Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros

tyleeis, Apr 26, 2012

GregoryCiuba, Jul 24, 2014

derbledraught, Jul 10, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +53.2%

vondutch, Apr 23, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +51%

A: dark straw and bordering amber, Grolsch is quite a bit darker than other Euro Pale Lagers (EPLs). Based on this, and that the brew doesn't show prominent caramel tones, I would venture to say that Grolsch has endured a multi-decoction mash.

S: bouquet is upfront, expressing spicy continental hops and a sharp, sulfury yeast bite.

T: taste is bordering that of a good Czech pils, except a touch sweeter. Grolsch is quite dry, but not completely, with tones of grain, sulfer, and many layers of hops.

M: light, but chewy on the palate. I'm willing to bet that they took after Urquel and used proteins and complex carbs to achieve a brew that was full on the palate while maintaining dryness.

D: the best EPL I've had by far. I would be willing to day that it is due to Grolsch bearing more resemblance to the German and Czech pilsners than the often lower quality ELPs. Regardless of style assignment, Grolsch is a well crafted and delightful beer well worth a try.

Avagadro, May 16, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +48.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled in a single-blind format with bottles of Aass, St. Pauli Girl, Heineken, Bitburger and Warsteiner.
I formerly had given this beer a 4.3 overall, but in a tasting with its peers, it became obvious how exceptional it really is. Before the identity of this beer was revealed I guessed it to be Aass.
Fine intermittent bubbles lead to a good blanket of foam on top. Roasty, malty nose with some fresh, sticky hop aromatics (the only beer in this lineup that featured fresh hop aromatics, by the way. Something I consider essential to the style.) The attack is round and dry and suggests toasted starch. Nutty. Driving, nutshell flavors carries through to the finish, fueled by good hop extraction. Seamless development of flavors with toasty caramel and ripe grain notes throughout. This beer had the longest finish of the set at more than 10 seconds!
I am told that this beer is unpasteurized, unlike Heineken. Also, the 12oz. format has always tasted fresher than the 17oz. swing-tops I've sampled

putnam, Sep 29, 2002
4.53/5  rDev +46.1%

I hate county music. It annoys me. For me, I much prefer more extreme, heavy music. Then a certain song by Garth Brooks comes along (no idea the name of it) that my wife plays all the time, and for some reason I really like that one song. I don't like any others, but I really dig that song. Similarily, lagers are really boring to me for the most part. I like extreme beers, like my music. Now, unlike county music it don't HATE lagers, but they usually don't stand out to me like a stout or barleywine often does. Grolsch is my exception. I LOVE Grolsch. From the moment I pop off the top I can smell that smell I know so well. There's a distinctive taste that no other lager has like a Grolsch; slightly sweet at first, finishing with an even slighter hoppiness. Simple, very drinkable, fantastic.

Gruntlumber, Mar 25, 2004

bagnz0r, Jul 23, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +45.2%

Pretty decent beer. It is dark in color and not much carbonation. At first you get a smell of skunk which has a nice finish of hops! It taste really good with quite the bite of hops. The mouthfeel is great very balanced which makes for perfect drinkability!!

kdawg105, Feb 22, 2010

bdoggboston, Mar 03, 2012

MaxOfMetal, Jan 15, 2012

NorbertB1974, Feb 10, 2014

DirtyDurds, Jul 13, 2013

FZR23, Aug 12, 2014
4.47/5  rDev +44.2%

I've enjoyed this beer for years and years. In college a big treat was to get this in a pint bottle with a cheeseburger and fries, and I'd return to classes with a bit of a buzz. At that time, lo those many years ago, it was a bit exotic, a European beer with far more taste than what would usually be offered. And wow, what was that? Hops, you say? Fantastic!

Poured into a tumbler it forms a small head that dissipates and leaves little lacing. The appearance is of a slightly darker straw color and crystal clear. The aroma is of faint floral hops and perhaps a little maltiness. The taste is of slight malt sweetness and mild to moderate hop bitterness. It has a bittersweet finish with moderate carbonation. My favorite session beer for old times sake.

rfabian, Nov 15, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +43.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid lager. Loved it. It has a gorgeous color and hop smell. It sustains its head one-inch head for long periods following the pour. And it dazzles the taste buds without lingering in aftertaste. Well done!

