Black Cherry Stout - Walking Man Brewing Co.

Black Cherry Stout
No picture uploaded.
good

Walking Man Brewing Co.
Washington, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.20% ABV

(Beer added by: HiroProtagonist on 04-25-2004)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by ccrida:
ccrida

3.38/5  rDev -5.6%

Had this on draft at Henry's in Portland, the appearance is pretty strait forward stout, a thick tan head that left a bit of lace, paired with a very deep, dark chocolate colored brew.

Smell was very appetizing, a rich sour cherry with a bit of roasted malt.

Taste was not nearly as robust, pretty much just a strong stout, a nice bit of burnt malt and coffee, coupled with a nice tartness from the cherry, but not nearly as rich and complex as the aroma had me expecting.

Mouthfeel was very rich and creamy, medium body.

Drinkablity was fine as far as stouts go, stronger then you might realize, but not something I couldn't put down (or would want a second pint of). Somehow, it didn't quite seem to all come together, I'll have to revisit this beer in the future, perhaps bottled.

02-05-2007 04:45:10 | More by ccrida
Magpie14

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at Horse Brass

A: black. Maybe a few hues of deep reddish brown, otherwise black. Soft ring of brown foam at the rim, looks like a good solid stout

S: cordial cherries with a darker chocolate whiff and roasted malts have a light nose. Cherries are tart and sweet smelling, steal the show. Nice smell for the fruit and chocolate lover

T: I am glad the malts made a stronger appearance than in the nose. Malts are dark, roasted, and provide a hearty backbone that sets the stage for sweeter notes to float about. Sweet cherries sprinkled with powered sugar and butter. Roasted vibe is good and keeps things mellow and away from being to sweet, also a poof of roasted smokiness can be detected from time to time. This is all finished off by a soft bitterness

M: this stout has a well over mild feel but not what I would call heavy. A small amount of activity with a fruit tartness and fairly well mannered/smooth

D: a good solid brew. Flavors (malts and cherries) are well balanced and keep things interesting on an average level. Not bad!

01-31-2009 02:11:12 | More by Magpie14
ElGordo

4.28/5  rDev +19.6%

Mmm, mmm. Found this on one of the guest taps at the Horse Brass. Pours jet black with a small, coffee-colored head. Poured a little cold, but aroma is still a nice blend of dark cherries and a hint of chocolate. Wonderful creamy mouthfeel holds a nice, deep malty base with a background of cherries, dark chocolate, and a touch of molasses. Probably the best stout I've had in years.

06-14-2004 23:10:19 | More by ElGordo
bultrey

2.33/5  rDev -34.9%

Well, I had my share of great craft brew on my recent Oregon trip, but I'll start with the bad. I'd heard so much about Walking Man, and on a visit to the famous Horse Brass in Portland I was excited to see this and the Homo Erectus IPA on draft. I asked for the latter first, but they were out, so settled on this as a dessert later.
While this beer looks nice, and smells like a nice chocolate-covered cherry, the taste is syrupy and gross, like cherry cough syrup. This needs much more roastiness from the malt and perhaps more hopping to balance out the cloying sweetness. Mouthfeel was fine, and drinkability can only be classified as "difficult." Quite shocking, as I really like the other Cherry Stout I've tried, from Kalamazoo.
I will seek out more Walking Man brews in the future, as I hear their expertise is in their use of hops -- but I will not be trying this again. I'd like to suggest that maybe the Horse Brass isn't keeping this in top shape, as the other really negative review was from a pint poured here.

10-11-2005 21:20:27 | More by bultrey
Mahlik

1.35/5  rDev -62.3%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Henry's 12th St Tavern. Reviewed from notes but unfortunately I remember this beer all too well.

A - Black, opaque with a thin brown head. Some lacing.

S - Cherries, cherries and more cherries. It smells like I stuck my nose in a jar of maraschino cherries. I can't really smell anything else. I pick up a slight hint of roasted malts but just barely. A complete lack of depth.

T - I found the taste to be disgusting. The cherries aren't as dominant in the taste. I get cherries up front, followed by some roasted malts and just a hint of chocolate. But then a nasty cherry syrup taste hits. It was like drinking cherry cough syrup. The taste only got worse as I allowed it to warm up a bit.

M - Medium-bodied, light carbonation. The syrupy taste that seemed to linger only made this beer worse.

