California Sunshine Rye IPA - Devil's Canyon Brewing Company

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 92 | Reviews: 34
Reviews by HalfFull:
2.64/5  rDev -21.2%

Bought on a whim as I'm unfamiliar withe the brewery and this was a first sighting, so let's give it a go. I pour a bomber into a large wine glass, showing a light to moderate amber in color. A half inch of foam offers decent retention and stickiness but this pour is a bit dark.

Nose is of light caramel roast with a minimal hop presence. Toasted bread comes to mind. Some hop notes do emerge with warming, dank and deep.

Offers a creamy carbonation and decent flavor though a bit thick and viscous for the style. A decent hit of caramel malt is noteable and a bit chalky at times. I should have known that Belmont was in the Caramel Zone as for NoCal IPA's, Pleasant yet a bit too Red/Amber/Caramel for an IPA from a SoCal perspective. When will I learn.

Overall average and limited by an excessive Caramel influence. If the first thing I smell when I pour an IPA is malts then is it really an IPA?

1.22/5  rDev -63.6%

Poured out looking like a normal ipa, amber and copper colored, a bit more of foam/head coming out of the bottle, didn't think anything of it because it poured ok. And then, it hit me, whoa, this aroma is downright disgusting. . . infection, highly likely. Smell of infected garbage. Forget hops, malt, pine, grapefruit, just go stick your head in the neighbor's garbage with their kid's spoiled shitty diapers in it.

Taste, ugh, off unintentional sour musty and soggy aspects to the taste. Tried to drink it all, we just couldn't, had to add it to the grill on the corn n brats we were having while watching the 1000th episode of Raw last night (Doink & Slick in the first hour = awesome).

Would I try it again, sure, since it was only $4 a bottle, but damn, this was a disappointing bottle, but it had had had to be infected.

2.34/5  rDev -30.1%

I'll admit to my disappointment here. I took a chance and had high hopes, however this barely ekes out a 2.5 out of 5. I love the canning movement for quality beers, I really do, but this time the can bleeds into the beer itself. Which can be an addition, a relaxing revelation of normalcy, when you're drinking a Budweiser tallboy on a hot summer day, on the front porch of the 5 bedroom flat you share with 5 other broke-ass kids in some nameless, shapeless city, but when you're dropping $12 on a 4 pack and sharing a small apartment with your wife and kid, well, let's just say that the metallic bite bites. On the plus side, this beer contains alcohol, which is really the point. I wont even get into it past that as it's just not worth our time.

3.55/5  rDev +6%

16oz can, a new offering, from the Golden State to the, er, currently white Province of Alberta.

This beer pours a clear, bright bronzed amber hue, with two fingers of bubbly, tightly foamy pale beige head, which leaves some nice multi-tiered limestone cliff lace around the glass as it steadily sinks away.

It smells of bittersweet, muddled tropical fruit, a bit more pedestrian orange and grapefruit flesh, robustly grainy rye bread, further herbal, floral hops, and a whiff of acrid alcohol. The taste is more somewhat bitter grapefruit, musty orange, a bit of pine tips, some caramel-tinged bready malt, the rye quite hard to discern at this juncture, a bit of untethered meaty essence, a few nips of metallic booze, and loitering weedy, herbal hops.

The bubbles are a tad sassy, but play nice at the same rate, the body a wavering medium weight, a wee bit pithy, and starting offer smooth. It finishes off-dry, the fruitiness still well in play, the malt still mostly caramel and German bread oriented, and the bitterness trying in vain to reach for that top shelf.

An agreeable enough IPA, overall, however, the rye base causes confusion, more than anything, as the spicy, earthy character one might expect from employment of this grain actually manifests in a kludgy mishmash of malt flavours. This calls into question the performance of the hops, by unfair association, but they are quite beyond reproach, even if the malt unfortunately masks this way too often. Worth a try, but I don't think I'll be hitting this one up again.

