Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
santoslhalper

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

Pours a normal gold with a shiny white head that dissapears pretty quick with no trace of lacing. Smells like a 3-day old dead skunk. Damn green bottles. Taste isn't too bad, a little above average. Tastes of grains, breads and hops. Nothing spectacular. Feels a little too carbonated in the mouth, but not horrible. Has a bit of a nasty aftertaste. I could see myself sitting with a 6 pack of this here and there. Worth a try if not too much else is available.

09-24-2004 21:44:54 | More by santoslhalper
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

3.33/5  rDev +7.8%

This beer pours a pale yellow color with a dimunitive shortlived head and no lace to speak of. The aroma is of grainy malts, fresh cut hay and a slight hoppyness. The taste starts off with a hit of hop bitterness and bread and lingers into a malty sweetness. Theres a little bit of detergent/medicinal flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is plain, subtle and average. This beer is average all over. It has no standout qualities but also no serious defects. A little bland though.

09-19-2004 01:20:07 | More by CAMRAhardliner
Hibernator

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%

I had this out out a 16 oz green bottled served in a pint glass.

Best before 12/04 notched on the small label.

The appearance is a clear yellow with a fluffy 1" head. Some rocky white lacings stick on the side of the glass.

Smell was grainy with an imported green bottle skunk aroma in the background.

Taste is smooth at first with a peppery finish. Very clean tasting brew that tastes grassy and grainy.

08-28-2004 20:16:06 | More by Hibernator
kmpitz2

Tennessee

2.58/5  rDev -16.5%

The beer pours a clear golden yellow color with about a finger of head that falls to slight cover over the beer. The nose is much better than I remember, so maybe I got a fresher bottle. I'm not getting much of the skunk I associate with this beer. What a surprise. The nose does seem a bit weak to me as well. I'm getting the malty sweetness, but not much of anything else. There is an aftertase to this one that I don't like. Its bitter, but not in a good way as with a good IPA. I don't know what it is, but I don't like it. I can't get past that. The beer is about a moderate thickness with a good carb on it. I don't think I want more than one of these every year or so. Its just not my favorite.

08-24-2004 00:45:50 | More by kmpitz2
SaunaKing

Ontario (Canada)

3.85/5  rDev +24.6%

I have been slamming these lately and am very happy. Have had the bottles, 5L mini kegs and cans. I base this on the cans (mini keg is similar and I dont seem to like the bottled stuff as much)

The appearance is fine, nothing special. I have to admit 80% of the time this is based on the syling of the can but when I do pour it I find it a decent blond colour with not much head but nice carbonation.
The smell is pleasant and the taste is great. I can really drink these down without any problems. A very smooth lager with a nice finish and great aftertaste. The smell is more floral than anything else and the overall impression of this beer is very good.

The best part is that you can always find some of these in a pinch when you are at the local lcbo.

Serving type: can

07-31-2004 03:31:52 | More by SaunaKing
beertaster13

Washington

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%

Not bad, pours a clear yellow with a frothy foamy white head. The smell is very grainy, hints of corn and sourdough, slight skunk as well. The taste is suprisingly a great combo of light malts and grain, a pleasing refreshing lager, light bodied and refreshing to the taste. Suprisingly decent.

07-30-2004 10:49:59 | More by beertaster13
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.55/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pale yellow-amber with a fair number of fine particulates. The head is two shades darker than bright white and has a little substance to it. It looks frothy, but not airy, and falls to a thin, lumpy disk, leaving a few scattered scraps of lace. Unimpressive nose of cooked, slightly sour grain and mildly pungent hops.

The flavor isn't appealing, though it stops just short of bad. Again, sour grain with a sharp, flinty bitterness and a faint metallic echo. Short finish (a blessing) and a too-thin mouthfeel contribute to the sheer ordinariness of this beer. It's actually a step or two below ordinary, especially if it's permitted to warm at all.

My advice is to drink Grolsch Premium Lager ice-cold or not at all, preferably the latter. I'm sure that The Netherlands can do better than this.

07-09-2004 23:29:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
elmocoso

2.65/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I wish they spent as much money on the beer as they do on the bottle. Anyway, i like them for homebrewing and can controll the light affect on the beer.

The beer seems just like another eurolagar to me. Finger of crisp white head, soon departed. Golden beverage with slight beeding.

The nose really turns me off. The smell is just off. Skunky? I dont know.

Flavor is allright but a little sour for me. It reflects the smell.

mouthfeel is decent, but overall this bev is not quite right.

