Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
2.15/5  rDev -30.6%

I bought this as part of a sampler and I'm glad I did. Only one, drink it, don't pay much of a price, review and don't invite it back. It wasn't so bad, it smelled like Ballantine, skunky ale, and in the glass, just like Ballantine. It looked yellow, just like any beer, with a sticky head that almost looked like it contained fibers, really odd. Mouth was a little sour, good foaming, and went down like a beer. Average. Taste was , well, skunky. Ballantine has a better flavor and is way cheaper. There was some hop bite but not much else. Because the price was higher, because this seemed like a heiny (Ick) It was worth trying anyway...

Ricochet, Nov 06, 2005
2.35/5  rDev -24.2%

Pours a clear, medium gold with a small, white, foamy head that quickly diminishes to a thick film. The smell is lightly skunky and cookie-like with some grassy hops. The taste is dry and fruity with more light skunk on the finish. It has a light-medium body, chalky texture and lively carbonation. A pretty typical low-end Euro that relies on its gimmick more than its quality. I’m not impressed and won’t be getting this again.

ski271, Oct 30, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

I recommend drinking this from a frozen mug. The taste is just better in a frozen mug for this one, I have tried from the bottle on 2 occassions and it just tastes like the rest of the Holland beers. From a mug, it somehow has its own flavor. It pours a thick foamy head that lasts a bit before dying down. The feel is average and it has some skunk smell but not so bad. Not bad considering it is fairly cheap compared to most other imports.

beeroclock, Oct 26, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%

I couldn't find one of the signature Grolsch bottles at my local store, so I settled for a boring pop-cap 12oz. I poured into a tall glass. Hmm, a huge foamy head... tons of bubbles, deep yellow color that regrettably reminds me of pee... still could be promising...

Bring the glass to my mouth -- what's this? Skunk?! Smells like a Heineken! Retch. Take a long sip. Bitter, hoppy, kind of watery. Another sip. Catch a slight sweet taste before the bitter overpowers it. Tastes like hops. Refreshing and fizzy, which I like. Smells awful, which I don't. Bubbles still rising to the top after ten minutes of increasingly smaller sips. Ended up sacrificing half the beer to the kitchen sink.

I would try Grolsch again if an attractive female thrust one in my hand, but I wouldn't pay for one. The foul smell ruined this one for me, even though it's not an awful taste. I have yet to find a "Euro Lager" I've really enjoyed. Try a single before you buy a 6 pack.

kkipple, Oct 13, 2005
3.1/5  rDev 0%

A good beer made by the netherlanders, in general is good and recommendable, with mexican food and the buddies meeting, smell good its well balanced hops and malt, its vintage bottle, made a touch of european premium beer, good for the producers, in my country, is rare, but, the reward is good; taste and mothfeel acceptable.

tesguino, Oct 12, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

neat bottle! Poured a pale yellow with impressive white puffy head. Smell is very minimal and could not really be detected over the smells in the restaurant where consumed. Taste was very dry, bitter, and enjoyable.( I was a bit suprised) Good and crisp. Finished very refreshing. While not my favorite style of beer, this one was pretty good. Easy drinking. Paired well with pork loin.

tgbljb, Oct 09, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +19.4%

Not too bad. This has a flavor that somewhat resembles another very popular european lager from the same country, without the pronounced skunkyness. It looks much like it's more popular cousin. the mouthfeel is not much different from most other euro lagers, and is equally as drinkable. Overall, pretty decent. not too bad. And the bottle is pretty cool.

funkengruven, Sep 30, 2005
2.48/5  rDev -20%

This was my reward for playing chauffeur all day. Whoop-de-fucking-do.

