Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
Reviews: 638 | Hads: 1,673
1.05/5  rDev -66.1%

First had: bottle from somewhere...friend's dad's fridge, or a dive bar, I assume.

Seems like a lot of trouble to put the elaborate caps on these nasty things.

Pours a pale straw color, fizzy carbonation, and a white head that disappears quickly. Faint grainy aroma, but mostly skunk. Sweet, stale grains to the taste, skunky and watery, Light mouthfeel, and poor drinkability unless you just like chugging watery beers. To be avoided. (437 characters)

1.08/5  rDev -65.2%

Fizzy beer gold color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is DMS, wet cardboard and Flavor is matly and slightly hoppy, but is obscured by the green bottle skunkyness. Bad bottle? Possibly, I have tried this beer several times and it always taste like this, some more some less, Average lager, but this one was UNDRINKABLE (311 characters)

1.12/5  rDev -63.9%

Bottle. Pours a golden color with a white, thin head that fades fast, lively carbonation. Aroma is grainy, with notes of yeast and citrus. Thin body. Taste reminds me of fermented apple cider. I could not drink this beer. The bottle probably was too old. (254 characters)

1.24/5  rDev -60%

Nice swing cap bottle looks cool thats about it! It looks thin and pale golden color very thin body.

The head is almost not their small fizzy and gone in a flash!

The taste is less then appetizing bad skunky taste to go with the skunk aroma! (247 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -54.8%

I am not in the business of bashing any frosty adult beverage, but this beer was awful! It had a funky smell, almost a skunky smell, but I pushed on. The colour isn't bad but when you taste it, man, thats BAD BEER. It has a copper almost bloody taste and actually made me snort and shake my head when I drank it.
I don't just dislike this beer, I AM AFRAID OF IT! (364 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -51%

smells like skunky beer, tastes like skunky beer, what do you know? its skunky beer.

as a drinker that doesn't drink much beer, it tastes pretty bad. its got a bitterness that i expect from a darker beer, but in a light lager, i am surprised.

bought the beer for the fancy flip-top bottles, so that was good enough for me. (324 characters)

1.54/5  rDev -50.3%

so... I didn't get the cool bottle, but I am drinking it in the Netherlands, so I figured the whole 'direct from the source, non export' version might be pretty good, right? this might actually be the single least enjoyable beer I have ever drank. I realize that I still have a world of experience ahead of me, but there was not much redeeming in this beer, other than it's decent colour.

appearance - crisp golden straw, kind of what I expected from a lager

smell - sourish. kind of an omen of what's to come.

taste - bad. that's really the only way I can think of to describe it. this is the first time that i actually wished that the beer was more watery, so there was less taste to it. it's taste is born from it's aroma. it tastes like bad classic rock cover bands and stale morning breath. it's reminiscient of the morning after - the night of. it's kind of sour, not really bitter or hoppy, just kind of uninviting.

mouthfeel - pervasive. blanketing. it makes your saliva glands active, but not like when anticipating a good meal, more in that pre vomit salivation of your natural defenses trying to build a barrier between you and it.

drinkability - If after reading the above sections you are still considering Grolsch's drinkability, then maybe you should try it.
the locals warn that even without drinking it in large quantity it's known as the headache beer. as in it'll give you a hangover regardless of whether you have drank enough to deserve one, although I must admit that writing this the morning after I feel fine, hangover free, and only regretting having drunk it for the assault on my tastebuds that it represented.

now I will admit that I am not a fan of lagers in general, and am not typically moved to write reviews, especially scathing ones such as this. that said, even wihtin the lager community that I have experienced this was explicitly bad. typically I just prefer other styles but will drink a lager if the mood strikes me slash it's readily available. Grolsch I would avoid at all costs. if I was in a Saw movie with some elaborate trap where drinking another glass of Grolsch was the only way out of the room I would seriously consider facing whatever Jigsaw had set up for me. (2,221 characters)