07-08-2004 20:45:31 | More by elmocoso
cptnjck101

3.95/5  rDev +27.8%

This is one of my favorite imports. Not only is it as smooth as can be but cork-hinged pop top is the coolest bottle I may have ever seen. Above average on every level exceptional on any either. Drinkability is probably the low point of the beer, as after 6 or so an odd aftertaste begins to develop. An overall great brew.

07-08-2004 07:05:47 | More by cptnjck101
BobLuvBeer

4.18/5  rDev +35.3%

Appearance: Large thick head, very clear. Minimal bubbles.

Aroma: Strong floral hop aroma, which tends to have a citrusness to it as well.

Taste: Strong bitter taste, with a fullness to the body underlining. Bitterness quickly subsides and leaves a mildly bitter aftertaste.
Overall a very nice appearance. Wonderful to the nose. Pleasing taste, due to its balanced use of hops and grains. Aftertaste is slightly acidic. But on a whole, very nice.

07-04-2004 20:46:22 | More by BobLuvBeer
brewQ

2.98/5  rDev -3.6%

The fancy "ceramic" top makes a nice presentation.

This bottle opened with a big CO2 pop.The foamy white pour was equally charged up. Nothing notable in the nose- perhaps a slight graininess.

The flavor, too was pleasant but non-descript. It was not until the finish that I picked up a sour aftertaste ... not sure if that was a green bottle condition or what.

Overall, acceptable lager but given the price/value I'm not sure what occasions or drinkers it fits.

04-15-2004 15:26:46 | More by brewQ
soper2000

2.65/5  rDev -14.2%

Always seems to be on special at my local bw-3's, i guess they don't move a lot of them. Pours a standard golden straw color with a medium sized white head. Has the same general smell as a heineken left in the sun. Maybe the skunkiness lends some flavor to this beer. There is a little bitterness coming through but nothing too major. Mouthfeel is nothing special and neither is drinkability, I can't picture myself sessioning this one. It won't be my first choice for a lager but probably a minute step above the BMC crowd.

04-14-2004 00:35:44 | More by soper2000
mschofield

3.05/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a crystal clear, well carbonated gold with a three finger rocky white head, leaves ringsof lacing behind.
Lemon and a spiciness in the aroma, a bit of sulfur, and flowers.
Dry, light bodied, lemony, light toasted malt, floral, apples and butterscotch in the taste.
The body and finish is like tonic water, the bitterness isn't bad for a pale lager.

04-13-2004 21:45:15 | More by mschofield
donnebaby

2.93/5  rDev -5.2%

I always enjoy looking at this bottle, even if I don't love the beer. Good bronzed gold body though, with a poofy white head. Pretty sticky.

Smell is light, at best. Wet, light malts.

Good medium carbonation adds a bit to the smooth drinkability. Fine lager taste, with a solid bitter punch at the conclusion. Round, but small, malt taste in the mouth. Some kind of nasty taste processed taste emerges as well from time to time.

Not memorable--a beer I only enjoy drinking if out at a bar that doesn't serve anything better.

04-02-2004 08:15:58 | More by donnebaby
Gruntlumber

4.53/5  rDev +46.6%

I hate county music. It annoys me. For me, I much prefer more extreme, heavy music. Then a certain song by Garth Brooks comes along (no idea the name of it) that my wife plays all the time, and for some reason I really like that one song. I don't like any others, but I really dig that song. Similarily, lagers are really boring to me for the most part. I like extreme beers, like my music. Now, unlike county music it don't HATE lagers, but they usually don't stand out to me like a stout or barleywine often does. Grolsch is my exception. I LOVE Grolsch. From the moment I pop off the top I can smell that smell I know so well. There's a distinctive taste that no other lager has like a Grolsch; slightly sweet at first, finishing with an even slighter hoppiness. Simple, very drinkable, fantastic.

03-25-2004 04:38:36 | More by Gruntlumber
pmowen

2.58/5  rDev -16.5%

Yellow color with an unimpressive head that's gone before you know it. Smell is sulferish, consistant with it's green bottle and so is the taste. Trouble is, many people have grown to like that taste in beer. Not me. Mouthfeel is dry and unsubstantial. Best thing about this beer is the bottle. In a word, Craptacular.

03-19-2004 06:43:00 | More by pmowen
GuinnessSmurf

2.95/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer can really be summed up in one word: "appropriate". They didn't go out of their way to make this beer an experience, but it meets the basic system requirements (unlike my computer).

The color is a little bit light, and shows you how thin the beer taste will be. Smell is actually pretty nice - a blend of hops, pear, and flowers.

The actual taste is momentary. It enters the mouth, you try to get a feel for it, and the flavor is gone.

03-12-2004 05:34:47 | More by GuinnessSmurf
JoEBoBpr

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%

appearance: light golden yellow

smell: hoppy and a little skunky to me. but nothing to turn heads.

taste: i enjoyed it, it had a sharp sour taste and some bitterness to it

mouthfeel: pretty thick and full bodied, crisp fizz that was refreshing

I found a unique way to enjoy this beer: At a Coast Guard Package Store i found boxes that came with two mini kegs(i dont remeber but it seemed like 2-4galons) of Grolsch. It was an intresting way to have it but the taste was vey similar to the bottled brew.

03-01-2004 14:30:06 | More by JoEBoBpr
jsolack

3.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance:
Light amber color. Head is mild and lacing is minimal. Very average looking.

Smell:
Slight coffee scent and "skunky" smell that is typical of the style. Overall pretty nice.

Taste:
Mild flavor... beefy taste with mild sweetness comming through.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp and slightly heavy. Overall feels really good in mouth.

Drinkability:
An easy to drink beer... overall it's very average. Nothing too special to make it stand out from other lagers.

03-01-2004 02:45:50 | More by jsolack
Billolick

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Best before date of 6/04 (yeah fresh beer!), 16 ounce swing top bottle.
Straw color, loose head, larger bubbles. Grassy, cabadgy nose.
Light bodied, medium carbonation. Clean flavor, simple lager, not a whloe lot going on ere flavor wise. Refreshing and fairly balanced. No off flavors noticed. The swing top add some character and brings back the memories (used to think this stuff was the best brew around when I was 17)
A pleasant enough quaffer.

02-24-2004 03:24:15 | More by Billolick
JeffreyG

Grolsch Lager is your basic euro lager, not much to write home about. However, it is better than that other green bottled beer from Holland. Appearance is a fine clear golden with a white sticky cap. The smell (if not skunked) is a fairly mild sweetness, I had an unskunked bottle. The taste is pleasant, but unremarkable, slightly sweet with a hint of grassyness. It's a quaffable beer and a step up from US macro lager. I would really like to try this on tap in Holland. I expect that that would be a completely different experience.

02-23-2004 15:59:03 | More by JeffreyG
surfmeister

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: golden yellow with sturdy head
Smell: firm hops, and a unique smell, is it skunk? is it flint/metallic? I'm not sure but it cannot be ignored. It was annoying since I tasted it next to a smooth Munich lager.
Taste: ditto of smell, very fragrant but a little odd. I loved this beer the last time I tried it, so I'm giving it points for personality. I'm not sure I like the personality anymore
Mouthfeel: normal lager, nothing special
Drinkability: smooth drinker overall, if you can make friends with it's unique character

02-21-2004 21:33:03 | More by surfmeister
Naerhu

Japan

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

Pale yellow body with small white and very sturdy lacing.
Fresh hop and pale malt aroma.

Good malt flavor with piney bitterness. There is something worth drinking here. Something juicey that was not in the bottle.

Nothing very exciting but a very decent brew. The freshness of hops in this beer definately carry the day.

Serving type: can

02-11-2004 12:48:52 | More by Naerhu
Zorro

4.03/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours a clear yellow, got to give it extra points for the nifty bottle though! ;)

Smells strongly of grain and yeast in a good way like very good fresh bread. Also has a malty smell.

Tastes very bready and thick for a lager. There is also an unusual elusive wheat taste here like pasta, strange but not unpleasant. Fairly hoppy, but not really bitter.

One of the thicker lagers, you almost want to chew it. I like German style beers so I LIKE to chew my beer! ;)

Very Drinkable.

02-05-2004 02:47:53 | More by Zorro
cyguyjg

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours to a clear golden nectar. Good lasting lacing. The lagering is quite apparent in the carbonation that rises slowly throughout the bowl and effervesces on the top. The primary nose for me is one of slightly sweet caramel. The hops are evident but not oppressive, imparting a bitterness that one would expect in a European premium lager. This beer is substantial and fizzy on the tongue but not bitey. I like this beer. I could drink it at session. And I could recommend it to others without reservation.

01-24-2004 01:21:44 | More by cyguyjg
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.