2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,262 | Reviews: 603 | Show All Ratings:
Avagadro

4.68/5  rDev +51.5%

A: dark straw and bordering amber, Grolsch is quite a bit darker than other Euro Pale Lagers (EPLs). Based on this, and that the brew doesn't show prominent caramel tones, I would venture to say that Grolsch has endured a multi-decoction mash.

S: bouquet is upfront, expressing spicy continental hops and a sharp, sulfury yeast bite.

T: taste is bordering that of a good Czech pils, except a touch sweeter. Grolsch is quite dry, but not completely, with tones of grain, sulfer, and many layers of hops.

M: light, but chewy on the palate. I'm willing to bet that they took after Urquel and used proteins and complex carbs to achieve a brew that was full on the palate while maintaining dryness.

D: the best EPL I've had by far. I would be willing to day that it is due to Grolsch bearing more resemblance to the German and Czech pilsners than the often lower quality ELPs. Regardless of style assignment, Grolsch is a well crafted and delightful beer well worth a try.

05-16-2010 02:01:03 | More by Avagadro
putnam

4.6/5  rDev +48.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Sampled in a single-blind format with bottles of Aass, St. Pauli Girl, Heineken, Bitburger and Warsteiner.
I formerly had given this beer a 4.3 overall, but in a tasting with its peers, it became obvious how exceptional it really is. Before the identity of this beer was revealed I guessed it to be Aass.
Fine intermittent bubbles lead to a good blanket of foam on top. Roasty, malty nose with some fresh, sticky hop aromatics (the only beer in this lineup that featured fresh hop aromatics, by the way. Something I consider essential to the style.) The attack is round and dry and suggests toasted starch. Nutty. Driving, nutshell flavors carries through to the finish, fueled by good hop extraction. Seamless development of flavors with toasty caramel and ripe grain notes throughout. This beer had the longest finish of the set at more than 10 seconds!
I am told that this beer is unpasteurized, unlike Heineken. Also, the 12oz. format has always tasted fresher than the 17oz. swing-tops I've sampled

09-29-2002 10:38:50 | More by putnam
Gruntlumber

Missouri

4.53/5  rDev +46.6%

I hate county music. It annoys me. For me, I much prefer more extreme, heavy music. Then a certain song by Garth Brooks comes along (no idea the name of it) that my wife plays all the time, and for some reason I really like that one song. I don't like any others, but I really dig that song. Similarily, lagers are really boring to me for the most part. I like extreme beers, like my music. Now, unlike county music it don't HATE lagers, but they usually don't stand out to me like a stout or barleywine often does. Grolsch is my exception. I LOVE Grolsch. From the moment I pop off the top I can smell that smell I know so well. There's a distinctive taste that no other lager has like a Grolsch; slightly sweet at first, finishing with an even slighter hoppiness. Simple, very drinkable, fantastic.

03-25-2004 04:38:36 | More by Gruntlumber
kdawg105

Georgia

4.5/5  rDev +45.6%

Pretty decent beer. It is dark in color and not much carbonation. At first you get a smell of skunk which has a nice finish of hops! It taste really good with quite the bite of hops. The mouthfeel is great very balanced which makes for perfect drinkability!!

02-22-2010 21:58:46 | More by kdawg105
rfabian

4.47/5  rDev +44.7%

I've enjoyed this beer for years and years. In college a big treat was to get this in a pint bottle with a cheeseburger and fries, and I'd return to classes with a bit of a buzz. At that time, lo those many years ago, it was a bit exotic, a European beer with far more taste than what would usually be offered. And wow, what was that? Hops, you say? Fantastic!

Poured into a tumbler it forms a small head that dissipates and leaves little lacing. The appearance is of a slightly darker straw color and crystal clear. The aroma is of faint floral hops and perhaps a little maltiness. The taste is of slight malt sweetness and mild to moderate hop bitterness. It has a bittersweet finish with moderate carbonation. My favorite session beer for old times sake.

11-15-2009 22:44:37 | More by rfabian
FriedGold2010

Louisiana

4.45/5  rDev +44%

Grolsch is a great and very accessible example of a Dutch or "Euro" lager. Once you get over the, and I'll admit it, really freakin' cool flip-top bottle, it's still a great lager that delivers with no skunk and a full flavor.

