Bert Grant's IPA - Yakima Brewing Co. / Bert Grant's Ales

poor

Yakima Brewing Co. / Bert Grant's Ales
Washington, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  4.20% ABV

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 09-06-1998)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bert Grant's IPA Alström Bros
ken3c

2.88/5  rDev -7.1%

"A faithful reproduction of the famous 19th century pale ale"

Light Yellow. Small head. No lacing. Very clear. I would think that a "reproduction" would be closer to copper colored and hazy. The small head is probably accurate.

A little bit of hop smell. From what I've read, an original IPA would have been quite aromatic.

Much stronger taste than smell but not any more than any Pale Ale I've had.

Mouthfeel is close to medium which seems odd with such a light color. Very little carbonation, which is probably accurately historical.

Drinkability: I'll have another, but I wouldn't if I had something better.

This beer would be better if it were closer in color and aromatic hops to the historic beer. It would also be better if it had a bit more carbonation and taste.

08-13-2004 02:49:27 | More by ken3c
TongoRad

2.6/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a pale amber, slightly hazy, with a 1" dense white head.

The bouquet has problems- there's some spice and faux lemony qualities that take some searching to find- and it's not worth the effort. There's some pale caramel there as well. The total effect comes across as unpleasantly resiny.

Sweet caramel malt dominates the flavor with a nice lingering hop bitterness and more citrusy characteristics.

This could be a decent beer with some major work to its aromatic qualities, but not worth the effort as it is.

08-02-2004 18:22:22 | More by TongoRad
GnomeKing

1.98/5  rDev -36.1%

This beer is so thin and clear, you can see through a glass of it. I sat in front of my computer when drinking it. When I held it up to the monitor, I could almost read all of the words in my document. There were very few carbonation bubbles. Things didn't get better once I drank it. Unless I read the label, I would have guessed that this was an American Pils/Lager, and a macro one at that. What was the company thinking?

07-23-2004 03:39:10 | More by GnomeKing
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

This is not a bad beer. However, it is "off--style". If you are looking for the kind of flavor you get from Hop Devil, Pyramid IPA or your local brewpub's version (or any American IPA), you won't find it here. It's more like a Fuller's or Sam Smith's IPA in flavor but with a lighter color. This beer looks and tastes more like a highly hopped pale lager.

Yellow European lager color and white head that falls to a thin layer and leave a little lacing. Aroma is mostly sweet pale malt (rather than the hop domination you get from other US IPA's). Flavor is malty with a generous portion of bittering hops. It is well balanced, dry and refreshing. Finishes with a pleasing bitterness and spicy hop flavor with lingering malt notes. A tasty, enjoyable beer...BUT...it is not true to style. It's matches modern English IPAs in bitterness but still off the mark on color, alcohol and body.

07-18-2004 19:55:32 | More by EagleTalon
beertaster13

Washington

2.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Is this an IPA? Pours a very light yellow, lager like with a fairly nice head that lasts throughout. The lacing is average. Smell is of slight earth tones, hops are detected but fairly clean. The taste is odd, you get a slight hop and grain taste. Very light like a lager with the hops being so distant in taste, doesn't seem like an IPA. A light bodied IPA and I don't know if I will ever have this again. Very dissapointed.

07-11-2004 06:14:13 | More by beertaster13
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.13/5  rDev +1%

Doesn't really look like an IPA to my eye, or even like a pale ale for that matter. Looks like a lager. The color is the very definition of medium amber and it's clear with very little visible carbonation. The head is a bit darker than pure white, but is decently stiff with a pocky surface and is leaving a good amount of lace. I'll bump up the appearance score a little due to the nice lace.

Smells like a strongly hopped lager or a weakly hopped pale ale. IPA? I don't think so. The label says that Cascade (and Galena) hops were used to brew this, but I'll be damned if I can pick out the Cascade. Smells more like Fuggles or some 'English' variety of hops to me. So far I'm not impressed.

Calling this an IPA, even an English IPA, is a bit of a stretch IMO. There is a fair amount of bittering, so they were somewhat generous with the hops, but the hop flavor is awol for the most part. Again, where are the Cascade? Not much malt here either, which may have saved it. This is mostly bitter and tongue-parchingly dry with a little herbal hop flavor. In fact, it's the first non-dark beer that has reminded me of tea dregs, you know, the last few swallows of really strong, unsweetened tea that are bitter/herbal. The mouthfeel is on the thin side for an IPA which seals the deal on mediocrity.

Grant's was going for an authentic English IPA, but didn't hit the mark (not even close really). There are hundreds of better India Pale Ales out there. Give this one a pass.

07-04-2004 14:21:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
feloniousmonk

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Light golden, apricottish color, with a fine fluff of chalk-white foam on top.
Aroma, wide-open, airy...which is my way of saying "I ain't gettin' nothin', y'all!"...I'll flare the nostrils further!...a faint, barely perceptible citric character, but it's practically non-existent!
Taste: damp cardboard. No hop bitterness, only the barest flavor, a sad shadow of a lemony/orange flavor, a brief, nearly bright fruity flavor, then nothing. Little true hop character, very light in body, limp in ...hell, everything! This is one of those weary, disappointing moments, for I've enjoyed many fine ales from this brewery in years gone by, but this is no IPA, and whoever's in charge has no business pretending that it is!
A sad, sad state of affairs!
It's hard for me to rank a reputed craft-brewer, heck, craft beer legend, so low, but this falls so short in so many respects, I have no choice...belongs on the bottom tier of American craft-brew IPAs, but, take some consolation in that that still puts this far and about so many other beers in the world, for what it's worth!

