Homo Erectus - Walking Man Brewing Co.

Homo ErectusHomo Erectus

Walking Man Brewing Co. visit their website
Washington, United States

Beer added by: freed on 09-04-2003

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 99 | Reviews: 47
4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

This is a beautiful golden amber color like amber the jewel. Nice head of sticky white lacing.
Sweetish Malt and fresh piney hops in the aroma. Does the 9% alcohol raise it's head after it warms? Nope...aroma stays clean and fresh...even more hops with more of a citrus note as it warms and more fruit notes to the brew.
First impression is the sweetness of the amber malts...clean, not cloying, but definately sweet. Immediately there is the presence of piney hops that melds to grapefruit citrus peel hops....intense and all that is left of the complex flavors after you swallow.
Hmmm...again I ask, 'Where is the alcohol'? It isn't present in the flavor, either.
Aftertaste is palette scarring citrus....nice dryig in the mouth.
After'feel' is....'Ah yes...THERE's the alcohol.'
Carefull with this one...it is deliciously addictive and the alcohol REALLY needs to be respected. It's there...you just don't know it while drinking it.
Thanks skyhand for sending me a growler - 64 oz. of amber drops from heaven. Good stuff.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

Appearance – The promise of a big, malty backbone looms large here. The body is a dark, creamy thick brownish-orange that supports an ample, foamy, lacing head.

Smell – The smooth citrus hops mix well with an underlying piney aroma. The sharp floral notes almost make this one seem dry-hopped. The big caramel-laden malty base is present in the nose as well.

Taste – This will be too much for most. The malt backbone in particular is drenched with unsulphored molasses. How I missed this at the nose I’ll never know. There’s also a stinging sense of alcohol. The ABV is not published but beware.

The hops fight back enough to stay in the game. The smooth citrus and complimentary pine are almost lost in the malty shuffle, though. They just do manage to stay on top.

Mouthfeel – Full in the body, hands down the fullest IPA I’ve had to date, with a creamy smooth middle and a bitter dryness at the end. There are so many flavors, all very big, that your cheeks and taste buds will go nuts (is the “kid in a candy shop” too worn out here). If you love big beers, though, your mouth will love you for drinking it.

Drinkability – This is too big for most beer-lovers, even those that fancy the PacNW IPA style. The ABV will take the social drinker to the mat. The huge malts will put off hop-heads. The bitter, dry finish will leave women and children crying. That said, I love this stuff.

Comments – Skyhand discovered, introduced me to, enticed me with, made me dependant on, and finally satisfied me with this “ultimate IPA” from an obscure brewery that I otherwise would have never found. BA Buds are the best!

Update – Since I loved the ’04 so much skyhand was nice enough to bring a growler over to my place for the 1st Annual NYC/Chi-town Pizza Cook Off. I found the beer very sessionable even with all of the big flavors. The excellent malt structure of this ale stood out a little more for me this time around. Overall this is one of my absolute favs.

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

One could argue that this is the beer that has ruined me for lesser DIPA's. My palate has never been quite the same since I first sampled this hop nectar at the Rose & Raindrop years ago.

Had on tap at numerous places (HorseBrass, R&R and the brewpub in Stevenson), but most recently at Concordia Alehouse (where, along with the knuckledragger, it's almost a regular).

The beer pours an intriguing dark brown color with nuances of amber. The beer has a persistent head with sticky lacing everywhere. This does not look like your typical DIPA, but don't be fooled. This is a hop bomb ready to explode. On the nose one gets some dry citrus, earth and tobacco. There's a hint of sweet malt as well, but only a hint. The beer smells pretty good, but again not like any other DIPA I've had. On the palate this DIPA is unique. There is a huge mouthfeel/presence, and it doesn't have the usual piney, orange citrus flavors. There is considerably dry citrus bite from the hops, but this beer is amazingly smooth and quaffable. I don't know how Walking Man does it, but there is enough malt in this bad boy to counter and balance the hops, but without being overly sweet or tiring. The finish is pretty dry and is very long. The abv. is very well disguised in this beer, but it's more then just that. It's actually very refreshing on the palate and each gulp begs you to take the next gulp.

The most drinkable DIPA on the planet, IMO. Excellent and highly recommended.

4.59/5  rDev +13.1%

Served in an 10 oz mini-imperial pint glass, the brew was a very hazy dark orange-red copper color with a fine white head. The aroma presented a well-developed and robust complex of floral hops. The combination of floral and resin hop notes was lively, bright, and mouthwatering. Also present were a variety of citrus notes...fantastic. The taste was superb as well. I was hit by a barrage of aromatic bitter hop notes (resembling the nose), held up by the perfect level of malt. The mouthfeel was smooth and full; just right for the style. This was an extremely drinkable and satisfying imperial IPA , with big flavors but at the same time being refeshing and crisp. Alcohol was concealed completely. Unfortunately,at the time of writing this review, I beleive it is only available at the brewery and Horse Brass in Portland(I had it at both, but this review comes from the Horse Brass serving). Not to be missed if you find it!

