Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale - Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery

good

Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery visit their website
Japan

English Brown Ale |  5.10% ABV

Brown ale brewed with brown rice.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-30-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

This was highly carbonated as evidenced when opened as it made a bit of a mess as I quickly poured it into my glass. This was a bit carbonated for my taste which killed the moutfeel. It has a thick off-white foam and is a nice amber color to it.

I didn't really know what to expect when I picked this up, but I wasn't pleasantly surprised, unfortunately. It just had a weird tart-funkiness to the taste that I did not enjoy, I believe it is the brown rice. This flavor came across in the scent as well.

I didn't dump it, it is decently drinkable, just not something I would get again.

12-19-2010 20:57:29 | More by VWBuggirl
ThomasMetal75

3.8/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A- cloudy orangy, copper color. Starts off with a 2 1/2 finger foamy head, but it dies to a fine rim around the glass. It's got a bit of sediment. Dosn't look like any brown ale I've ever had. Nothing too fantastic, but it's different for sure.

S- There's a definite wine kind of scent. There is also a Belgian funky, yeasty type smell. Earthy overall I'd say.

T- Belgian yeast earthy, funkiness. Tart, but not tremendously sour. It's very similar to an un-oaked, lighter red wine (not sure which variety, I'm not a wine person really). No real discernable hop presence here at all. Can't say this is brown ale like at all! It reminded me more of a saison or some kind of Belgian golden ale.

M- Medium mouthfeel. Pretty well carbonated. Finishes dry and tart. Its to me somewhere between drinkable and a sipper. I don't think it's hard to drink at all.

Overall I'm extremely surprised this came from Japan. It's got a lot in common with Belgian ales. It's got tartness and earthiness. I enjoyed how it was like wine with more beer type qualities. If for some crazy reason you see this beer in your local store, go get it and try it.

03-02-2014 01:54:13 | More by ThomasMetal75
sessycuban

3.05/5  rDev -16.2%

A - The beer pours a copper color. Very tight head.

S - This beer smells exactly like mugicha. I really think this is the best way to describe the smell.

T - The genmai flavor is very pronounced. Brown rice, sweet bread, toasted grains.

M - Medium bodied. A bit acrid.

D - Honestly, since I think it smells and tastes like mugicha, I'd rather just have mugicha. With that said, I'm glad I tried it and encourage others to do so as well. The Shelton Bros. are bringing some very interesting Japanese beers into their portfolio.

05-31-2009 02:24:56 | More by sessycuban
HappyBivouac

Iowa

3.93/5  rDev +8%

Never heard of this beer or brewery, but being a big fan of Genmaicha (toasted rice tea) I had to grab a bottle.

s- Orval-like tart aroma, faint grassy and floral hops, a faint spicy note, a bit of a brown rice aroma but it's buried as expected. Faint tartness.

a- a nice deep and substantial amber with a creamy off-white head. rather pleasant to look at.

t- well this is something. the toasted brown rice comes on a lot stronger on the palate. it is very much like freshly brewed genmaicha mixed with a toned down Orval. floral, grassy hops are only present in the finish. Very interesting combination of flavors here. I'd prefer not to see so much tartness, but I have my doubts as to how intentional it was.

m- about exactly what I'd expect from a combination of tea and beer. slightly more substantial than water, with only a faint, lightly tickling carbonation. Not exciting, but pleasant.

d- It's weird. This beer is bending my sense of how to analyze it. Normally I don't want the same thing from beer as I do from tea, but this just works, much in the way that a good toasted rice tea does. The tart, Orval-like flavors are likely due to infection, but I daresay it doesn't work entirely against this beer. An interesting beer to sip, and refreshing, but if you don't like the idea of toasted rice tea mixed with Orval then it might not be your thing. I enjoyed it.

06-24-2010 05:03:12 | More by HappyBivouac
philosobeer

4.25/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a goblet with my AMANDEBATES. Bought at Lush on south Halsted in Chicago.

A - High head no matter how slow I poured it diminishing. Cloudy and with some sediment. It... is not a looker. But ... it's brown.

S - Anise and licorice, with some hop spiciness. I would have expected this was a beer spiced with cuminseed and mustard leaves. I don't know is in this thing. Whoa.

T - Cumin. Hops. Grain sweetness. Pungent spicy flavors. This is a very complex, tasty beer. It claims to be malt, hops, yeast and water, but I taste something more than the sum of its parts. Really worth a try just for this,, but it's pretty delicious.

M - Sharp carbonation is a little oveer the top. Hop and spice levels make this hard to handle.

D - This is one of those beers that's good enough unique enough where you don't even think about things like alcohol content.

Definitely interesting.

12-09-2010 05:21:47 | More by philosobeer
IanWingy

3.75/5  rDev +3%

01-19-2013 13:48:19 | More by IanWingy
sdderek

3.63/5  rDev -0.3%

I'm really digging this unique beer. The label says it's "brewed with water, malted barley, brown rice, & hops". It's got a good taste to it and I must say that I'm impressed!

A - It's pretty cloudy, and a head that dissipates pretty quickly.

S - I can't quite place the smell...but I do know it's inviting!

T - Such a unique taste...but maybe that's because I've been drinking too many double IPA's lately! :) I like it!

M - The beer definitely lays heavy in your mouth and maybe that's why it feels a little over-carbonated.

D - Not bad at all. I'lll drink it again.

10-06-2009 01:23:43 | More by sdderek
amandebates

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%

Mixed feeling on this one.

Appearance: Very foamy thick, white head. Retained well over time. Orange-brown copper and cloudy.

Smell: Citrusy, some spice.

Taste: Orange/grapefruit, vanilla, spicy hops. I get a lot of curry flavors - primarily cumin, ginger, tumeric.

Mouthfeel: Overcarbonated. It bubbles and bubbles in your mouth that you have to let it sit before you can really start tasting the beer.

Drinkability: There's an interesting balance and array of flavors, but the carbonation on this (at least from this bottle) was too much to make it very drinkable.

12-09-2010 05:01:05 | More by amandebates
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ise Kadoya Genmai Ale from Nikenjayamochi Kadoya Honten Co. / Ise Kadoya Brewery