Bir Bintang Pilsner - Bintang

poor

Bintang
Indonesia

American Adjunct Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-19-2001)
4.03/5  rDev +55%

I was on a four country business trip, Indonesia being the fourth, and aside from a brewpub in Singapore, hadn't had any beer that caught my attention until I tried Bintang. I had it from a bottle and poured it into a pilsner glass. The look was classica plisner golden, the smell slightly hoppy, as expected, but the taste a bit more complex than the other regional beers I had (Tiger, Singah, San Miguel). All were drinkable, but this one had a bit more hop character than the rest. It didn't make me think I had been transported to the Czech Republic, but it did comfort me with the knowledge that I would be ok beer-wise while in Jakarta.

RedBeerchetta, Apr 19, 2007
3.05/5  rDev +17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A crystal clear mid gold insipid looking beer , with very low level of carbonation.
Flat , metallic macro lager smell that is not very enticing.
The flavour is rounded smooth and sweet.There is little variety and little bitterness. What is there is pleasant but is uncomplicated .
Despite the watery smell it is a thickish oily mouthfeel.
This is a hot day quaffing beer. Better than some and worse than many.If I was in Indonesia (highly unlikely0 then I would be happy enough to be drinking this but not excited by it

jarmby1711, Sep 07, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -21.2%

Appearance: Light golden colour with a very low amount of large bubbles. Rapidly dissipating head. I can imagine if this were poured into anything but a pilsner glass you would have no head in a matter of seconds.

Smell: mild saaz hops. Small amount of oily aroma. Some malt sweetness there too.

Taste/ Mouthfeel: Very watery and bland. Some malt sweetness and mild watered down hops. A little bitterness at the end on the edges of the palate. Carbonation is extreme and so prominent that you almost can’t hold it in your mouth. Some corn and grain but not great.

Drinkability/Overall: Not easy to drink. A very bland and lackadaisical attempt at a great beer style. This one does it no credit.

Finite, Dec 20, 2005
1.48/5  rDev -43.1%

Green 330mL bottle, stating on the label "Best served with -friends-". How nice. Guess they had to say that because it would spoil any food it was consumed with. Best before Oct 2005.

Appearance: Very pale yellow with little carbonation, head retention and lacing. Reminds me of that other classic Asian beer, Yanjing.

Smell: Fairly repugnant. Adjuncts, corn, skunky hops, stuff that shouldn't be in beer. Smells cheap and third-worldly.

Taste: Better than the smell but not by much. Skunky hops - these shouldn't show up in a beer that hasn't had to travel far or for very long to get here (Indonesia is Australia's nearest neighbour). Weird soapy taste, kind of like detergent... bear in mind I just had a Weissbier out of this glass, and didn't use detergent when I rinsed it. Corn, I suppose... nothing really to identify there. Not altogether disgusting, but pretty bad. I've had worse Asian yellow macro lagers (see above).

Mouthfeel: Soapy, sticky and thin. Nothing redeeming.

Drinkability: Well... served really cold, when it's really hot and humid... in Indonesia... it might pass but otherwise I wouldn't drink too many of these. This is on a par with regular Australian macros but are at the price of a boutique import.

Notes: This is certainly not a German pilsener... like none I've ever had. However, it's much like a lot of other Asian macros, for example 333 from Vietnam, Yanjing & Shanghai from China, Taj Mahal from India etc. Why are these beers all in their own category? They are like a boutique macro - a classy-looking beer that tastes slightly better than ordinary macro swill, but obviously aimed at the tourist market in Asia. Mass-produced beer for the rich.

Amusing proof of this that I just noticed is three gold medals, flanked by wreaths: upon closer inspection, they are not real awards at all (as if I'm surprised). The three little gold circles say "Monde selection - Selection de la qualite". If that really is an award, it must have been invented just to give to this beer. Yep, strictly for the Bali tourist market: it is, after all, "International Quality".

Weizenmensch, Sep 10, 2005
3.03/5  rDev +16.5%

Bottled

Pours with a light yellow body, fizzy yellow head with good retention

Smell, grainy, some hint of corn

Taste, fairly crisp mouthfeel, some slight hop bitterness, bit of grain

I had this in a fantastic indonesian restaurant and it went fairly well with the hot food but i couldnt see myself buying it

cypressbob, Jul 29, 2005
2.9/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer's label states it's "Best served with friends" but I lament to be drinking it by myself. Does that mean it's not at its best?? Perhaps if others were drinking it with me its score would increase. Maybe not though.

I was not wowed by this beer's looks...although no words come to mind--so perhaps I am wowed.

Nice malt presence in the mouth, giving it a Czech-style flair. Scant hops, clean finish. A pretty boring taste all in all though.

The carbonation is pretty good, which is my favorite part of this drink--sharp on the tongue with a nice, soft fizzling-out sensation in the throat. I would give it an above-average drinkability as well. The Bali Hai, also from Indonesia, was a much better brew I thought.

donnebaby, Mar 24, 2004
1.5/5  rDev -42.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Bintang, from Indonesia: From the light green bottle to the star on the label, this beer screams out Heineken. No wonder, as the brewery is affiliated with Heinie. Extreme skunk aroma, even though this was purchased in Hong Kong, and was as fresh a bottle as you’ll ever see. The head, what there was of it, disappeared, leaving little if any on the beer. The beer itself was mostly flavorless, dominated solely by that euro-skunk taste. No redeeming qualities whatsoever.

jackndan, Aug 19, 2002
3.75/5  rDev +44.2%

A decent pilsener that's refreshing and thirst quenching. Quaffed plenty of these while in Jakarta.

John, Oct 19, 2001