Sure looks like a pale lager. It's pale gold with a blotchy white head. It really looks remarkably like piss. Smells grainy and with a little skunk funk. Tastes cold. Mouthfeel is actually slightly harsh, which is like an ugly girl not shaving her legs--with what it's got to offer, it needs all the help it can get. Drinkability? Well, after ten of these, you'd think that furry chick was pretty hot, but the problem is the first nine.

battlekow, Sep 28, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -8.1%

It is an educational experience to attempt to review a beer.
I had always thought this to be pretty damn good.
Its still ok and a easonable drink but it does have its faults.
A dull grain smell is reflected in what to me tastes like sweet cornThere is a malty sweetness in the aftertatse as well Pleasnt enough but would wear thin after a few bottles of this
It is quite bitter and very cleansing so it has great refreshing qualities.So you could happily have a few on a wam day.
Dont get excited but dont be too disappointed

jarmby1711, Sep 26, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +25.2%

A: Light gold. Typical Dutch lager. Great head, lacing and head retention.
S: Lightly hopped. Not sure about the type of hops.. but lightly hopped.
T: Very good. This is a nice lager. It's not over powering and it shouldn't be.
M: Medium. This is no stout. It's a nice lager. Nice mouthfeel for this type of beer.
D: Very good here. I really like this beer. For the price..very good.

I would put this ahead of Heineken. No doubt. And I like Heineken( as far a Euro Macro's go.).

alankwak, Sep 25, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +9%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = golden straw colored, lots of bubbles that rise through the liquid, decent head which goes quickly and leaves a thin film on top, respectable lacing.

Smell = Initial blast of sweet grain followed by mild skunkiness but MUCH better than some of the other mass produced imported lagers.

Taste = Much better than I thought. This sure beats a Heineken. There's a good bit of sweetness that compliments the flavor nicely. Bitter grain taste strongly represents the flavor. This is a better than average tasting beer but not a good one.

Overall = This one defintiely surpassed my expectations. I wouldn't necessarily go out and buy it again but stacked up against the competition it's definitely a step ahead.

LPorter33, Sep 25, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

grolsch is premium like heineken. along with heinney and guinney it's 1 of the few foreign beers i can find at the local grocery store here in Japan, so it gets extra points from me... but it is definitely average.

look, smell, taste, etc.. nothing special, same old lager. drinakable because i got no choice. basically crappy.

davidchollar, Sep 24, 2005
3.65/5  rDev +17.7%

Convinced my girlfriend to get a barrel of this over the cheap stuff for her birthday party at our place last night. On sale for $59.95 at Riley's. Not bad considering Beast (Milwaukee's Best for the uninitiated) is $45.

Pours a vibrant golden color with a frothy white head. Smell is grassy and a little skunky. Taste is grassy, a little skunky, and predominantly malty. Gets a little sweet as it warms. Not a bad drinker for a party. Mouthfeel is bubbly and crisp, body is thin but drinkable. Must say I did my fair share in polishing off that bad boy last night. It comes in those fun swing-tops and mini-kegs as well. I'd have to say it tastes best out of the keg though. For a pale lager, this is some decent stuff if you don't mind a bit of Euro skunk.

Golden2wenty1, Sep 10, 2005
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

Too bad the waitress handed me the bottle sans swingcap. I must not have been too excited about Grolsch if it has taken me this long to even try one (and it's available everywhere around here).

Euro Pale Lagers are one of my least favorite styles, however, in comparison this one isn't bad. It's refreshing, easy to down, a not too complex. I'll buy it if it's on special somewhere.

Backer2004, Sep 01, 2005
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

Its bad when you get more excited over the bottle that the beer comes in than you do the beer. Pours a pale yellow, very clear, highly carbonated beer. Decent head that gradually fades. Smells of noble hops (partly light struck) and modestly sweet. Flavors are subtle and mild. Slight cereal grain sweetness. Light malt profile. Hop bittering and flavors show up moreso than the malt. Causes herbal and grassy flavors. A little bready and yeasty. Mild grapefruit and pear flavors into the finish. Light feel to the mouth. A good beer to chase a pizza.

BEERchitect, Sep 01, 2005
2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

I bought one of the famous swing-top green, 16 oz. green bottles, and I poured it into a standard pint glass.

I popped the top and, and the beer poured a clear gold with more than a finger of very light, airy white head that didn't have any stamina of any kind. The beer stunk like a skunk - I apologize for the rhyme - but the smell began to preoccupy me as I carried on with the rest of the tasting. I really wish that they could stop using the green bottles. They are beautiful, or at least cool, but not worth ruining a beer. Taste is so tied to smell that the beer didn't get a proper tasting because of the smell, and even when finding the flavor favorable to me over other beers of this style I had a difficult time believing it in my own mind as long as the smell persisted.

The taste was clean with a light hop presentce. Mine didn't have the mouthfeel of something overly carbonated. The beer is on the bland side, but less than some of its competitors within this category has always tasted to me. It is easily drinkable because of its light mouthfeel and clean taste, but not something I'll be reaching for again because of a personal lack of interest in the style.

edmundfitzoil, Aug 29, 2005
2.08/5  rDev -32.9%

Cool swingtop bottle, its the best part.

Pale straw with a fizzy head. No lacing

Smells like an exploded skunk.

Taste is a bit astringent. So much skunk aroma I can taste it, wet grain and strange hop twang. BLECH!

Went down alright, but I can honestly say that the swingtop is the best part of the bottled version. Out of the 5L mini keg it isn't bad. I'll give it another go in the future to see if I got a bad offering.

KoG, Aug 12, 2005
2.28/5  rDev -26.5%

I use to like this beer, but since I've been drinking IMHO better brews this stuff basically sucks. Pours a yellow color with lots of carbonation and alittle head, but leaves basically no lacing at all. Kinda of a hoppy scent/skunky. Light to Medium body with a hoppy aftertast. I bought two bottles, but will be hard pressed to drink them both.

Wasatch, Aug 02, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

Is it just me or does that herbal smell and taste kinda remind you Marijuana? It poured a very strawish color with great clarity and a frothy white head. Like I said earlier it had a herbal smell reminiscent of marijuana. It tasted smooth and refreshing and still reminded me of marijuana in its taste but also other sweet and skunky herbs. I enjoyed this beer but probably would not order it again as nothing really stuck out about it. With the exception of the smell ofcourse.

ryantupy, Jul 29, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

good to excellent all aroound brew. Normal apppearence and smell for the style of beer it is. Not quite as bitter was i was expecting. Still an overall pretty good taste. My favortie is still beck for the style but this is still good. Astringenty taste but nothing overly excessive. Felt good in mouth, better colder though. Also for drinkability colder the better, cold will not ruin the flavor of this brew and will make is go down easier.

twi1609372, Jul 25, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Grolsch is a very drinkable brew. It has a nice yellowish copper color. It pour with a one finger head that reduces to nil after a couple of minutes. I get a grainy smell kinda skunky, this could be from the stroage of the beer. The taste is what you would expect from a lager. It has a very bubbly mouthfeel, good and refreshing for a hot day.

aquaderek, Jul 23, 2005
3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a very clear amber, white head fades quick but leaves nice lacing. Smell is sweet and malty, mild skunkiness, little bit of citrus hops, grassy. Sweet malt, skunky middle, smooth with no aftertaste. Wouldn't call Grolsch bad, but its not good. Probably one of the better generic overpriced eurolagers.

Viggo, Jul 22, 2005
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is light golden with arctic white foam that leaves plenty of lacing. Aroma is barley, sulphur and herbal hops. Initial taste contains a silky, or oily coating to the tongue, toast, broccoli, fresh cut grass and bitter hops. This strange combination continues on to the finish which leaves a slightly sweet taste in the mouth. The carbonation is fine, but there is an acerbic bite to this beer that prevents one from wanting another. Might be good with sauerbraten.

palliko, Jul 16, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tried this dutch with low expectations, nevertheless it's not all that bad. At least if you don't mind the skunkiness.

Appearance: Straw yellow with a decent head and almost no lacing.

Smell: As I already said it has a skunkiness that I simply don't like.

Taste: Crisp lager, quite refreshing in this 98°F night (yes I wrote night; I live in Northeastern México).

Mouthfeel: Nice bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: I can have several, especially in a hot Summer day. But I can find better options.

Pepeton, Jul 14, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +1%

This stuff came in a cool bottle with a snap top rubber top. Sweet. Poured out to a nice golden color with good carbonation and a nice enough head. Odors of burnt hops and barley were noted, and seemed a touch on the skunky side, but everytime i've had this brew, it's been there, so I guess that's how it's supposed to be. Flavor was well enough. Hops and earthy flavors were present, as was a zinc like taste on the very end, almost like swallowing a vitamin without water. Not a good thing. Finished smooth and crisp. There are better lagers out there, but this isn't bad and worthy of a try.

Frozensoul327, Jun 19, 2005
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.