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%

32 oz. growler fill from Chill and Fill in Portland, OR. Dark amber, smells of sweet malt and piney hops. Taste is caramel and pine, little or no citrus thankfully. Perhaps my favorite DIPA. 9% abv, 90 IBUs of beer goodness. Pair well with a cheese plate, smellier the better. The first DIPA I had was this 10 years ago, and I was sold then. Glad its still just as good.

4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at Uber Tavern Seattle. Funny thing...this a wallop of a beer. Big, bright, huge aroma and flavor...but it was enjoyed as a session beer Yep...that's right. A real quaffer.
It started with the mouth feel. There was a huge flavor profile, but the very smooth drinkable carbonation melded with a full malt backbone...well, let's say it was a rich, satisfying drink. Granted, sitting in Uber with the fire pit and a cool, rainy night outside...it was a nice for contemplation and sipping. But in fact I was on Beer Safari with 3 bros, and everything was upbeat and let's do more, more, more...
the appearance is a rich yellow/amber with a smooth head, followed by righteous lacing. Aroma is full hoppy-ness, fresh and bright. Flavor rolls with citrus, slight mellow caramel, maybe a touch of banana. The mouth feel is sinful. Sinful! Soft, luxuriant...inviting....
Damn, I'm poppin down a full octane beer, but it seems like I'm sippin on a perfectly poured Brit Pale Ale.
Let's face it... there are many, many excellent IPAs...but not unlike PTY, this one stands out for the drinkability above and beyond the great flavor.
Hope you're lucky enough to have one poured on tap for you>

4.54/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Clear amber orange with 3 plus fingers of pale yellow head that really lasts. Lots of fine bubble lacing. Smell is mostly bready malts with some floral hops. Taste is rich malt bomb with some tasty fruity hops that try to break through the malt barrier. The hops keep building with some pine notes that get washed away by the malt waves.
I had to stop and think about this beer. Did I get the wrong version? It drinks like a really big American Pale Ale. Smooth and delicious. After a few more tastes I could feel a bit of alcohol at the back of my throat and eventually in my stomach. That was my only assurance that I had the correct beer. I drank about 12 very tasty easy drinking ounces before deciding to cut short my progress on the fresh filled growler.
Overall a delicious big tasty and sneaky beer. I loved it. Mouthfeel is medium and it finishes lightly dry.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

I can hardly find any information about this beer, but I found it on tap at the Horse Brass. Cheers!

Imperial Pint on cask, lovely copper body with a nice naturally creamy head. A wonderfully fresh and citrusy aroma that doesn't completely hide the abundant malt body. The taste starts with a crrisp hob bite followed by a nice, somewhat traditionally british malt profile, with some almost berry flavors. That sounds off putting, but its a subtle sensation that is quite nice. The beer finishes with a dryness that any IPA should leave. It really finishes itself off well, and is quite a good beer. I was somewhat surprised by its affects upon my equilibrium, so I suspect that maybe its got a higher Abv.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Dark brown/orange with rusty edges and a big/fat tan/brown head of foamy foam foam. Aromas are all fresh cut citrusy hops, herbal hop notes, pines, hop resins, oils, and cones. The taste is a bit bready and biscuity, and than the orange citrusy hop flavors come into play with some lemony/lime/herby goodness in the mix as well. Mouthfeel is medium>thick and the drinkability is damn good for a double ipa as well. Damn good stuff.

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

If Walking Man were located in a major city like Town Hall is, we'd see much more championing of their brews. As it is, they're located in the middle of nowhere and only the most attentive of beer lovers know they exist. Once you do however, this brewery is unavoidable. You can't sneeze without a true Northwest BA mentioning Walking Man.

This brew pours golden autumn with a nice dense head of foam. Lacing tracks the progress on down.

Though the malt provides a firm backbone the hops quickly overwhelm it. Lemon, orange, grass and caramel surge over the tongue to provide a temporary respite from the massive bitterness the finish incurs. This is a world class double IPA that certainly satisfies all hop desires.

In all this is the beer you pray for when looking for a hop fix.

4.42/5  rDev +8.9%

Stopped at the brewpub today .... I was hoping to score some Jaywalker or Old Stumblefoot... but alas, they were no longer on tap.... I was able to talk the fine ladies working behind the bar to fill some 22's for me (I had sanitized bottles and caps with me and a capper.... I'm a nerd.... and I'm okay with that :-)

I am reviewing this one as a growler because it was off of tap.

I had a pint of the homo erectus at the pub and was pretty damn happy with it.. soooo... I want a beer.. one 22 down. Poured into my shaped SA glass.

Slightly hazy golden amber.. great head and lacing..

Nose is a fresh battering ram of PNW hoppiness.. pine and citrus.. but a surprising smack of floral hops are a nice distraction.. lite pale malts with only whiffs of caramel.. this just smells soooo fresh.

Flavor mirrors the nose with only a little bit more pale maltiness and with a bunch more juicy hops.. the citrus and pine are waaay up front with a more floral essence coming out on the finish... the malts are not an afterthought by any means.. instead more of a way to get the hops into the front of the palate.. the finish is fairly dry with a lingering hoppiness that sticks around and makes me want another sip... drinkability is really fairly high.. body is lite for such a heavy hitter, but really spot on for a nice dry PNW DIPA.. this one should certainly be considered for a place among the big boys.

Edit: I can't believe that I've never been to Walking Man before today.. for some stupid reason (mainly apathy), I've always just assumed they were somewhere up near Seattle.. instead, the are only a couple of minutes off of I-84 on the way home from PDX... They can count on seeing me anytime I make the trip.

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

on tap at Brouwers in Seattle

appearance: served in a pint during hopfest (an extraordinary surprise), bold orange body with a big foamy beige head and pretty nice retention...looks inviting

smell: zesty hops, pine and citrus, rather floral with a noticeable thick caramel malt base

taste: great DIPA...thick and chewy with strong bitter hops...apricot, grapefruit and other citrus and a big caramel malt base. This has a big oily finish with a varietal of fruit-jam flavors (citrus, peach, berry) - great DIPA

mouthfeel: huge body, thick and full, molassess and citrus

drinkability: good

4.37/5  rDev +7.6%

I've had this on several occasions, most recently on-draught at Concordia Ale House. At 9% ABV, this is definitely in the Double/Imperial IPA category.

A: Rich auburn orange/brown, crowned with 1/2 of creamy light tan head. Only slightly hazy when held to light, showing off very few lazily rising single carbonation bubbles. Good-looking sticky bands of lace.

S: Immense hoppy nose, full of pine and grapefruit with an underlying layer of caramel-sweet malt. Served a little cool, so the full aroma didn't immediately burst forth, but as it warmed the hop aroma really developed and shone.

T: Thick sweet malt is engulfed by big grapefruit and resin bitterness. Malts are full of biscuits and caramel; hops are juicy and pucker-inducing. A huge, flavorful IPA with excellent balance.

M: A creamy mouthfeel, thick and clinging. Surprisingly smooth; warming from the elevated alcohol level is stealthy.

D: A terrific DIPA, bold, balanced. Huge IBU's, listed at 100 on WM's website, make this a Hophead's dream. It's one that I like to have occasionally (simply because the extremely hoppy beers are not my favorites). However, this is definitely one of Walking Man's best and is one I highly recommend.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

On tap at the Rose and the Raindrop in Portland, OR. Recommended by the barkeep when I asked for the freshest, hoppiest IPA on tap.

Pours a deep orange, so deep I almost doubted his expretese! It manages to pull it off, though, as it is very inviting looking. Healthy head but no lace.

Taste is very northwest, with cascades dominating the profile. A flavor explosion fades to an enjoyable bitter aftertaste. The dark color is decieving because it doesn't come across as very malty at all. Refreshing.

A great session beer for hopheads (a 2-3 pint session, anyway!) Cheers!

(edit: 9% abv? I don't believe it, I would've guessed 6-7%)

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Damn, this beer must be hard to find. I also had it at the Horse Brass on a recent visit to Portland, hadn't even heard of it until the bartender in the "Viper" T-Shirt recommended it.

Poured a creamy dark red-orange with a considerable head, with a nice light hop aroma. Great salty, smoky, orange-peel hop flavor with a massive bite, all built on an underlying well-balanced malty foundation. Had a nice tastebud-popping mouthfeel, and a dry finish with a slight grapefruit edge. I was quite impressed with this stuff. After I was finished there was so much lacing on the glass it looked like I just had a milkshake. I would reach for this stuff again in a heartbeat.

4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Poured a orangish gold color with good carbonation and a small white head

S: Flowers, pine and grapefruit.

T: Taste is well hopped, slight bite and very balanced, not overly done but a treat to drink! Grapefruit, floral and a tad pine. Caramel backbone

M: Mouthfeel has a medium body with a slick texture.

D: Very good!