3.6/5  rDev +7.5%

poured a dark amber/light brown from the 22 oz bottle into my pint glass. there was an opacity to the beer which i was not expecting. big head that left sticky lacing across the sides of the glass. smell is quite bready, with sweet grain qualities leading the charge, and only hints of piney hops. doesn't remind me of west coast ipas in taste, though it isn't unpleasant the drink. more of an east coast/english style i think; the alleged 85 ibus are hidden behind the initial malt body, but there is some drying bitterness on the finish.

3.3/5  rDev -1.5%

On tap at Alice's Restaurant in Woodside.

Pours a clear reddish-amber color with a small whitish head and some lacing.

Aroma is not too pronounced, with bready malt, caramel, rye, and somewhat restrained citrusy hops.

Flavor is bready malt, caramel, and rye. The description calls this beer a pale ale, but there's IPA in the name, which begs the question: where are the hops? This really is not bad, but it's not an IPA. I'd call it a rye pale ale, and it's a bit like a homebrew, fairly rough around the edges.

Medium-light body with average carbonation.

Drinkable at least, but pretty average overall. As the top rater of Devil's Canyon and therefore the world's supreme authority on their beers, I continue to describe them as "meh."

3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

A - slightly hazy copper, two fingers of creamy light tan head, solid retention
S - fairly strong spicy rye grain, some earthy and butter biscuit undertones
T - much like the nose with the rye really taking over, some resin, light toffee, mild biscuit malt
M - slightly meatier than medium body, prominent rye peppery spice kick, solid bitter finish
O - the rye-based IPA is a style that i've seen more and more recently and its starting to grow on me, this is fairly in your face yet a relatively easy drinking 7.1%

3.79/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a cloudy orange/golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is of tropical fruits, some hops. Taste is well balanced malts and hops, some rye, a touch of fruits, pretty tasty. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is a solid beer.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours copper with a large head.
Nose shows grassy, piny hops along with faint apple characters. Some spicy rye too.
Pretty aggressive flavours. Lots of grapefruit and pine but little else to liven things ups. Not much malt, but some toasty, spicy rye. Sharp metallic finish.
Too much carbonation.

3.53/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fresh tallboy into a glass.

Appearance: Clear copper body topped by a voluminous, lasting head. So far so good.

Smell: Surprisingly decent hop aroma, citrusy and leafy, a little tobacco. Rye is plenty noticeable, contributing deep earthy notes. Bready notes pop out as it warms, along with a hint of caramel malt.

Palate: Earthy rye and big hop bitterness with herbal and tobacco flavors. A dash of grapefruit-like citrus lends some balance to an otherwise earthy IPA. The flavors all work pretty well together, though it's not my favorite take on the style. The mid-palate reveals a sturdy maltiness, bready and slightly caramelized, though not overly sweet.

Overall: Solid stuff. I tend to prefer hop profiles that lean toward pine or fruit flavors, but this is a good Sierra Nevada-esque earthy/herbal IPA.

3.34/5  rDev -0.3%

Beer notes from 7/19/12; had this on tap in Burlingame, CA: pours crystal clear gold color with a creamy 1 finger tan head that faded slowly and left a layer on top and incredible lacing coating the sides and rings as it went down - a damn good looking beer.

Smells of grapefruit, citrus hops, caramel, herbs, biscuit, floral hops, sweet malt and light grains; very soft aroma for an IPA that's just as malty as it is hoppy and well balanced.

Tastes like it smells, with grapefruit, citrus hops, lemon zest, caramel, herbs, piney hops, biscuit, floral hops, sweet malt, buttery cracker and light grains; initial hop taste fades and let's the malts come through and lead you to the slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth, with very mild carbonation, a medium body and a slightly bitter finish. Nice middle of the road IPA that's highly drinkable. No real rye flavor to note, seems to be only active in the name.

3.25/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tasted from a 1 pt. 6 oz. bottle on April 25, 2015.

