Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Homo Erectus - Walking Man Brewing Co.

Homo ErectusHomo Erectus

pDev: 9%
Walking Man Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

Beer added by: freed on 09-04-2003

Reviews by PopeJonPaul:
4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Damn, this beer must be hard to find. I also had it at the Horse Brass on a recent visit to Portland, hadn't even heard of it until the bartender in the "Viper" T-Shirt recommended it.

Poured a creamy dark red-orange with a considerable head, with a nice light hop aroma. Great salty, smoky, orange-peel hop flavor with a massive bite, all built on an underlying well-balanced malty foundation. Had a nice tastebud-popping mouthfeel, and a dry finish with a slight grapefruit edge. I was quite impressed with this stuff. After I was finished there was so much lacing on the glass it looked like I just had a milkshake. I would reach for this stuff again in a heartbeat. (672 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +13.6%

Appearance – The promise of a big, malty backbone looms large here. The body is a dark, creamy thick brownish-orange that supports an ample, foamy, lacing head.

Smell – The smooth citrus hops mix well with an underlying piney aroma. The sharp floral notes almost make this one seem dry-hopped. The big caramel-laden malty base is present in the nose as well.

Taste – This will be too much for most. The malt backbone in particular is drenched with unsulphored molasses. How I missed this at the nose I’ll never know. There’s also a stinging sense of alcohol. The ABV is not published but beware.

The hops fight back enough to stay in the game. The smooth citrus and complimentary pine are almost lost in the malty shuffle, though. They just do manage to stay on top.

Mouthfeel – Full in the body, hands down the fullest IPA I’ve had to date, with a creamy smooth middle and a bitter dryness at the end. There are so many flavors, all very big, that your cheeks and taste buds will go nuts (is the “kid in a candy shop” too worn out here). If you love big beers, though, your mouth will love you for drinking it.

Drinkability – This is too big for most beer-lovers, even those that fancy the PacNW IPA style. The ABV will take the social drinker to the mat. The huge malts will put off hop-heads. The bitter, dry finish will leave women and children crying. That said, I love this stuff.

Comments – Skyhand discovered, introduced me to, enticed me with, made me dependant on, and finally satisfied me with this “ultimate IPA” from an obscure brewery that I otherwise would have never found. BA Buds are the best!

Update – Since I loved the ’04 so much skyhand was nice enough to bring a growler over to my place for the 1st Annual NYC/Chi-town Pizza Cook Off. I found the beer very sessionable even with all of the big flavors. The excellent malt structure of this ale stood out a little more for me this time around. Overall this is one of my absolute favs. (1,993 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

4.68/5  rDev +13.9%

This is a beautiful golden amber color like amber the jewel. Nice head of sticky white lacing.
Sweetish Malt and fresh piney hops in the aroma. Does the 9% alcohol raise it's head after it warms? Nope...aroma stays clean and fresh...even more hops with more of a citrus note as it warms and more fruit notes to the brew.
First impression is the sweetness of the amber malts...clean, not cloying, but definately sweet. Immediately there is the presence of piney hops that melds to grapefruit citrus peel hops....intense and all that is left of the complex flavors after you swallow.
Hmmm...again I ask, 'Where is the alcohol'? It isn't present in the flavor, either.
Aftertaste is palette scarring citrus....nice dryig in the mouth.
After'feel' is....'Ah yes...THERE's the alcohol.'
Carefull with this one...it is deliciously addictive and the alcohol REALLY needs to be respected. It's there...you just don't know it while drinking it.
Thanks skyhand for sending me a growler - 64 oz. of amber drops from heaven. Good stuff. (1,031 characters)

3.79/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.2/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at the Porterhouse, West Seattle.

A: Orange/gold in color. Small white head and thick lacing.

S: Strong pine scent backed by citrus.

T: Grapefruit and floral with some piny notes. At 9%, the bite is there but not overwhelming.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

O: Well balanced with a nice hop profile backed by maltiness. Highly drinkable for an Imperial IPA. (376 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +6.3%

on tap at Brouwers in Seattle

appearance: served in a pint during hopfest (an extraordinary surprise), bold orange body with a big foamy beige head and pretty nice retention...looks inviting

smell: zesty hops, pine and citrus, rather floral with a noticeable thick caramel malt base

taste: great DIPA...thick and chewy with strong bitter hops...apricot, grapefruit and other citrus and a big caramel malt base. This has a big oily finish with a varietal of fruit-jam flavors (citrus, peach, berry) - great DIPA

mouthfeel: huge body, thick and full, molassess and citrus

drinkability: good (593 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.16/5  rDev +1.2%

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

Just had this beer today at lunch. Nice big hoppy IPA with a long bitter finish. I think it lacked some balance in bittering hops and malt. If I compare it to say Hop Stoopid a very high IBU IPA it doesn't hit the mark for a high IBV beer. I doubt they are using hop extract which seems to me the ingredient that is defining big IPA's.

