Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Bavaria Beer - Bavaria Brouwerij N.V.

Bavaria BeerBavaria Beer

good

Bavaria Brouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 04-23-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bavaria Beer Alström Bros
2.94/5  rDev -2.6%

A: This beer is pale golden with lots of small bubbles. A rather large creamy white head sinks slowly into nice lacings.

S: Malt, with some sweetness. Citric notes. But overall it's a mild smell. Boiled vegetables and kind of metallic.

T: The malt is balanced with some bitter hops. But taste is like the smell; metallic.

M: Body is meidum as well as carbonation. Aftertaste is a bit shorter than one could expect from a German Pilsener, some bitterness though.

O: A beer that quenches the thirst, but besides that - not very interesting. (545 characters)

3.36/5  rDev +11.3%

First of all, I'd like to say I'm not even sure I'm reviewing the right beer. The can I have says 'premium' on it but there's no listing for that beer and I seriously doubt I'm the first one to find this.

I'll say that what I am drinking isn't all that bad. It has a nice healthy head on it, slightly soapy with good retention. It actually has nice lacing too.

Smell - whatever. If you've smelled on pilsener you've smelled them all. There's a bit of citrus there - mostly lemon, along with some hops as well. Nothing too intense.

Yup, this is actually not bad. Its very crisp and refreshing. Its almost as if I put a slice of lemon in this thing. It has a great aftertaste, lots of hops there. Overall, its a well-rounded beer that is probably overlooked more than it should be. Not too shabby! (798 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

500ml Can

Appearance - Clear pale gold/yellow colour with a large size fizzy white coloured head. There is a below average amount of carbonation showing and there is just a fair amount of lacing. The head lasted for around five minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Grains/bread, grass, corn, malts

Taste & Mouth - The beer has an average amount of carbonation. I can taste bread/grains mixed with light hops and corn. I could also pick up on some very light notes of cloves and bananas. (very very light) The beer finishes with a grainy aftertaste.

Overall - I was on the fence with this one.. it had a taste that seemed a little off to me. Maybe even a little harsh. Anyways, it was still worth a try - but I wouldn't buy it again. (735 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +7.9%

{Picked up a sixer of this beer today.
poured from can into glass, light golden color, foamy head. medium carbonation.
Smells light, malty, slightly sweet, Heiniken-esque in a word. Mybe a touch sweeter than Heiniken. Not too much happening here.
Taste is lightly grainy, light hoppy, light maltiness..in a word light.Not too much happening here, a basic adjunct lager.
But actually after subsequent sips, a light malt sweetness is appreciated. Doesnt end bitter, skunky..etc, actually very light and refreshing.
Bought it to try, hesitant at first, but It's growing on me, think I kinda...well like it.
nice light summer beer, think I might pick it up again, but
Good thing I have some Belgians I've never seen before on deck! (728 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -9.9%

This lager was recommended to me by a friend who lived in The Hague. Normally I don't go for this style or this can. The beer I am reviewing is the Bavarian Pilsener in a 500ml can set at 5%abv.

A: Frothy head, consistent lacing, and straw gold in color. 10 minutes in and its still pumping fizz.

S: Smells like a genero-lager. Nothing to write to Holland about.

T: Starts great, finishes too quickly. Hard to discern that your drinking beer for the lack of flavor. But the light crispness of the common light lager has reduced me to expecting nothing more here.

M: Doesn't leave a bad taste in my mouth? The lager doesn't really linger anywhere on the tongue.

D: Completely refreshing! This is a beer that imo should only be quaffed for quaff sake. Get your lawn-chair out and put on the Oranje game cause your gonna get drunk and go back for more with this one. (870 characters)

2.22/5  rDev -26.5%

Can into Paulaner pint glass in low altitude Galway, Ireland. My can, purchased at the Spar off-license in Galway, perfectly matches the label in the beeradvocate picture except it displays 5.0% ABV rather than 4.8%. I frequently run into these little distinctions and like to point them out. Note that the can says it was brewed and canned in Holland, so I can't attribute the discrepancy to a rebrewer.

A: Off-urine yellow colour; on conjecture it's empty straw or wheat. Very transparent. Pathetic, thin head does have fair retention. About as inviting as sex with Kathy Bates in a pool of olive oil.

Sm: What smell? That vague hint of barley I had to forcefully inhale like a glue junkie?

T: Light empty open goes straight to water mixed with straw. Nonexistant finish. Very watery. To its credit I'm surprised they fit 5.0% in there. It doesn't taste bad because it doesn't really taste. That makes it better than Bavaria red. A damned embarassment to German Pilseners.

