Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Picked up a few tall cans for a fishing trip at the NSLC.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden yellow with a monsterous fluffy bone white cap. Leaves scant lacing, decent enough retention.

Aroma: Nice smelling grains, faint sweetness. Lightly hopped, plenty of grass, some florals, a bit of bread.

Taste: A rush of musty grain, a bit of alcohol. A long lignering sweetness in the the finish, which is low to moderately bitter. Grapefruit like citrus, perhaps some sour lime and pine.

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, very high drinkability.

Final Statement: I don't think anyone with some knowledge of beer will claim this to be world class. With that being said, I really enjoy this one. It's at least a dozen steps ahead of Heineken, Stella, & Becks as far as mainstream euro lagers go, and pretty damn cheap. It's a good beer to take fishing, and it's nothing to turn down.

MMansfield, Jun 10, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -37.1%

Poured from 16oz swingtop bottle(best by 18 Oct 2007) a clear light gold with a good sized head of foam that stayed around longer than I expected and has good lacing.

Taking a whiff or 2, it has the typical EuroLager smell to it...malt that is on the sweet side and some corn.

Taking a few sips, it has a vegetal taste to it with the malt having a not so tasty malt flavour to it(not even a bit sweetish) and the hops imparts, what I think to be, a not so tasty hop flavour.(bitterness, yeah, but it's not citrusy or grassy or...it's pretty nasty)

If I finish this bottle, I'll be surprised.

Bitterbill, Jun 05, 2007
3.43/5  rDev +10.6%

Crystal clear, nice white head. The aroma is somewhat fruity, a little malty and a little creamed corn (DMS??) The flavor is not bad, cleaner than the aroma suggests, with a crisp character, some residual sweet maltiness, and a nice touch of bitterness. Overall this is a nice light beer, not anything to write home about but it suits its purposes and has its place & time.

KroMagnon, May 31, 2007
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Poured into a pint glass this lager has a nice clean golden color. It has a slight smell of malts, but it is minimal. This beer had a quarter inch head tthat lasted a while. Nothing to distinctive about this beer. It has a clean taste with a finish of hops. No skunkiness like you find in some imports. The one noticable thing about this lager was the carbonation. I had a chance to visit Europe and this was a good beer there and is just as good back in the states, just nothing to brag about. Worth a try.

WJVII, May 27, 2007

this beer is like heineken but without that strange chemical after taste. If youre into this type of beer this stuff is decent. After all they have like over 200 years of brewing experience on heiny. heiny is 1873?? grolsch is 1615 so that should tell you something. Not the best beer but cerainly not a heineken and definately not a crudweiser.

beckscrusader420, May 21, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -15.2%

16 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a clear, light golden-straw color. Fluffy white head lasts longer than I'd imagine, and laces the glass a bit.

Smell: Very minimal. Clean, slightly sweet malts. No apparent skunk.

Taste: Better than average grainy taste, with a bit of malt sweetness and some hop spicyness. Ruined by a skunky taste that kicks in quickly and lasts into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Generally smooth, but a bit grainier than some other Euro lagers (but not in a bad way). Light-bodied and carbonation is quite noticable.

Drinkability: While bearable for a glass, the skunk in the flavor would makes this difficult.

This was the first beer that I ever really tried. Granted, it tastes much better now than it did then, but it's still rather unimpressive. But the bottle is still cool...

mithrascruor, May 12, 2007
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

OK, I started buying this beer for the bottles. I needed them for my homebrewing endeavors. I kinda got hooked for a little while. I got acclimated to the skunky smell and bitter aftertaste. It has a nice zing that rolls over the tongue. If I need any more "nice" bottles I will start swilling this again. Otherwise, I am staying away from anything in a green bottle.

pumarocks, May 08, 2007
3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

This beer reminds me of my dad. Its a stronger smelling lager for sure, this one makes me think that Heineken is easy to drink.

Which it is now but wasnt at a time.

The appearance which is somthing my family has bee fond of for years, automatically gets the extra points.

We use them for strap locks on our guitars, The little red rubber gasket thingee. (For the shredders with a buzz)

Taste was very different at a cold temp. I held the bottle for a while to put the skunk at ease if you know what I mean. Its much better at a warmer temp. Like 10 degrees warmer than the refridgerated temp. Taste in the beginning is nice and clean tasting, the middle is very strong for some reason, and the finish is equally nice as the beginning. The middle part im not so sure about. I cant explain it any other way.

OVERALL this is a very good beer. I will continue to drink this if Im feeling in the mood to visit the ole lager skunk. Much better than others I have tried. Worth it on every level.

Great buzz too from just one beer!

Recommended.

Clockwork420, May 05, 2007
2.63/5  rDev -15.2%

appearance gets points more for the swing top ceramic cap bottle than the beer itself. typical macro-lager in appearance. kinda like a bigger, skunkier heineken. funny that people think the hops turning from the light to those off-skunky aromas is what was intended. can actually detect some malt in those nose and in the taste, but not a whole lot. light and spritzy. short finish is crisp and clean. drinkability decent due to the abv.

MrMcGibblets, May 03, 2007
3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer poured a typical light golden fizzy yellow with a thin white head. Nothing too special there. The aroma however was actually pleasant. Yes it's true, a pale lager with a nice smell! I never thought I'd see the day. Anyway, it was mainly sweet, slightly spicy, with hints of grass and earth.

The flavor is certainly a bit different than usual Euro pales. There's a good amount of maltiness, but it's offset by a spicy, herbal note that I found to be fairly enjoyable. There's an earthiness to the hops, and a slightly dry finish. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but this is still quite a solid pale lager. I'd take it over most of the other Euro pales I've had.

BBM, May 03, 2007
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance - Pale gold in color, very bubbly head at start. Cool bottle, swivel style metal spring, made the bottle pop on opening.

Smell - A little skunk came before the smell of grass and orange.

Tate - Strong hoppy start but not too bitter. Watery aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Slight to medium carbonation.

Drinkability - Not that exceptional. Will pass it up the next time I see it on the shelves for something new.

SaltyLime, Apr 24, 2007
1.75/5  rDev -43.5%

Appearance: very clear with a light golden color. The head is white, moderate in size and frothy. Impaired retention.
Aroma: very, very weak skunky nose.
Taste: bitter.
Mouthfeel: puckering, good carbonation, low alcoholic strength, moderate body.
Finish: bitter, moderate length.
Overall: I find this one not very pleasant. It is too unbalanced towards the bitterness. It simply does not go down nicely.

AlexLMS, Apr 16, 2007
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

A medium golden color, with carbonation very visibile in the glass. A small white head forms and has fairly good retention. A bread and biscuit fragrances is there at first sniff, then a fruity scents come out, mostly of citrus. The taste starts with a mild malt flavor, folowed by a roasted barley flavor. It ends with a slight smack of bitterness, that lingers on the palate for sometime. A light and watery feel, though it does have a dry, clean finish. A typical Euro style lager, but this does have a unique flavor and a clean finish, those qualities make it very drinkable.

cameraman, Apr 12, 2007
3.29/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Revisiting this one (first reviewed in 2007; updated May 2011). As with most green-bottled imports, I prefer to stick with cans so I don't waste time reviewing light-stricken samples. Pours a light golden colour with a foamy head that lasts two to three minutes before dissipating to patchy lacing. Tons of bubbles stream to the top at first but the density soon drops considerably. Smell is typical for the style and wholly unimaginative; light sweet malts and some hay/grassiness.

Haven't had this in 4 years but the taste is still familiar - a hint of barley malt sweetness at the front followed by some gentle hop bitterness that slowly fades away in the finish. There are some off-flavors (adjuncts? from the can? not sure) in this but they are in the backseat, and mostly quiet until the beer has warmed a bit. Mouthfeel is thin with surprisingly low carbonation for the style. Very smooth going down.

I thought re-reviewing this might help me appreciate it more, but it's the same old stuff it has always been. Decent, and better than domestic macros, but still not worth going out of your way for. Comparable to others in its category, but not very distinguishable from them.

[Updated Oct. 17 2013]

Another can (this time side-by-side with Heineken, Stella Artois and Tuborg Gold). This is easily above average for the style, and I would happily take it over any of the aforementioned competitors. I like to consider this lager sort of a 'light' German-style pilsener, as it has a grassy, vaguely noble hop bite to it that Heineken and Stella sorely lack, and the off-flavours mentioned in my previous review are nowhere to be found. Any pale lager fan should consider this one at least worth a look.

Final Grade: 3.29, a very high C+.

thehyperduck, Apr 04, 2007
2.95/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This one's a lively, pale gold. Light, fluffy head. All around pretty inviting.

The smell was full and malty, but the taste ran counter . . . smoky/burnt . . . slightly skunky? Euro-bitter? But pleasingly thick mouthfeel.

I get the feeling (looking my scores) that taste keeps this beer from being really "good." For me.

Scottsan, Apr 03, 2007
2.53/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I got this in a "beers of the world" mixed pack

It's a gold/yellow beer with a thin white head

it smells like a fart

it tastes kind of bitter, what did I expect after the smell...

it's cold, carbonated liquid

I won't be drinking this again!

JoeyBeerBelly, Mar 24, 2007
3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

Never indulged in this particular beer, but after the movies tonight I decided id give it a go.

Love the bottle with the clasping lid. Freaked me out opening it haha! Sounded really pressurized.

I didnt pour this into a glass like usual. I drank straight from the bottle, so not sure much about the appearance.

Smell is pretty good, not skunky at all.

The taste reminds me of something along the lines of a heineken or something. Not offensive and pretty light.

Mouthfeel isnt offensive either, pretty carbonated but not bad if youre into that type of stuff. Im not but I can dig it.

As far as drinkability, I think I could toss these back all day. At least thats what it seems like at the moment.

All in all, its an alright lager. If I were low on dough I wouldnt mind drinking these if I were looking to get drunk, but im not going to really go to the store looking for this.

halfassedjedi, Mar 19, 2007

A: Very clear golden hue with a thick head that soon becomes a blanket of lace around the glass.

S: Got a musty smell that isn't as bad as it might sound. Pleasant.

T: Silky and light, with a slight bitter taste near the end.

M: Leaves a crisp aftertaste. Light and airy.

D: Not the greatest in the world, but certainly not the worst. It's a good drink for relaxing on a spring/summer afternoon.

Footnote: Had this w/ some Tandoori Fish and it was a excellent pairing.

July2Nov, Mar 12, 2007
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

tried one at the local pub today

decent enough for a lager..not much of a head but then it came right out of the cooler...decent lacing

Was shocked!..no..repeat no skunk smell...a first for this brand when from a green bottle. Fresh and from a pub..well the owner does have Dutch parents...spicey euro hops and grainy malt smell

taste...spicey hop and grainy malt..not too sweet, not too bitter.

Ok Euro lager..not sure I could drink more than 2 in 1 sitting though

Shadman, Mar 10, 2007

So I poured this from a bottle just like it is pictured on this page, and for a Euro Lager it is a nice presentation, but the green bottle can be done without.

The beer itself poured a bubbly yellow, and had a nice 1/3inch head...smell of mellow malts, and that distinct and in this beer not quite as offensive as most skunky musky hops...Taste is a clean slightly bitter body, with a malty sweetness that comes in as you finish your sip...there does seem to be some cereal grain in the flavor as well. Mild on the pallet, carbonation a little high, but overall easy to drink, and my New York Cheddar Kettle Chips made this not very classy beer even better. Overall not too bad, I would definitely take this over Heineken any day.

jameaterblues, Mar 07, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Classic flip-top pours an effervescent light gold with 4 fingers + of fluffy white head. A little lacing & little bit of of head retention

S: Floral hops & a hint of lemon

T: Light malt with hints of citrus. Herbal & lemony hops follow. Finishes crisp with citrussy hops (lemons, a hint of grapefruit & lemongrass)

MF: Medium bodied with healthy carbonation & fair balance, needs a little more malt

Drinks fairly easy, a pretty good example of the style & worth a shot for some real basic beach or bbq beer

russpowell, Mar 04, 2007
2.4/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I paid $8.49 for a four pack of this at my local Safeway here in Eureka, CA. Except for the cool bottle, that is a lot of money for poor beer. After moving aside the swing-top lid I poured a very light amber brew with a small white head and almost no lacing into my glass. The nose was somewhat stale and nasty, with a general odor of fermenting hay and sour hops. Mouthfeel was non-descript, and flavor is basically sweet corn. Not a whole lot better than Corona. This popularity of this has simply got to be a case of marketing. Basically this is nearly a drain pour. Nasty stuff in a nice bottle. No place to rate the bottle or this might have gotten a little higher score.. This has been a bad patch for tasting as this is the fourth bad review in a row.

rkuhnel, Feb 27, 2007
3.55/5  rDev +14.5%

Pretty cool bottle with a flip top lid.Its a pint also thats a plus.Lets see how it looks and taste's.

It is golden with a thick fluffy head and tons of bubbles streaming to the top.Some nice lacing on the glass.The beer looks very fresh.

It smells a bit skunky but I think thats how all these euro pale lagers smell.It has a crisp smell to it also almost like a pilsner.I cant smell any hops in it.

I must have had bad pale lagers in the past because this stuff taste way better then they ever did.This stuff is pretty good, way better then Stella Artois in my opinion.I can taste the hops in it and the malt is sorda sweet.

Carbonation is pretty ruff but not to the point where its horrible.This stuff is pretty easy going down and refreshing.I can see drinking this on a hot summer day.

Ide buy this again, I got this bottle for $2.75, which I thought wasnt bad.Not a bad lager at all.

MmmIPA, Feb 22, 2007
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Grolsch Premium Lager has a very clear yellowish body that has little carbonation and a thin head with some mild lacing. It has a mild sweet flavor that just covers your mouth, it's crisp but it isn't dull either. It has a strong aftertaste that has a hint of alcohol in it. This isn't a bad beer over all and I would mind going back to the store for a few more every now and then.

vickersspitfire, Feb 21, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +24.2%

Saw this in a can and thought it was probably time to try it out. I figured that skunking would be eliminated and I would get to taste the real beer.

Pours a pale gold with plenty of cream coloured head. The head seems to have some pretty good staying power, and is sticky enough to leave lacing.

Fresh and grainy smelling, hay is what comes to mind most. A little bit of a shampoo aroma in there. Not bad.

Light on flavour, a crisp hop bite and almost a lime citrus taste. Faint malt sweetness somewhat reminiscent of crackers. Refreshing and not overdone.

Not light enough to feel watery, but nothing really exciting in the mouthfeel department. Well carbonated, as expected.

Here is a beer meant to be refreshing and not challenging. I think it succeeds.

elricorico, Feb 20, 2007
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.