I've just had it poured from one of those damn-cool bottles into a pint glass. It pours with a moderately sized white head that dissipates somewhat rapidly leaving very little lace. The beer has moderate carbonation with fine, small bubbles. The taste has a foundation of the bready lager malt taste with a licorice-type twist thats typical of dutch lagers, topped with a
very floral, little bit fruity European hop flavor. The taste is very complex and tastes several sit-downs to get one's way around a description. However, it is a very drinkable beer. I recommend pairing with any sort of British or American pub grub, fried and boiled seafood, but especially Indian food which pairs well with beers that have a strong hoppy nature.

Now how's that for a slice of fried gold?
Yeah-heah Roy!

04-10-2008 08:14:14 | More by FriedGold2010
MikeInIowa

Iowa

4.45/5  rDev +44%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is a solid lager. Loved it. It has a gorgeous color and hop smell. It sustains its head one-inch head for long periods following the pour. And it dazzles the taste buds without lingering in aftertaste. Well done!

Of course, one immedidate difference about Grolsch Premium Lager is its "swing top" cap and green bottle. Somewhere out there are any number of Summa Cum Laude beer geeks who will be able to tell me the benefits of capping a bottle of beer with a porcelain stopper instead of an aluminum cap. I will take a guess that it is all about the taste (versus the nostalgic look of an antique container), and I say that because I prefer bottle-beer to can-beer due to the same reasons -- I swear, I can taste the difference when a beer comes from a can. But whatever the justification, it is apparent that a beer with a porcelain stopper is something a bit out of the ordinary, and therefore, something of a curiosity as it sits there on the shelf. Hmmm, you say to yourself. Then, perhaps a little cynically, you wonder if it a just gimmick to sell something mediocre.

Well, in the case of Grolsch Premium Lager, speculate no longer. It does not need fancy packaging to sell this product. Porcelain cap or not, I could slurp it up from the palms of my hands if all the glasses in the world were suddenly smashed. Delicious!

With Respect for Beer,
MikeInIowa

04-01-2009 19:50:45 | More by MikeInIowa
shbobdb

Indiana

4.43/5  rDev +43.4%

Well now, it's come to this: Grolsch. I remember I used to grab one of these on my way home from school everyday and drink it as I walked through the fields. It is usually sour for a lager, and is pleasantly bitter . . . Well, as bitter as a pale lager gets. When I drink Grolsch, I think 'beer'.

This is a archetypical beer. That is both a good and a bad thing. It lacks many of the finer characters that a beer expert might seek in a beer, excelling at nothing save raw drinkability. However, the flip-side of that statement is that it does nothing wrong either.

Nice. Simple. Solid.

Whenever I go and buy a six-pack, it has to pass the Grolsch test: Would I enjoy these beers at the end of the day more than Grolsch. Often the answer is 'yes', but the test remains a good barometer for quality beer.

11-17-2005 20:42:57 | More by shbobdb
mashedpotatoes

4.43/5  rDev +43.4%

Typical golden lager appearance; the Grolsch premium lager pours a pretty, pillowy white head. The smell is quite tame and mild, nothing funky or skunky here. The taste is surprisingly creamy and the finish is better than expected. Mouthfeel is clean and again, a bit creamy, very pleasing to the palate. Drinkability ensures comfort, six of these would make for a nice relaxing evening.

A well rounded premium lager that is much better than expected.

05-02-2008 22:52:22 | More by mashedpotatoes
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +40.1%

From the 12oz bottle.

Pours a very, very pale gold. Palest beer I've seen in awhile outside of Mich Ultra. Crystal clear. 1/4 inch dense and persistent head. Head dissipates, leaves nice lacing. Smells of grassy malt, herbal hops. Just a bit of light skunk.

Taste is crisp grassy malt. Light bitterness in the finish. Persistent noble hops that build nicely. Hallertau or saaz? Don't know but it's a nice finish. Crisp and very clean mouth. A lightly sour finish. Lingering hops and fizzy mouth. This is shockingly tasty. Good stuff. Of the Eurolagers, this should be your choice.

05-05-2006 03:58:06 | More by ViveLaChouffe
billybob

4.3/5  rDev +39.2%

poured into in pint glass a clear medium gold color one finger head wispy quickly fading lace. aromatic aromas of cut grass odd herb notes but not unpleasant on the nose. corn husk dry grass slightly sour malt good hop note finish. light to medium mouthfeel and carbonation is good and holds up well. we should made a lager here as good.

05-07-2010 00:28:19 | More by billybob
mattgert

4.22/5  rDev +36.6%

I grabbed some Grolsch for New Year's Eve and I had to review because my experience was different for once. One of the biggest issues with this beer like many is the "green bottle skunk effect". It plagues Grolsch badly (worse than most in fact) and there are many variances of this that shadow how good the beer is. I won't go into anything that hasn't already been said when it comes to appearance, blah blah... same story.