4.37/5  rDev +30.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In the cold snow of Korea, the I was smitten for the smiling Sun on the bottle of this particular brew, from the Sunny shores of California. I decided then, on a Wednesday morning (happy hour in California) to go ahead and warm up my day, with this aptly named California Sunshine IPA.

Poured out of the deuce-deuce, much to my chagrin, the foam was superfluous, probably due to the international travel stress on the bottle. However, one of my new year's resolutions for 2013, is to practice patience and feel the joy that it brings, so with that, I let the beer settle nicely before moving on to smell, taste, and mouthfeel tests.

The smell went to validate my choice, with hearty notes of Rye breaking though the cloud of foam, while at the same time, leaving enough behind to trace the taste of the beer as well. It settled nicely onto the palate, dancing along the ridgeline of the taste buds, before working its magic, streaming to other arenas of the head, namely the mind.

I would be amiss if I did not say that I was impressed with this beer. Initially taken in by appearance (a fool's choice, usually), I became skeptical when I encountered the foam situation. Careful though to not place blame, and to welcome patience, in the end, I came away more than satisfied with what was delivered. My day was turned around, supplying hope that here in Korea, the Sun will soon enough, bestow its warmth through other means than a delicious IPA...

4.57/5  rDev +36.4%

The CANQuest (TM) would like to thank the Friendly Greek in Lancaster, PA for making this and a couple of other Devil's CANyon CANs available to me recently.

From the CAN: I have to agree with DoubleJ that the sun on the label looks satiated. "We weren't trying to be revolutionary in 2002, we just wanted to brew an interesting beer style using extra ingredients we had on hand. The resulting contribution to craft beer's renaissance was this rye-centric India Pale Ale. At 85 IBUs, California Sunshine Rye IPA is exceptionally well-balanced with assertive hop bitterness, a toasty, bready malt mouth-feel, and a grassy, dry finish. Enjoy our uniquely original re-imagining of a traditional English style IPA while pondering the craft beer polymath you surely are."

I am getting MUCH better at executing the Crack, but the Glug is suddenly eluding me! I chalk it up to atmospheric CANditions as it is overcast breezy, slightly humid and not really in keeping with this time of year. What a beautiful two fingers of head resulted from my efforts - rocky, tawny, great retention and dense as all get-out! I signed my name in it with my finger. It looked like tawny meringue. Color was a deep-amber with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to once again peer into my future. I will be in Lincoln, NE on 28 February 2015 to co-celebrate my 50th birthday with Val MidWest, who will be celebrating her 21st and ma Petite Abeille (Old Lady) will be joining us. Nose had a characteristic rye black pepperiness and I began salivating uncontrollably. A brewer at Philly Beer Week imparted that they have tried a 40% rye grain bill IPA and that the sparge takes most of the day to drain. Ha! I would love to be a part of that debacle. if Sopor is still on this site, I remember him telling me, in 2006, that he was going to brew an all-rye IPA as his last batch on his original homebrew system and then put the whole thing out on the curb on trash day. Double Ha! Mouthfeel was silky smooth, enveloping my tongue with the softest of touches, and the flavor was Goldilocks/Baby Bear-perfect for an AIPA. Not too bitter, not too malty, but just right with the rye bringing a black pepper bite to the equation. Oh my. Finish was dry, but more peppery dry than hoppy bitter dry. I want MORE of this! Where is Belmont in Cali?

2.51/5  rDev -25.1%

Pours a light and hazy gold color with a small white head.

Aromas are odd, light funk (infection?) that isn't overpowering, but it's there. Some light citrus and floral hoppiness, but it's hard to find.

Taste doesn't show the possible infection as much as the nose did. Lightly sweet, slight butter flavors, with a crisp and faintly bitter hop finish. All in all, the taste of this beer is really light with not much going on. Doesn't taste bad, but doesn't taste like much of anything.

Mouthfeel is light, but too light, definitely feels watered down.

While this beer wasn't a complete train wreck (I finished my half of the bottle), it certainly wasn't very good either. Boring, with not much flavor at all.