Of course, one immedidate difference about Grolsch Premium Lager is its "swing top" cap and green bottle. Somewhere out there are any number of Summa Cum Laude beer geeks who will be able to tell me the benefits of capping a bottle of beer with a porcelain stopper instead of an aluminum cap. I will take a guess that it is all about the taste (versus the nostalgic look of an antique container), and I say that because I prefer bottle-beer to can-beer due to the same reasons -- I swear, I can taste the difference when a beer comes from a can. But whatever the justification, it is apparent that a beer with a porcelain stopper is something a bit out of the ordinary, and therefore, something of a curiosity as it sits there on the shelf. Hmmm, you say to yourself. Then, perhaps a little cynically, you wonder if it a just gimmick to sell something mediocre.

Well, in the case of Grolsch Premium Lager, speculate no longer. It does not need fancy packaging to sell this product. Porcelain cap or not, I could slurp it up from the palms of my hands if all the glasses in the world were suddenly smashed. Delicious!

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

MikeInIowa, Apr 01, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +43.5%

Grolsch is a great and very accessible example of a Dutch or "Euro" lager. Once you get over the, and I'll admit it, really freakin' cool flip-top bottle, it's still a great lager that delivers with no skunk and a full flavor.

I've just had it poured from one of those damn-cool bottles into a pint glass. It pours with a moderately sized white head that dissipates somewhat rapidly leaving very little lace. The beer has moderate carbonation with fine, small bubbles. The taste has a foundation of the bready lager malt taste with a licorice-type twist thats typical of dutch lagers, topped with a
very floral, little bit fruity European hop flavor. The taste is very complex and tastes several sit-downs to get one's way around a description. However, it is a very drinkable beer. I recommend pairing with any sort of British or American pub grub, fried and boiled seafood, but especially Indian food which pairs well with beers that have a strong hoppy nature.

Now how's that for a slice of fried gold?
Yeah-heah Roy!

FriedGold2010, Apr 10, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +42.9%

Well now, it's come to this: Grolsch. I remember I used to grab one of these on my way home from school everyday and drink it as I walked through the fields. It is usually sour for a lager, and is pleasantly bitter . . . Well, as bitter as a pale lager gets. When I drink Grolsch, I think 'beer'.

This is a archetypical beer. That is both a good and a bad thing. It lacks many of the finer characters that a beer expert might seek in a beer, excelling at nothing save raw drinkability. However, the flip-side of that statement is that it does nothing wrong either.

Nice. Simple. Solid.

Whenever I go and buy a six-pack, it has to pass the Grolsch test: Would I enjoy these beers at the end of the day more than Grolsch. Often the answer is 'yes', but the test remains a good barometer for quality beer.

shbobdb, Nov 17, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +42.9%

Typical golden lager appearance; the Grolsch premium lager pours a pretty, pillowy white head. The smell is quite tame and mild, nothing funky or skunky here. The taste is surprisingly creamy and the finish is better than expected. Mouthfeel is clean and again, a bit creamy, very pleasing to the palate. Drinkability ensures comfort, six of these would make for a nice relaxing evening.

A well rounded premium lager that is much better than expected.

mashedpotatoes, May 02, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +41.9%

Hayes37, Aug 21, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +39.7%

From the 12oz bottle.

Pours a very, very pale gold. Palest beer I've seen in awhile outside of Mich Ultra. Crystal clear. 1/4 inch dense and persistent head. Head dissipates, leaves nice lacing. Smells of grassy malt, herbal hops. Just a bit of light skunk.

Taste is crisp grassy malt. Light bitterness in the finish. Persistent noble hops that build nicely. Hallertau or saaz? Don't know but it's a nice finish. Crisp and very clean mouth. A lightly sour finish. Lingering hops and fizzy mouth. This is shockingly tasty. Good stuff. Of the Eurolagers, this should be your choice.

ViveLaChouffe, May 05, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +38.7%

poured into in pint glass a clear medium gold color one finger head wispy quickly fading lace. aromatic aromas of cut grass odd herb notes but not unpleasant on the nose. corn husk dry grass slightly sour malt good hop note finish. light to medium mouthfeel and carbonation is good and holds up well. we should made a lager here as good.

billybob, May 07, 2010

shjdy, Jul 12, 2014

j_hollings13, Jun 19, 2014

Memphis, Sep 21, 2012
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.