Mf: Light, wet, watery, but surprisingly coarse. I hate to admit it but the coarseness actually improves the beer. Other more inferior (is this possible? ...Yes) beers would be too smooth in addition to the light body and watery consistency. This one manages to stay on the palate for a bit. If the taste were better, this would be quite a nice effect.

Dr: Well, it tastes like nothing, but it's 5.0% ABV. Admittedly not easy to do. I won't be buying it again, but if you can find it fairly priced, I do have to say it wouldn't be a bad choice for getting sloshed if you can't handle hard alcohol.

German Pilsener fans would do well to outright ignore this beer's existence and move right along. USC fratboys rejoice (this isn't as much of a slight as it might seem; I attend USC). (1,768 characters)

2.69/5  rDev -10.9%

Huh, a Dutch beer called Bavaria - does anyone else find this strange or is it just me?

Poured from a 500ml can into a 500ml "mini" Stein glass (my DAB Stein actually).

A: Looks like a beer: check! Seriously though, the beer is golden with a slight yellow tinge. The 2cm (that's almost an inch to our American/British readers) head dissapated so quickly I couldn't have timed it. Oh well - points off for that.

S: Smells like beer: check! (yeah I'm gonna quit doing that). It actually smells like your typical Pilsen style - cut grass, apple trees and a tiny hint of citrus. Not sure if I'm also dectecting the classic macro brewery metallic tinge (I don't have the best sense of smell unfortunately).

T: Huh, smells like a Pilsner and tastes like a Lager - what's going on there Mr. Bavaria? Malts with a slight hop bitterness, i.e. typical Lager flavours. I'm drinking it at about 5 celcius (that's around 41 fahrenheit to our American/British readers) which means if I don't drink it soon it's going to start tasting crap (another Lager characteristic!). A touch too sweet for my liking, "Please sir, can I have more Hops?", oh well tis a cheap beer.

M: As I mentioned in my previous review (Sheaf Stout) I happen to like beers that aren't overly carbonated but this is ridiculous! I've only been drinking it for about 10 mins and it's flat already, what is going on Mr. Bavaria - if you're going to make a Pilsner that tastes like a Lager the least you could do is make it a little fizzy! Apart from this quirk it goes down easily.

D: Hmmm, I dunno about beers that smell like one style and taste like a different style - it's false advertising. Apart from that if I was a Lager drinker I would be right as rain, however I am not a big fan of the style. I'll finish the beer and then I'm afraid Mr. Bavaria we shall have to part ways. But for those who like a resonably (ahem *cheap*) priced Lager then look no further than this. Perhaps shake the can a little bit before serving.

Food match: Hamburgers, Hot dogs and other fast foods... if you're buying a beer like this I wouldn't recommend spending big on a lavish meal. (2,134 characters)

Appearance - Great pilsner depth straw yellow
Smell - is that yeast in a pilsner. It's there. Great rich malt hop aroma to it.
Taste - There are no beers worth drinking at our two gas stations on my way home from work. I tried this one just because and wow. It taste like beer. Excellent.
Mouthfeel - What's that? Creaminess in a pilsner. It was. Not whipped cream, but for a pilsner, wow again.
Drinkability - Very drinkable in single or doubles. On a really hot day they are too rich to quaff in quantity. (510 characters)

3.42/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured into a pint glass from a 50cl can.

A - Light, lacey head doesn't make up for the pale amber coloured liquid.

S - A bit of wheat, grass and malt... but not much of any of them.

T - Slightly sweet and soothing. Bit of a malty coating but not much in the terms of the flavour.

M - Slightly bitter with reasonable carbonation.

D - I think this beer is meant to be a rip-off of Heineken? If so it fails somewhat - in terms of the bottled stuff only, it actually tastes fairly similar to Heineken from the mini-kegs. Overall it's cheap and ok to drink but hardly exciting. (581 characters)

3.2/5  rDev +6%

Gold blond coloured sparkling body with a white head a hoppy spicy aroma a hoppy spicy wattery taste with a wattery bitter finish. Not much flavor. Fair mouthfeel. Lightly bitter and grainy, grassy hoppy and maltish flavour. A very average session beer. (253 characters)

3.26/5  rDev +7.9%

660ml Bottle

A- Very light gold, no bubbles & a small head that disappears rather quickly.
S- Gives off a good, strong smell of barley & grassy hops. It is sweet overall.
T- Crisp & refreshing with a bit of bitterness is the finish..
M- Thin bodied with good carbonation, it has a slight fizz to it.