1.67/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Pours highly carbonated and transparent. Highly carbonated thin head that disappears quite fast. Small amount of lacing. Straw yellow in appearance. Taste is very hoppy and weak bodied. Quite a skunky smell, however this may have just been from the storage of the bottle I purchased. Overpriced for what you get, you're probably paying more for the swing top bottle than the actual beer. Wouldn't recommend. (407 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -45.8%

Pours pale gold with a small head.
The expected grainy malt and skunky Euro hops are instantly noticeable.
Flavours include loads more grainy malt, with a mild and one-dimensional bitterness.
Watery body, with massive carbonation.
Yet another boring pale euro lager... (268 characters)

1.68/5  rDev -45.8%

Poured a dark clear golden color with a white foamy head that disappeared quickly. Aroma was of malt, hops with a slight skunkiness that worsened as the beer warmed. Taste was crisp with a sweet malt front that turned into a sour lemony middle and a finish that was bitter and skunky. I've had this in the past and I don't remember Grolsch being this distasteful. Expiration was marked 07/2003, but this bottle was just plain awful. With so many options out there I don't know if I'd waste my time with this one again. (518 characters)

1.71/5  rDev -44.8%

Appearance: The swing-top bottle is cool looking, no doubt...uhm...that's the only compliment I've got for this one. It's a thin, straw-colored concoction that doesn't look any different from the cheap American lagers or your typical pale lager.

Smell: I could have guessed this smell before even opening the bottle. Any beer from Europe in a green bottle smells skunky...i'm convinced.

Taste: meh.. some weird sort of vegetable/grainy taste that barely breaks through the pure skunk smell and taste of this "lovely" beverage. Unbalanced, and not good.

Mouthfeel: Fair carbonation..weak, light mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I really can't envision a scenario in which I can ever see myself drinking this beer again. A cool looking bottle for my collection..that's the only thing I got out of the "Grolsch experience" (823 characters)

1.72/5  rDev -44.5%

Man skunk city ive had beers that were questionable about skunk but now i know what it is. Poured out straw colored,with a 2 finger head.Pale grainy taste with slight hop ending with metallic aftertaste.Not a very appealing beer,but a cool reusable bottle. (256 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -44.2%

Pours yellow with fluffy white head. Tastes and smells like typical euro lager. I like to have one or two "good" beers and then switch over to whatever American macro or euro lager I find on sale for a session beer. Grolsch is perfectly acceptable for session beer, but it's nothing to get excited about either. I do like the swingtop bottles, but the green glass really is a bad idea. (385 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -44.2%

Appearance: very clear with a light golden color. The head is white, moderate in size and frothy. Impaired retention.
Aroma: very, very weak skunky nose.
Taste: bitter.
Mouthfeel: puckering, good carbonation, low alcoholic strength, moderate body.
Finish: bitter, moderate length.
Overall: I find this one not very pleasant. It is too unbalanced towards the bitterness. It simply does not go down nicely. (409 characters)

1.76/5  rDev -43.2%

Far below average lager. Bought the single, swing top bottle. Hey, that was neat. It's also the highlight of the beer, and I haven't even poured it yet. Let's see, somewhat darker than gold colour. Alot of carbonation, and yet very little head. What was their did leave a little lace on my glass. Whoa, bad smell. Cooked vegetables, wet malt, little hops, soggy cardboard and skunk juice. Hmm, green bottle, skunked beer. Who would see that coming? Very bad taste. Skunky taste up front, cooked veggie taste in the middle, bitter skunk aftertaste. Thin, overcarbonated mouthfeel. I would not drink this again. Even if it were offered for free, I'd choose something else. Even Bud Light. At least the taste in Bud Light isn't skunk. (731 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -41.9%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with a small bubbly white head with very little retention. Carbonation is quite low which is not what I would expect from a Premium Lager. Aroma is quite weak with maybe some malt in the background. Taste is also quite weak with some skunky taste at the end instead of dryness. Overall lack of crispness with funky taste at the end, not one I will be seeking again anytime soon. (415 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -41.9%

This comes in a cool bottle, but that is about it. Because of the bottle, it is probably even more over priced for what's inside. A clear yellow and poor tan head. Not much of a smell. Some grains perhaps. Very light flavor and a bit bitter. Light body as well. Not much of a lager in my book, but drinkable I guess. (316 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -41%

