Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I picked up this Grolsch after seeing them with the flip top. Several sizes available thoughout the holidays. I went with the 16 oz. flip.

It pours a good looking darker gold. Atop sits an egg-shell head that was thick and fluffy. It laced alittle as well. Good carbonation and body feel.

The aroma on the other hand, abit strong, in the wrong direction. Corn and husk overtake anything else.

The taste, alittle more mellow but still hints that ride the flavor wave like corn earth and husk with a bit of metalic lager.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a pepper/corn afterfeel.

Drinkability is fair or just ok. My local store carries a few other Grolsch offerings. This beer has the body and is good enough for me to check out the Amber and Blonde. I thought this would be like a Heine, this one carries alittle more charactor.

chilidog, Feb 02, 2008
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

I sampled this beer from a 16oz fliptop bottle poured into a pilsner glass. It was golden with a nice frothy white head and lots of bubbly carbonation.

The beer smells light and biscuity with a little bit of a metallic/skunky undertone(suprise, suprise). Tastes crisp, finishes dry without much in between. Some alcohol on the aftertaste.

The beer is very thin in the mouthfeel department. I have to say I find it more drinkable than heineken but wouldn't request it under many circumstances.

cer40, Jan 29, 2008
3.38/5  rDev +9%

Recently, I noticed that Grolsch is available in 12 packs, and I decided to pick one up, seeing it's one of the few Euro Lagers that my girlfriend can enjoy with me. Upon opening the bottle, I was pleasantly surprised with the lack of a heavy "skunk" smell. When poured into a pint glass, the beer was very gold in color, with a heavy head. The scent of it wasn't very aromatic, but the beer makes up for that in flavor.

Some sweetness, with a bit of bitter, but overall, a very easy beer to drink.

I must say, that if you do drink this, make sure you get it either from the tap, or like me, get it from a very fresh pack.

KingPuuChuu, Jan 24, 2008
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Bought this cause I haven't had this beer in a while, wanted to try it again. pours a golden yellow color, a bit darker than the average macro. Smells very faintly sweet, but not much. Tastes pretty good, sweet malt upfront, faint hops but some skunk thrown in for good measure (damn green bottles) but the skunk is not as bad as, heinikin for example. Mouthfeel is a bit thin and fuzzy. Overall it is quite drinkable and think it would be a lot better if it was in brown bottles, get rid of the skunk and it may be almost as good as Pilsner Urquell.

Manosbeeroffate, Jan 17, 2008

Got a gift pack for Christmas with two 710ml bottles in it and 2 tiny glasses, both bottles BB summer 2008.

Served from a 710ml green bottle into and dimpled mug ( i don't fancy the tiny glasses )

A- was light golden in color with a decent frothy head of foam that remains for the majority of your brew. Not many bubbles other than a few streams.

S- is slightly skunky, not as bad as i was expecting i think mainly in part due to the box it was packaged in, with some malty aromas and some floral hops as well in the nose.

T- Slight sweetness up front front countered by stale hop flavors and a skunky/metallic taste. Fairly bland but bitterness in the finish was appreciated.

M- light bodied and easy carbonation on the tongue.

D- decent

Overall i enjoyed the 2 bottles i had, i wouldn't go out of my way to find it but if offered i would enjoy. Worth a try.

drinkininthewood, Jan 16, 2008
4.22/5  rDev +36.1%

I grabbed some Grolsch for New Year's Eve and I had to review because my experience was different for once. One of the biggest issues with this beer like many is the "green bottle skunk effect". It plagues Grolsch badly (worse than most in fact) and there are many variances of this that shadow how good the beer is. I won't go into anything that hasn't already been said when it comes to appearance, blah blah... same story.

I purchased a 4-pack of 16oz flip tops. The brew date on the bottles were 12/20/2007. That is fresh. I drank these 12/31. I must say that made all the difference. When the skunk factor is removed as it was on these it was a whole different animal. When I popped the top and poured there was no skunk aroma at all, just a nice blend of malt and hops. Of course this is a milder beer but it was exactly what it should be. If you can find it fresh it is an excellent Euro Pale. Needless to say that was the best sample of Grolsch I have had, so different in fact that it could have been a different beer. I was certainly surprised at how different it was.

mattgert, Jan 12, 2008
3.85/5  rDev +24.2%

Like most, I want the bottles for homebrewing. But I've always respected Grolsch otherwise. Tastes like real beer, not like big macro. Head disappears quickly. Reminds me a lot of Heineken with it's green bottle and it's typical skunkiness, just not as skunky.

There has got to be a better way to define skunkyness. Afterall, some people come to love this aspect of beer as a positive attribute.

"Chlorophyll Odorous", does that work?

Regardless, I dig it as an awesome light euro beer. I dig!

BeaBeerWife, Jan 08, 2008
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Decent soft head that simmers quite quickly, with the smell of mault and I get something of metal. pours a nice amber color thats not too dark, but not quite clear like the macros. Taste is just like the smell, mault and I guess a bit of metal. It was taste though, and is drinkable. Not something I would always want, but it is drinkable. Could be the green bottle got to it, I dont know.

n0315, Jan 08, 2008
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: I wasn't going to even take notes on this one, but I was so stunned by the sheer beauty of its appearance, I had to review it. I stare now at the perfectly crystal clear pale yellow beer that stands before me. The head started off slow, but rose to the occasion as I poured it. It remains as a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: First impression is nothing but skunky light-struck. That seems to fade somehow, and reveals a light floral aroma with a hint of malt breadiness.

Taste: This is also very surprising to me. The taste is clean and smooth with plenty of hop bitterness upfront. There are light amounts of malts playing around, making a slightly sweet tint to the taste. Really tasty, not boring, and with plenty of interest.

Mouthfeel: Pretty full, with carbonation working to make it so. It is clean and smooth, as noted above. Mouthfeel seems perfect to go along with the taste.

Drinkability: Really enjoyable. Especially considering my low expectations based on apparently unfounded prejudice. It's no Imperial Stout, but then again, it doesn't try to be. It is a great smooth easy drinking lager beer.

ksbrainard, Jan 06, 2008
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I bought some of these mostly, ok entirely because I wanted the flip top bottle to refill with my own homebrew. So I have to get rid of what's in the bottles. It appears light gold and has a mediocre and quickly-dissapearing white head. Smells like a lighter lager made from quality ingredients. Not too overpowering. No corn, rice, Budweiser stink. And not too bad for a green bottle. No skunkyness. There's a subtle hint in the taste of malty sweetness. Nice light flavor. Not too bitter. Nice balance of malt and hops. Easy drinking. I like it. It's good for the style of beer.

berserker256, Jan 01, 2008
3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Swing-top bottle, best before 20 March 2008:

Pours straw yellow with a fluffy white head that becomes a lasting patch. Minimal trailing lace sticks to glass.

The smell is of some graininess/hay with a touch of mild "Euro-skunk". Typical green-bottled Euro-lager aroma.

The taste is of sweet grain with some balancing, non-descript hop presence. A touch of hay, along with some chemicalish soapiness. Rather bland - abrupt finish.

Pretty crisp with a light, but not too watery or fizzy, body. Cleaner than some big Euro Pale Lagers, but not as much as a few smaller one's I've had.

I've had better, I've had worse of the style. Not bad - nothing special - pretty typical. I think the swing-top bottle makes it more popular than it deserves - but who knows...Better cold than chilled or warmer.

jwc215, Dec 29, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Ahhh, the Grolsch swingtop. Although, other brewers may produce beers with the swingtop, you have to hand it to Grolsch on this one.

The appearance is a 3.5, thanks to the swingtop !

The smell is average, typical for any lager out on the market.

The taste is better than some lagers out there, but just slightly ahead of the rest of the pack.

The mouthfeel is average, nothing negative but nothing over the top positive to say in this category.

And the drinkability is a little better than average, pretty much thanks to the power of the swingtop, those folks at Grolsch are so clever !

mltobin, Dec 29, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

12-oz bottle poured into a beer mug.

A = Very clear dark straw, good head, light lacing, fair carbonation.

S = Light scent of malt, with light floral hints.

T = Flavors of sweet corn, flowers, light toasted grains. Bitter aftetaste. Good for an intentionally light lager.

M = Light bodied, soft carbonation.

D = Not bad for a light lager. I would choose this over quite a few other lagers of the same style. That said, not over impressive, just slightly above average.

Traquairlover, Dec 25, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

When you first catch the aroma of Grolsch, the first thing you will notice is the smell of hops. The aroma is somewhat "skunked", but not too much. It doesn't distract from the drinking experience. A quick pour of this beer, into the center of a glass, will give you a pretty good head of foam, but it doesn't last very long. Still, it's pretty good, as far as lagers go. The color of Grolsch is golden, and it has excellent clarity. The flavor is mostly hops, with a hint of sweet malt in the beginning, but with a bitter finish. The beer is easily drinkable, without too much harshness or heaviness.

Rootdog316, Dec 10, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Deep golden, quite dar. A white, decent head.
A decent hop in the smell. Notes of malt and lemon.
The taste is more malty than the smell. Again a decent herbal hop.
The hop is more strong in the aftertaste, quite pleasant, after all.
Quite balanced.
Nothing remarkable, but still drinkable.

stcules, Dec 04, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 16oz. swing-top bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a thin white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is faint but contains light malts, honey and caramel with a touch of hops.

T: The taste is sweet but decently balanced with flavors of honey, caramel and nuts. There's a mild hops presence and a medium malt character. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, clean finish.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, this is a decent beer to stick with for an evening once you get past the sweetness.

TheManiacalOne, Nov 27, 2007
2.8/5  rDev -9.7%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a crystal clear warm yellow body with a gentle carbonation of big bubbles and a sticky white head that last as a thin film for a bit.

S- This beer has alight sulfury noble hop note with a sulfury honey hint in the background. There was a light smell of dry corn that came through as the beer warmed.

T- The smooth slightly sulfury sweet taste of raw grain gets lighter on the sulfury sweet and heavier on the raw grain as the beer warms. There is a tap water taste with a carbonic acid and soft green hop bite that finishes the beer. The taste of raw grain and Noble hop linger in the after taste.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a crisp finish.

D- I really like the Kolsch style and this didn't really have any of the distict qualities of this style. There wasn't much character to the malt and the slight sulfury sweetness was overpowered by hops.

rhoadsrage, Nov 26, 2007
3.03/5  rDev -2.3%

16oz swing top bottle. Looks like a miniature growler. I'm not going to pour this into a glass, I like the bottle.

A - Identical to all others in the style I imagine. I give this one more points in appearance due to the bottle, and yes i'm a consumer whore.

S - Faint grassy notes, perhaps a slight hop presence, but overall, there is nothing going on here, nothing bad, but not good either.

T - Slightly less metallic than Heineken, but maybe it's just me on this one, I seem to think all of the euro pales I've tried thus far tasted pretty much the same. Pocket change and a little bit of hops.

M - Light bodied, decent carbonation, a bit of a metallic aftertaste, nothing exceptional.

D - Decent, I'll kick back a few before moving on, and would choose it over most other water lagers. I wonder if SAB will change anything now that they've bought it? I'll try one again in 6 months and see if it differs. Recommended only if you really like this style.

PhageLab, Nov 20, 2007

Beer bottle (25cl.), tasted in 2002.

Appearance: sparkling blond color, beautiful white foam head that fades quickly, low effervesence.
Smell : malt and grain aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel: very soft in the mouth, sweet taste, low bitterness.
Drinkability: an average beer in the style pale lager.

Review translated from french 5-25-2008.

thierrynantes, Nov 20, 2007
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

I had been wanting to try it, but didn't want to commit to a case, and got a four pack. I would have been worried about the beer being skunked, since the bottle was green. I got it out of a refrigeratated case, so I hoped I was safe.