3.1/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Attractive orange amber, the usual IPA color. Nice whte cap. Reasonable carbonated and the mouthfeel is sort of slick as well as light.

One oddity is that this has the strongest biscuit taste I think I've ever encountered in a beer. I like that feature, anyway, which adds more flavor to the stew. Normally that would be a malt flavor. The hops are plenty intense. More bitterness from the rye, along with some perfume. After some initial pleasantries it gets to be just too bitter. Nice for a few sips, but undrinkable.

From the 22 oz bottle bought at Best Damn in San Diego. First I have ever seen of this brewery.

3.74/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Appearance slightly hazy orange color 3 fingers of yellowish white fine foam. lacing and the foam lingers and turns into a fluffy pillow for the whole experience.

Aroma- citrus, almond, pepper, and melon

Taste- some carb bite at the beginning, peppery and woody on the front from the rye. It gives way to a toasty grain, like whole grain bread. and a lingering piney finish. It can come off a bit plastic-y but I am assuming that is a rye thing as well.

Mouthfeel- a little too fizzy but I like the head on this one. hops linger on the palette and it has what I would describe as a medium body.

Overall- I was in Half Moon Bay, CA and someone suggested I check this place out. It was closed and so I was stoked when I found a bottle at the local shop. I would definitely suggest this one if I had a friend into IPA's and Rye. Personally I like Rye in beer. Maybe not IPA's I think that the Rye and the extra hop bitterness can get out of balance quickly. I definitely like rye as a distilled spirit. But that is something else entirely. This beer straddles the line. That being said I would order another !

3.89/5  rDev +16.1%

Bright, golden body, like it's namesake. Thick, yellow tinged head fills the glass and slowly falls, leaving a patchy cover. Not much lacing.

Biscuit malts with some caramel. Spicy rye and cereal grains. Some floral hops. Lemon grass. The rye really dominates the nose.

Toasted biscuit malts, with a burnt caramel sweetness. Great rye profile, grainy, spicy and creamy. Dry, grassy hops, with some fruit sweetness. Slight alcohol burn on the finish.

You could claim that this is more of a pale ale than an IPA, but I don't care, because the rye flavors are fantastic, and really make this beer for me. I'm a sucker for rye, so this was right up my alley.

3.2/5  rDev -4.5%

On tap at Tony's Darts Away in Burbank, CA.

Pours a hazy orange with a foamy khaki bone colored that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, rye, citrus zest, and alcohol. Taste is much the same with a slight herbal hop flavor on the finish. There is a fairly high hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp and medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty average beer with a pretty good smell but the flavors don't meld together all that well.

3.71/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

473ml can poured into tulip 7/1/13

A hazed dark amber with enough clarity to see lots of suspended particles and a few bubbles, I know there's some bubbles hiding in there somewhere because there's a solid thumbs width of cream colored foam that retains very well leaving some random lace

S orange creamsicle with some grapefruit rind, lots of bread and biscuit with some soft caramel, I expected more of a hop kick at 85 IBU's I suppose balance can be a good thing

T now I'm picking up the rye malt, spicy notes work well and there's some pine hiding in there too, still a fair amount of malt and more rind

M the bitterness is there with a little kick, quite creamy in the mouth with a spicy citrus rind finish, pretty solid in this department

O decent brew but there's room for improvement, I like RyePA's but this one could use a stronger hop profile

I think a few tweaks and they would have something great, their on the right track and I'm looking forward to trying some more brews from these guys

2.71/5  rDev -19.1%

Ouch! What the hell is this stuff? Tangy and somewhat sweet with some unusual bitter tones mixed in as well. An IPA? I thinks not. A mess of a brew? Unfortunately, yes. Nowhere near where it should be for the style, though thankfully it is still drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -3%

Devil's Canyon, from a can. The sun on its label looks like it has had enough beer for the day, so this must be good. 16 ounce can on hand, and once again, on to the beer:

A little murky inside. Its color is murky orange and on the verge of becoming light brown. A small head forms on top, droppng to a lace shortly after the pour. Not much to say about that. You can say that again; despite its 85 IBU claim, I'm not getting a lot of hop love. It smells like tree sap, veggies, and a kiss of raw pine.

Well, its taste does have some resemblance of an IPA. It's woodsy, resiny, grassy, with a touch of orange. There is a good hit of bitterness coming out of the beer, which becomes noticed about midway through each sip. The beer is medium bodied with smooth carbanation, which helps this beer make up some lost ground.

The IPA field is a competitive one. On its own, Sunshine IPA is an okay choice. Compared with the style, there are many better ones out there.

3.06/5  rDev -8.7%

Bomber purchased from Whole Foods in Los Altos.

Pours a golden hue, with a touch of burnished orange through the centre. Head is filmy, but fine, and forms some flimsy lace in nice patterns. Good weight to the body, and a pleasant fine bead. Looks pretty decent.

Nose is slightly nutty and a little organic. Some vegetative, slightly herbal notes come through, but they're the only suggestion of the hops—really, it smells a little bit like an English brown. The malt is certainly stronger than I expected.

Taste is a little empty, with not a lot of hop flavour. Instead, the malt is strong throughout, and the hops only bring a little bitterness on the finish. Even this is coupled with the nutty darker malt characters, (perhaps the rye, although it doesn't have the spiciness I expect from rye), leaving the beer feeling a little off style and not particularly exciting. Feel is a bit thin.

Overall, pretty average. Even if it were stylistically correct, there's something a little unbalanced and unappealing about it. Not a fan—for once, the rye really does an IPA some damage. But maybe it's just not a good beer to begin with.

4.05/5  rDev +20.9%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a brandy snifter. New bottles hit the store yesterday, but I bought this the day before, so probably last year's vintage.

A: Just cloudy enough to perhaps be unfiltered, but still a mostly clear amber. An attractive beer, with about a finger of not-quite-white head. Great lacing.

S: It smells nice, with rollicking, familiar hops leading the way. Centennial perhaps? So it seems. A heavy fruitiness is mostly graprefruit, but also something a bit more tropical.

T: It's not going to win Best in Show, but this is a mighty fine IPA. Drinkable, complex, and layered. A bit heavy at times, which I like, with a firm malt foundation from which to build. The topnotes are rich fruit, and the main flavour is bitter resin and biscuity malt. Rye isn't obvious, but the aftertaste is indicatively drying. The carbonation is spot-on and helps the flavours shine.

O: I thoroughly enjoyed drinking this beer. I really like IPAs, which might be skewing my judgment, but I would drink several of these in a row, and will definitely be buying again. Recommended, if not highly.

Notes: "We were not trying to be revolutionary in 2002; we just wanted to brew an interesting beer style using extra ingredients we had on hand. The resulting contribution to craft beer's renaissance was this paradigm shifting style of a rye-centric India Pale Ale. At 85 IBUs, California Sunshine Rye IPA is exceptionally well balanced with assertive hop bitterness, a toasty and bready malt mouth-feel, and a grassy, dry finish. Enjoy our uniquely original re-imagining of a traditional unfiltered English style IPA while pondering being the craft beer polymath you surely are. "
ABV: 7.1%
IBU: 85
Hops: Centennial, Nugget, Northern Brewer
Malts: North American 2-Row, Rye Malt, Biscuit Malt, Caramel Malt

3.98/5  rDev +18.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Great looking head; creamy, almond milk colored foam with great retention and lace. Light haze on a deep orange body.

S - Orange marmalade, papaya, bread crust.

T - Loaded with peppery rye, grapefruit pith, orange honey. Spicy, woody hop builds through the backend.

M - Full body, almost thick.

O - A very nice rye IPA. Loaded with flavor, maybe a shade too sweet, but with a nice rye forward profile and a strong bitter character.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »