Saxer's Lemon Lager - Saxer Brewing Company / Nor'Wester Beer Company

Saxer's Lemon LagerSaxer's Lemon Lager

poor

Saxer Brewing Company / Nor'Wester Beer Company visit their website
Oregon, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-13-2003)
Reviews by beerguy101:
beerguy101

3.1/5  rDev +49.8%

Light gold color, medium head, with a citrus aroma. A Very lemony flavor, slightly sweet, a little hoppyness, not much maltyness. Most of the taste is in the lemon. Not very beer-like, yet is tasty, light and refreshing. Mouthfeel is lemony and full. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is lemony. A refreshing summer drink, more of a cider than a beer.

09-21-2003 02:37:19 | More by beerguy101
NeroFiddled

3.38/5  rDev +63.3%

Saxer Lamon lager is clearly aimed at the malternative market as it delivers the same lightly sweet and just slightly sour bright lemon flavor that is so common to malternatives. It pours a crystal clear, light gold body beneath a big-bubbled head of bright white froth. The head retention is very good, and it leaves wide rings of thin, craggy lace at the outset of the glass. The nose delivers a mild maltiness and some lemon rind, but it's not particularily bright or inviting. The body is light and it's got a restrained level of carbonation that also mimics many of the malternatives out there. The flavor is, as I've suggested, quite similar to a malternative; and no particularily "beer" oriented flavors are present. On a hot day I'd gladly throw one of these refreshing beauties back before having something with a little bit of bitterness and hop flavor to it, but other than that I'll seek out Saxer's other brands. (Note: I'm not sure that this is even the same Saxer Lemon Lager that I've had in the past. I seem to remember it being more beer-like before. I'm not even sure this can be called beer).

08-22-2004 14:31:00 | More by NeroFiddled
bditty187

Nebraska

1.25/5  rDev -39.6%

Opened mind. Opened bottle. Then poured.

Clear, pale yellow in hue. It is very sickly to look at. The head was white in color; the bubbles were loud and active. Oddly though, the foam didn’t look natural – at all. It fizzled and sizzled like some acidic reaction, the foam quickly fizzed away to a soapy cap. There was no animation. The appearance was a tale of two entities, the liquid is dead and the head is berserk. Odd. Not pleasant to look at. Subsequent lacing was patchy but not common at all. The nose is lemony. Not citrusy but just like a piece of lemon candy. Aside from that the nose is empty. Clean. Not inviting! There is a “presence” I just don’t like, first of all a stand-alone lemon is not pleasant. Airy. No depth. Frankly, I am scared to take a sip. But I will for the sake of BAs everywhere. First sip… “Are you kidding me?” That is what I said the moment I swallowed this… beer? My God this is foul. The palate is lemony, as the nose indicated, so that was to be expected but there is an awful Zima-like quality to it. I remember drinking a Zima sometime in the late nineties. The memory had haunted me but I though I had suppressed it, you know years of therapy and all. But it came flooding back! One sip of this “beer” has caused flashbacks! Unbelievably awful tasting. In some regards this beer tastes worse than Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer. Sweetness is butchered by some foul grainy qualities. What is going? Gross from start to finish. I cannot drink any more. Medium-light in body with almost no carbonation, the mouthfeel is very slick and not pleasant. Not drinkable at all, under no circumstances could I find a reason to drink this again. Avoid at all costs. I purchased one 12-ounce clear bottle in West Des Moines for $1.30 just because I’ve never had a beer from Saxer before. It was a big mistake buying this one. Seriously, avoid it.

10-18-2004 20:55:32 | More by bditty187
bashiba

Iowa

This Beer pours a nice golden yellow with a quick white head that almost completely disappears in an instant.

The scent is the best thing about this beer with the strong fresh lemon and citrus smells mixing in the some minor hop odor.

The taste is non to good however. With an almost sweet lemon flavor overpowering all of the traditional beer flavors. It seems closer to Saxer Lemonade Lager. Very unbeerlike in Taste and Mouthfeel as it is also very watery and slick. Steer clear of this dud.

10-10-2004 02:13:03 | More by bashiba
StevieW

2.6/5  rDev +25.6%

Free Sample. 12 oz. clear bottle. Light fizzy yellow color, faint white rocky head. Odd combination of smells. Lots of grain, bready, and lemonade. Taste is sugary, lots of mown grass, with crushed lemons. Highly carbonated, bubbled lemonade, and lots of lemon flavor to finish, where hops usually are. Light to medium bodied. Easy enough to drink but not very enjoyable.

01-11-2004 00:19:48 | More by StevieW
Pegasus

1.63/5  rDev -21.3%

Appearance: Crystal-clear medium golden color with massive streams of fine carbonation and a thick white head with excellent lacing. The head retention is quite good.

Aroma: Pronounced sweet and tart lemon aroma with underlying malt as is typical for a lager and lime.

Taste: Aggressively sweet lemony flavor, with a fairly strong alcohol note. The malt flavors are buried beneath the sweet and sour lemon flavors. Very much like Doc Otis Hard Lemon or similar malternatives. Too sweet to be refreshing, at least for my taste. Other than the appearance, there are no beer characteristics that I can discern.

Mouth feel: Smooth, not unpleasant, unremarkable.

Drinkability/notes: If this is intended to be a lager and lime, it misses the mark, in my opinion - it’s more like lemon soda with a shot of EverClear. Any macro lager, such as Miller or Busch with a shot of Rose's Lime Extract would be better than this. Save your money.

05-04-2003 19:14:59 | More by Pegasus
jcalabre

I originally offended my mouth with this poor excuse for a beer on 19 June 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
I was hoping for a beer, but instead, got a wine cooler. I have absolutely positive to say about this crap. This was a drain pour.

08-31-2003 00:27:33 | More by jcalabre
AtLagerHeads

1.15/5  rDev -44.4%

Let's see, be constructive. OK. Despite the clear bottle it didn't skunk, in fact, it barely smelled at all. What little smell was there didn't even impress me of lemon, or even citrus, or anything. Poured a beautiful clear gold to light amber color with a wisp of instantly disappearing head. Insignificant lacing, but I was shocked to find even that.

I didn't puke when I tasted it, but I did wince. I don't know if I've ever given a 1 on taste, but this is deserving. I have no idea what the brewmaster was thinking. Soda pop has some character, but I can't find any here. No beer taste, maybe a very diluted citrus sense, sweetness on the tongue and lips. Lingering sugary aftertaste. Slightly smooth mouthfeel and less watery than expected. Keep something handy to wash away the taste. Waste of time. Waste of calories. Finished the glass; can't imagine why I did.

03-19-2003 16:22:25 | More by AtLagerHeads
beernut7

1.5/5  rDev -27.5%

I picked this one up on a whim. I should have known better than to trust a clear bottled beer. The thin champagne color hinted at a light flavor. A malty heavy lemon aroma wafted from a think pure white head. A heavy sharp lemon initial taste is quickly followed by a sickeningly sweet malt that became so offensive that I passed over the remaining liquid in favor of a more appealing Coors. I really like the Saxer bocks, but this brew is for the birds.

05-19-2003 21:21:37 | More by beernut7
sprackops

3.13/5  rDev +51.2%

Presentation: Attractive label depicting a pair of lemons with a sprawling lemon orchard in the background. The label says "Handcrafted beer - natural lemon flavor added." Clear bottle and no freshness date. Uh-oh. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Crystal clear and bright yellow with very high carbonation. Resembles sparkling lemonade and a certain popular malternative.

Smell: If this wasn't called a lager I would think I just took a big whiff of aforementioned malternative. No detectable hops nor skunking present.

Taste: The first sip was surprising. Lemon flavoring is dominant as expected, however it's actually quite pleasant. Sweet but not overtly cloying, with a hint of hop character toward the finish which in my opinion anchors this strange fruit brew firmly in the craft brew category despite my expectations of heartless alcopop.

Mouthfeel: Watery with prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Though I only had a single bottle, I'm sure I could easily drink quite a few in the summer, and -GASP- enjoy them.

Comments: While it's easy to dismiss certain fruit beers, particularly this one, as treading the line between real beer and malt beverages, I believe they should be given a fair shake. While this is a far cry from Cantillon Kriek, it's not bad for what it is.

01-18-2005 07:05:58 | More by sprackops
blitheringidiot

1.25/5  rDev -39.6%

Saxer didn't even bother to list this effluvium on their website! Lemon Lager? Maybe apropos in the title because if you actually pay for this, you bought a Lemon, alright. This was an insult to the glass into which it was poured. 12 oz clear bottle into a pilsner glass. This is light pee-yellow clear with sporadic bubbles. I can’t even take up a lot of typing time to write this. The problem with this “lager?” is that it has a flavor and aftertaste like bad candy that old ladies give out on Halloween. Sticky yucky finish. Lots of carbonation, but, what is the point? This tastes like that fake Champagne stuff that mom gave us on New Year’s Eve when we were like 12. There is no beer, lager, malt, hops to this.

Last swigs: My lowest review ever! My only "1" in the ole kisser category. I can’t think of anybody who would like Saxer Lemon Lager. It makes Corona taste like SNPA. Good thing I came across this is a mixed sampler that included Anchor, Dock Street, and Victory. Eww! OK…took one for the BA team here folks. Sorry Saxer, but I will try their other beers any day of the week, to be open and fair. BTW, this review is from a 'PBR in a can' drinker when payday is a few beers away.

Beer is (usually) good. Happy beering.

03-30-2004 03:55:11 | More by blitheringidiot
Jarod

1.78/5  rDev -14%

This beer poured into the glass a pale yellow color, one cold see why it is called lemon lager. No head or lace present. The aroma was of faint lemons and malt. The taste was weak and mild. It was simply lemon and slight malt. Very watery and not all that great of an experience. Hard to finish the glass of beer and even harder to pay for the glass of beer.

01-13-2003 13:31:31 | More by Jarod
shelby415

Oregon

2.5/5  rDev +20.8%

02-29-2012 08:06:11 | More by shelby415
BeerAngel

2.23/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer pours almost crystal clear with a yellow tint and had a soda-like head that shrunk rapidly into a very light broken layer. Aroma is a lemon twang with a grassy grain smell. The taste is a very watered down lemonade and light lager malt somewhere hiding behind the sweetness and no hops to speak of. Eww, strange! This brew is very light bodied and finishes sticky sweet.

Notes: This is one weird bear! I would imagine a beer like this would appeal to the malternative crowd as it's almost Zima-like. Cheers anyways!

04-02-2004 04:09:22 | More by BeerAngel
ark57

1.53/5  rDev -26.1%

There are few redeeming qualitites of this beer. It sort of looks like beer. It is a pale yellow with a bright white head. The aroma has a strong citrus smell, but it does not smell like the type of cirtus aroma I am accustomed to in beer; this one seems more articficial. It sort of tastes like lemon soda that is unsweetened. There is no body and it finishes with a slight bitter lemon rind taste that trails into nothingness. I guess they are trying to bridge the gap between malternative beverage and beer, but instead they should have put up a roadblock.

03-10-2004 17:12:17 | More by ark57
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

1.7/5  rDev -17.9%

Mike's Hard with more malt? This is more a lemon cooler than beer. Anyways, clear bottle that wasn't skunked when poured. Poured a very pale, clear yellow with a less than decent head that did last. Smelled, hmm, citrusy? Citrus fruit, citrus hops(?), and some more sweet smell, either malt or sugar. Tasted sweet and tart. If this were a cooler, I wouldn't mind it. But this is supposed to be beer, not a cooler. It was disapointing. Maybe they should get rid of the malt and replace it with vodka. Make one of those yuppie drinks. Its barely drinkable. Too much citrus. It's like sucking on a salted lemon.

06-25-2003 20:58:45 | More by slitherySOB
RoryOMoore

11-22-2011 00:41:07 | More by RoryOMoore
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

1.58/5  rDev -23.7%

This comes in a (what I assume to be new) bottle that differs from the photo at right. The new bottle is clear which 'shows off' the clear, extremely light color of this beer. Much lighter than Corona and may approach the color of Michelob Ultra (which I've never had the displeasure to have, so how would I know?) Anyway, this is lighter than straw-yellow, why don't I call it "well-hydrated urine" yellow. The head is shockingly white and looks a little like cotton candy. I'll give it some credit since it isn't overly soft/whimpy looking and doesn't fall to nothingness within the first minute.

Interesting nose, though not a good one. Smells like a lemon malternative, certainly doesn't resemble beer. The taste is pretty awful. Tastes, again, like a poorly made malternative, though that's probably a redundancy. It tastes more like beer than those beverages, but strangely enough, it tastes like the brewers added fake 'beer taste' to it. There's also an artificial lemon flavor, but it's overpowered by the sour (yet sweet), disgusting, fake beery flavor. Needless to say, the body is not impressive--light, lighter, lightest.

It seems to me that a "lemon lager", if done right, could be a decent summertime brew. It would have to have a solid lager base and the lemoniness could be done with the right choice of hop/hops. This doesn't even come close to such a beer. In fact, calling this beer is stretching it. Don't go near this one.

06-04-2004 23:00:33 | More by BuckeyeNation