Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale - Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery

good

Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery visit their website
Japan

English Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Brown ale brewed with brown rice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2009)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

Mixed feeling on this one.

Appearance: Very foamy thick, white head. Retained well over time. Orange-brown copper and cloudy.

Smell: Citrusy, some spice.

Taste: Orange/grapefruit, vanilla, spicy hops. I get a lot of curry flavors - primarily cumin, ginger, tumeric.

Mouthfeel: Overcarbonated. It bubbles and bubbles in your mouth that you have to let it sit before you can really start tasting the beer.

Drinkability: There's an interesting balance and array of flavors, but the carbonation on this (at least from this bottle) was too much to make it very drinkable.

amandebates, Dec 09, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Sleek half-litre brown bottle, the only English indication of the beer style held within a small mailing label, which lends an air of the exotic, given that I can't read Japanese.

This beer pours a hazy medium copper hue, with three fingers of creamy off-white head, which leaves a ring of lace around the glass as it recedes. It smells of steamed wild rice, a bit vegetal, with some funky weediness. The taste is toasted rice husk, an earthy mustiness, and mild weedy hops. The carbonation is soft, the body medium weight, and it finishes a bit off-dry, musty and herbal.

Definitely something new for me, and hard to compare to anything else I've had, except for maybe sake. Not bad, at least a good example of using rice in the beer-making process.

biboergosum, Dec 30, 2009
3.33/5  rDev -9%

Thanks Presario. A rice beer with brown malts. Pours grapefruit colour with lotsa white head. A distinct barnyard, but not much of that in the taste. Leaves a lot of lace, the carbonation is there and it is drinkable this beer. Not a ot of mouthfeel.

Sammy, Jan 27, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

ygtbsm94, Aug 04, 2013
3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

Comes in an elegent tall 500 ml brown bottle. Pours out a cloudy amber hue, quick splash of off-white head.

Something comes off as tart and sharp at first in the aroma but quickly subsides as toasted notes replace it and remain predominant. Toasty, husky grains in the background.

Grainy, leathery, toasted malt, toasted rice/popcorn flavour in the middle, bitter leafy herbal hops on finish along with astringent tannins.

Light slick watery mouthfeel, low carbonation with a higher zip on the finish.

Curious experiment, and I'm a big fan of genmaicha tea, however it doesn't seem to gel together within this ale, far more dischord than harmony with all the seperate elements, and as a result it affects the overall experience.

IronDjinn, Dec 11, 2009
3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

A - The beer pours a copper color. Very tight head.

S - This beer smells exactly like mugicha. I really think this is the best way to describe the smell.

T - The genmai flavor is very pronounced. Brown rice, sweet bread, toasted grains.

M - Medium bodied. A bit acrid.

D - Honestly, since I think it smells and tastes like mugicha, I'd rather just have mugicha. With that said, I'm glad I tried it and encourage others to do so as well. The Shelton Bros. are bringing some very interesting Japanese beers into their portfolio.

sessycuban, May 31, 2009

The beer that I'm drinking bears very little resemblance to what others are reviewing. I'm suspecting that my bottle went bad. The aroma is a bit vinegary and smells too much like a wild ale to not suspect the beer is compromised. The beer I'm tasting is a long long stretch away from an English Pale Ale. It is plenty carbonated, with the tart, wild ale type tastes with a touch of Brett yeast. I'm getting very little malty mid section, or funky brown rice, or anything else that others commented upon. I will re-review this beer after I get another batch. For now, it gets straight 3s as a default.

albern, Mar 28, 2010
2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

This was highly carbonated as evidenced when opened as it made a bit of a mess as I quickly poured it into my glass. This was a bit carbonated for my taste which killed the moutfeel. It has a thick off-white foam and is a nice amber color to it.

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this up, but I wasn't pleasantly surprised, unfortunately. It just had a weird tart-funkiness to the taste that I did not enjoy, I believe it is the brown rice. This flavor came across in the scent as well.

I didn't dump it, it is decently drinkable, just not something I would get again.

VWBuggirl, Dec 19, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -31.7%

Picked up this bottle in Buffalo.

Wish I had looked at the reviews first - gusher, for sure. Luckily I had a towel nearby shielding some carbonating homebrew from the light.

I was super excited about this beer because my favorite kind of tea is Japanese Genmai Cha.

A: Gusher... so it was overcarbonated and the gushing stirred up all the yeast at the bottom. Extremely tall unwanted head. Cloudy orange zest color.

S: My first thought was infection. Between the gushing and the funky aroma I figured something went wrong. Definitely brett in this beer or something very close to it. The brett overpowers most else, and lends a slight metallic twang. Citrus is present but negligable compared to the tart funk going on.

T: The brett is potent at first - mildly tart and zesty. The metallic aspect is even stronger in the taste unfortunately. But the finish definitely tastes like Genmai (toasted brown rice). The rice is warm and toasty and I like it.

M: Over carbonated and hot alcohol for barely breaking 5%.

O: If this were actually a brown ale (not even remotely brown btw) with English yeast this beer would be delicious. The brown rice addition is very well done. But the yeast choice (or infection - not sold that this brett was intended) ruins the beer's potential.

Spider889, Jun 13, 2012
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale from Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery