Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

Grolsch Premium Lager (with an "L" it's not the Grosch Pils / Sorry Todd ;>(

The last of a six pack of pints in the famous green swing top bottles. Bottled on and best by dates on neck lable. Pours a clear pale gold color with 2" of white foamy head that eventually falls and laces my 0.5 L. Pilsener glass. Under this showy head a consistent bead of small bubbles raises a light hop aroma with little if any from its malted barley.

Taste dry and crispy. The classic Bohemian Pilsener style calls for medium to high bitterness and this is just barely medium. Its Nobel type hops provide low hop aroma and taste. Good carbonation and mouthfeel on the light side. Low malt flavor.

Emptys great for homebrewing. Although this is their principal money maker they offer several fine beers.

karst, Jan 24, 2005

Another euro green glass lager. Clear straw color, 3/4" if wgite foamy head. Grassy malt smell, no hop presence whatsoever (carries on to the taste), slight biscuit tones/ Taste is a grassy malt lager like so many I have had. Gets all 3's for not being bad, but not bring ing anything new to the style.

TastyTaste, Dec 26, 2004
2.7/5  rDev -12.9%

I got a bottle of this from a friend who just had one laying around. It is a 12 oz bottle and the beer has been chilled. I am using a pint glass to sample. The beer pours a very light clear yellow with a foamy bleached white head rising up easily about 1 cm. The head gradually fades to a surface layer.
Aroma is immediately apparent and is dominated by skunk but some grainy lager malt and lemony citrus hops play through my nostrils as well. The body of the beer is fairly lite and has a fine fizzy carbonation.
Flavor is not as expected with little to no skunk. I get grainy malt and earthy and spicy hops. The sweet malt starts the beer and the hops bring up the rear. The beer is crisp and refreshing and less skunky than the nose advertises, just not very exciting.

sulldaddy, Dec 17, 2004
3.65/5  rDev +17.7%

This lager pours and looks the part of a good beer. At first it smelled terribly skunked, but the skunkiness faded away and it doesn't taste skunky at all.

The taste is crisp, surprisingly malty for its tone.. and pleasant, very pleasant. Behind the malt is a subtle sweetness, but it's not over-powering at all. And there's a nice, medium finish. The carbonation is also worth mentioning, it starts out vigorous, then slows to a mellow trickle.

I think this one would pair well with seafood (shellfish) and chips.

MrSeth, Dec 15, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%

Pours a pale straw pils color with an adequate head; nice lacing, too. White bready in its malt, some spicy hops, and an underlying mustiness mostly make up the aroma. It's actually quite good when you know you have a fresh (to the U.S.) bottle. It is rather thin overall, but the dull malt crispness and the spiciness from the Saaz hops really tie the whole beer into one drinkable knot; provided the drinker is thirsty for a pale lager.

crookedhalo, Dec 08, 2004
2.35/5  rDev -24.2%

Smooth head when poured Dutch-style - it seems only certain Northern European pale lagers have a potable head - domestic beers have a less creamy head. Big hoppy-grassy taste, not very refreshing, taste a little different but not necessarily good. Bottle is cool, 473mL seems a random capacity, but the bottles are perfect for sticking home brews in. Overall it's OK but it's sad when you're buying a beer for the bottle it comes in!

Weizenmensch, Dec 07, 2004
2.9/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance-dark golden color, nice clarity, aggressive foamy head that sticks around with lace clinging to the glass.

Smell-lot of grain, lot of skunk, little alcohol, not too good.

Taste-grainy hops come out a huge kick of spicy hops which is really nice, skunk flavor is there which hurts it, goes down fairly smooth, finishes dry.

Mouthfeel-very grainy, spicy hop flavor, dryness at the end is not good.

Drinkability-a little bit skunky, its ok, you could get away with it, drink this if your into more aggressive hops

Overall-I like the aggressive grainy flavor of this brew, combined with spicy hops it makes for an interesting kick, however, the skunk here is far more than i'm used too, which hurts it, plus it could go down a little bit smoother. Give this beer a shot though, it is distinctive for me thus far among the Euro Pales.

TheDeuce, Dec 05, 2004
3.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

fizzy-yellow beer appearancewith a good size white head that leaves a sticky lace on the glass.
strong grassy hay aroma.
decent level of hops show themselves as bitterness and flavor. malt has a smoothness to it.
underlying buttery sweetness starts to come out as it warms a bit. not bad really while cold. fairly crisp, but nothing outstanding.

joecast, Nov 12, 2004
3.13/5  rDev +1%

Grolsch pours a pale yellow. It forms a white head which rapidly pops (sorry), and dies down to a white film on top of the beer. It leaves a very faint lacing on the glass, but nothing to get exited about.

The beer has the standard Euro green bottle skunk to it.

The flavor is typical of the type. It is perhaps slightly less pronounced than "the other beer from Holland". The herbal/malty flavor is light as is the hop finish.

I generally like Euro Pale Lagers and Pilsners. This is an OK rendition. I must say that I enjoyed the six pack from which this particular beer came.

It's a good beer to buy if you like this type of beer and if it is on sale. I would never get a craving for this particular beer. What I'm trying to say is it's good enough to drink and enjoy, but not enough to actively seek out. If I feel like this sort of beer and I have the choice between this and "it's major competion" I would consider price in the equation, but if the price were the same, I'd very rarely drink it.

Tang07, Nov 06, 2004
1.83/5  rDev -41%

Bottle: Poured a golden colored beer with a small bubbly white head with very little retention. Carbonation is quite low which is not what I would expect from a Premium Lager. Aroma is quite weak with maybe some malt in the background. Taste is also quite weak with some skunky taste at the end instead of dryness. Overall lack of crispness with funky taste at the end, not one I will be seeking again anytime soon.

Phyl21ca, Nov 05, 2004
1.7/5  rDev -45.2%

Appearance: The swing-top bottle is cool looking, no doubt...uhm...that's the only compliment I've got for this one. It's a thin, straw-colored concoction that doesn't look any different from the cheap American lagers or your typical pale lager.

Smell: I could have guessed this smell before even opening the bottle. Any beer from Europe in a green bottle smells skunky...i'm convinced.

Taste: meh.. some weird sort of vegetable/grainy taste that barely breaks through the pure skunk smell and taste of this "lovely" beverage. Unbalanced, and not good.

Mouthfeel: Fair carbonation..weak, light mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I really can't envision a scenario in which I can ever see myself drinking this beer again. A cool looking bottle for my collection..that's the only thing I got out of the "Grolsch experience"

hero27, Oct 27, 2004
2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

Has a much different character than I expected when I finally came to buying some for myself to review as I rememebered little more than that I thought it was a bit bitterer than its euro-lager contemporaries.
In person it is the expectable euro-lager colour but I was really quite dissapointed with its (lack of) head. It seems like I can taste butterry flavours in it which are usually a massive beer no-no (well at least they are in homebrew) and the finish isn't quite as spectacular as I recall it being either. It tastes "strange" to me, will have to update this review when next get a chance to try it as am not sure whether there is anything "wrong" with the beer and/or my sample bottle of it or whether it just isn't quite as much of a xerox as many other euro-lagers.

jahsausage, Oct 20, 2004
3.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Not an outstanding Euro-Lager, but not a terrible one either. Slightly less pale than some of its competitors, which I always like. Likewise, while it doesn't smell too terribly different from some of the competition, it does smell slightly stronger, which is at least something. Taste is just a tad more grainy than I expected, with just a hint of bitterness.

All around a solid beer, but I really would have liked just a bit more oomph.

SetarconeX, Oct 18, 2004
3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a normal gold with a shiny white head that dissapears pretty quick with no trace of lacing. Smells like a 3-day old dead skunk. Damn green bottles. Taste isn't too bad, a little above average. Tastes of grains, breads and hops. Nothing spectacular. Feels a little too carbonated in the mouth, but not horrible. Has a bit of a nasty aftertaste. I could see myself sitting with a 6 pack of this here and there. Worth a try if not too much else is available.

santoslhalper, Sep 24, 2004
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer pours a pale yellow color with a dimunitive shortlived head and no lace to speak of. The aroma is of grainy malts, fresh cut hay and a slight hoppyness. The taste starts off with a hit of hop bitterness and bread and lingers into a malty sweetness. Theres a little bit of detergent/medicinal flavor in the finish. The mouthfeel is plain, subtle and average. This beer is average all over. It has no standout qualities but also no serious defects. A little bland though.

CAMRAhardliner, Sep 19, 2004
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

I had this out out a 16 oz green bottled served in a pint glass.

Best before 12/04 notched on the small label.

The appearance is a clear yellow with a fluffy 1" head. Some rocky white lacings stick on the side of the glass.

Smell was grainy with an imported green bottle skunk aroma in the background.

Taste is smooth at first with a peppery finish. Very clean tasting brew that tastes grassy and grainy.

Hibernator, Aug 28, 2004
2.58/5  rDev -16.8%

The beer pours a clear golden yellow color with about a finger of head that falls to slight cover over the beer. The nose is much better than I remember, so maybe I got a fresher bottle. I'm not getting much of the skunk I associate with this beer. What a surprise. The nose does seem a bit weak to me as well. I'm getting the malty sweetness, but not much of anything else. There is an aftertase to this one that I don't like. Its bitter, but not in a good way as with a good IPA. I don't know what it is, but I don't like it. I can't get past that. The beer is about a moderate thickness with a good carb on it. I don't think I want more than one of these every year or so. Its just not my favorite.

kmpitz2, Aug 24, 2004
3.85/5  rDev +24.2%

I have been slamming these lately and am very happy. Have had the bottles, 5L mini kegs and cans. I base this on the cans (mini keg is similar and I dont seem to like the bottled stuff as much)

The appearance is fine, nothing special. I have to admit 80% of the time this is based on the syling of the can but when I do pour it I find it a decent blond colour with not much head but nice carbonation.
The smell is pleasant and the taste is great. I can really drink these down without any problems. A very smooth lager with a nice finish and great aftertaste. The smell is more floral than anything else and the overall impression of this beer is very good.

The best part is that you can always find some of these in a pinch when you are at the local lcbo.

SaunaKing, Jul 31, 2004
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Not bad, pours a clear yellow with a frothy foamy white head. The smell is very grainy, hints of corn and sourdough, slight skunk as well. The taste is suprisingly a great combo of light malts and grain, a pleasing refreshing lager, light bodied and refreshing to the taste. Suprisingly decent.

beertaster13, Jul 30, 2004
2.55/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pale yellow-amber with a fair number of fine particulates. The head is two shades darker than bright white and has a little substance to it. It looks frothy, but not airy, and falls to a thin, lumpy disk, leaving a few scattered scraps of lace. Unimpressive nose of cooked, slightly sour grain and mildly pungent hops.

The flavor isn't appealing, though it stops just short of bad. Again, sour grain with a sharp, flinty bitterness and a faint metallic echo. Short finish (a blessing) and a too-thin mouthfeel contribute to the sheer ordinariness of this beer. It's actually a step or two below ordinary, especially if it's permitted to warm at all.

My advice is to drink Grolsch Premium Lager ice-cold or not at all, preferably the latter. I'm sure that The Netherlands can do better than this.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 10, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I wish they spent as much money on the beer as they do on the bottle. Anyway, i like them for homebrewing and can controll the light affect on the beer.

The beer seems just like another eurolagar to me. Finger of crisp white head, soon departed. Golden beverage with slight beeding.

The nose really turns me off. The smell is just off. Skunky? I dont know.

Flavor is allright but a little sour for me. It reflects the smell.

mouthfeel is decent, but overall this bev is not quite right.

elmocoso, Jul 08, 2004
3.95/5  rDev +27.4%

This is one of my favorite imports. Not only is it as smooth as can be but cork-hinged pop top is the coolest bottle I may have ever seen. Above average on every level exceptional on any either. Drinkability is probably the low point of the beer, as after 6 or so an odd aftertaste begins to develop. An overall great brew.

cptnjck101, Jul 08, 2004
4.18/5  rDev +34.8%

Appearance: Large thick head, very clear. Minimal bubbles.

Aroma: Strong floral hop aroma, which tends to have a citrusness to it as well.

Taste: Strong bitter taste, with a fullness to the body underlining. Bitterness quickly subsides and leaves a mildly bitter aftertaste.
Overall a very nice appearance. Wonderful to the nose. Pleasing taste, due to its balanced use of hops and grains. Aftertaste is slightly acidic. But on a whole, very nice.

BobLuvBeer, Jul 04, 2004
2.98/5  rDev -3.9%

The fancy "ceramic" top makes a nice presentation.

This bottle opened with a big CO2 pop.The foamy white pour was equally charged up. Nothing notable in the nose- perhaps a slight graininess.

The flavor, too was pleasant but non-descript. It was not until the finish that I picked up a sour aftertaste ... not sure if that was a green bottle condition or what.

Overall, acceptable lager but given the price/value I'm not sure what occasions or drinkers it fits.

brewQ, Apr 15, 2004
2.65/5  rDev -14.5%

Always seems to be on special at my local bw-3's, i guess they don't move a lot of them. Pours a standard golden straw color with a medium sized white head. Has the same general smell as a heineken left in the sun. Maybe the skunkiness lends some flavor to this beer. There is a little bitterness coming through but nothing too major. Mouthfeel is nothing special and neither is drinkability, I can't picture myself sessioning this one. It won't be my first choice for a lager but probably a minute step above the BMC crowd.

soper2000, Apr 14, 2004
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.