Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from the standard 12oz bottle, not with the flip top. Pouring comes out a pale straw color with good clarity. The head came out a little over an inch in a foamy white. The lacing is very nice and sticks well to the glass.

The smell is grassy and sweet, typical of a lager, IMO. The taste is neither hoppy nor malty. The taste is very mild with not many distinquishing characteristics. A smooth standby that probably goes well with food as it is kind of light.

abcsofbeer, Apr 09, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +9%

I've gotten to the point where I think of Grolsch as one of those old standby beers. You know, the kind you reach for whenever you don't really want to think about what you're drinking too much. Something that lacks a distinct personality, but like that old college buddy, you still let it hang around sometimes. I used to think this was a really cool beer to drink, if for no other reason than the cool flip-top bottle. Nowadays I don't see the flip-top very often. I usually see Grolsch in the more standard popcap bottle in six-packs. It usually prices out at around $6.99/sixer here in the Central Texas market.

Grolsch pours with a medium-bodied straw coloring. Decent head that doesn't hang around very long. Mellow nose, slightly acidic.

The taste is relatively smooth and unassuming. Nothing complex going on here. Grolsch uses green bottles, so the beer lends itself to skunkiness over time. If you can get it fresh, you can avoid some of that. As it is, the beer carries a sharp twinge on the tongue. Decently hopped, dry finish. Not bland exactly, just unexciting.

Reasonably good mouthfeel. Good carbonation level. Drinkable, but not something I'd go back for time and again. Grolsch is about as average as a Euro-lager gets. Likeable and friendly, it will always be welcome to come over and hang out once in a while.

Dubblebock, Apr 06, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I haven't had this beer in a while but since its now Spring I thought I would kick back on the porch and enjoy a couple. This has a nice crisp fresh taste and the beer pours a pale yellow, the smell is kind of skunky and strong but once you get past that its a very nice warm-weather brew. For a lower-end Euro beer its one of my summer favorites.
I paid 3.49 per bottle.

Roderick, Apr 05, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Every time I go to a get together I try to bring some samplers with me. It's kind of embarassing at first. But, once you get someone to try anything other the usual Coors, Bud, or Miller, you're kind of always on the VIP list. Grolsh is a good beer to start someone off in the right direction. I know it's mass produced but so are Beemer's, and , look at them compared to a tin can Cadillac. Europeans seem to take a little more pride in what they do. And, compared to the mass produced garbage made in the U.S., if this is one of Europe's lawn mower beers, I wouldn't mind getting a grass cutting job in Holland. This beer has a nice light appearance and doesn't have to be chilled with nitrogen to enjoy. The aroma is consistent with most beers that come in a green bottle. Sort of skunky? Although I'm a fan of strong browns, I can get used to the refreshing taste of this brew. Winter or summer, the mouthfeel is clean and drinkability is good. A lot smoother than Heineken, which is more hoppy. I can down a bunch of these, unlike Bud or Coors, and almost never wake up with my head in a vise. This grog is widely available in my area and it's not overly priced making it a good choice to have if the fridge in case your Miller buddies stop over. If you're one of the 'Big Three' drinkers, do us all a favor. Instead of spending your cash on piss water which only funds commercials that jam up the air waves, buy a case of Grolsch. Trust me, you'll never have a windmill advertisement interrupt your favorite TV show.

cro250klr, Mar 28, 2005
3.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

There was a guy at his little sample booth hand out six packs of Grolsch like it was the cool new beer. I haven't had a bottle of this beer in quite awhile but I found myself at the till with a six pack in my hand. You know this is still one of the better mass produced euro lagers that can be found anywhere. Grassy, fresh and well finished I will try not to make it another five years before I try this again.

canucklehead, Mar 25, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

I likes me a nice, crisp lager from time to time and Grolsch fills that role well. A lot of people say this smells skunky (and the name of the beer certainly doesn't roll off of the tongue) but I never found the smell to be unpleasant.
Crisp, clean, a touch on the bitter side; I tend to drink this straight out of the bottle but the pours I remember have had a decent head, the beer itself being yellow gold, or a golden yellow.
I'm pleased to see that this is becoming more available. Perhaps one day some fortunate soul will mistake a bottle of this for a bottle of Heineken and become a convert.

ommegangpbr, Mar 09, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Smells of grass or fresh cut hayfield and a bit of a skunky smell. The taste is more or the same. Earthy and grassy with a skunk taste. I dont really like this beer. It pours a pale brown with nice bubbles and carbonation. The only thing interesting about the beer is the bottle itself. The grolsch bottle is different and very interesting.

SaCkErZ9, Mar 06, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

Presentation: 500ml can.

Appearance: Dark golden color (very classic) with very good head, but no retention.

Smell: AWFUL. It stinks like piss. Sorry, but there's no better way to say it.

Taste: Bitter. Hops Very clean finish / almost no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation and fun to drink.

Drinkability: Average, but I have to say this beer got its own personnality and it seems to be exceptionnal for an euro pale lager. (pale?)