A: Golden to copper with decent head
S: decent hop profile but lacking a big floral/citris aroma of dry hopping
T: Nice amount of malt with a bit too many bittering hops which create a long bitter finish which can be good and bad
M: ABV of 9 pushes this into good to very good mouthfeel.
O: Overall a nice beer but there are many DIPA's better than this one. (695 characters)

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.54/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear amber orange with 3 plus fingers of pale yellow head that really lasts. Lots of fine bubble lacing. Smell is mostly bready malts with some floral hops. Taste is rich malt bomb with some tasty fruity hops that try to break through the malt barrier. The hops keep building with some pine notes that get washed away by the malt waves.
I had to stop and think about this beer. Did I get the wrong version? It drinks like a really big American Pale Ale. Smooth and delicious. After a few more tastes I could feel a bit of alcohol at the back of my throat and eventually in my stomach. That was my only assurance that I had the correct beer. I drank about 12 very tasty easy drinking ounces before deciding to cut short my progress on the fresh filled growler.
Overall a delicious big tasty and sneaky beer. I loved it. Mouthfeel is medium and it finishes lightly dry. (870 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

4.42/5  rDev +7.5%

Stopped at the brewpub today .... I was hoping to score some Jaywalker or Old Stumblefoot... but alas, they were no longer on tap.... I was able to talk the fine ladies working behind the bar to fill some 22's for me (I had sanitized bottles and caps with me and a capper.... I'm a nerd.... and I'm okay with that :-)

I am reviewing this one as a growler because it was off of tap.

I had a pint of the homo erectus at the pub and was pretty damn happy with it.. soooo... I want a beer.. one 22 down. Poured into my shaped SA glass.

Slightly hazy golden amber.. great head and lacing..

Nose is a fresh battering ram of PNW hoppiness.. pine and citrus.. but a surprising smack of floral hops are a nice distraction.. lite pale malts with only whiffs of caramel.. this just smells soooo fresh.

Flavor mirrors the nose with only a little bit more pale maltiness and with a bunch more juicy hops.. the citrus and pine are waaay up front with a more floral essence coming out on the finish... the malts are not an afterthought by any means.. instead more of a way to get the hops into the front of the palate.. the finish is fairly dry with a lingering hoppiness that sticks around and makes me want another sip... drinkability is really fairly high.. body is lite for such a heavy hitter, but really spot on for a nice dry PNW DIPA.. this one should certainly be considered for a place among the big boys.

Edit: I can't believe that I've never been to Walking Man before today.. for some stupid reason (mainly apathy), I've always just assumed they were somewhere up near Seattle.. instead, the are only a couple of minutes off of I-84 on the way home from PDX... They can count on seeing me anytime I make the trip. (1,717 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured into a Seattle Beer Week pint glass. Pours a medium to dark bronze amber with a three finger light tan head with good retention and pillowy lacing, looks great. Nice aroma of caramel and bready malt, citrus and lightly piney hops, orange citrus. Flavor is rich caramel and biscuit malt, resiny citrusy and somewhat dank hops with hints of grapefruit and pine, finishes with very nice caramel mixed with hop resins. Great mouth feel, medium with a pleasant creaminess. A quite intensely hopped IPA, but with a big malt body to support the hops. For all the hop flavors and power, suprisingly little herbal hop flavors. However the balance of rich malt and strong hops works out quite nicely. I like malty IPAs and this one hits the spot. Glad I got to try this now that they are bottling it. (797 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Had this on tap at the new Abbey Pub in Bend. Highly recommend checking it out, the place needs a lot of work for atmosphere but the beer on tap is fantastic, and the food is pretty good too. 10 taps, most of them rarities in central oregon, good call!

A: Pours a hazy orange amber hue with very small one finger head that quickly dissipated into a thin foam. Body is very opaque and cloudy, nice lacing as I drank.

S: Not a huge nose on this, expected a heavier pungent aroma from a big DIPA. Does have a nice faint floral hop and citrus aroma, a little pine resin and caramel malt backnote.

T: A little better than the aroma, starts with sweet grapefruit/orange with a little pine resin. The caramel malt kicks in the middle and it finishes pretty crisp and clean, pretty well balanced.

M: Surprisingly smooth and a little lighter than I expected from a 9% DIPA. The alcohol is well hidden in the heavy malt body but it still comes off as crisp, the carbonation is spot on.

D: Very drinkable, again it does not feel like 9% at all and goes down very smooth. Overall this was a pretty good DIPA, not as impressed as I expected to be though. (1,146 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +9%

3.62/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to hopdog for sharing this growler...
Appears a hazy dark copper with a small off white head that quickly fades into a mild cap and collar. Scattered spots of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of honey, pine, herbal hops, and caramel.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with more of a floral & herbal flavor coming through with a touch of biscuits found in the background.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spicy, sweet...'tis ok. (438 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +3.4%

Homo Erectus from Walking Man Brewing Co.