Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
View: Beers (23) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
soper2000

2.65/5  rDev -14.2%

Always seems to be on special at my local bw-3's, i guess they don't move a lot of them. Pours a standard golden straw color with a medium sized white head. Has the same general smell as a heineken left in the sun. Maybe the skunkiness lends some flavor to this beer. There is a little bitterness coming through but nothing too major. Mouthfeel is nothing special and neither is drinkability, I can't picture myself sessioning this one. It won't be my first choice for a lager but probably a minute step above the BMC crowd.

04-14-2004 00:35:44 | More by soper2000
mschofield

3.05/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a crystal clear, well carbonated gold with a three finger rocky white head, leaves ringsof lacing behind.
Lemon and a spiciness in the aroma, a bit of sulfur, and flowers.
Dry, light bodied, lemony, light toasted malt, floral, apples and butterscotch in the taste.
The body and finish is like tonic water, the bitterness isn't bad for a pale lager.

04-13-2004 21:45:15 | More by mschofield
donnebaby

2.93/5  rDev -5.2%

I always enjoy looking at this bottle, even if I don't love the beer. Good bronzed gold body though, with a poofy white head. Pretty sticky.

Smell is light, at best. Wet, light malts.

Good medium carbonation adds a bit to the smooth drinkability. Fine lager taste, with a solid bitter punch at the conclusion. Round, but small, malt taste in the mouth. Some kind of nasty taste processed taste emerges as well from time to time.

Not memorable--a beer I only enjoy drinking if out at a bar that doesn't serve anything better.

04-02-2004 08:15:58 | More by donnebaby
Gruntlumber

4.53/5  rDev +46.6%

I hate county music. It annoys me. For me, I much prefer more extreme, heavy music. Then a certain song by Garth Brooks comes along (no idea the name of it) that my wife plays all the time, and for some reason I really like that one song. I don't like any others, but I really dig that song. Similarily, lagers are really boring to me for the most part. I like extreme beers, like my music. Now, unlike county music it don't HATE lagers, but they usually don't stand out to me like a stout or barleywine often does. Grolsch is my exception. I LOVE Grolsch. From the moment I pop off the top I can smell that smell I know so well. There's a distinctive taste that no other lager has like a Grolsch; slightly sweet at first, finishing with an even slighter hoppiness. Simple, very drinkable, fantastic.

03-25-2004 04:38:36 | More by Gruntlumber
pmowen

2.58/5  rDev -16.5%

Yellow color with an unimpressive head that's gone before you know it. Smell is sulferish, consistant with it's green bottle and so is the taste. Trouble is, many people have grown to like that taste in beer. Not me. Mouthfeel is dry and unsubstantial. Best thing about this beer is the bottle. In a word, Craptacular.

03-19-2004 06:43:00 | More by pmowen
GuinnessSmurf

2.95/5  rDev -4.5%

This beer can really be summed up in one word: "appropriate". They didn't go out of their way to make this beer an experience, but it meets the basic system requirements (unlike my computer).

The color is a little bit light, and shows you how thin the beer taste will be. Smell is actually pretty nice - a blend of hops, pear, and flowers.

The actual taste is momentary. It enters the mouth, you try to get a feel for it, and the flavor is gone.

03-12-2004 05:34:47 | More by GuinnessSmurf
JoEBoBpr

2.85/5  rDev -7.8%

appearance: light golden yellow

smell: hoppy and a little skunky to me. but nothing to turn heads.

taste: i enjoyed it, it had a sharp sour taste and some bitterness to it

mouthfeel: pretty thick and full bodied, crisp fizz that was refreshing

I found a unique way to enjoy this beer: At a Coast Guard Package Store i found boxes that came with two mini kegs(i dont remeber but it seemed like 2-4galons) of Grolsch. It was an intresting way to have it but the taste was vey similar to the bottled brew.

03-01-2004 14:30:06 | More by JoEBoBpr
jsolack

3.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Appearance:
Light amber color. Head is mild and lacing is minimal. Very average looking.

Smell:
Slight coffee scent and "skunky" smell that is typical of the style. Overall pretty nice.

Taste:
Mild flavor... beefy taste with mild sweetness comming through.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp and slightly heavy. Overall feels really good in mouth.

Drinkability:
An easy to drink beer... overall it's very average. Nothing too special to make it stand out from other lagers.