O - IMO, a terrible beer. So many things are wrong with this beer. However, judging by the large amount of positive reviews of this beer, maybe the tap line was tainted or it was just a bad batch. I'm almost thinking that has to be it because there is no way anyone would have enjoyed what I drank. It's a shame too because I have heard so many great things about Walking Man.

11-20-2011 04:03:57 | More by Mahlik
Braz

3.5/5  rDev -2.2%

09-05-2013 16:18:25 | More by Braz
xoqx

3.53/5  rDev -1.4%

This beer is dark brown mahogany color with a very dark tan head that had little retention and light lacing. The smell is nothing but artificial cherry candy odors. The taste is very reminiscent of several cherry cough syrups. There is unfortunately so much cherry here, few of the standard stout tastes can escape its gravitation pull. The finish is medium length and somewhat lingering in aftertaste. There is a puckering tannic effect on the sides of the mouth. Not very drinkable, a bit of a novelty in my opinion. However, as far as being fruit beers go, this should rank amongst the better ones.

11-19-2006 00:16:57 | More by xoqx
Rifugium

First had: on tap at their brewpub

Poured an opaque black with a huge tan head that displayed nice lacing. Really nice aroma of cherry cordial...natural, no cough syrup or cherry candy here. Taste was initially very bready with a huge beautiful hit of black cherries right up front, with a solid, sweet, dark malt base. I know it's difficult to brew a successful blend of fruit with dark beers such as stouts. Several breweries have tried, and not all are good. Even Bells Cherry Stout is a little meh. But this one is definitely done right, and the natural smell and taste just add to its goodness. Smooth and rich, but not quite full-bodied, this is a very drinkable beer.

01-09-2012 21:39:23 | More by Rifugium
PDXHops

South Carolina

3.95/5  rDev +10.3%

On tap, imperial pint. Body is quite black with just a skim of head. Minimal lacing.

Doesn't look like much, but it sure smells good. Very strong cherry mixes and mingles with dark chocolate and roasted malts. Damned tasty, too, with the cherry proving to be an excellent complement to dark and sweet chocolate, roasted malts and a hint of vanilla.

Mouthfeel is thick, with lingering sweet chocolate and cherry at the swallow. Nice brew from a great small brewery.

09-30-2009 14:26:42 | More by PDXHops
oregonskibum

2.08/5  rDev -41.9%

Tasted at a Portland pub that rotates beer frequently, so assume it was fairly fresh. Served in a US shaker pint. Notes from memory only.

A: Appearance is dark black. Because of the full pour, only a very thin tan head was left on top the beer when brought to the table.

S: Sweet cherry syrup dominates, and not in a good way. It smells like I just opened a bottle of marashceno cherries and took a big sniff. Yes, you can make out some faint stout smells, but this is so over the top cherry that everything else is in the background.

T: What a mess. THis is way too sweet. It truly smells like the brewer took their normally solid stout and mixed in several bottles of marascheno cherry juice after fermentation. Roasted malts and coffee are there in the background, but sweet cherry with a hint of cough syrup control the taste from start to finish.

M: Medium body, low carbonation. Generally, the mouthfeel was in-style. However, the sweetness left me thinking that the beer felt a little like syrup, even though it wasn't.

D: The most disappointing Walking Man beer I've had. The cherry was too strong, too sweet, and not well balanced or integrated with the stout. I finished the pint and then was blown away by the next beer (which was just average).

05-01-2010 16:21:01 | More by oregonskibum

3.75/5  rDev +4.7%

07-05-2014 22:41:46 | More by Hampsteroid
DefenCorps

3.83/5  rDev +7%

Ah, my first Walking Man beer. I was hoping it'd be Homo Erectus, but this will do.

Black with a thin, black head that recedes to a thin disk, this looks good. Dark cherry red highlights are visible. The nose is excellent. It marries quite perfectly the combination of roast, rich, ripe black cherries, fragrant and complex, with some dark chocolate and a little licorice. The cherry character is particularly fantastic, as it has all the complexity you'd expect from a black cherry. The palate opens with a blend of fruity cherries and some roast. A mildly acidic (grainy) character appears on the mid-palate and lingers on into the finish. Licorice and chocolate are also present, though the union of chocolate and cherry is a little less harmonious than on the nose. Mild bitterness on the finish, this beer is medium in body and hides the alcohol very, very well. Smooth on the palate, this is a beer I can recommend with no qualifications

08-06-2011 09:09:05 | More by DefenCorps
corylew

4.08/5  rDev +14%

Pours dark brown with some clarity through the corners. Thin bubbly head that takes a little while to die out.

