Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale - Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery

good

Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery visit their website
Japan

English Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Brown ale brewed with brown rice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
4.33/5  rDev +18.6%

A - Pours with three fingers of white foam on top of a hazy, copper colored body. The head slowly dissipates and leaves nice lace on the glass.

S - Spicy yeast notes of clove and pineapple with some bready malt and a bit of tart funk.

T - Spicy wheat up front with some pineapple yeast character. Funky notes of wet earth and more tropical fruit in the middle. A light note of clove leads into the finish with some dry toasty malt and light acidity.

M - Medium-thick body, high carbonation, and a fairly dry finish.

D - English Brown... yeah, not so much. Even if is wasn't funky, it isn't brown, but whatever you want to call it, it is a pretty interesting brew. The malt character is bready with just a little bit of dry toffee character that reminds me of a good Belgian Golden. This impression is enhanced by the subtle wild yeast character. There is nothing on the label to indicate that it is intended to be a sour beer, but it works so well that I have to assume it is intentional.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a goblet with my AMANDEBATES. Bought at Lush on south Halsted in Chicago.

A - High head no matter how slow I poured it diminishing. Cloudy and with some sediment. It... is not a looker. But ... it's brown.

S - Anise and licorice, with some hop spiciness. I would have expected this was a beer spiced with cuminseed and mustard leaves. I don't know is in this thing. Whoa.

T - Cumin. Hops. Grain sweetness. Pungent spicy flavors. This is a very complex, tasty beer. It claims to be malt, hops, yeast and water, but I taste something more than the sum of its parts. Really worth a try just for this,, but it's pretty delicious.

M - Sharp carbonation is a little oveer the top. Hop and spice levels make this hard to handle.

D - This is one of those beers that's good enough unique enough where you don't even think about things like alcohol content.

Definitely interesting.

4.25/5  rDev +16.4%

4.11/5  rDev +12.6%

Gushed foam on opening and poured an initial glass of foam that settled into a murky amber color with a three finger white, fluffy head that was slow to dissipate. It looks excellent once settled, like a good Belgian ale. Scents of brett sourness, with undertones of caramel, some wine like aromas, a slight metallic tang, sour fruit and slight earthy aromas. An incredibly unique aroma, not at all what I was expecting, a very original ale with a very Belgian sour aroma. Quite nice. Flavor begins with a sour funk and a somewhat sweet caramel malt and earthy base, along with what I can only call Belgian yeast spiciness. This carries through into the finish where it is joined by a toasted rice flavor. There is also a slight bitterness in the background. A very unique flavor profile, quite unlike anything I have had, though reminiscent of Belgian sours in some ways. The genmai really changes the beer though and adds unique toasted rice flavors that are quite welcome and work with the sour, wild yeast character. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a smooth, creamy feel and moderate, yet soft, carbonation. A very easy to drink beer as a result and it goes down quite smooth. Overall this is a good, very unique beer. The wild aroma and flavor work with the toasted rice to create a beer unlike any I have had. It's refreshing, easy to drink and unique in flavor. Recommended.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Picked up on a whim from Julios. I enjoy drinking genmaicha so I wanted to give this a go. Really glad I tried this.

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip. I can happily say there was no massive volcano with my bottle upon opening, though, no matter how slow I poured a massive three finger fluffy head that dissolved somewhat fast. That being said, a quarter inch thick blanket remained throughout the drink. This head sat atop what was a nearly crystal clear dark brownish orange, though a little sediment got in and quickly clouded it up.

S - Somewhat confusing. There are nice citrus notes, oranges and such. Getting a little hop aroma and the brown rice is there in the background too.

T - Wow, this stuff is deliciously weird. Initially there is that orange/citrus aspect, along with some spicy malt characters and then WHAM I've got a mouthfull of roasted brown rice. This is crazy, its like drinking a cold glass of genmaicha.

M - This really kills this beer. Now, I do enjoy nice carbonation with my beer, but this is way too much. Very high carbonation, fountain drink level of carbonation. It distracts and detracts from the brew.

