Grolsch Premium Lager - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Premium LagerGrolsch Premium Lager

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Premium Lager Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1376-1400 | 1401-1425 | 1426-1450  | next › last »
4.6/5  rDev +48.4%

Sampled in a single-blind format with bottles of Aass, St. Pauli Girl, Heineken, Bitburger and Warsteiner.
I formerly had given this beer a 4.3 overall, but in a tasting with its peers, it became obvious how exceptional it really is. Before the identity of this beer was revealed I guessed it to be Aass.
Fine intermittent bubbles lead to a good blanket of foam on top. Roasty, malty nose with some fresh, sticky hop aromatics (the only beer in this lineup that featured fresh hop aromatics, by the way. Something I consider essential to the style.) The attack is round and dry and suggests toasted starch. Nutty. Driving, nutshell flavors carries through to the finish, fueled by good hop extraction. Seamless development of flavors with toasty caramel and ripe grain notes throughout. This beer had the longest finish of the set at more than 10 seconds!
I am told that this beer is unpasteurized, unlike Heineken. Also, the 12oz. format has always tasted fresher than the 17oz. swing-tops I've sampled

putnam, Sep 29, 2002
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

I give this beer big appearance points mostly for the bottle, gotta love the flip-top bottle, even if it is green. The smell was hopped up with very little malt, like most other pilsners, and the taste was more of the same, with a higher malt content than the smell (not by much). Average mouthfeel, but I think it is a very drinkable beer, if you can find it fresh.

ryanocerus, Sep 07, 2002
1.35/5  rDev -56.5%

I am not in the business of bashing any frosty adult beverage, but this beer was awful! It had a funky smell, almost a skunky smell, but I pushed on. The colour isn't bad but when you taste it, man, thats BAD BEER. It has a copper almost bloody taste and actually made me snort and shake my head when I drank it.
I don't just dislike this beer, I AM AFRAID OF IT!

powoo19, Sep 02, 2002
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Straw colored, thin white head. Slightly sour, off smell, what I expected actually. Taste was typical European lager, some sweet malty taste, no real noticable hop note. Finish was a bit sour, and lingering. A bit thin and bubbly, not much to note. I think it's better than a heineken and others. They seem to be making a big push in Florida recently, showing up in every grocery store on sale, and new handles in the bars.

StevieW, Aug 19, 2002
3.83/5  rDev +23.5%

Golden, slightly tawny, ultra-translucent, bubbly white head, smallish, disappears into pocked-lace. Wraithlike skunkiness, herbal, slightly musty, hint of sweetish-malt (that I am not found of) all assemble a average-potency nose. Slightly clean palate, some tanginess; the hoppiness is solid, good malt foundation. The dryness was refreshing… light-medium body, easy to drink, refreshing. Freshness is critical, green bottles are evil. Grolsch is a pretty good beer, I’d drink it again, so go ahead and “fall for the gimmick top” and give this brew a try. I rather liked it…

Re-reviewed on January 22, 2003.

bditty187, Jul 23, 2002
3.48/5  rDev +12.3%

Grolsch Premium Lager in the green 16oz swing top bottle pours a light yellow amber and a nice white head that stayed just for a short time. Nose has some not unpleasant yeasty sulfur. The palate has a well bittered bight with no sweet notes.

All in all, I found Grolsch Premium Lager to be one of the better “green bottle” beers that will put the days tension behind you, if you drink just a few bottles.

BeerBob, Jul 11, 2002
3.68/5  rDev +18.7%

light smooth and great for a hot day under the sun. i've had both the 12 0z bottle and the 16 oz flip top, and numbered review goes along with the flip top. it is a huge difference. the flip top is one of my personal favorites, where the 12 oz is lacking in flavor and smoothness. it is just not the same. seriously don't even bother with the small bottles and go straight for the delicious flip tops because they are phenomenal

ElGuapo, Jul 10, 2002
2.8/5  rDev -9.7%

Straw color with a decent white head and some lace. Funky smell. Fairly smooth, somewhat crisp, grassy, herbal, slighty bitter taste. Light hoppy finish. Save the bottle for homebrewing with the locking swing cap.

ThreePistols, Jun 17, 2002
3.3/5  rDev +6.5%

I hadn't tried Grolsch in years, and recalled not being very impressed. When I saw a single pint bottle with the swing-top in the store, I thought I'd give it another try. Pours with a dense white head and a burnt golden color. Has a spicy smell, but seemed to be on the borderline of being skunked. Somewhat astringent mouthfeel. Displays shades of sweetness with a crisp hop finish. After the first sips, I really wasn't enjoying the beer. However, its qualities sort of grow on you, and by the end of the bottle I admit that it was better than I expected.

Suds, Jun 16, 2002
3.53/5  rDev +13.9%

This was one of my step-stone beers, that would eventually lead me down a more adventurous path.

Light bodied, mildly herbal, slightly spicey hop character. A summer-time favorite.

Jordan, Jun 05, 2002
2.78/5  rDev -10.3%

okay, like most people, the neat bottle is appealing. Had a decent color to it. The flavor was alright, but I have had better. It's probably worth a try, but there are better ones of this style out there.

Wildman, May 31, 2002
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Pretty much what I expected. A respectable lager. Seemed overly carbonated, didn't hold a head. Slightly drier than I expected but good. Oddly reminded me of hay while I was ~drinking~ it.

packetknife, May 31, 2002
3.28/5  rDev +5.8%

I sampled this in the nifty little flip top bottles. (The make good containes for your favorite salad dressing when emptied of beer). Crisp tasting and definately made from quality ingredients. Slightly more malty than hoppy, though dry in character. Goes down fairly easily.

psugrad98, May 27, 2002
3.6/5  rDev +16.1%

Grolsch: I had it in the 12 ounce, not the half-liter flip top. Slight skunk aroma, typical to Euro lagers. Golden yellow, with thin white head. Nice balance of sweet malt, and hops in the follow through/aftertaste. Heads and heels above Henie.

jackndan, May 25, 2002
3.25/5  rDev +4.8%

Nice golden color...an OK, but big-bubbled head. Smells very much like fresh cut hay, masking a slight skunkiness. Hop taste dominates, crisp but pretty unidimensional. The smell enhances the flavor somewhat. A little over-carbed to me. Drinkable mid-pack brew and the "swing tops" are great for homebrewers...

ADR, May 24, 2002
3.38/5  rDev +9%

Yep it stinks! but I drink it for the taste, and it's not as bad as it smells. There's just something about beer in a green bottle I like to TASTE.

fuzzbalz, Apr 19, 2002
2.6/5  rDev -16.1%

Better than heineken, but still quite skunky, and a bitn thin, pretty standard and boring beer in the end though.

rastaman, Apr 05, 2002
3.23/5  rDev +4.2%

Presentation: 12 oz green bottle, “Ingredients: water, malted barley and hops” stated on the back label. No freshness date.

Appearance: Weathered straw colour has a great clarity, fluffy white head settles down to a bubbly stick blanket of lace.

Smell: Husky grain with a mild skunky imported lager aroma. Hops range from a ghost like skunk to herbal in the aroma.

Taste: Smooth, almost buttery, mouth feel that brandishes a half hearted crispness that is a bit astringent. Moderate body. Grassy, grainy and a tad veggie / herbal. Grassy and grainy from the malted barley, taste of fresh cut hay and crackers. Veggie and herbal from the hops, tingling bitterness balances the brew and the flavour gives flavours of fresh herbs and leafy undertones. Light sprig of alcohol in the mouth, not too dry and not expressively sweet but a little bit of both in the after taste.

Notes: Not as coarse as other lagers from Holland that come to the US. All of the herbal and grainy flavours still make it somewhat of a chore to drink. Pair it with some grilled turkey sausage and kraut.

Jason, Apr 01, 2002
3.58/5  rDev +15.5%

clear golden color that poured a thin wispy head. aroma of sweet malted barley and soft euro hops. just a kiss of the skunkiness but that's ok since the hops are supposed to add that aroma. taste is sweet and flavorful with an actual soft hop bitterness that i found agreeable. a bite of alcohol and dry in the finish with a hop aftertaste lingering on the tongue. yummy dutch euro lager!

budgood1, Mar 28, 2002
3.75/5  rDev +21%

Straw colored with a good white head & also gives off a nice sheet of lace. The aroma is the only draw back for Grolsch, nothing really great.It has this sort of easiness to it, and a zesty / spiciness to it, which I enjoyed. I had this at Bennigan's tonight. Overall I thought that it was a above average lager. I believe this brew makes for a excellent session brew & also goes pretty well w/ steak.

WilliamPhilaPa, Mar 06, 2002
3.33/5  rDev +7.4%

If you are fortunate enough to get a bottle which is not light-stuck and skunky, this is a smooth, drinkable lager. Fairly sweet up front, without any adjunct notes. Mellows at the end with a clean, lightly hoppy finish.

(I know the swing-top stopper is a marketing gimmick, but at least you don't have to look for your bottle opener.)

Brent, Jan 14, 2002
3.8/5  rDev +22.6%

Having not had one for quite some time, I had one the other day. It was better than I had remembered. Golden color, nice tast, easy to sit and drink. I am glad I went back.

AaronRed, Sep 10, 2001
« first ‹ prev | 1376-1400 | 1401-1425 | 1426-1450  | next › last »
Grolsch Premium Lager from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.