Smelll is my favorite part about this. I applaud the way Walking Man has had the roasted malt overpower the cherry by just a little bit. Let's not forget this is beer. If I wanted a cherry wine cooler, I'd admit to my parents that they raised me wrong and go get one.

Taste follows suit. Beer forefront with cherry background. Definitely a black cherry too, nice tart flavor, not like a fake cherry flavoring usually tastes like

Mouthfeel is good. Not too sweet and heavy that it feels thick but the cherry doesn't over tart from a thin body. If anything Id say it leans a bit far on the thin spectrum but it's pretty darn balanced.

Overall I'm very impressed with this beer. I have every intention of ordering it again when I head back, and will look for it in bottles. It will probably even age well.

11-04-2011 04:02:11 | More by corylew
mcallister

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Black as I've seen. Midnight is commonly used for the depth of this beer. Absolutely opaque and blackhole like but no head and very still.

What a nose. Thick with ripe black cherries covered in dark chocolate. Very in your face with a perceived sweetness.

Silky smooth creamy mouthfeel. Nice bitterness with a thick black cherry middle. Very bitter cocoa thoughout the entire palate but it basically ends there. A good approach that is just barely missing something and things become a little cloying after half a pint.

10-01-2007 23:04:37 | More by mcallister
Kopfschuss

3.25/5  rDev -9.2%

09-13-2012 17:35:49 | More by Kopfschuss
jletts

3.58/5  rDev 0%

Had this one at the Freemont Oktoberfest, so it was served in a small fest-style glass, but I still had no trouble enjoying the strong chocolate-covered-cherry nose. Since it was dark outside I couldn't really examine the color. I found the beer a little thin for a stout but I enjoyed the cocoa and deep cherry flavors up front. Unfortunately due to long lines and the small glass, I feel this beer was not properly tasted. I hope to enjoy a pint soon. After reading some other reviews, I think others may have sampled a bad batch because this beer was not syrupy at all and highly drinkable as a dessert beer. I bet it would work well with a scoop of vanilla as a beer float...

10-07-2006 20:34:52 | More by jletts
anteater

09-20-2013 05:27:40 | More by anteater
beermebeerman

4.4/5  rDev +22.9%

Served on tap at Walking Man.

Very dark beer, small, short lasting head. First smell was cherries, cherries, and chocolate. First taste I was blown away. This is the first fruit stout I've had. I know, not too much experience in this area, but what a way to start it off! I was amazed at how smooth it was. Goes down like heavy whipping cream (yes, I've drank it plain before!). Don't know if the beer travels well, but fresh on tap is incredible.

04-25-2008 03:06:44 | More by beermebeerman
lacqueredmouse

Australia

4.55/5  rDev +27.1%

Had on-tap at the Horse Brass Pub in Portland, OR. Hugh, the bartender told me it's "sweet, but we sell a whole lot of it..."

The first signs are good for me, despite the skeptical tones in Hugh's voice: gorgeous deep black body, with a creamy head of mocha-brown. Lace is fine, but consistent and persistent, leaving wonderful lace. It looks so good, I feel as though it might be a nitro pour. Not sure, though.

Nose is: BIG. Black cherry comes through strongly, giving a refreshing medicinal hint with its poignant biting fruit, above the deep dark maltiness that sits like heavily stewed mudcake underneath. Other notes crop up with marzipan, powdered sugar and fruit compote. Wow. This is an incredible smelling beer. I really love it.

Taste is lighter, but still very good. Smooth, roasty entry that never lets up on the sweetness, with an upswell of black cherry and a mild phenolic medicinal bite. Back palate has bitter almonds, smooth, pithy fruit and a caressing dryness that wraps everything up while still allowing it to express itself. Lovely.

Feel is smooth, but allows a tingle from the cherry to come through.

Overall, I'm wowed. This is amazingly good stuff. I'm a fan of the judicious addition of fruit to stouts, and this is a great example of it. It's drinkable and smooth, but really interesting and complex. I just love it to bits.

07-07-2012 02:14:13 | More by lacqueredmouse
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +25.7%

Black Cherry Stout was served at the Walking Man Brewpub. The beer was black in color and came with a thin dark tan head. Dark cherry accents peeked through at the edges of the glass. The nose was absolutely beeming with wonderful notes of creamy sasparilla, focused cherry, and fresh vanilla....promising of good things to come. On the palate, flavors of black cherry swirled with tasty notes of chocolate and creamy nutty coffee. The beer seemed to release even more dark estery aromatics while drinking it (picked up though retro-olfaction) than smelling it directly. A chocolate-roasty sharpness developed after the initial hit of flavor, leading into a smooth roasted dry cocoa finish that left lingering mildly bitter cherry essence...with almost porter-like qualities. Beautiful flow of flavor...with balance and moderation. The body was superbly composed for the flavors and character of this beer. A wonderfully crafted stout with flair.

04-25-2004 07:11:50 | More by HiroProtagonist
freed

1.45/5  rDev -59.5%

Had this on tap at Horse Brass.

When the waitress said this beer had an aromatic cherry presence, she was right. When she said it didn't have the strong or sweet of a cherry flavor, she was really, really wrong.

The pint arrived quickly, and appeared rather attractive. A deep, almost dirty brown with a mild tan foam capping the top. It appeared to be moderately carbonated.

The aroma was startling, and should have served as a warning. There was little beer to waft over the sharp aroma of cough syrup.

The taste was wretched. It was like the cherry concentrate had all been poured into my glass, but also mixed with anti-freeze. It was nearly impossible to recognize the beverage as a beer due to the acrid taste. I actually like syrupy fruit flavors, but this was horrible.

After 4 sips on my own and a second opinion from my wife, I ordered another beer. Thank god for Racer 5.

06-26-2004 07:36:19 | More by freed
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

3.43/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Henry's in Portland. This is an after dinner stout because the cherry taste and nose is quite strong in fact it smells like chocolate covered maraschinos. The beer is smooth and well made but the cherry notes can become at little much after awhile. Pairs well with desserts.

07-22-2008 00:20:02 | More by canucklehead
TheStove

3.23/5  rDev -9.8%

Had on tap at Bottleworks in Seattle.

Pours dark black/brown, not quite motor oil but definitely dark. Not much foam or head but I wasn't sure if this was because of the pour or the beer.

Heavy cherry scent on first whiff. The toasted malts also come through secondary. First sip confirms that of the smell. This is a bit of an odd brew. The cherry is definitely the guest honor in terms of flavor when sipping this one however it is almost as if the cherry flavor is more reminiscent of candy than actual cherries. The sip progresses to a more muted and deep cherry flavor, almost as if somehow the malts were infused with cherry as well. This gives way to some heavy bitterness, either due to some heavily toasted malts or hop dosage I'm not sure but it's an interesting juxtaposition of flavors; candy cherry to bitter. Further sips reveal light cocoa notes at the end of each sip.

An interesting stout. Definitely not my favorite and I think it stands behind Bell's Cherry Stout but I like the contrast of candy cherry with the bitter malt and hop finish. I think I would enjoy this one much more if the cherry flavor was a bit more natural and the finish less bitter. In either case, an enjoyable brew but not top tier.

09-09-2010 08:53:51 | More by TheStove
msubulldog25

4.05/5  rDev +13.1%

I had this beer on tap at Rose & Raindrop in Portland, OR on a perfectly rainy, miserable Sunday in October. Imperial pint glass pour.

A: Jet black stout with a spongy/creamy 1-1/2 finger high tan head. Clumpy but consistent lacing.

S: MMM...cherries! Rich ripe cherries, very juicy. The smell wafted from the glass when it arrived. Whenever it subsided, I'd agitate the glass some more and let that sweet smell rise again. Wonderful, I didn't find it to be 'artificial' or 'medician' smelling at all. Yum.

T: Hmmm...not quite as good as I'd hoped for. Cherry flavor is pretty subdued. A robust, moderately bitter stout, with flavors of dark roasted malt, citrus hops and coffe beans is what I get. Mild cherry/fruit in the finish with a light sourness and some alcohol warmth.

M: Chewy and full mouthfeel. Fairly heavily carbonated, so the flavors that linger seem to cling and tingle a little.

D: Likable, bordering on lovable. I enjoy the bold beers that Walking Man brews - this is a nice example of a well-crafted, interesting stout from what is one of the NW's top breweries IMO. Not my favorite from their line-up, but definitely not one to be missed either. Absolutely worthy of a try.

10-15-2006 19:43:52 | More by msubulldog25
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Black Cherry Stout from Walking Man Brewing Co.