Amsterdam Maximator - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Amsterdam MaximatorAmsterdam Maximator

awful

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website

Doppelbock |  11.60% ABV

(Beer added by: Boto on 05-23-2004)
View: Beers (23) |  Events

06-01-2014 20:34:46 | More by endless1408
BlackHaddock

United Kingdom (England)

2.05/5  rDev +9%

Another can brought back from the South of France in Sep 13: this 500ml monster was cracked open on 2 Dec 13, well before it's expiry date.

Poured (twice) into a La Chouffe tulip at home.

Bright, light golden/amber with a deep head on each pour, the heads tried to hang around for a while too.

A hangover in a single can: smells grainy, tinny and alcoholic, tastes grainy, tinny and alcoholic, palate wise I thought it, grainy, tinny and alcoholic, overall it was grainy, tinny and alcoholic.

It actually got a little better as it warmed and my second glass was almost pleasant,well almost.

12-04-2013 11:06:31 | More by BlackHaddock
Jeffo

1.4/5  rDev -25.5%

Got this one in Normandy at a grocery store. This one is Max Intense! Described as a "beer rich in ingredients" with a "long brewing process."

From a 50cl can into a pint glass

APPEARANCE: Pours a three finger, loose looking, white head with decent retention. Really loose and chunky looking. Perfectly clear amber orange with medium carbonation. Force carbonated. Fades to a chunky wisp and leaves foamy, chunky wisp on the sides of the glass. Splotchy wisp leaves some foamy lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Bread and grainy malts, corn, and some alcohol.

TASTE: Rough going. Boozy and sweet grain up front, with sweet bread and corn into the finish. A bolder finish is boozy with alcohol, corn and sweet grainy malts. Not pleasant in the least. Harsh.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. A little light, goes down airy and bubbly with a harsh burn at swallow and finishes slightly sweet on palate. Some alcohol lingers.

OVERALL: Not a doppelbock at all. This is simply a strong Euro pale lager, and a really strong one at that. I guess it's better than malt liquor, but the only reason one would even consider drinking this would be to get mashed on the cheap. I can't believe a brewer would taste this and go, "yes, this is exactly what I wanted..."

09-16-2013 18:19:07 | More by Jeffo
Tebuken

Argentina

2.31/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

A crystal pale beer with a white foam that rapidly disappear,no lace at all.
Aroma is somehow fruity,boozy and a bit yeasty.Its taste resembles dry fruits, alcohol and subtle malt hints are present.Bitterness is balanced and carbonation could be a little less prominent.Medium bodied

08-10-2013 13:29:46 | More by Tebuken
Jovean_McNasty

1.11/5  rDev -41%

Originally bought a can of this in Singapore at a convenience kiosk. I bought it because it was cheap, strong, and I like to try new beers. It is the best prank beer I have ever had... By this i mean that every time I went out in town with a different one of my shipmates, I told them about this "heavenly" beer that they must try because it is without a doubt the best drinking experience they will ever have. I was of course lying to them, which brings me to my review:

Pour: Left it in the can for fear of Singapore's strict environmental laws.

Aroma: Alcohol and sawdust.

Taste: Alcohol, fermented sugar, corn-nuts, and a hint of earwax in the finish.

Mouth/face: Twisted in disgust (This reaction is what kept me exposing poor individuals to this particular brew, and I would often take pictures of my victims during this phase of tasting).

Overall: Good for pulling a fast one on one of your buddies, even if it means you have to suck it up and down one with them (My version of keeping it fair). Consume only for getting drunk or preparing your taste buds for eating handfuls of Thai chilies.

06-02-2013 19:07:41 | More by Jovean_McNasty

1.5/5  rDev -20.2%

08-03-2012 17:54:37 | More by ant1
TheBrewo

1.88/5  rDev 0%

We pour a clean, goldenrod colored brew. It holds a one finger head of tan bubbles, but this disappears on the quicker side, leaving a thick sheet of patterned lacing. Carbonation is active, and there is a mild haze throughout. The aroma is bold, with wheaty and pale malts. There is a stark tropical fruit quality, with passion fruit and pineapple right up front, with some strawberries to boot. This adds a unique sweetness. There is a menthol, minty quality, with surprisingly raw, piney hops. The alcohol is ever present, especially with warmth. As we sip, holy crap. It is like drinking a fruity nail polish remover. The front is dominated by insane metallics, mixing with lightly buttered toast, and those interesting fruity notes from the nose. There is distinct pineapple here, with an added dipped-in-sugar sweetness. The middle moves forward with offensive fusel alcohols, fermented apples, and bittering metallic malts. The finish shows more vodka alcohols and copper, tinny metallics. There is honey sweetness, and more of those strawberries. The aftertaste is burning with booze, fresh cherries, more bitters, and surprisingly pale malts. The body is medium, and the carbonation is medium. The mouth is left dry, but with an initial metallic film. There is okay cream and froth, but little slurp or pop with each sip. Due to the high alcohol presence it is very puckering. The abv is huge, and the beer drinks very slowly.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this beer was the nose. It had great fruity inclusions that were not expected, making for a sweet and inviting aroma. When we sipped, however, we were horribly disappointed. Each sip was like taking a shot of cheap, Canadian beer-flavored vodka. It was extraordinarily hard to drink. The feel was decent, but otherwise, this was a miss for us, with little appeal other than the nose.

03-31-2012 02:02:35 | More by TheBrewo

rekel

11-28-2011 23:36:23 | More by rekel
rvdoorn

1.93/5  rDev +2.7%

Look: Pours an golden-yellow colour with a large head, leaving a nice lacing.
Smell: Sweet malts,grain, corn and alcohol
Taste: Alcohol, sugar, malts, sweet grains, corn. This is really bad.
Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, watery body
Overall: Don’t drink this

07-07-2011 23:17:07 | More by rvdoorn
eduardolinhalis

Switzerland

1.83/5  rDev -2.7%

500ml bottle poured in a chalice.

After the Explorator(D+) and the Navigator(D+) drinking this one is, at least, a big mistake.

A: Clean pale yellow with a big bubbled head which dissipates quickly leaving some lacings
S: Malts and alcohol. Ok it's a Doppelbock, ok it's strong but this smell does not justify. Sweet
T: Bad surprise. Tastes like liquor. Very sweet upfront. A bit fruity. Reasonable bitterness (the ONLY good point of this beer)
M: Heavy and molasses body. Reasonable carbonation to such strong beer
D: Really bad...

10-06-2010 18:56:42 | More by eduardolinhalis
AmberMan22

1.4/5  rDev -25.5%

Gotta say this is quite possibly the worst beer I've ever had, and I've had some pretty bad ones as of late.
Had this in Paris, got it as a joke, didn't end up finishing it. Managed to trick one of my friends into taking a sip though -- that was good for a laugh.

A: Doesn't look much worse than other Strong Euro Lagers, dark yellowish color...not too appealing.

S: Smell is repulsive. Honestly the homeless people I've seen drinking this crap could've pissed back into the can and barely told a difference.

T: Taste is miserable at best, downright offensive at worst. It has nothing going for it in terms of an actual beer...tastes more like a cough syrup.

M: This has a very thick, syrupy texture to it. Not a heavy mouthfeel, but a labored mouthfeel, like sludge.

D: Great for novelty or a gag, but your sink will likely drink most of this one...poor sink.

03-05-2010 20:36:44 | More by AmberMan22
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

1.78/5  rDev -5.3%

I bought this in Holland on a recent trip. It pours a golden light orange with a nice looking head that lingers beautifully. The aroma isn't offensive, some sweet graininess, maybe some cooked corn. The flavor isn't bad at first, upfront it tastes like a flavorful macro lager. The flavor quickly gives way to sharp, boozy alcohol, sweet and syrupy, and not smooth at all. This one is hard to put down, and I can't find much redeeming value.

11-05-2009 02:02:51 | More by ericj551
BoitSansSoif

1.2/5  rDev -36.2%

A-C'mon, it might be horrible, but it looks as good as most other beers. Pours a light golden color w/decent head and retention, bits of lacing.

S-Smell actually doesn't reveal all the problems while it's still cold, which mine is. Grainy husk, alcohol, slightly sweet malt, bits of corn, some skunkiness.

T-This stuff tastes like my mouth after I used to wake up from college benders when I forgot to brush my teeth. Alcohol, slightly sweet grainy flavor, cheap hooch, aftertaste of nail polish remover and a touch of hops.

M-My mouth feels really bad. I feel remorseful. Maybe recycling the can will make me feel better.

D-First beer I haven't finished in a long while. This stuff is repulsive. If you want to drink something this strong, just go for a bottle of wine. In France you can get a potable bottle for just double the price of this poison. Other strong Euro beers, and any American malt liquor I can imagine are far superior...that includes King Cobra, Camo, and Steel Reserve.

09-02-2009 20:34:22 | More by BoitSansSoif
KrisPaulk77

Mississippi

Desperation drove myself and a Danish electrician to try cans of this crap in a shipyard in Dubai. That and a dare. Oh good lord, is this stuff foul. I should have known better when we popped the tabs and took a whiff. We have paint thinner on our vessel that is more palatable. We looked at each other and knew it wasn't getting any better, so, with a toast to our comrades, away we went. One gulp into this unholy abomination was all it took. I'm not going to dignify this beer with talking about mouthfeel, or lacing, or hop profiles, or what have you. It was pure evil in a can. Like Satan's own urine... the taste was something akin to beer spilled into mop water, with a healthy dose of rubbing alcohol thrown in. I can't call it a drain pour, well, because I couldn't find a drain. I hate to admit it, but we gave our unfinished cans to a Nepalese cook that was with us... poor bastard. I'm sure karma will get us back one day for that one. Avoid this "beer" at all costs.

08-31-2009 13:47:11 | More by KrisPaulk77
TommyW

2.8/5  rDev +48.9%

A- Gold body with a 1/2 head that fades to a ring fast.

S- Had a very yeasty smell, kinda reminded me of a wheatbeer but more notes of alcohol.

T- Breadyness and alcohol.

M- Meduim body with decent carbonation. Nothing great.

D- Drank one and that was enough. Had no desire to drink another nor do I have any desire to buy another anytime soon.

01-02-2009 15:44:53 | More by TommyW
d07c0m

Germany

I'd heard about this beer long before I drank it. Found it in a corner store / kiosk / bodega in Geneva, Switzerland for about 3 Swiss Francs. Bought it along with several "normal" beers to sample. Started out pretty smooth because it was still cold but the further I got into it, the more pronounced was the taste of the alcohol. It was however, compared to it's weaker brother Amsterdam Navigator (8,4%) surprisingly smooth. A definite must if you're looking for a good bang/buck ratio.

07-09-2007 09:04:44 | More by d07c0m
chuckles307

Connecticut

I bought the beer in KL from a nice gentleman at a small Chinese shop. I could drink this all day, it really puts a smile on my face. Although, I must admit, the flavor is a little repulsive. It's got all the flavor of an Ol' English with more of the happiness.

07-06-2007 13:46:43 | More by chuckles307
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Amsterdam Maximator from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.