Poured from the classic flip top bottle into a pint glass.

Easy 2 inches of foam sitting on top of a nice clear pale straw brew. Noramal carbonation.

No whiff of skunkiness, the beer tastes like a traditional lager should, maybe even a light lager. Crisp, slight hop flavor, not much maltiness is here. Not much on mouthfeel. Could easily have drank the whole 16 ounce four pack in an afternoon without any ill effects.

Happy to have the bottles for my homebrew...might buy a case sometime.

vikingloki, Oct 23, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a serving from the 16 ounce green flip-top bottle.

A: It had a light gold color with a bone white three finger head that exhibited moderate retention. There was a wee bit of lacing, but not much.

S: There was a noticeable aroma of malt and a touch of grassy hops.

T: It has a light sweet beginning that was replaced by a slightly bitter bite. The aggressive carbonation gave the brew a slightly citrusy zest and resulted in a finish that was initially clean but was soon replaced with a lingering sour taste in my mouth.

M: Moderately light body that is overly carbonated and not well balanced.

D: It is light and refreshing. Easy to drink. It could be consumed in multiples with little trouble.

Comment: The distinctive packaging makes this a beer that calls out to be selected from the commonness that surround it on the shelf. However, after drinking the beer you come to find it is a fairly common lager.

dnichols, Oct 14, 2007
3.1/5  rDev 0%

Classic green pop-top bottle. Poured into a pilsner glass. Straw colored, with a thick white head. Nice looking pour really. Head lingers for quite a while and leaves a bit of lacing taboot.

Mildly skunky yet not unpleasant aroma, with a bit of maltiness. There might be some perceptible hops at the end. Tastes about the same, with the somehow pleasant skunkiness mixing with some adjunct or malt flavor and definitely some hop bitterness in the finish.

This Euro lager is heavy in spite of itself. I could see the 16oz bottle filling me up for sure. It's not bad for the first beer of the night, but I probably wouldn't have even tasted it if it was my second.

ZimZamZoom, Oct 02, 2007
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%

This was the first time I have had a Grolsch. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good either.

Poured a 16.oz swing-top bottle into a pilsener glass.

Appearance - Poured out a transparent straw color. It produced a quickly dissipating, foamy, 2-finger white head. The head completely dissipates about halfway through the beer. Constant bubble stream of carbonation.

Smell - Much like other lagers served in green bottles - kinda skunky. Grainy, grassy, and herbal. There is a slight biscuit scent in there as well.

Taste - Extremely mild hop profile. Extremely slight biscuity malt. Herbal grassy hay-like flavor. There is a little bit of cirtus in there as well - tastes like a bit of lemon peal.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied. Thin mouthfeel with a decent level of carbonation that cuts through.

Drinkability - Just okay. It has taken me about an hour to finish. It is kind of astringent on the way down. I would drink it again on a hot day, but only if the brew was ice cold.

I probably won't buy this beer again. I wouldn't turn it down if it was offered to me - if there wasn't a better alternative.

MiguelMandingo, Sep 30, 2007
3.15/5  rDev +1.6%

My friend purchased one of those mini kegs, thought id give it a try

a: poured a orange/gold color with about an inch of head didnt dissapear too fast
s: grassy and herbal hops followed by a strong biscuity malt aroma
t: stale malt flavor, hop flavor for the style is a little more than i had expeceted but that i was nice may lead to lack of skunky flavor noticeable in other import lagers
m: medium bodied beer with carbonation that is towards the high side of average

overall, I enjoyed this beer however i dont think that im going to pour another when i have other good beers in the fridge

happygnome, Sep 27, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a pale golden yellow with a white head. Aromas of a European sweet malt. In the taste, malty sweet and a dry end. A very smooth mouthfeel and a dry malty aftertaste. A decent lager, kind of standard European lager, but better than I thought and/or remember.

OWSLEY069, Sep 24, 2007
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.