D - I really, really enjoyed this. Do I think "enlglish pale ale" when I drink this? Not even close as far as I'm concerned. That being said this is definately a genmai ale. If you buy this looking for a epa then you will most certainly be let down, however, if you buy this based on the concept...based on the "Oh, this will hopefully taste like Genmaicha?" then you will certainly get your moneys worth. I would definately buy this again, though would be nervous of getting an infected bottle or a volcano.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Not bad, not bad. Had no idea what to expect, really. Poured with a nice sized foamy frothy thick cream colored head and some lace. Color is a hazy medium dark amber. Aroma is a bit sour, malty spicey floral and earth. Flavor's like aroma with the odd brown rice (I guess) flav that is in there. Actually works quite well. Good body and great carbonation. Finish is like flavor and strangely seems a little boozy. Refreshing and easy drinking. A fun brew. Session for sure

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

"Knowledge without wisdom is a load of books on the back of an ass."

--Japanese proverb

Ripe apricot orange with honeybee colored highlights. The pour produced half a glass full of foam that is lightly toasted marshmallow in hue. It's pretty sticky too and is decorating all available surfaces in fine fashion.

The nose is interesting in that this brew smells like a brown ale. I've never run across a beer this light in color that smelled this dark (relatively speaking). Mild cocoa notes and musky hops dominate. Maybe it's the roasted brown rice.

Genmai is a type of brown rice that becomes something called arare when it's roasted. That isn't a typical ingredient in beer, but then Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten isn't Sierra Nevada or Goose Island. In any case, it isn't that wild and crazy... and it works very well.

The flavor profile is strikingly similar to the flavor profile of a well-brewed American brown ale. It makes sense that roasting rice would be similar to roasting barley since they're both grains. Other than cocoa powder, we have roasted coffee beans, musky-earthy hops and a nonspecific fruitiness from the ale yeast.

The mouthfeel is fine and dandy for a 5.1% ABV. Actually, the silky creaminess and near perfect carbonation is tempting me to pull the trigger on the next highest score.

Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale is both delicious and interesting... but it isn't an English pale ale. It's a true original from the Land of the Rising Sun. A purchase price of $8.39 is pretty steep, but I love it when out-of-the-box ingredients result in good, drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Never heard of this beer or brewery, but being a big fan of Genmaicha (toasted rice tea) I had to grab a bottle.

s- Orval-like tart aroma, faint grassy and floral hops, a faint spicy note, a bit of a brown rice aroma but it's buried as expected. Faint tartness.

a- a nice deep and substantial amber with a creamy off-white head. rather pleasant to look at.

t- well this is something. the toasted brown rice comes on a lot stronger on the palate. it is very much like freshly brewed genmaicha mixed with a toned down Orval. floral, grassy hops are only present in the finish. Very interesting combination of flavors here. I'd prefer not to see so much tartness, but I have my doubts as to how intentional it was.

m- about exactly what I'd expect from a combination of tea and beer. slightly more substantial than water, with only a faint, lightly tickling carbonation. Not exciting, but pleasant.

d- It's weird. This beer is bending my sense of how to analyze it. Normally I don't want the same thing from beer as I do from tea, but this just works, much in the way that a good toasted rice tea does. The tart, Orval-like flavors are likely due to infection, but I daresay it doesn't work entirely against this beer. An interesting beer to sip, and refreshing, but if you don't like the idea of toasted rice tea mixed with Orval then it might not be your thing. I enjoyed it.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle from Brix in Omaha, NE
No bottled on date evident
Poured into a New Belgium globe glass

The Genmai Ale is an interesting toasted brown rice ale in the Ise Kadoya Brewery's portfolio. It offers unique characteristics of Japanese toasted brown rice, pineapple, and wild yeast funk that meld together into an at first awkward, but gradually quite palatable combination. Unique and interesting enough to be something to keep an eye out for and pick up a bottle again if seen.

As others have pointed out, this is a gusher of a bottle, so open it over the sink and have your glass immediately ready.

Pours a very creamy off-white head that is perpetually present during the entire time I am drinking this beer, declining to about a 0.5cm cap and leaving good lacing. Body is golden yellow-brown in color, cloudy, but some carbonation is still visible.

Aromas of dust, roasted brown rice (genmai tea), apparent wild yeast character (funk), slightly medicinal scents, faint pineapple. The funk is slightly off-putting with the rest of these elements, but I grew to enjoy it during the course of the beer.

Tasting offers pineapple, toasted brown rice (again, genmai tea), caramel malt, wild yeast elements (funk), and a bit of vague spiciness. Nice aftertaste of toasted brown rice and slight bitterness. The taste was interesting, complex, and featured rice fairly prominently, as advertised.

Mouthfeel is creamy in the back, like a stout or porter. Medium-light in body with soft, though generous, carbonation leading to this creamy mouthfeel.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

This is a bit of an odd-ball beer. Not that it's bad or bland, just that it's compenents make the whole a bit of a mutt in the style world.

When opened this beer volcanoed a frothy head. Had to quick pour to get it in the glass. Yet in the glass the head was about medium size and fluffiness. Fairly sticky lacing as the dark peach colored beer drank.

Aroma is grainy, earthy and some citrus. Some sweet caramel or light chocolate come and go, hard to pin down. Would almost call it pine-like, but it just doesn't quite get there.

Flavors are earthy and spicy. the citrus provides some 'greeness' to the overall taste. A bit smoky. Seems like an 'extreme' EPA if we want to stick to that style. A full body feel, nice sharpness.

Pretty good drinking. I thought the aftertaste would be BMC-like...everytime I hear rice in beer I think that...but it was quite dry and cleansing.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

I purchased this at State Line liquors in Elkton, MD. poured chilled into a tulip.

A - Dark golden/pale shade w/ neverending thick white cap. The bead is fine + retention is lasting. The beer has translucent clarity

S - Smell is of grain but toasted rice in particular, like soba buckwheat tea w/ a mild pale malt and hop aroma in the background

M - A nice crisp bitterness alongside toasted rice feel w/ clean dry finish. A mellow alcohol and moderately seltzer like carbonation

T - While the nose and feel are both very good, some of the brown rice and beer flavor gets lost with the high carbonation level. It has a mild toasted rice taste and slight bitterness but it is pretty mild tasting IMO w/ light malt flavors and generally standard hops to balance w/ dry clean flavors overall

D - A refreshing and fresh tasting beer w/ subtle taste of rice, fits the style ok, I would probably choose this for a warm day or paired w/ duck or fatty fish like salmon.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

As a big fan of genmai, I'm really interested to try this beer. Poured into a tulip. Billowing head, color to the amber side of golden and nicely hazed, outstanding lacing.

Aroma is floral, actually rather aggressively so. Green tea, and lemony too, I'm guessing this is due to the hops used...Sorachi Ace? I don't know, but I'll go ahead and hazard a guess.

On the palate, almost tastes like a lighter Orval with hints of toasted rice - I echo one of the BAs below me here. Light Brett, if that's possible. Lemony, flowery hops and a mild malt bill. The toasted rice adds a little complexity, a ghost-like smoky chocolate, almost. If we are indeed calling this an English Pale Ale, it's a flavorful one.

My only real complaint is that it's a bit overcarbonated. The bubbles are large and it's very burpy. Light bodied with a lot of crackle and pop.

Cool beer and worth a try, especially if you are looking for flavorful lower-ABV beers (I always am). I can imagine it being an excellent table beer as well. A well-executed experimental beer....at least for those of us in the USA. I have no idea if genmai is a typical beer ingredient in Japan, but it wouldn't surprise me at all.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- cloudy orangy, copper color. Starts off with a 2 1/2 finger foamy head, but it dies to a fine rim around the glass. It's got a bit of sediment. Dosn't look like any brown ale I've ever had. Nothing too fantastic, but it's different for sure.

S- There's a definite wine kind of scent. There is also a Belgian funky, yeasty type smell. Earthy overall I'd say.

T- Belgian yeast earthy, funkiness. Tart, but not tremendously sour. It's very similar to an un-oaked, lighter red wine (not sure which variety, I'm not a wine person really). No real discernable hop presence here at all. Can't say this is brown ale like at all! It reminded me more of a saison or some kind of Belgian golden ale.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Pretty well carbonated. Finishes dry and tart. Its to me somewhere between drinkable and a sipper. I don't think it's hard to drink at all.

Overall I'm extremely surprised this came from Japan. It's got a lot in common with Belgian ales. It's got tartness and earthiness. I enjoyed how it was like wine with more beer type qualities. If for some crazy reason you see this beer in your local store, go get it and try it.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Golden-red with a super thick, creamy white head that fades very slowly. Looks quite refreshing...
Smell is tart and grainy, with some interesting herbal aromas. Brown rice and some grassy notes as well.
Taste is slightly tart notes, with some very mild, brett-like funk. Certain grainy aspect that I attribute to the rice that is used. Tiny hints of ginger and some clove. Taste overall seems a bit watered down.
Mouthfeel is crisp and dry. Light body, decent level of carbonation.
Drinkability is good. Interesting enough beer that is quite refreshing.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

First of all, a word of caution : This bottle is a monster volcano upon opening even if chilled. I had to do the emergency sprint to hold the bottle over the sink. The carbonation is either out of control or there isn't enough head space in the unusually slender neck of this bottle. If I had to bet, though, I would put money on a combination of these two factors.

If I understand correctly, genmai is a form of toasted brown rice which is than added to some kind of traditional tea. This ought to be interesting...

Pours cloudy deep amber with golden highlights around the edges of the glass. There is quite a bit of sediment, but it is not excessive in my book. The carbonation is a freak of nature, I could only gingerly fill my pint glass half way before that foam monster came roaring all the way up to the top. However, that being said, the monster is short lived and doesn't hold up well beyond a minute or two. And it doesn't leave any lacing, either.

At first bottle opening there is a one-time-only temporary Lacto-sour whiff which leaves five minutes later never to return. The nose is dank, earthy, and does indeed smell like my kitchen does when I cook brown rice. There is a minor tinge of some kind of hopping in the background, but it is unclear and muddled beneath the toasted rice smell. I'd say this needs either a portion more of hopping or that my bottle is one step too old and the hops have turned.

The taste is mostly musty rice. Very musty, like a basement used for rice storage. Also there is a lot of yeasty bread and orange peels, which surprised the hell out of me because I couldn't find them in the nose. The earthiness, however, is definitely present and accounted for. Somebody else who reviewed this really hit the nail on the head when they talked about cumin, there are spicy notes flying around everywhere in my mouth but the most easily identifiable one is cumin spice both on the front and on the aftertaste of the sip. Sometimes I am picking up this interesting celery-like aromatic flavor note. It is worth mentioning that there is a hell of a lot of flavor packed into this beer despite an ABV of only 5.1%.

Unfortunately, the mouth feel is partially ruined if you try to drink this right away, the foam will spurt out of your nostrils and ears! So crazy carbonated that it becomes a negative. Wait five minutes until it goes flat and than it becomes enjoyable. Medium bodied, chewy, and filling. An curious sipper, which has rekindled anew my growing interest in exploring brews that use rice malts.

3.68/5  rDev +0.8%

500ml brown bottle. no date or batch code found. tasted in late may 2009. poured into shaped pint glass.

golden copper w amber tint. clear on first pours (sediment decanted). 1-finger off-white head, fades to constant thin layer. splotchy lacing, sparse at first, then some better rings later.

aroma: hint of skunk upfront. disappates quickly. very subtle english pale ale aromas, w toasted malt and apple esters, but faint. brown rice comes in at the back, very earthy and nutty.

taste: brown rice explodes on palate tho. subtle pale ale profile is backbone, with mild to moderate english hop bitterness to balance, but focus is on the nutty brown rice, i think. still a trace of skunkiness though.

light to medium body, very smooth with touch of acidity and astringency. mild to moderate carbonation is tingly but helps w body and smoothness.

NOTE: i tasted samples of this when the brewer (a nice guy, but barely spoke any english) visited julios (along with baird) in late april 2009, during the craft brewers conference in boston. it was only just being imported for the first time by the sheltons, and was a very uniquely flavorful ale at the time, with none of the apparent skunk from the bottle reviewed above. the brown rice character was stronger then too. i even got this one direct from the case, just to make sure.

further, i tried another bottle a week or so later, also direct from the case: same skunkiness. also, the brown rice flavor had faded drastically.

maybe this just needs to be consumed fresh? i don't know how the skunkiness got in there though.

anyway, the scores are partially adjusted to reflect how pleasantly intrigued i was when i first sampled it back in april 2009.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a cloudy, maize color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of sweet malt, slight spice (ginger?), hint of yeast, hint of pale malt, and slight floral. An interesting, spicy, English Brown Ale. Mouth feel is smooth and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, slight ginger, hint of pale malt, and hint of grain. Overall, good aroma and mouth feel.