03-01-2004 02:45:50 | More by jsolack
Billolick

3.98/5  rDev +28.8%

Best before date of 6/04 (yeah fresh beer!), 16 ounce swing top bottle.
Straw color, loose head, larger bubbles. Grassy, cabadgy nose.
Light bodied, medium carbonation. Clean flavor, simple lager, not a whloe lot going on ere flavor wise. Refreshing and fairly balanced. No off flavors noticed. The swing top add some character and brings back the memories (used to think this stuff was the best brew around when I was 17)
A pleasant enough quaffer.

02-24-2004 03:24:15 | More by Billolick
JeffreyG

Grolsch Lager is your basic euro lager, not much to write home about. However, it is better than that other green bottled beer from Holland. Appearance is a fine clear golden with a white sticky cap. The smell (if not skunked) is a fairly mild sweetness, I had an unskunked bottle. The taste is pleasant, but unremarkable, slightly sweet with a hint of grassyness. It's a quaffable beer and a step up from US macro lager. I would really like to try this on tap in Holland. I expect that that would be a completely different experience.

02-23-2004 15:59:03 | More by JeffreyG
surfmeister

3.35/5  rDev +8.4%

Appearance: golden yellow with sturdy head
Smell: firm hops, and a unique smell, is it skunk? is it flint/metallic? I'm not sure but it cannot be ignored. It was annoying since I tasted it next to a smooth Munich lager.
Taste: ditto of smell, very fragrant but a little odd. I loved this beer the last time I tried it, so I'm giving it points for personality. I'm not sure I like the personality anymore
Mouthfeel: normal lager, nothing special
Drinkability: smooth drinker overall, if you can make friends with it's unique character

02-21-2004 21:33:03 | More by surfmeister
Naerhu

Japan

3.88/5  rDev +25.6%

Pale yellow body with small white and very sturdy lacing.
Fresh hop and pale malt aroma.

Good malt flavor with piney bitterness. There is something worth drinking here. Something juicey that was not in the bottle.

Nothing very exciting but a very decent brew. The freshness of hops in this beer definately carry the day.

Serving type: can

02-11-2004 12:48:52 | More by Naerhu
Zorro

4.03/5  rDev +30.4%

Pours a clear yellow, got to give it extra points for the nifty bottle though! ;)

Smells strongly of grain and yeast in a good way like very good fresh bread. Also has a malty smell.

Tastes very bready and thick for a lager. There is also an unusual elusive wheat taste here like pasta, strange but not unpleasant. Fairly hoppy, but not really bitter.

One of the thicker lagers, you almost want to chew it. I like German style beers so I LIKE to chew my beer! ;)

Very Drinkable.

02-05-2004 02:47:53 | More by Zorro
cyguyjg

3.93/5  rDev +27.2%

Pours to a clear golden nectar. Good lasting lacing. The lagering is quite apparent in the carbonation that rises slowly throughout the bowl and effervesces on the top. The primary nose for me is one of slightly sweet caramel. The hops are evident but not oppressive, imparting a bitterness that one would expect in a European premium lager. This beer is substantial and fizzy on the tongue but not bitey. I like this beer. I could drink it at session. And I could recommend it to others without reservation.

01-24-2004 01:21:44 | More by cyguyjg
JustinBathurst

Ontario (Canada)

2.6/5  rDev -15.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Swingtop bottle on this one in 473 ml.

Poured a substantial frothed head. Left a good lace and retained very well. It's a clear orange-gold.

Smells of banana, grain, a bit of skunk there, and extremely subtle hops that emerge as the dominant scent with warming.

Light mouthfeel, somewhat slick and coating.

Vague sweetness with a pinching bitter copper. The aftertaste is slightly more coffee and salt with--I'm not kidding--the taste of envelope glue. A lingering aftertaste that emphasizes the bitter qualities. This is what disappoints me most--the bitter is nice, but the sweet that begins is so faint that it strikes me as unbalanced. Not bad, not great. Just sort of lingering in the middle precariously.

01-02-2004 20:08:40 | More by JustinBathurst
JISurfer

South Carolina

2.6/5  rDev -15.9%

Ok, this was a bad beer. I might have gotten a crap bottle, but it was more skunk than anything for me. It was strong in the smell, all I got was skunkness smell, with nothing else to back it up. The taste was similar, but had more on the malt side mixed with the strong skunk esscence. I was sure that it was going to be that way when I saw the green bottle. All I can say is thank God it was free to me.

01-02-2004 06:32:27 | More by JISurfer
JohnnyDuvel

3.38/5  rDev +9.4%

I've always enjoyed this beer, and I hadn't tried it in quite some time. It is still fresh and crisp, and would rank about halfway between a Beck's and a Pilsner Urquell. Looks as good as most pils or lagers, and has a nice (if somewhat mild) flavor. Very good balance. This is my "entry level" beer. Out at a restaraunt, I would be happy with it. Always get the corked bottle. Nothing bad to say, just not in the class of the best beers of the style.

12-26-2003 04:11:20 | More by JohnnyDuvel
RoyalT

2.15/5  rDev -30.4%

Appearance – Extremely light yellow in color with pretty good head retention and some decent lacing.

Smell – There’s the tiniest bit of skunk to this one, but otherwise it’s your typical macro grain and sucrose combination.

Taste – The corn comes out big in this one. There’s nothing subtle about the flavor profile here. This one is nasty with a capital “N”.

Mouthfeel – Not quite as thin as most, but cheaply carbonated and not very quenching.

Sinkability – I’m pouring this one down the garbage disposal along with last week’s tuna casserole.

12-24-2003 02:16:52 | More by RoyalT
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.18/5  rDev +2.9%

A decent brew and a unique bottle. Pours fizzy yellow. Mild hop flavour. Good enough before a pizza or pasta meal, fine with it. Crisp, light, smooth. Best in Summer, first sip is the best. Bitter aftertaste. Good volume beer for the gang. Slightly better than North American national brands.

12-22-2003 05:09:02 | More by Sammy
masterbruewer

2.75/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looks great and smells decent.

It pours from the pint-sized green flip-top bottle with a substantial head that sticks around a while and a nice golden color.

The smell is a strong, grassy/grainy one, with a hint of skunkiness.

The flavor starts strong but is almost overpowering. After a while the strong taste and the stinging mouthfeel of the beer numbs the tastebuds a little.

All in all, this is a harsh flavorful brew. Not an everyday beer for me, but good with some spicier foods.

12-20-2003 02:11:09 | More by masterbruewer
DESTRO

Nevada

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%

$4.99 for a 6er of the 16oz swing tops...how couldn't i? pours a nice gold, lots of bubbles and a medium white head. scents of grass, grains, minerals and light hops pop out of the pour. i expected that good old nasty skunk smell, but much to my suprise it didnt exist...maybe because the swing tops come in an enclosed case preventing light from zapping it? anyway, the taste is earthy, light and refreshing, small hop bite yet a little sweet. simple and grainy, easy drinkin. never a fan of the imported macro lagers like heineken, becks and st. pauli girl, this one actually impressed me.

paid $4.99 for a 6 pack of 16ozer's.

12-08-2003 23:29:27 | More by DESTRO
qbushido

3.28/5  rDev +6.1%

with the green bottle and the same color scheme on the label I expected it to taste a lot like hieniken, and I wasnt disappointed. It does taste a little more "beerlike" then the big H, but overall I'd say if you like one, you'd like the other, and if you dont...well the same.

The bitterness is pretty much spot on for the average person, oh, and the bottle is cool too.

overall a very average beer.

12-07-2003 01:24:26 | More by qbushido
EagleTalon

Oklahoma

1.88/5  rDev -39.2%

Looks good with decent head retention for its kind. Aroma is sweet malt, grassy hops and synthetic rubber. Flavor is mostly harsh hop bitterness, astringency (in the mouthfeel) and little else. Finishes dry, bitter, chalky. I used to like this beer but not enough to buy it again and again. The main attraction must have only been the swing-top bottles.

11-20-2003 02:25:03 | More by EagleTalon
garymuchow

3.23/5  rDev +4.5%

Aroma is sweet pils type hops. Fresh.
Huge white head. Yellow gold and clear.
Only slightly bitter in start that grows from middle to end with a fairly long bitterness on finish. Smooth malt backing.
Ale like smoothness with thirst quenching properties.
This is fine. Not outstanding but a nice thisrt quencher. Bitterness lingers little too long and isn't pleasant enough tasting.

10-26-2003 16:31:47 | More by garymuchow
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

3.65/5  rDev +18.1%

This is one of the better lagers I have had from overseas. I had it the first time in Amsterdam and I canb say that the bottle here in the states keps the flavor well (unlike Heineken). It is extremely smooth and a bit buttery. Has a grainy grass like taste as well but is overcome by the smoothness. This is a very drinkable beer.

10-13-2003 23:39:17 | More by Jdiddy
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.