Barraclou, Mar 05, 2005
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a slightly hazy pale yellow. Great head retention! Has a good amount of carbonation to it.

Smells like soft grains, with some faint hop aroma.

Very clean taste. Has some grassy grains and some faint sweet malts. Hops are some what faint, but are present.

Medium/light body and has a clean dry finish.

This beer is pretty much a decent Euro pale lager. Nothing overwhelming, just a good beer to drink with a hearty meal.

Luigi, Mar 02, 2005
3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

The little POS tag in the 4 pack caught my eye just the one word, SCHTOP! So I grabbed some swing tops from the back of the cooler (away from the light, damn green bottles) praying that they would be ok.

Apperance: OK, I admit it, I like the bottles. Back in my college days my roomate and I bought a case of these so that he could bottle his homebrew in them. The beer in the bottle is light golden, clear. A big foamy head after pouring faded to just a ring around the glass as I let it sit.

Smell: Grassy, a little hoppy. I'm just happy this one is not skunked.

Taste: A little malty sweetness, followed by a hop finish, Both flavors are a little week, but the beer is well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Thinner in body than I remember, crisp, lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is one of those beers that when its good and fresh its very good and drinkable. However due to the green bottles (lightstruck beer) and what I think is an occasional bad seal on the swing top this is one of those beers that gets bad in a hurry. Purchase at you own risk, unless you buy from a reputable store that you know the stock is good. I've seen the regular crown caps, but have never purchased these before. I guess I just like the swingtop too much, to me its unique.

BigRedN, Feb 25, 2005
1.73/5  rDev -44.2%

Man skunk city ive had beers that were questionable about skunk but now i know what it is. Poured out straw colored,with a 2 finger head.Pale grainy taste with slight hop ending with metallic aftertaste.Not a very appealing beer,but a cool reusable bottle.

tweeder263, Feb 25, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured with a frothy bubbly head.

Golden straw colored - decent light and zippy (I've never used the word zippy before until now... shutup). Smell of spicy hops, probably saaz.

I was expecting nasty skunk given the green bottle, but I was actually surprised. It was light and even though I could taste a little wet carboard - it was actually a pleasant brew. Went well with the hot dogs and burgers from our porch grill.

I'm a bit biased since I'm a homebrewer and these bottles are highly sought out... but I judged this one purely on taste.

Ok stuff.

cncbofh, Feb 02, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear gold...polished brass?...little head, minimal carbonation.

Smells like a skunky Heineken. Then corn?

Taste starts clean, corn lagerish, as it should I guess. Then has a pleasing bitter finish. But the finish isn't long enough or intense enough to sustain interest.

Mouthfeel wasn't too bad for a beer with little carbonation. Not too thin, but certainly not full.

Nothing special, but certain drinkable. I'm guessing this would provide for wicked gas and headaches after three or four. The weak hop character would ultimately taint the palate driving you to consume Doritos (Cool Ranch) or Little Debbie Fudge Cakes in order to mask the unwelcome flavor.

This is good for one or two when nothing better is available.

pentathlete, Jan 30, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Grabbed for $8 a 12-pack in cans. Which were only 11.2 ounces. Weak. But hopefully things aren't lightstruck. Grolsch is decent to above/average when really, really fresh and not light struck.

Well, euro-lager it still is ... but miles above what it is from the light-struck Green bottle. A rather nice lace atop a pissy body, but not too fizzy like most macro-swill. I have trouble believing there's no corn here.

Altogether ... not too bad, and fairly cheap drinkin'. Though why must they screw the drinker out of that .8 beer?

GreenWBush, Jan 25, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

Grolsch Premium Lager (with an "L" it's not the Grosch Pils / Sorry Todd ;>(

The last of a six pack of pints in the famous green swing top bottles. Bottled on and best by dates on neck lable. Pours a clear pale gold color with 2" of white foamy head that eventually falls and laces my 0.5 L. Pilsener glass. Under this showy head a consistent bead of small bubbles raises a light hop aroma with little if any from its malted barley.

Taste dry and crispy. The classic Bohemian Pilsener style calls for medium to high bitterness and this is just barely medium. Its Nobel type hops provide low hop aroma and taste. Good carbonation and mouthfeel on the light side. Low malt flavor.

Emptys great for homebrewing. Although this is their principal money maker they offer several fine beers.

karst, Jan 24, 2005

Another euro green glass lager. Clear straw color, 3/4" if wgite foamy head. Grassy malt smell, no hop presence whatsoever (carries on to the taste), slight biscuit tones/ Taste is a grassy malt lager like so many I have had. Gets all 3's for not being bad, but not bring ing anything new to the style.

TastyTaste, Dec 26, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

I got a bottle of this from a friend who just had one laying around. It is a 12 oz bottle and the beer has been chilled. I am using a pint glass to sample. The beer pours a very light clear yellow with a foamy bleached white head rising up easily about 1 cm. The head gradually fades to a surface layer.
Aroma is immediately apparent and is dominated by skunk but some grainy lager malt and lemony citrus hops play through my nostrils as well. The body of the beer is fairly lite and has a fine fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is not as expected with little to no skunk. I get grainy malt and earthy and spicy hops. The sweet malt starts the beer and the hops bring up the rear. The beer is crisp and refreshing and less skunky than the nose advertises, just not very exciting.

sulldaddy, Dec 17, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +17.7%

This lager pours and looks the part of a good beer. At first it smelled terribly skunked, but the skunkiness faded away and it doesn't taste skunky at all.

The taste is crisp, surprisingly malty for its tone.. and pleasant, very pleasant. Behind the malt is a subtle sweetness, but it's not over-powering at all. And there's a nice, medium finish. The carbonation is also worth mentioning, it starts out vigorous, then slows to a mellow trickle.

I think this one would pair well with seafood (shellfish) and chips.

MrSeth, Dec 15, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a pale straw pils color with an adequate head; nice lacing, too. White bready in its malt, some spicy hops, and an underlying mustiness mostly make up the aroma. It's actually quite good when you know you have a fresh (to the U.S.) bottle. It is rather thin overall, but the dull malt crispness and the spiciness from the Saaz hops really tie the whole beer into one drinkable knot; provided the drinker is thirsty for a pale lager.

crookedhalo, Dec 08, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -24.2%

Smooth head when poured Dutch-style - it seems only certain Northern European pale lagers have a potable head - domestic beers have a less creamy head. Big hoppy-grassy taste, not very refreshing, taste a little different but not necessarily good. Bottle is cool, 473mL seems a random capacity, but the bottles are perfect for sticking home brews in. Overall it's OK but it's sad when you're buying a beer for the bottle it comes in!

Weizenmensch, Dec 07, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance-dark golden color, nice clarity, aggressive foamy head that sticks around with lace clinging to the glass.

Smell-lot of grain, lot of skunk, little alcohol, not too good.

Taste-grainy hops come out a huge kick of spicy hops which is really nice, skunk flavor is there which hurts it, goes down fairly smooth, finishes dry.

Mouthfeel-very grainy, spicy hop flavor, dryness at the end is not good.

Drinkability-a little bit skunky, its ok, you could get away with it, drink this if your into more aggressive hops

Overall-I like the aggressive grainy flavor of this brew, combined with spicy hops it makes for an interesting kick, however, the skunk here is far more than i'm used too, which hurts it, plus it could go down a little bit smoother. Give this beer a shot though, it is distinctive for me thus far among the Euro Pales.

TheDeuce, Dec 05, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

fizzy-yellow beer appearancewith a good size white head that leaves a sticky lace on the glass.
strong grassy hay aroma.
decent level of hops show themselves as bitterness and flavor. malt has a smoothness to it.
underlying buttery sweetness starts to come out as it warms a bit. not bad really while cold. fairly crisp, but nothing outstanding.

joecast, Nov 12, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +1%

Grolsch pours a pale yellow. It forms a white head which rapidly pops (sorry), and dies down to a white film on top of the beer. It leaves a very faint lacing on the glass, but nothing to get exited about.

The beer has the standard Euro green bottle skunk to it.

The flavor is typical of the type. It is perhaps slightly less pronounced than "the other beer from Holland". The herbal/malty flavor is light as is the hop finish.

I generally like Euro Pale Lagers and Pilsners. This is an OK rendition. I must say that I enjoyed the six pack from which this particular beer came.

It's a good beer to buy if you like this type of beer and if it is on sale. I would never get a craving for this particular beer. What I'm trying to say is it's good enough to drink and enjoy, but not enough to actively seek out. If I feel like this sort of beer and I have the choice between this and "it's major competion" I would consider price in the equation, but if the price were the same, I'd very rarely drink it.

Tang07, Nov 06, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -41%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with a small bubbly white head with very little retention. Carbonation is quite low which is not what I would expect from a Premium Lager. Aroma is quite weak with maybe some malt in the background. Taste is also quite weak with some skunky taste at the end instead of dryness. Overall lack of crispness with funky taste at the end, not one I will be seeking again anytime soon.

Phyl21ca, Nov 05, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -45.2%

Appearance: The swing-top bottle is cool looking, no doubt...uhm...that's the only compliment I've got for this one. It's a thin, straw-colored concoction that doesn't look any different from the cheap American lagers or your typical pale lager.

Smell: I could have guessed this smell before even opening the bottle. Any beer from Europe in a green bottle smells skunky...i'm convinced.

Taste: meh.. some weird sort of vegetable/grainy taste that barely breaks through the pure skunk smell and taste of this "lovely" beverage. Unbalanced, and not good.

Mouthfeel: Fair carbonation..weak, light mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I really can't envision a scenario in which I can ever see myself drinking this beer again. A cool looking bottle for my collection..that's the only thing I got out of the "Grolsch experience"

hero27, Oct 27, 2004
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.