Pretty much average or slightly better than, a nice beer overall with a crisp, refreshing finish.

http://abarwithnoname.wordpress.com (436 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bottle, and called "Bavaria Premium Beer" on the labels sent to British Columbia and Alberta, at 5% ABV.

This beer pours a clear, pale golden yellow colour, with three fingers of puffy, loosely foamy, and generally bubbly bone-white head, which leaves some random streaks of snow rime lace around the glass as it quickly dissipates.

It smells of grainy, weakly bready and crackery pale malt, gritty rice husks, and rather prominently skunky, dead grassy, and weedy hops. The taste is sweet bready cereal grain, both malt and corn/rice informed, doughy yeast, a bit of metallic minerality, and more stanky grassy, weedy hops.

The carbonation is moderate to low, and mostly just overwrought in its frothiness, the body medium-light in weight, and plainly smooth. It finishes off-dry, barely, as that skunkiness apparently hasn't had the good graces to just blow off by now.

There might be an average, adjunct-bolstered Euro Pale Lager here (Pilsner? Hah!), but for that acrid skunky odor that was evident upon popping the cap, and carried through to the very end. So not inherently bad, overall, yet it seems to lag in most every respect when held to the proclaimed style, and more so when that light-struck packaging bullshit is factored in. (1,252 characters)

3.46/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Best of the Dutch macroes yet hard to find in aus.

Appearance was amber to blonde with a good head which disappated not too fast.

Smell wasn't nice kinda skunky :S

Taste was surprisingly good, well balanced.

Mouthfeel was good, nothing amazing though.

Drinkability is decent, t can be chugged or savoured, fairly inexpensive:)

if I find this again for a similar price I'll be having it over Heinekin, Grolsch and definitely Amstel. (438 characters)

2.98/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a golden yellow color into, with a big head that dissipates very quickly leaving some lace. Heavily carbonated and keep the foam for enough time.

S: Smells of barley, grain, and some faint floral scents.

T: Tastes like a bread and hop, with some alcohol, hoppy bitterness and a very slight hint of candy.

M: Crisp, dry mouth feels, very bubbly in my mouth and the nice carbonation makes it very pleasant to drink. (425 characters)

3.45/5  rDev +14.2%

Thanks to woodychandler for the trade.Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a light golden color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit sweet. Taste is good, sweet, malts, and finishing a tad bitter. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and is highly drinkable. Overall this is a good quality brew. (288 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -11.3%

A: Typical light gold color and pure white head with 2 fingers, quickly dissipating.

S: Leafy hoppiness, with a slight sweetness within. Corn and grain.

T: Taste is slightly sweet of corn and white bread. Finishes wish a hint of honey and a vegetal note.

Notes: Completely typical. Nothing exciting here. Skip this one. (322 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +20.9%

Crystal clear and gold with a soapy cap of white foam. Sticky, spotty lace and decent head retention. Nice aroma, clean grains and grassy, floral hops, a bit of honey sweetness and bready malt. Mild to moderate hop bitterness that was noticeable throughout and lingered in the finish. Clean malt flavour with floral hops up front and a hint of spice in the finish. Light bodied, moderate to high carbonation, crisp and clean. Quite refreshing and well made. Although nothing stood out as exceptional, it was solid all around. (525 characters)

3.84/5  rDev +27.2%

The CANQuest (TM) is back on track! Man, these past ten days were killer while on an antibiotic regimen, but I like the way my right foot is connected to my ankle, so given the choice, ankle beat beer. CAN you dig it?

I hit up Binney's South Loop while passing through CHI and this was part of my haul. From the CAN: "Family brewed and [CAN]ned in Holland."

Crack and Glug time! I got an easy two fingers' of rocky, bone-white head exploding with huge CO2 bubbles. Surprisingly, the head actually evidenced decent retention. Color was a medium sunshine-yellow with NE-quality clarity. It had the characteristic balancing act nose of the style - GER Pilseners use Noble hops, but they also utilize enough malt so that the hops are not as forward as in the Bohemian pilseners. I admire a well-made lager style beer because it is so tricky a style. If it weren't, the west coast brewers would have been all over lagers a long time ago.

I digress - bottom line was that this had a good nose for the style. Mouthfeel was medium with an initial sweetness followed by a hop snap on the tongue. Finish had the same initial sweetness followed by a hoppy bitterness on the extreme finish. It is something like this that makes the madness worthwhile. I would bet that the hops may not hold up as well in a bottle, although I do not speak from experience. I do know that some of the most worthwhile imports that I have drunk in the last few years have been lager beers in a CAN. Definitely cooler-worthy! (1,497 characters)

3.27/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Amber-colored beer with a tendency to gold, opaque and almost no carbonation slightly dirty white foam, settling near zero.