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%

I'm really digging this unique beer. The label says it's "brewed with water, malted barley, brown rice, & hops". It's got a good taste to it and I must say that I'm impressed!

A - It's pretty cloudy, and a head that dissipates pretty quickly.

S - I can't quite place the smell...but I do know it's inviting!

T - Such a unique taste...but maybe that's because I've been drinking too many double IPA's lately! :) I like it!

M - The beer definitely lays heavy in your mouth and maybe that's why it feels a little over-carbonated.

D - Not bad at all. I'lll drink it again.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%

Got this free in a leftover from the Beervana last summer.

A: Started to erupt slowly as I opened it, being about 6+ months old that's not a good sign. It has a bleached white fluffy 1 finger head that retains very well as billions of bubbles rise up. It has a toasty orange color that is very clear.

N: Oh yeah, infection! I can smell the sour fruit and funk. Aside from the sour fruit and funk, I get some toasted malts, lightly sweet malts, rice, and perhaps a hint of hops.

T: Again trying to ignore the soured funky contamination which is lighter on the taste than it was on the nose. Spicy, like a nicely spiced summer wit! It's got a wheat like taste, with lots of light toasty malts, rice, definite rice (almost has a sake like taste). Light hints of spicy hops. Pretty light otherwise.

M: Lighter body with tons of carbonation.

F: Very dry, as expected, but also somewhat bitter. Interesting. It has a nice spicy hopped bitter finish (ignoring the soured funky tangy infection). Some toasty malt flavors also linger, like toasted bread. An earthy hop character lingers as well this one really long.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

What an oddity. An ale brewed in Japan with genmai (brown rice, usually toasted and brewed with tea). Gorgeous, long tapered bottle. Just had to try this or the curiosity would have killed me.

Cap popped with a good his, and was really on there. Bottle had a fairly thick layer of sediment. Body is dark for an ale - almost a red. Thin head, but decent lace. Tiny bit of haze, not quite crystal clear.

Smells wonderfully of yeast, and tons of toasty rice and malt. If you've had genmai-cha before, the smell will be very familiar. It's hard to find the hop notes under the rice and yeast, but they're in there. Yeast is belgian-ey in character. Stewed fruit and dark bread.

Taste was a lot brighter than I expected! There are dueling flavours of the toasted rice and a hopping that's very clear and singular. Soraci ace, mayhap? Would be appropriate, anyhow. Middle is unremarkable, and finish is more rice. Just malty enough to carry things along.

Carbonation seemed a bit strong to me, and body a bit thin, but it was still a touch sticky. No weird lingering flavours, though, outside of what you'd expect from the rice. Bottle tasted like it might not have been the freshest, so you may want to ask your beermonger about shipping dates.

Overall, this was exactly what I expected, executed better than I had hoped. Very Japanese in character, fairly well balanced experiment. Not perfected, but not bad for a gimmick beer.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a foggy brown with an orange hue. Thinner creme head. Flavor is a bit tangy really. Not precisely balanced. Lots of caramel here as well. Did I say a lot? Seems to be a bit of a hoppy bite on the backside. Lots of malt here as well. Feel is boisterous on carbonation and the liquid is a bit thicker. Overall this is okay. Kind of out of balance and too loud in certain places. Decent enough. I guess.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

This beer pours the color of sweet ice tea, with OK head retention and decent lacing. The nose is pretty malty, with something of a brown sugar and milk chocolate aroma. The flasvor profile replicates the nose in this moderately sweet ale. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with something of a light, slightly watery finish. Drinkability is decent, with the alcohol well disguised. I wish this beer had a bit more flavor, but nevertheless, it's a decent beer. However, given the price tag for this beer, I believe I'll stick with the cheaper and better domestic versions I can find in this country (or from the UK).

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale from Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery