Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
3.7/5  rDev +19.4%

This is a typical Euro Lager, but much better than a Heineken.
App: Pours a medium golden color with a decent head that dies away after 2 minutes. Good carbonation.
Smell: Not as acidicy (sp) as Heini, a little buttery tone to it. Non-repugnant.
Taste: This is a good euro lager that you can drink all day while watching the game(s). Easy going down, a little tart at the end, fairly enjoyable.
Mouthfeel: Nothing special, good feel and taste.
Drinkability: As I stated earlier, this is a n easy bier for you to drink all day on the beach or watching the games.
I recommend it for what it is, an east drinking bier...

nocheinsbitte, Apr 06, 2008
3.1/5  rDev 0%

12oz. greenie with "Best by" date poured into a pilsner.

A: Extremely pale yellow with a thin white head and slow trickle of tiny bubbles from the bottom.

S: Lots of malts and a bit of a skunky "old beer" smell. Very mild hops on the nose.

T/M: A crisp beer with good carbonation. Lots of malty flavor again, similar to the nose. A slightly bitter finish, which I'm not sure is the hops, also permeates the aftertaste.

D: It's a daytime beer, and possible a session beer. It wouldn't be my first choice with the nose and palate, but if you're buying, I'll be there. I do plan on trying this one again, just to be sure it wasn't a spoiled batch.

FleeVT, Apr 04, 2008
3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

Appearance: Pale yellow, clear with a slight head when poured.

Smell: Reminds me of the typical euro malty lager. More hops than a Heineken, and a an earthy aroma as well.

Taste: Great tangy bitterness from the hops. I've always appreciated Grolsch for its genuine European flavour. It isn't as dumbed down(in the can/bottle) as say Heineken. It retains a beautiful floral hoppy character. I don't know what kind of hops they use but I love them. Earthy and no citrus like your typical N.American beer. Maltiness balances the bitterness well to leave a beautiful flowery aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Pretty much a macro lager feel. Lots of carbonation, only difference being the bigger flavour presence all over the tongue.

Drinkability: Well I drank about 8 of these at Sensation White 2007 Amsterdam and felt no ill effects after waking up the next day at 5pm. Drinkability is really incredible. I think this is my favourite macro lager of all time.

Hornet2003, Mar 30, 2008
3.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Classic, simple and oh so drinkable. Grolsch was one of the first beers I ever tried and that probably has something to do with why I managed to skip the macro scene altogether and just go straight for the good stuff. A slightly buttery malt base with a good amount grain sweetness and mellow, but balancing vegetal hop spice.

Clean and balanced, I could drink this stuff al day. It's one of those beers that isn't so different from beers like Heineken, for example, but is clearly a step above.

Recommended...

arguemaniac, Mar 29, 2008
2.42/5  rDev -21.9%

This is pretty crappy lager, and too much in the family of mediocre, bland American macros with an overcooked veggie base. There is bit more of a syrupy malt backbone which may be the distinguishing characteristic from any number of more dry crisp crappy American macros. The beer is about as yellow, straw pale as it comes, with some white head and some lacing. The smell is pretty skunky herbal with some lemony tartness too. There is a sour unpleasantness and maybe a bit of an artificial chemically aroma lingering about. The taste is cooked veggies, herbal astringency, dry straw, and dryish malt in the finish. I'm pouring this one down the drain and going for something with more taste. I haven't had a Grolsch in years and I see no reason to revisit the past.

albern, Mar 28, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into a pint glass, a two-finger head that was decent, even frothy similar to a milkshake, yet this dissipated quickly.

Minimal lacing was present, as well as a well. almost overly-carbonated beer. Smell well balanced, with earthy toned, as well as hoppy characteristics with a malty aroma to the palate.

The hopping was surprisingly well balanced and complimented by a bitterness that was rather full in the mouth, perhaps the barley came through. Overall a medium to heavy body that transitioned quite smoothlyl. Excellent brew for the patio in the summer with a steak and potatoe dish or a barbequed chicken and rib platter.

Bestuurder, Feb 27, 2008
3.13/5  rDev +1%

A golden beer with a head that lasts for a few minutes before it settles into a small layer of creamy foam which leaved lacing on the glass.

Smell is full of pilsmalt, like a handfull of dry malt, grainy like cereal. There is a light hoppy smell that appears to be extract. In the end a smell of DMS comes around the corner, which is a bit unpleasant.

Taste is light malty with a reasonable bitterness. This used to be higher in my memory. The vegetable smell is not in the taste. I can taste a little citric note, which makes this not very exciting beer a little more complex.
Aftertaste is long and bitter with some malt.

Absumaster, Feb 24, 2008
1.85/5  rDev -40.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

Unexpectedly large, 4 finger white head. Which faded quickly. Pale yellow color, as expected.

Phew... the smell took me right back to my fraternity house the morning after a party. Stale, cheap - not pleasant.

Taste was grainy and bitter, like many Euro lagers, but not quite as harsh as Heineken.

Mouthfeel was almost as rough as the smell. Decent carbonation, but bad aftertaste.

Outside of how this beer looks (like that matters), it is really not good.

BeerImmediately, Feb 23, 2008
1.83/5  rDev -41%

I can't say that I am a fan of this one.

The term gold could be used to describe this lager, but 'gold' makes it sound valuable so am going to go with 'yellow' because yellow has more negative conotations associated with it. It's a light clear yellow in color.

The aroma is on par with a can of Budweiser that has been sitting out all night and someone tossed a cigarette butt into it instead of using an ashtray like a civilized human being.

I suppose the carbonation level and overall body of the beer are it's saving graces; though even that is just average. I don't think I'll be buying this again unless my only options are extremely limited.

donteatpoop, Feb 20, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Appearance - poured out of the green bottle with a light gold color and an average white head which quickly disappeared.

Smell - Light aroma of hops and malt.

Taste - Lightly sweet and mild. Also a touch of bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel - Smooth and mellow.

Drinkability - Pretty average.

hardy008, Feb 16, 2008
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a pint glass and received a two-finger head that was slightly frothy and receeded quickly. This did leave a small head w/ minimal lacings that stayed on the beer throughout this constantly carbonated beverage. Smell was earthy and hoppy with a tad bit of malt coming out. The taste was not overly hoppy, as there seemed to be a dirt/grass taste with a hint of yeast (it seemed). Hops were present and complimented by some bitterness that was rather full in the mouth, perhaps the barley came through. Overall a medium to heavy body that went down smooth but rather uneventful. Just not a beer I would seek out.

clayrock81, Feb 11, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +9%

A finger of slightly off-white head caps this light-gold lager, with surprising duration from the head. Molson could take a lesson from Grolsch on head retention. The smell is a little bland--modest hops, bitter-sweet, but little else confront my amateurish nose. The taste is better, improved somewhat by a slightly bitter-hopped tinge to the beer to offset the fairly smooth feel overall. Grolsch is fairly easy to have, but presents basics to the consumer, characterized more by decency than by any superlative spikes. It won't wow people, but is fairly pleasant overall. Not bad.

Gehrig, Feb 09, 2008
3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

This beer poured a pale yellow color with a medium white head. The swing-top lid was a fun change of pace, I might add.

The smell was of faint malt and hops and was very light. The taste was slightly sweet, with a medium malt body and a medium hop profile. Hop flavor was characterized by a slightly grassy taste with a bit of astringency. These flavors were kept largely in check and blended well. The flavor was light and crisp overall. The consistency was thin and the carbonation was medium.

All in all, it's a decent beer. Light, no doubt, but of a higher quality and taste than you'd find in most macros for instance. It's not the first beer I'd reach for, but still pretty good. I was impressed by the hop flavor balance. The bottle is fun too! :-)

jdmorgan, Feb 09, 2008
2.85/5  rDev -8.1%

This beer has a pale golden color. Poured into a pint glass it produced a very thin head that diminished very quickly leaving practically no lacing behind. The smell didn't add anything to the experience. Flavor was light, thin actually. Rolling this over the tongue it feels watery, with a light bittering that seems is the only thing that came from the hops used for this brew.

Drinkability? Uh, well, there's a lot better out there but a lot worse too. The watery body quenches about as well. If offered, I probably wouldn't turn it down but I wouldn't seek it out either.

SIRIUS2, Feb 07, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I picked up this Grolsch after seeing them with the flip top. Several sizes available thoughout the holidays. I went with the 16 oz. flip.

It pours a good looking darker gold. Atop sits an egg-shell head that was thick and fluffy. It laced alittle as well. Good carbonation and body feel.

The aroma on the other hand, abit strong, in the wrong direction. Corn and husk overtake anything else.

The taste, alittle more mellow but still hints that ride the flavor wave like corn earth and husk with a bit of metalic lager.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a pepper/corn afterfeel.

Drinkability is fair or just ok. My local store carries a few other Grolsch offerings. This beer has the body and is good enough for me to check out the Amber and Blonde. I thought this would be like a Heine, this one carries alittle more charactor.

chilidog, Feb 02, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I sampled this beer from a 16oz fliptop bottle poured into a pilsner glass. It was golden with a nice frothy white head and lots of bubbly carbonation.

The beer smells light and biscuity with a little bit of a metallic/skunky undertone(suprise, suprise). Tastes crisp, finishes dry without much in between. Some alcohol on the aftertaste.

The beer is very thin in the mouthfeel department. I have to say I find it more drinkable than heineken but wouldn't request it under many circumstances.

cer40, Jan 29, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +9%

Recently, I noticed that Grolsch is available in 12 packs, and I decided to pick one up, seeing it's one of the few Euro Lagers that my girlfriend can enjoy with me. Upon opening the bottle, I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of a heavy "skunk" smell. When poured into a pint glass, the beer was very gold in color, with a heavy head. The scent of it wasn't very aromatic, but the beer makes up for that in flavor.

Some sweetness, with a bit of bitter, but overall, a very easy beer to drink.

I must say, that if you do drink this, make sure you get it either from the tap, or like me, get it from a very fresh pack.

KingPuuChuu, Jan 24, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Bought this cause I haven't had this beer in a while, wanted to try it again. pours a golden yellow color, a bit darker than the average macro. Smells very faintly sweet, but not much. Tastes pretty good, sweet malt upfront, faint hops but some skunk thrown in for good measure (damn green bottles) but the skunk is not as bad as, heinikin for example. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and fuzzy. Overall it is quite drinkable and think it would be a lot better if it was in brown bottles, get rid of the skunk and it may be almost as good as Pilsner Urquell.

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 17, 2008

Got a gift pack for Christmas with two 710ml bottles in it and 2 tiny glasses, both bottles BB summer 2008.

Served from a 710ml green bottle into and dimpled mug ( i don't fancy the tiny glasses )

A- was light golden in color with a decent frothy head of foam that remains for the majority of your brew. Not many bubbles other than a few streams.

S- is slightly skunky, not as bad as i was expecting i think mainly in part due to the box it was packaged in, with some malty aromas and some floral hops as well in the nose.

T- Slight sweetness up front front countered by stale hop flavors and a skunky/metallic taste. Fairly bland but bitterness in the finish was appreciated.

M- light bodied and easy carbonation on the tongue.

D- decent

Overall i enjoyed the 2 bottles i had, i wouldn't go out of my way to find it but if offered i would enjoy. Worth a try.

drinkininthewood, Jan 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +36.1%

I grabbed some Grolsch for New Year's Eve and I had to review because my experience was different for once. One of the biggest issues with this beer like many is the "green bottle skunk effect". It plagues Grolsch badly (worse than most in fact) and there are many variances of this that shadow how good the beer is. I won't go into anything that hasn't already been said when it comes to appearance, blah blah... same story.

I purchased a 4-pack of 16oz flip tops. The brew date on the bottles were 12/20/2007. That is fresh. I drank these 12/31. I must say that made all the difference. When the skunk factor is removed as it was on these it was a whole different animal. When I popped the top and poured there was no skunk aroma at all, just a nice blend of malt and hops. Of course this is a milder beer but it was exactly what it should be. If you can find it fresh it is an excellent Euro Pale. Needless to say that was the best sample of Grolsch I have had, so different in fact that it could have been a different beer. I was certainly surprised at how different it was.

mattgert, Jan 12, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +24.2%

Like most, I want the bottles for homebrewing. But I've always respected Grolsch otherwise. Tastes like real beer, not like big macro. Head disappears quickly. Reminds me a lot of Heineken with it's green bottle and it's typical skunkiness, just not as skunky.

There has got to be a better way to define skunkyness. Afterall, some people come to love this aspect of beer as a positive attribute.

"Chlorophyll Odorous", does that work?

Regardless, I dig it as an awesome light euro beer. I dig!

BeaBeerWife, Jan 08, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Decent soft head that simmers quite quickly, with the smell of mault and I get something of metal. pours a nice amber color thats not too dark, but not quite clear like the macros. Taste is just like the smell, mault and I guess a bit of metal. It was taste though, and is drinkable. Not something I would always want, but it is drinkable. Could be the green bottle got to it, I dont know.

n0315, Jan 08, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: I wasn't going to even take notes on this one, but I was so stunned by the sheer beauty of its appearance, I had to review it. I stare now at the perfectly crystal clear pale yellow beer that stands before me. The head started off slow, but rose to the occasion as I poured it. It remains as a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: First impression is nothing but skunky light-struck. That seems to fade somehow, and reveals a light floral aroma with a hint of malt breadiness.

Taste: This is also very surprising to me. The taste is clean and smooth with plenty of hop bitterness upfront. There are light amounts of malts playing around, making a slightly sweet tint to the taste. Really tasty, not boring, and with plenty of interest.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full, with carbonation working to make it so. It is clean and smooth, as noted above. Mouthfeel seems perfect to go along with the taste.

Drinkability: Really enjoyable. Especially considering my low expectations based on apparently unfounded prejudice. It's no Imperial Stout, but then again, it doesn't try to be. It is a great smooth easy drinking lager beer.

ksbrainard, Jan 06, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I bought some of these mostly, ok entirely because I wanted the flip top bottle to refill with my own homebrew. So I have to get rid of what's in the bottles. It appears light gold and has a mediocre and quickly-dissapearing white head. Smells like a lighter lager made from quality ingredients. Not too overpowering. No corn, rice, Budweiser stink. And not too bad for a green bottle. No skunkyness. There's a subtle hint in the taste of malty sweetness. Nice light flavor. Not too bitter. Nice balance of malt and hops. Easy drinking. I like it. It's good for the style of beer.

berserker256, Jan 01, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Swing-top bottle, best before 20 March 2008:

Pours straw yellow with a fluffy white head that becomes a lasting patch. Minimal trailing lace sticks to glass.

The smell is of some graininess/hay with a touch of mild "Euro-skunk". Typical green-bottled Euro-lager aroma.

The taste is of sweet grain with some balancing, non-descript hop presence. A touch of hay, along with some chemicalish soapiness. Rather bland - abrupt finish.

Pretty crisp with a light, but not too watery or fizzy, body. Cleaner than some big Euro Pale Lagers, but not as much as a few smaller one's I've had.

I've had better, I've had worse of the style. Not bad - nothing special - pretty typical. I think the swing-top bottle makes it more popular than it deserves - but who knows...Better cold than chilled or warmer.

jwc215, Dec 29, 2007
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.