Has little aroma,no perception of alcohol

T: Little bitter in taste with a final very thin, slightly bitter. Body very Light, refreshing, quenching in times of heat (294 characters)

2.99/5  rDev -1%

I found this single 11.2oz green bottle at the Binny's store in Plainfield,IL for $1.49. There's a bunch of numbers on the back label, but if that's a freshness code, I can't make heads or tails out of it.

The beer poured out a crystal clear yellow/gold color that was bright yellow when held to the light. It produced a two-finger white head that lasted a few minutes and left some decent lacing on the glass.

There is no smell to this beer - neither good nor bad.

Very mild flavors here - a faint amount of malt to balance out a faint amount of hop bitterness. I also get a little metallic flavor from the water. It's actually not a bad taste but there's just not enough to it.

Smooth mouthfeel with actually more body to it than I would have guessed. The low carbonation actually works well here. I loved the mouthfeel.

Not a great beer but certainly drinkable. (870 characters)

3.6/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This beer is commonly available in Singapore in most supermarkets and some bars. It is usually my staple 6 pack of beer (other than Warsteiner or Grolsch) and I have drunk it far more times than even the local brew, Tiger beer.

A: Pours a golden yellow colour into my favourite Warsteiner pilsener glass with a big head that dissipates very quickly leaving some lace. This beer appears really heavily carbonated and there are bubbles everywhere. Quite pretty to look at.

S: Smells of barley, grain, and some faint floral scents.

T: Tastes like a good lager, with some alcohol, hoppy bitterness and a very slight hint of candy. Very nice taste, comparable to Warsteiner.

M: Nice, crisp, dry mouthfeel, very bubbly in my mouth and the nice carbonation makes it very pleasant to drink.

D: as said above, while heavily carbonated, and it does not taste of any adjuncts nor is there much skunkiness. A good, dependable 'stock' beer that can be drunk at almost any time of the day. (981 characters)

3.08/5  rDev +2%

My parents, bless 'em love their German pilsener. Since I was a kid their fridge has featured Beck's, Dinkel, Spaten, St. Pauli, and the like. A few times while dipping into their stores I've seen (and drank), a similar looking and tasting brew called Bavaria, which strangely, hails from Holland. So at least I had a point of reference when I heard about the big brouhaha at the current World Cup pertaining to Bavaria brewery, 30 comely Dutch maidens, and very short orange skirts. Google these words together if not familiar with the controversy.

This is pretty tame, run of the mill pilsener poured into my Warsteiner pokal. A nice golden color and retaining almost no head at all. Subtle but grainy hops in the nose.

Relaxing, mellow taste that follows through with some gentle noble hops in the finish. A bit of bread and biscuit notes predominate but overall not a ton of flavor. A little watery in texture, could stand some crisping.

Agreeable but uninspiring. I can see why they've resorted to media stunts involving hot blonds because the beer just isn't very exciting. (1,085 characters)

3.24/5  rDev +7.3%

500ml can poured into pint glass june30 2010

A clear golden yellow with only a little carbonation but a solid two fingers of head that has great retention and leaves plenty of lace, this was quite the surprise lets hope this is as good as it looks

S nope not quite, some sour smelling malt and mild grassy hops

T the sour grains are now slightly sweet and the grassy hops are still there but nothing special

M a little thin but quite crisp with just a little bite and enough carbonation to please

D no real problems just a little average where it counts

I might drink this again the price is right, perhaps on a hot day when I feel like downing a 6 pack of tall boys (673 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -43.4%

500ml can
5.0% ABV
I tried this beer on June 29, 2009 after purchasing fropm one of my local LCBO outlets. The beer poured a translucent pale gold colour with a foamy, bubbly white head, and a ton of effervescent. The aroma was grassy malt, some off aromas, and hops. The mouthfeel was highly carbonated and light-bodied. The flavour was grainy malt with a bitter finish, and some peppery notes. (395 characters)

3.22/5  rDev +6.6%

A clear yellow colored beer with a small white head.

Smell is clean for a cheap beer with a light grassy hop with a slight lemon scent. Bread dough and yeast make up most of the malt scent.

Starts out smooth with no real strong flavors, a fair hint of bitterness in the finish. Not a real complex flavor. Lemon in the hops nice but not a best of the breed beer.

Mouthfeel is medium.

Good smooth beer with no off flavors; it's not the best beer in the world but OK for $4 a six-pack. (486 characters)

Bavaria Beer from Bavaria Brouwerij N.V.