...and thanks to JohnnyDuvel for procurement of the bottle!

06-13-2004 10:38:24 | More by feloniousmonk
BitteBier

Indiana

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Pours an uninspiring clear, pale straw color I've not seen in this style. A decent amount of foam that breaks down into a substantial, clingy lace. Nose is rather nondescript--some pleasant sweetness but minimal hoppiness. Taste reminds me of drinking orange juice after having just brushed my teeth--sweetness competing with stronger bitterness. The bitterness is not inappropriate, but balance is lacking.

06-06-2004 19:54:15 | More by BitteBier
HochFliegen

Oregon

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

When I poured this beer I wasnt quite sure what to think. It was an unusually pale yellow for an IPA. It had a thin head that didnt lace very well. Very little aroma was somewhat floral.
The hop flavor was very much floral with a hint of apple in there. I thought it was a powerful taste that lasted and in the end was a bit dry and not quite as bitter as I would have hoped for.

05-19-2004 04:17:52 | More by HochFliegen
LuckySevens82

2.05/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours an interesting golden color for an IPA. There is little to no head.
Smell is very odd for an IPA as well, there are almost no hops in the nose, it smells like malt, but not in a good way.
Taste is (and I don't use this term lightly) terrible. While I am aware this is supposed to be a traditional IPA, this is just bad. The upfront flavor is akin to seltzer water (which I hate). Hops are present but only in the finish. There is a distinct buttery taste in there as well.
The whole beer feels like alcoholic seltzer to me. I do not like this and will not try it again.

04-21-2004 02:08:35 | More by LuckySevens82
Suds

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a pale golden yellow color with a thin, wispy (but sticky) head. The aroma is of a dominant, but restrained, floral, earthy, musty hoppiness. A polite IPA? A touch of fruit and grain in the nose. Very slight sweetness up front, that is quickly swept away by a dryness. Carbonic, somewhat spicy, herbal, a tad medicinal. Seems a bit thin. The first sips seem well rounded, but as you work through the beer, it turns to a watery, light mouthfeel. Finish is crisp, clean, and bitter. It’s unquestionably easy to drink. Also, it’s nice to see a break from the overpowered west-coast IPA’s. Still, it’s a little under-powered.

04-19-2004 00:37:04 | More by Suds
pheurton

2.83/5  rDev -8.7%

clear golden straw color topped with a frothy white head. head really just disappears and leaves little lace. light herbal hop nose with a bit of malt sweetness. steady carbonation, light to almost medium bodied. splash of grain and sweet malt flavor yield to an overwhelmingly herbal hop flavor. super dry from the hop bitterness, which is not always pleasant. rather easy drinking if you enjoy the flavors, which is arguable in my book.

the color of miller lite at 4.2% ABV, this beer just does not stack up to most any other IPA i've had, english style or not. drinkable if you can get past the overwhelming herbal hop flavor. not something i would seek out again.

03-22-2004 14:32:28 | More by pheurton
Reidrover

Oregon

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

OK I am usually a fan of Bert Grant's..so when I read the many not so good reviews I was sure everyone was wrong..so here goes 22 oz brown bomber.
Appearance??? this is meant to be an IPA.??.it looks like a Golden/Blonde ale!!..pale gold with a tiny head..off style.
The aroma is of hops..but very weak and near overpowered by faint malts.
This has gotta be some sort of joke..the taste is nowere near an IPA..in fact it remeinds me of Henry Weinhards Northwest Trail..which is a blonde.Its just insipid.
Mouthfeel at least is average.
Its drinkable..but Im very sad..this is the worst beer Bert Grants does.

03-19-2004 02:48:59 | More by Reidrover
merlin48

Kentucky

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a clear, pale yellow, with an offwhite head that quickly falls into some foam around the fringes. Not much of an aroma, other than some piney hops. Mouthfeel has medium carbonation, and a moderate hops bite. Carbonation splashes some bitter, pine hops on the palate, but that's about it. Finishes dry and bitter. Crisp and refreshing enough to drink a couple, but SNPA is much better.

03-02-2004 00:50:12 | More by merlin48
rajendra82

Georgia

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured out clear pale yellow with a one inch thick head. The looks are very watered down and unlike a beer with a strength to survive the long voyage across the ocean. There are no hops discernible in the aroma. This is no excuse of a smell for an IPA. I think it’s going to be bad. I take a sip, and I am surprised by the zip of hop bitterness, and the persistence of it in the aftertaste. The taste is very heavily hops, with a light malt backing, which is typical for many West Coast IPAs. Very dry and snappy, and quite quaffable on a hot summer day. If they had put some aromatic hops, and some sweeter malt in there, I think, it’d have been better.

