finishes crisp, clean refreshing, dry, and highly drinkable. Overall, I was quite surprised with how well they pulled this off. I think it’s excellent!

RJT

RonaldTheriot, Dec 06, 2012
4.46/5  rDev +38.9%

this is the best tasting gulten beer i have ever had taste more of a apa like a heny weinhard but i love it a good beer good beer color so if you neeed a gulten beer drink this and even if you dont drink this you wont be disappionted this beer makes me happy so enjoy

wac9, Oct 14, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

Adestria, Aug 13, 2014
4.24/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a clear blonde to golden color with a thick rich slow settling head that leaves significant lacing down the glass.

The nose is peppery and spicy with a strong maltiness and hints of fruit like apples and white grapes.

The flavor is bold with a nicely if not a tad off balanced malt to hop taste. The hops definitely dominate. The malt is strong and fruity but the hops are stronger and dominate. this one is off balanced but it works well.

The mouthfeel is a tad watery for my personal taste. But does not take away for the overall in my opinion.

Overall this ins very drinkable and enjoyable lager. Much better than my expectations based on some other review. I would really like to drink this one again.

AtrumAnimus, Oct 31, 2013

Bear1964, Aug 02, 2014

UncleJimbo, Nov 14, 2011

JDrebel, Jul 12, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Pint glass. Light straw color with a finger of head. Fair amount of bubbles visible. Looks nice.
Smells of honey, little spice and slight metallic. It smells better than most other beers in this style.
Pretty tasty too. Honey, mild bitter hops with some dryness to them, a malty sweetness to close it out. It has the slightest metallic taste in the background.
Crisp and light body with moderate carbonation.
Surprise to me. I'm enjoying this beer. By far the best Euro pale lager I've had.

Fatehunter, Oct 01, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Preface: I have a gluten allergy/intolerance (delayed skin reaction,) but thankfully not celiac. I have drank [many bottles of] many of the best-rated, highly-coveted beers of the world (my personal favorites: Trappistes Rochefort 10, St. Bernardus 12.) I have also had several different gluten free beers. I don't drink North American domestics. I'm not a novice lol.

For a gluten free beer, Estrella Damm Daura is good. It's my favorite of all the gluten free beers I have tried. While it is a basic, generic style lager, it actually tastes like beer (as opposed to many gluten free beers made with rice, most having a rice wine-ish aftertaste.) For a beer aficionado who has no problems with gluten, this beer is going to be mediocre. For a person who has no other choice, it's good.

Pros: Tastes like beer.

Cons: Simple; Expensive.

jessejamesorez, Sep 11, 2012
3.78/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I'm trying one of my wife's beers, who has been gluten free for almost six months, and this is easily the most akin to a regular brew. Clear gold, with a thin white head and good lacing. Nice crisp pils malt, zippy carbonation and a surprisingly bold saaz finish. Clean and satisfying. Truthfully, I don't think I'd be able to tell the difference between this and a standard continental lager, tasting blindly. Very similar to Warsteiner, in my opinion. If I were gluten free and wishing for "real" beer flavor, this is hands down the most authentic, gluten free brew I can find for my wife, in one of the best beer towns in the US. We've tried just about everything available since she removed gluten from her diet and this is the best by far, in terms of an authentic beer taste. Now if only this magical, gluten removing process were applied to an IPA, Lambic, or another of her favorite styles. Until then, this will do just fine.

UnionMade, Oct 12, 2011

KevinGordon, May 13, 2014

Kopfmeister60, Sep 21, 2012
3.75/5  rDev +16.8%

A: Clear, golden-yellow; very thick, frothy white head with good retention and decent lacing.

S: Typical lager, with grain foremost and hops supporting.

T: Medium-sweet malt. Not much complexity of flavors. The hops added a little bitterness and spice, actually a pretty good balance.

M: Crisp and dry (slightly astringent).

O: I'd never had a gluten-free beer, so I gave this one a try to find out how it stacked up. It wasn't outstanding, but it would be perfectly acceptable if I couldn't consume gluten. Actually, it was reminiscent of a slightly-sweet Stella Artois. I'll certainly recommend it to celiac-disease friends who like beer.

TappaKeggaBrew, Jan 28, 2012

AlpacaAlpaca, Oct 13, 2014

C63AMG, Apr 02, 2012
Estrella Damm Daura from Damm S. A.