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%

On tap in a 4 oz sampler glass at the Walking Man pub.

appearance - poured an amber orange, streaking lace, low head, retention along the edges

smell - the dry hopping is evident, big resinous hops on the nose, piney

taste - resinous and flavorful hops dominant with a slightly bitter finish

mouthfeel - medium/full bodied, slightly dry finish

drinkability - strong and hoppy but the alcohol is well hidden, amazing IPA

From the brewery:
An Imperial IPA brewed in celebration of being erect for two million years. Special batches: Big Phat Homo (dry-hopped) and My Old Kentucky Homo (bourbon barrel aged). 2005 North American Beer Awards Silver Meda

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

1/2 gal growler from the source.

Pours dark gold with a copper hue and a viscous, robust head of off-white. Plenty of dotted lacing throughout the glass as well as a thin skim coat on the surface.

Aromatics lead off with a nice blend of citrus, pine, and sticky malt. Not screamingly pungent but enticing nonetheless. Powdered grapefruit and pine resins.

Medium bodied with a plump, tacky mouthfeel.

Ripe fruit, gummy malt, and leafy resins start the palate. Plenty of juicy malt to balance and bitterness is fairly light for the style. Sturdy in nature with a good amount of heft and hops. Freshness abundant.

Finishes with lingering, sticky resins, pine-rubbed grapefruit, and a bit of warmth.

Tasty IIPA. I was also able to sample a beer similar to this one (after hours) which was brewed with agave nectar, which kicked ass. Shot down on the growler on that one though.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured a dark orange-amber with a thin slick of eggshell head. Nice hoppy aroma dominated by pine, grapefruit, and floral notes.

Lowish carbonation from the cask and a smooth, light mouthfeel. Grapefruit and floral hops up front with gentle toffee biscuit. Pleasant pine bitterness and just a hint of booze on the finish.

Would never peg this at 9% - really smooth and very tasty hop-forward IIPA.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

First, I love the irony in the name. The beer named for the man that stands upright delivers a roundhouse kick of hops and enough alcohol to knock you on your butt. For the record, the ABV is 9.0%.

There’s a lot to like here: the clear sorrel color, the two fingers of suds, the seductive floral aroma. The flavor is alive with leafy, herbaceous hops that still leave an opening for a sweet flush of malts. Alcohol also makes its presence known.

This is a buccaneer beer – a real swashbuckler. Imperial in every way.

4.29/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Homo Erectus is Walking Man's flagship Imperial IPA which has a nice bitter hop flavor and a nice malt flavor that tries to catch up but can't quite make it. Hops win.

I really like beers that try and have a balance war in your mouth. This is a solid IPA. Watch out... it is easier drinking than a 9% should be and will knock you on your ass if you're not careful.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Clear, pale orange appearance, huge frothy creamy-toned head...leaving loads of lace...

Piney, citric aroma, bittersweet, fresh and delighfully hoppy.

Zesty in the mouth, flush with fruit, creamy and delicious. Fine and mellow hop attack, blasts the tongue, but smoothly. Very smoothly, but then the flavor gets stronger, fuller, more prominent on the palate. Grapefruit grinds it up with berries, lemon, orange, mixed well with bitter hops.

Medium bodied, fullish mouthfeel, long finish, fruity and bitter and ever so delicious. yum, and...9%? Wooo, here it comes...burns brighter, gets bolder, smacks the senses about a bit. Yums, yums...

lipsmacking bitter hoppiness, easy-drinking, but higher booziness...makes one big, bad, beautiful brew!

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at the Porterhouse, West Seattle.

A: Orange/gold in color. Small white head and thick lacing.

S: Strong pine scent backed by citrus.

T: Grapefruit and floral with some piny notes. At 9%, the bite is there but not overwhelming.

M: Medium body with good carbonation.

O: Well balanced with a nice hop profile backed by maltiness. Highly drinkable for an Imperial IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

I enjoyed this beer very much today. The beer had a fragrant smell, but less overwheming than other Imperial IPA's I've tried. The taste follows suit, pretty dry for an imperial, it is well balanced for certain. Very tasty and very drinkable,... but 2 of these beers would send you off into space.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Walking Man 12/3 poured into pint glass.

Light amber one finger white head slow disipation, nice retention and very good lacing. Complex nose, fruity and piney hops with bready malt backbone. Big hop hit on tastebuds, good grapefruit hops, with a fairly dry malt profile providing nice balance. Fairly dry hoppy bitter finish. Very drinkable for this ABV, if I didn't have to get to Beervana that evening I would have had several of these. Big hop bomb. Very tasty, worth seeking out.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Homo Erectus from Walking Man Brewing Co.