The pour produced a skunky aroma that filled the room, a straw yellow, fizzy body, and a moderate white head that left minimal lacing. Initial taste had some of the skunky aroma on the tongue, but it got less annoying after that. Ending was quite dry. (251 characters)

1.83/5  rDev -41%

Original Rating Date:
June 16, 2008

Had this at a beer tasting event recently. I had never drank it prior to then. Grolsch is gross. Super skunky beer. Not really much to say. I wasn't a fan in the least. It has the same downfalls that Heineken does. Not a really enjoyable beer at all -- It ultimately tastes like the name sounds.

Honestly, I'll have to have this on tap in order to make an honest review. But the bottle killed it for me. (441 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -40.6%

I can't say that I am a fan of this one.

The term gold could be used to describe this lager, but 'gold' makes it sound valuable so am going to go with 'yellow' because yellow has more negative conotations associated with it. It's a light clear yellow in color.

The aroma is on par with a can of Budweiser that has been sitting out all night and someone tossed a cigarette butt into it instead of using an ashtray like a civilized human being.

I suppose the carbonation level and overall body of the beer are it's saving graces; though even that is just average. I don't think I'll be buying this again unless my only options are extremely limited. (653 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -40.6%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

Unexpectedly large, 4 finger white head. Which faded quickly. Pale yellow color, as expected.

Phew... the smell took me right back to my fraternity house the morning after a party. Stale, cheap - not pleasant.

Taste was grainy and bitter, like many Euro lagers, but not quite as harsh as Heineken.

Mouthfeel was almost as rough as the smell. Decent carbonation, but bad aftertaste.

Outside of how this beer looks (like that matters), it is really not good. (491 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -39%

Looks good with decent head retention for its kind. Aroma is sweet malt, grassy hops and synthetic rubber. Flavor is mostly harsh hop bitterness, astringency (in the mouthfeel) and little else. Finishes dry, bitter, chalky. I used to like this beer but not enough to buy it again and again. The main attraction must have only been the swing-top bottles. (353 characters)

1.91/5  rDev -38.4%

Light looking in the glass without much of a head. Not a strong definable scent, at least none that I noticed, but then again I didn't feel like keeping my nose in this one for too long. It was just overall unpleasant. There was a murky kind of swampy taste to it. And the aftertaste lingered for way too long, which is not a good thing in this case. But hey, at least there was a lot of carbonation that kept me belching for a good long time (I'm laying on the sarcasm pretty heavy, in case you weren't sure). This beer is not worthy of the awesome bottle they put it in. (572 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -37.7%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

The swingtop bottle is very cool. Aside from that, I was surprised by the scores I gave this beer. I always though I liked Grolsch, but maybe I haven't been objective with myself. Or maybe this was a bad batch or old bottle.

The color upon pouring into a pint glass was a somewhat unappealing pale yellow. I detected little smell, which is better than skunk, but not by much--it's what I'd expect from a watery light beer like Coors Light. If the smell wasn't skunky, the taste hinted of it. Saved by a slightly sweet and not unpleasant finish. The mouthfeel was not good--soapy and too carbonated--it actually gave me a slight burning sensation. I'd have to say, based on this bottle, Grolsch gets a low drinkability score, but I hope to try it again and recapture whatever it was that once made me think this was a decent beer. (830 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -36.8%

This was one of the stragglers left over from quite the fourth of July shindig left in my fridge from my dear cousin.Decided I'll have it with my post work meal on the cloudiest of cloudy days.

A - Pours a typical see through medium yellow with a half finger of head and leaves no tracing.

S - Smells typical of the style with the skunk level turned to 11.

T - Oh yes, we have a skunker. The grains aren't all that terrible and take a decent hold which is quickly overruled by a ridiculous skunks ass to the mouth.

F - Feels pretty flat with a bit of body and moderate carbonation.

O - Yawn....Zzzz....Zzzzz... (616 characters)

Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.