Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
wattoclone

Charliehogarth86

03-29-2014 03:50:05 | More by Charliehogarth86
Rifugium

1.05/5  rDev -66%

First had: bottle from somewhere...friend's dad's fridge, or a dive bar, I assume.

Seems like a lot of trouble to put the elaborate caps on these nasty things.

Pours a pale straw color, fizzy carbonation, and a white head that disappears quickly. Faint grainy aroma, but mostly skunk. Sweet, stale grains to the taste, skunky and watery, Light mouthfeel, and poor drinkability unless you just like chugging watery beers. To be avoided.

05-09-2011 16:58:10 | More by Rifugium
beerguy101

1.08/5  rDev -65%

Fizzy beer gold color. Large fizzy head. Aroma is DMS, wet cardboard and Flavor is matly and slightly hoppy, but is obscured by the green bottle skunkyness. Bad bottle? Possibly, I have tried this beer several times and it always taste like this, some more some less, Average lager, but this one was UNDRINKABLE

08-20-2003 02:59:29 | More by beerguy101
mikeg67

1.1/5  rDev -64.4%

Bottle. Pours a golden color with a white, thin head that fades fast, lively carbonation. Aroma is grainy, with notes of yeast and citrus. Thin body. Taste reminds me of fermented apple cider. I could not drink this beer. The bottle probably was too old.

12-08-2010 21:54:20 | More by mikeg67
Kwak

1.23/5  rDev -60.2%

Nice swing cap bottle looks cool thats about it! It looks thin and pale golden color very thin body.

The head is almost not their small fizzy and gone in a flash!

The taste is less then appetizing bad skunky taste to go with the skunk aroma!

12-04-2002 18:10:28 | More by Kwak
bilbo2012

1.25/5  rDev -59.5%

04-04-2012 18:51:11 | More by bilbo2012
powoo19

1.35/5  rDev -56.3%

I am not in the business of bashing any frosty adult beverage, but this beer was awful! It had a funky smell, almost a skunky smell, but I pushed on. The colour isn't bad but when you taste it, man, thats BAD BEER. It has a copper almost bloody taste and actually made me snort and shake my head when I drank it.
I don't just dislike this beer, I AM AFRAID OF IT!

09-02-2002 08:00:04 | More by powoo19
Corvato

North Dakota

1.45/5  rDev -53.1%

smells like skunky beer, tastes like skunky beer, what do you know? its skunky beer.

as a drinker that doesn't drink much beer, it tastes pretty bad. its got a bitterness that i expect from a darker beer, but in a light lager, i am surprised.

bought the beer for the fancy flip-top bottles, so that was good enough for me.

Serving type: growler

09-07-2008 00:10:46 | More by Corvato
kemoarps

Washington

1.48/5  rDev -52.1%

so... I didn't get the cool bottle, but I am drinking it in the Netherlands, so I figured the whole 'direct from the source, non export' version might be pretty good, right? this might actually be the single least enjoyable beer I have ever drank. I realize that I still have a world of experience ahead of me, but there was not much redeeming in this beer, other than it's decent colour.

appearance - crisp golden straw, kind of what I expected from a lager

smell - sourish. kind of an omen of what's to come.

taste - bad. that's really the only way I can think of to describe it. this is the first time that i actually wished that the beer was more watery, so there was less taste to it. it's taste is born from it's aroma. it tastes like bad classic rock cover bands and stale morning breath. it's reminiscient of the morning after - the night of. it's kind of sour, not really bitter or hoppy, just kind of uninviting.

mouthfeel - pervasive. blanketing. it makes your saliva glands active, but not like when anticipating a good meal, more in that pre vomit salivation of your natural defenses trying to build a barrier between you and it.

drinkability - If after reading the above sections you are still considering Grolsch's drinkability, then maybe you should try it.
the locals warn that even without drinking it in large quantity it's known as the headache beer. as in it'll give you a hangover regardless of whether you have drank enough to deserve one, although I must admit that writing this the morning after I feel fine, hangover free, and only regretting having drunk it for the assault on my tastebuds that it represented.

now I will admit that I am not a fan of lagers in general, and am not typically moved to write reviews, especially scathing ones such as this. that said, even wihtin the lager community that I have experienced this was explicitly bad. typically I just prefer other styles but will drink a lager if the mood strikes me slash it's readily available. Grolsch I would avoid at all costs. if I was in a Saw movie with some elaborate trap where drinking another glass of Grolsch was the only way out of the room I would seriously consider facing whatever Jigsaw had set up for me.

06-30-2008 13:21:48 | More by kemoarps

JMSDUN

Ireland

1.64/5  rDev -46.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

Pours highly carbonated and transparent. Highly carbonated thin head that disappears quite fast. Small amount of lacing. Straw yellow in appearance. Taste is very hoppy and weak bodied. Quite a skunky smell, however this may have just been from the storage of the bottle I purchased. Overpriced for what you get, you're probably paying more for the swing top bottle than the actual beer. Wouldn't recommend.

08-27-2013 23:58:37 | More by JMSDUN
Winter

Wisconsin

1.65/5  rDev -46.6%

Poured a dark clear golden color with a white foamy head that disappeared quickly. Aroma was of malt, hops with a slight skunkiness that worsened as the beer warmed. Taste was crisp with a sweet malt front that turned into a sour lemony middle and a finish that was bitter and skunky. I've had this in the past and I don't remember Grolsch being this distasteful. Expiration was marked 07/2003, but this bottle was just plain awful. With so many options out there I don't know if I'd waste my time with this one again.

11-28-2002 15:22:26 | More by Winter
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.