I purchased a 4-pack of 16oz flip tops. The brew date on the bottles were 12/20/2007. That is fresh. I drank these 12/31. I must say that made all the difference. When the skunk factor is removed as it was on these it was a whole different animal. When I popped the top and poured there was no skunk aroma at all, just a nice blend of malt and hops. Of course this is a milder beer but it was exactly what it should be. If you can find it fresh it is an excellent Euro Pale. Needless to say that was the best sample of Grolsch I have had, so different in fact that it could have been a different beer. I was certainly surprised at how different it was.

01-12-2008 02:32:56 | More by mattgert
BobLuvBeer

4.18/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance: Large thick head, very clear. Minimal bubbles.

Aroma: Strong floral hop aroma, which tends to have a citrusness to it as well.

Taste: Strong bitter taste, with a fullness to the body underlining. Bitterness quickly subsides and leaves a mildly bitter aftertaste.
Overall a very nice appearance. Wonderful to the nose. Pleasing taste, due to its balanced use of hops and grains. Aftertaste is slightly acidic. But on a whole, very nice.

07-04-2004 20:46:22 | More by BobLuvBeer
bunbury

Panama

4.18/5  rDev +35.3%

This beer has a strong aroma, as well as mouthfeel and hard after taste.
Pours nicely into a 2 fingers white head, yellow/gold appearance.
it tastes bit over cooked creating that exceptional bitterness

Drink 6 and your are out, so even though it has only 5% abv, is just the enough exact number for it.

exceptional to drink while in a cold place

06-09-2006 22:54:18 | More by bunbury
templar316

4.13/5  rDev +33.7%

Pours with a billowy head which falls back to leave islands of foamy suds behind. The color is the same apple juice yellow of lagers, and there is a little apple in the nose as well as subtle alcohol undertones and a quiet hop presence. The taste is quite impressive for a lager, a touch of hop bitterness, mild malt body, a great rocky finsh. Goes down smooth perfect on a hot day afterworking in the yard or to knock back a twelver at a BBQ.

08-20-2008 23:03:24 | More by templar316
Guinnesslover7

Maine

4.1/5  rDev +32.7%

Nice clean appearance and taste. No foamability or bubbly action with this lager. Almost a flat affect and very similar in taste to a Stella Artois, in my opinion. Tastes will vary.
Definitely not a heavy bogged down taste to it and smell is very mild.
Also I like the delivery of the product and bottle design.
I've wanted to try a Grolsch for years so I was glad to have finally given it a try.

An easy B+ to A- beer.

10-10-2008 21:45:12 | More by Guinnesslover7
Zorro

4.03/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours a clear yellow, got to give it extra points for the nifty bottle though! ;)

Smells strongly of grain and yeast in a good way like very good fresh bread. Also has a malty smell.

Tastes very bready and thick for a lager. There is also an unusual elusive wheat taste here like pasta, strange but not unpleasant. Fairly hoppy, but not really bitter.

One of the thicker lagers, you almost want to chew it. I like German style beers so I LIKE to chew my beer! ;)

Very Drinkable.

02-05-2004 02:47:53 | More by Zorro
mytireisfat

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev +30.4%

This is my first review, still learning!

A: Nice golden yellow color, maybe a little to carbonated, 2 1/2 finger head, which quickly dissipated.

S: A citrus flavor which was sweet was all i could really smell.

T: Citrus was pretty over powering, a little sour also.

M: Light body.

D: Easy to drink, would be a great beer on a hot day. the bottle is fun. I would drink another. i think it is a good beer every once in a while, but not every day!

05-22-2010 00:35:04 | More by mytireisfat
JWFokker

Poured from a bottle into a stein, it's a pretty average looking pale lager, but the head is nice. It continues to swell for a minute or two until there's about 3/4" of head, then slowly dies down and leaves a nice, thin lacing. The nose is nice, somewhat grassy, could be described as floral. The flavor is well balanced. It's got a bit of an edge to it between a slight bitterness and a touch of alcohol flavor. Mouthfeel is pretty average, though nothing amazing. All in all, it's a very drinkable beer. It's well balanced and it could easily make be a session beer.

05-31-2006 05:07:11 | More by JWFokker
beckscrusader420

this beer is like heineken but without that strange chemical after taste. If youre into this type of beer this stuff is decent. After all they have like over 200 years of brewing experience on heiny. heiny is 1873?? grolsch is 1615 so that should tell you something. Not the best beer but cerainly not a heineken and definately not a crudweiser.

05-21-2007 00:20:40 | More by beckscrusader420
btorsdog

Something cheezy and funky that keeps me liking this beer over and over for years.
Wouldn't call this craft but is indeed a well made product with a solid dependable quality.
gleaming brite yellow in color with a malty scent to it.
Tastes kind of skunky with a mild hops bitterness,weird and pleasing at same time.
mouth is medium body with a slight chewiness.
drink is extremely good IF your in the mood for it,fairly solid beer and can usually get on sale around all holidays!

08-22-2010 00:42:13 | More by btorsdog
Mosstrooper

Poured from 15.2oz bottle into 500ml Radeberger branded seidel.

Appearance: Pours a pale golden color that has many lively bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass and sticking to the sides. Has a large, frothy white head that dissipates slowly and leaves behind spotty lacing.

Smell: Lots of sweet pilsner malt aroma, with some floral and fruity hints as well.

Taste: Begins with a slight grassy hop flavor, which rounds out more and more into sweet pilsner malt flavor as the beer finishes. The aftertaste begins sweet, reminiscent (though not equivalent to) a Czech pils, and yields to some rounded grassy hops.

Mouthfeel: Light body with balanced carbonation and a clean, refreshing finish.

Drinkability: This beer is probably one of the most pleasant surprises I have encountered in beer. It had been a long time since I had it- and that one time I had it was long ago when a friend's dad offered me a bottle and I remember it being the first beer I actually came close to liking (this was before I was of drinking age). I recently bought some to use the bottles for homebrew, expecting a boring macro lager, but decided to review it and try to enjoy it anyhow- realizing that my palate has changed and that I would probably find this beer boring. What you get, though, is a beer that could in all seriousness stand its ground against a Czech pils. While it isn't quite as good as the best Czech pilsners, it is surprisingly enjoyable. It's easily drinkable, refreshing, and sessionable, and could be a good beer to have around for parties- I would also be willing to bet that this is pretty damn good on tap. However, it's relatively high price tag means that I won't be having this much and, while it is good and was a surprise, it isn't quite good enough to justify it's price tag (a sixer of Celebration Ale was less than a four-pack of Grolsch at the Whole Foods I worl at).

An enjoyable brew. It surprised me. Not a Heineken clone!

P.S. Sorry for the wordy drinkability explanation!

12-26-2010 01:57:25 | More by Mosstrooper
RonaldTheriot

Louisiana

Grolsch Lager has a thick, white, frothy head and a crystal clear yellow appearance, with lots of carbonation. The aroma was NOT skunked (green bottle), and it is predominately barley malt. Taste is a delightful mix of barley and mild hops. Mouth-feel is light and watery, and Grolsch Lager finishes crisp and refreshing. Overall, I really enjoyed this sample and would highly recommend you giving it a try.

RJT

12-31-2010 17:29:59 | More by RonaldTheriot
Reagan1984

2+ fingers of nice bright white head. Very nice retention on this. The beer is a bright brass color and perfectly clear. No carbonation is visible. Quite a bit of sticky lacing clings everywhere.

Very bright and fresh aroma. Grassy, a touch of spice.

This was "the best" beer on a mediocre list at a hotel so I wasn't really expecting much. But I am surprised and this is pretty damn good. Nice pale malt flavor up front, then lots of spicy and grassy notes. A nice crisp finish with a not so subtle bitterness. Clean flavor. Notice the bottle says "April 2212" which may be a best by date.

Bright, crisp, clean and fairly light bodied. Bitterness brings it some more heft.

I've definitely had Grolsch several times over the years, but I am pleasantly surprised. I won't be saddened when I see it on a beer list going forward.

Bottle seems real fresh.

11-30-2011 02:49:06 | More by Reagan1984
Billolick

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Best before date of 6/04 (yeah fresh beer!), 16 ounce swing top bottle.
Straw color, loose head, larger bubbles. Grassy, cabadgy nose.
Light bodied, medium carbonation. Clean flavor, simple lager, not a whloe lot going on ere flavor wise. Refreshing and fairly balanced. No off flavors noticed. The swing top add some character and brings back the memories (used to think this stuff was the best brew around when I was 17)
A pleasant enough quaffer.

02-24-2004 03:24:15 | More by Billolick
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.