02-29-2004 04:14:27 | More by rajendra82
Zorro

2.05/5  rDev -33.9%

Pours a clear light gold, doesn't look like an IPA.

Smell is mildly of hops, and that is about it.

Taste is under welming; there is a lingering bitterness. Take Budweiser; add a bitter twang and that is what you have here.

Mouthfeel is light.

Not real drinkable, Budweiser beats this I'm afraid.

02-17-2004 01:42:27 | More by Zorro
bditty187

Nebraska

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

Clear golden-yellow hue, very light in color for an IPA, the white head hardly reached a half a finger in height before fading to a tiny cap of bubbles. The lacing was minimal and spotty but present. In my option the appearance of this IPA is sub-par. The nose is clean and vaguely hoppy. IPA? My ass. The palate is not hoppy like and IPA, not even for an interpretation of 19th Century British IPA. Cascade hops are used by the way. I found the hops to be a little cheesy, the caramel malt is noticeable but I don’t think they work well in conjunction and it is a little off-centered. It is drinkable enough and the low abv allows the user to session with it, but I can’t see myself purchasing six-packs of this one in the future. Medium in body, good crisp, biting carbonation, the mouthfeel is respectable. I purchased a 12-ounce bottle in Iowa City for $1.40. One is enough for me, more for you?

02-15-2004 17:04:56 | More by bditty187
zerk

2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

Very pale straw color, clear with a thin white head... my initial reaction is... this is an IPA? Aroma of toasted malt with a touch of earthy hops. Flavor is a very subdued mix of grainy flavors, some toasted malt, and a lingering and very pronounced herbal bitterness. Mouthfeel is watery and highly carbonated. My initial reaction, and question is still valid as I finish this beer... this is an IPA? I don't think so. I also don't find it to be a very enjoyable brew regardless of the style.

02-07-2004 01:07:46 | More by zerk
RoyalT

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance – Light yellow and clear in the body with a hint of orange and some active carbonation. The head came up nicely and went down slow.

Smell – The unpromising aroma of grain greets the nose first followed by some smallish floral hops.

Taste – The hops are certainly in the background here, although a small hint of pine helps this one along. Otherwise, it’s standard American macro grain, although this is a notch above a Bud or Miller.

Mouthfeel – Extremely dry with some light carbonation. This one was a little thin for my preferences, but the ultra dry mouthfeel made it palatable.

Drinkability – I’ll finish but won’t buy again.

01-22-2004 01:30:04 | More by RoyalT
JohnnyDuvel

3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

I like Bert Grant's beers. They will never rate among my favorites, as they are usually thin and relatively low in ABV. The thing is, I really like the taste of their beers. This one follows that formula. Lots of hops, nice flavor, but quite a bit thinner and more watery than any IPA's I've had. This is a good ale, not an IPA. I would have no problem drinking a few down, however, and I feel that way about every Grant beer I've tried.

01-18-2004 05:22:27 | More by JohnnyDuvel
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Appearance: Golden amber copper hue with a nice vibrant white head leaves behind thick bands of lacing very nice looking brew. Aroma: Thick layers of citrus scented and floral hops with a grassy malt backbone leaves me with a wow experience different flavors not sure if the hops here blend with the malts. Taste: Overally bitter flavor caramel malts taste a bit stale with no bes by date the hops are piney and earhty a mix that leads to blah. Mouthfeel: Meidium bodied ale with decent carbonation I am left unfulfilled by this brew. Drinkability: I must try a fresher example of this brew this one just seems a tad off from deserving true good reviews.

01-17-2004 23:56:37 | More by WVbeergeek
clvand0

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer pours a golden color with a small head and leaves little lacing on the glass.The aroma was very hoppy, with a bread-like feel. The flavor was light and hoppy, but much more smooth than expected. It's a little thin, but not to an extreme. This is a pretty decent beer.

01-16-2004 18:57:44 | More by clvand0
AtLagerHeads

3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

The golden body is topped too briefly by a single finger of creamy white foam; fortunately the residual layer fights on and laces with amazing effect from the small layer. The nose is hoppy, mostly herbal and has some real strength. The flavor is about the hops - less citrusy than most IPAs but thoroughly bittering to the palate. Actually quite nice and refreshing. A good solid body finishes the experience and creates a crisp finish. Good drinkability. Along English IPA lines.

12-26-2003 00:43:37 | More by AtLagerHeads
stoutman

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

A frothy white head lasts a while. Citric (grapefruit) and piney hops are light for an IPA. Light bread malt flavor and no discernable yeast profile. Lightly sweet upfront with the typical moderately bitter hop finish. Grainy, almost corn-like aftertaste. Medium light body has a watery texture and soft carbonation. The flavor seems very watered down copared to other IPAs on the market.

12-06-2003 03:17:50 | More by stoutman
grynder33

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Cloudy gold orangish color, little to no head Wonderful hoppy aroma. First taste is strictly hop bitterness, and this basicaly becomes the predominant feature the rest of the way.It's a little too one dimensional even for an IPA, could be a little fuller and more complex.

11-26-2003 00:36:53 | More by grynder33