Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

Grolsch is a very drinkable brew. It has a nice yellowish copper color. It pour with a one finger head that reduces to nil after a couple of minutes. I get a grainy smell kinda skunky, this could be from the stroage of the beer. The taste is what you would expect from a lager. It has a very bubbly mouthfeel, good and refreshing for a hot day.

3.18/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours a very clear amber, white head fades quick but leaves nice lacing. Smell is sweet and malty, mild skunkiness, little bit of citrus hops, grassy. Sweet malt, skunky middle, smooth with no aftertaste. Wouldn't call Grolsch bad, but its not good. Probably one of the better generic overpriced eurolagers.

3.45/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Appearance is light golden with arctic white foam that leaves plenty of lacing. Aroma is barley, sulphur and herbal hops. Initial taste contains a silky, or oily coating to the tongue, toast, broccoli, fresh cut grass and bitter hops. This strange combination continues on to the finish which leaves a slightly sweet taste in the mouth. The carbonation is fine, but there is an acerbic bite to this beer that prevents one from wanting another. Might be good with sauerbraten.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Tried this dutch with low expectations, nevertheless it's not all that bad. At least if you don't mind the skunkiness.

Appearance: Straw yellow with a decent head and almost no lacing.

Smell: As I already said it has a skunkiness that I simply don't like.

Taste: Crisp lager, quite refreshing in this 98°F night (yes I wrote night; I live in Northeastern México).

Mouthfeel: Nice bitter aftertaste.

Drinkability: I can have several, especially in a hot Summer day. But I can find better options.

3.13/5  rDev +1%

This stuff came in a cool bottle with a snap top rubber top. Sweet. Poured out to a nice golden color with good carbonation and a nice enough head. Odors of burnt hops and barley were noted, and seemed a touch on the skunky side, but everytime i've had this brew, it's been there, so I guess that's how it's supposed to be. Flavor was well enough. Hops and earthy flavors were present, as was a zinc like taste on the very end, almost like swallowing a vitamin without water. Not a good thing. Finished smooth and crisp. There are better lagers out there, but this isn't bad and worthy of a try.

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

Tried this beer for free by a pint on tap yesterday, so I didn't have pay the usual, sky-high price of 2.60 pounds for the sake of reviewing something available in most pubs in London~~

It pours a bright, dark golden hue, coming with a very foamy and pillowy thick whte head sustaining thoughout the drink, due to fierce carbonation I reckon. The nose is "floating" and refreshing aroma of biscuity mals and grassy, lime-peel like hops. The taste is slightly more pronounced than the aroma--medium-citrusy hops and butter-biscuity mals, leading to quite round bitter-sweetness at the back and a quite inense mouthfeel of dryish bitterness in the finish, though not lingering well. The overall mouthfeel is soft and the aftertaste round and mild, as opposed to its fizzy outlook. But the flavour could certainly have been richer to be tasty. Still an easy drinking, thirst-quenching beer, though at the expense of richer bitterness and maltiness...

3.5/5  rDev +12.9%

Nice green flip-top bottle. Nice pour. Dark golden, attractive fizz, nice, retentive head.

Smells of pleasant skunk and grain. Very sharp smell, like a lot other imported greenies.

Bitter upfront, a grainy bitter, not hoppy, moving into light skunk in the middle, ending with slight nodes of fruit. A dry skunky aftertaste.

I can go for skunk once in a while, and this is probably the best skunky beer I've ever had. If it wasn't so damn expensive I might consider using this for session drinking at parties.

2.95/5  rDev -4.8%

12 oz. bottle in a "surprise pack" (a brown paper bag with 8 beers for $4.99 at Trader Joe's).

Pours a very slightly cloudy pale yellow with a thin white head that collapsed to nothing (ok, ok, really a thin cover over the beer) in about 2 minutes. (BTW- I'm drinking this in a Brooklyn Lager Pint glass- is that a crime?).

Aroma is an immediate sharp, bitter, off flavor so common to Heineken, Beck's, and others of the sort. Really hard to enjoy- nothing else comes past it.

Flavor contains the same off sharpness, but it's more subdued and easier to handle. Malty, bitter lemon, grassy, a little oily as well as the sharpness at the back and sides of the mouth. OK on a hot day, but not a classic.

3.05/5  rDev -1.6%

Green twelve ounce bottle with a silver and green label. Cap not flip top.

Appearance: Nice 1.5 finger head. Clear golden color.

Smell: Skunky odor. Not sure if this is supposed to be characteristic, but is always how grolsch and heinikens smell.

Taste: Slighty hop notes with a hoppy aftertaste that is very slight. Besides that it is pretty bland for the strong odor.

Mouthfeel: Plain.

Drinkability: Not something I would necessarily turn down if offered, but would not pick it if I had a choice.

3.15/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Light gold color. Thick head with moderate retention. Little bit of lacing, but not much. Pretty ordinary.

Smell - Noticable maltiness. A little adjuncty / corny? Not real inspiring.

Taste - Starts sweet like a macro, but has a definite bitter bite. Change of pace from many pale lagers in that it falls on the bitter side of the balance rather than the sweet. Metallic aftertaste not a plus though. A little better than most.

Mouthfeel - Pretty good. Yeah it's still watery, but it's fuller than most. Heavy carbonated tang doesn't help.

Drinkability - Pretty light and refreshing. Just a hint more bitter than most. All in all, not bad. Not great, but not bad. I'd have another.

I like the presentation here. The bare bottle, the stopper, it all tells me that the effort was placed on the beer not the packaging. The beer itself, however, tells me this stuff is mass-produced for the masses. Darn you sneaky marketers.

On that note, I'd like to share the following marketing message translated by Babelfish from the Grolsch website:

"The new publicity campaign of Grolsch has gone of start! With new tv-commercials, advertisements and still much more. And all that with a new slogan: Beer on his Grolsch!"

That's some catchy stuff.

3.4/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden colour with a large foamy white head. Sweet malt aromas, some skunk. Taste was decent - malty sweetness, with a dry, bitter aftertaste. Hops balance the beer. Herbal, smooth and refreshing. Better than the average euro lager. Had from a 1.5 L bottle.

Light bodied, very pale amber with a decent foamy white head.

There is a mildly hoppy aroma.

Taste is first mild hops then a bit of malt sweetness, maybe just a trace of fruit, followed by a crisp but mild hops finish.

Refreshing, very easy to drink. Should be a good hot weather or pizza beer.

2.6/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Poured from the standard 12oz bottle, not with the flip top. Pouring comes out a pale straw color with good clarity. The head came out a little over an inch in a foamy white. The lacing is very nice and sticks well to the glass.

The smell is grassy and sweet, typical of a lager, IMO. The taste is neither hoppy nor malty. The taste is very mild with not many distinquishing characteristics. A smooth standby that probably goes well with food as it is kind of light.

3.38/5  rDev +9%

I've gotten to the point where I think of Grolsch as one of those old standby beers. You know, the kind you reach for whenever you don't really want to think about what you're drinking too much. Something that lacks a distinct personality, but like that old college buddy, you still let it hang around sometimes. I used to think this was a really cool beer to drink, if for no other reason than the cool flip-top bottle. Nowadays I don't see the flip-top very often. I usually see Grolsch in the more standard popcap bottle in six-packs. It usually prices out at around $6.99/sixer here in the Central Texas market.

Grolsch pours with a medium-bodied straw coloring. Decent head that doesn't hang around very long. Mellow nose, slightly acidic.

The taste is relatively smooth and unassuming. Nothing complex going on here. Grolsch uses green bottles, so the beer lends itself to skunkiness over time. If you can get it fresh, you can avoid some of that. As it is, the beer carries a sharp twinge on the tongue. Decently hopped, dry finish. Not bland exactly, just unexciting.

Reasonably good mouthfeel. Good carbonation level. Drinkable, but not something I'd go back for time and again. Grolsch is about as average as a Euro-lager gets. Likeable and friendly, it will always be welcome to come over and hang out once in a while.

3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I haven't had this beer in a while but since its now Spring I thought I would kick back on the porch and enjoy a couple. This has a nice crisp fresh taste and the beer pours a pale yellow, the smell is kind of skunky and strong but once you get past that its a very nice warm-weather brew. For a lower-end Euro beer its one of my summer favorites.
I paid 3.49 per bottle.

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Every time I go to a get together I try to bring some samplers with me. It's kind of embarassing at first. But, once you get someone to try anything other the usual Coors, Bud, or Miller, you're kind of always on the VIP list. Grolsh is a good beer to start someone off in the right direction. I know it's mass produced but so are Beemer's, and , look at them compared to a tin can Cadillac. Europeans seem to take a little more pride in what they do. And, compared to the mass produced garbage made in the U.S., if this is one of Europe's lawn mower beers, I wouldn't mind getting a grass cutting job in Holland. This beer has a nice light appearance and doesn't have to be chilled with nitrogen to enjoy. The aroma is consistent with most beers that come in a green bottle. Sort of skunky? Although I'm a fan of strong browns, I can get used to the refreshing taste of this brew. Winter or summer, the mouthfeel is clean and drinkability is good. A lot smoother than Heineken, which is more hoppy. I can down a bunch of these, unlike Bud or Coors, and almost never wake up with my head in a vise. This grog is widely available in my area and it's not overly priced making it a good choice to have if the fridge in case your Miller buddies stop over. If you're one of the 'Big Three' drinkers, do us all a favor. Instead of spending your cash on piss water which only funds commercials that jam up the air waves, buy a case of Grolsch. Trust me, you'll never have a windmill advertisement interrupt your favorite TV show.

3.6/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

There was a guy at his little sample booth hand out six packs of Grolsch like it was the cool new beer. I haven't had a bottle of this beer in quite awhile but I found myself at the till with a six pack in my hand. You know this is still one of the better mass produced euro lagers that can be found anywhere. Grassy, fresh and well finished I will try not to make it another five years before I try this again.

3.73/5  rDev +20.3%

I likes me a nice, crisp lager from time to time and Grolsch fills that role well. A lot of people say this smells skunky (and the name of the beer certainly doesn't roll off of the tongue) but I never found the smell to be unpleasant.
Crisp, clean, a touch on the bitter side; I tend to drink this straight out of the bottle but the pours I remember have had a decent head, the beer itself being yellow gold, or a golden yellow.
I'm pleased to see that this is becoming more available. Perhaps one day some fortunate soul will mistake a bottle of this for a bottle of Heineken and become a convert.

2.5/5  rDev -19.4%

Smells of grass or fresh cut hayfield and a bit of a skunky smell. The taste is more or the same. Earthy and grassy with a skunk taste. I dont really like this beer. It pours a pale brown with nice bubbles and carbonation. The only thing interesting about the beer is the bottle itself. The grolsch bottle is different and very interesting.

2.68/5  rDev -13.5%

Presentation: 500ml can.

Appearance: Dark golden color (very classic) with very good head, but no retention.

Smell: AWFUL. It stinks like piss. Sorry, but there's no better way to say it.

Taste: Bitter. Hops Very clean finish / almost no aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation and fun to drink.

Drinkability: Average, but I have to say this beer got its own personnality and it seems to be exceptionnal for an euro pale lager. (pale?)

3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a slightly hazy pale yellow. Great head retention! Has a good amount of carbonation to it.

Smells like soft grains, with some faint hop aroma.

Very clean taste. Has some grassy grains and some faint sweet malts. Hops are some what faint, but are present.

Medium/light body and has a clean dry finish.

This beer is pretty much a decent Euro pale lager. Nothing overwhelming, just a good beer to drink with a hearty meal.

3.35/5  rDev +8.1%

The little POS tag in the 4 pack caught my eye just the one word, SCHTOP! So I grabbed some swing tops from the back of the cooler (away from the light, damn green bottles) praying that they would be ok.

Apperance: OK, I admit it, I like the bottles. Back in my college days my roomate and I bought a case of these so that he could bottle his homebrew in them. The beer in the bottle is light golden, clear. A big foamy head after pouring faded to just a ring around the glass as I let it sit.

Smell: Grassy, a little hoppy. I'm just happy this one is not skunked.

Taste: A little malty sweetness, followed by a hop finish, Both flavors are a little week, but the beer is well balanced.

Mouthfeel: Thinner in body than I remember, crisp, lightly carbonated.

Drinkability: This is one of those beers that when its good and fresh its very good and drinkable. However due to the green bottles (lightstruck beer) and what I think is an occasional bad seal on the swing top this is one of those beers that gets bad in a hurry. Purchase at you own risk, unless you buy from a reputable store that you know the stock is good. I've seen the regular crown caps, but have never purchased these before. I guess I just like the swingtop too much, to me its unique.

1.73/5  rDev -44.2%

Man skunk city ive had beers that were questionable about skunk but now i know what it is. Poured out straw colored,with a 2 finger head.Pale grainy taste with slight hop ending with metallic aftertaste.Not a very appealing beer,but a cool reusable bottle.

2.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Poured with a frothy bubbly head.

Golden straw colored - decent light and zippy (I've never used the word zippy before until now... shutup). Smell of spicy hops, probably saaz.

I was expecting nasty skunk given the green bottle, but I was actually surprised. It was light and even though I could taste a little wet carboard - it was actually a pleasant brew. Went well with the hot dogs and burgers from our porch grill.

I'm a bit biased since I'm a homebrewer and these bottles are highly sought out... but I judged this one purely on taste.

Ok stuff.

2.93/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours a clear gold...polished brass?...little head, minimal carbonation.

Smells like a skunky Heineken. Then corn?

Taste starts clean, corn lagerish, as it should I guess. Then has a pleasing bitter finish. But the finish isn't long enough or intense enough to sustain interest.

Mouthfeel wasn't too bad for a beer with little carbonation. Not too thin, but certainly not full.

Nothing special, but certain drinkable. I'm guessing this would provide for wicked gas and headaches after three or four. The weak hop character would ultimately taint the palate driving you to consume Doritos (Cool Ranch) or Little Debbie Fudge Cakes in order to mask the unwelcome flavor.

This is good for one or two when nothing better is available.

Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.