Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros

1.05/5  rDev -66.1%

First had: bottle from somewhere...friend's dad's fridge, or a dive bar, I assume.

Seems like a lot of trouble to put the elaborate caps on these nasty things.

Pours a pale straw color, fizzy carbonation, and a white head that disappears quickly. Faint grainy aroma, but mostly skunk. Sweet, stale grains to the taste, skunky and watery, Light mouthfeel, and poor drinkability unless you just like chugging watery beers. To be avoided.

1.08/5  rDev -65.2%

Fizzy beer gold color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is DMS, wet cardboard and Flavor is matly and slightly hoppy, but is obscured by the green bottle skunkyness. Bad bottle? Possibly, I have tried this beer several times and it always taste like this, some more some less, Average lager, but this one was UNDRINKABLE

1.1/5  rDev -64.5%

Bottle. Pours a golden color with a white, thin head that fades fast, lively carbonation. Aroma is grainy, with notes of yeast and citrus. Thin body. Taste reminds me of fermented apple cider. I could not drink this beer. The bottle probably was too old.

1.23/5  rDev -60.3%

Nice swing cap bottle looks cool thats about it! It looks thin and pale golden color very thin body.

The head is almost not their small fizzy and gone in a flash!

The taste is less then appetizing bad skunky taste to go with the skunk aroma!

1.25/5  rDev -59.7%

1.35/5  rDev -56.5%

I am not in the business of bashing any frosty adult beverage, but this beer was awful! It had a funky smell, almost a skunky smell, but I pushed on. The colour isn't bad but when you taste it, man, thats BAD BEER. It has a copper almost bloody taste and actually made me snort and shake my head when I drank it.
I don't just dislike this beer, I AM AFRAID OF IT!

1.45/5  rDev -53.2%

smells like skunky beer, tastes like skunky beer, what do you know? its skunky beer.

as a drinker that doesn't drink much beer, it tastes pretty bad. its got a bitterness that i expect from a darker beer, but in a light lager, i am surprised.

bought the beer for the fancy flip-top bottles, so that was good enough for me.

1.48/5  rDev -52.3%

so... I didn't get the cool bottle, but I am drinking it in the Netherlands, so I figured the whole 'direct from the source, non export' version might be pretty good, right? this might actually be the single least enjoyable beer I have ever drank. I realize that I still have a world of experience ahead of me, but there was not much redeeming in this beer, other than it's decent colour.

appearance - crisp golden straw, kind of what I expected from a lager

smell - sourish. kind of an omen of what's to come.

taste - bad. that's really the only way I can think of to describe it. this is the first time that i actually wished that the beer was more watery, so there was less taste to it. it's taste is born from it's aroma. it tastes like bad classic rock cover bands and stale morning breath. it's reminiscient of the morning after - the night of. it's kind of sour, not really bitter or hoppy, just kind of uninviting.

mouthfeel - pervasive. blanketing. it makes your saliva glands active, but not like when anticipating a good meal, more in that pre vomit salivation of your natural defenses trying to build a barrier between you and it.

drinkability - If after reading the above sections you are still considering Grolsch's drinkability, then maybe you should try it.
the locals warn that even without drinking it in large quantity it's known as the headache beer. as in it'll give you a hangover regardless of whether you have drank enough to deserve one, although I must admit that writing this the morning after I feel fine, hangover free, and only regretting having drunk it for the assault on my tastebuds that it represented.

now I will admit that I am not a fan of lagers in general, and am not typically moved to write reviews, especially scathing ones such as this. that said, even wihtin the lager community that I have experienced this was explicitly bad. typically I just prefer other styles but will drink a lager if the mood strikes me slash it's readily available. Grolsch I would avoid at all costs. if I was in a Saw movie with some elaborate trap where drinking another glass of Grolsch was the only way out of the room I would seriously consider facing whatever Jigsaw had set up for me.

1.5/5  rDev -51.6%

Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.