Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Grolsch Amber Ale - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Amber Ale
No picture.

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Amber Ale Alström Bros
1.74/5  rDev -46%

Oh boy am I sad that I chose the try this. At first it looked somewhat promising with a nice thck creamy head taht leaves a good amount of lacing and doesn't go away very fast. Had a bit more brown color than amber, but its an Altbeer on here and I thought it was an amber ale(silly me).

Smelled hoppy but watered down. Slight wheat comes through and trys to give it some resemblence to a beer.

Taste was too bitter and just very unpleasant. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle, but this stuff was just horrid. Mouth was rather smooth until you swallow and get an extremely astringent, mouth numbing, rotten grain feel. I had to pour this after about 1/3 of the bottle.

On the bright side, it wasn't skunked even with the clear bottle.

2.04/5  rDev -36.6%

Light amber color, medium white head. Aroma is grainy and malty and sweet. Lighter bodied altbier. Lightly hopped, medium malts, slightly sweet. Mild flavor. Finish is clean. Aftertaste is slightly hoppy, some malts, no bitterness. Kind of bland, but a least it dosn't have any objection flavors.

2.12/5  rDev -34.2%

Brownish in color, no bubbles, thick four finger head, dissipates fairly quickly but leaves a solid lace. Very bitter scent to it, not that good.

Ugh. Not much ale, more American Macro Lager. Kind of flat. While it is better than most Lager, when you're expecting an ale, this was disappointing.

2.26/5  rDev -29.8%

Picked up a bottle of this beer for the “Hell of It”, as I never cared much for Grolsch, but it has been almost 3 years since I had a sample, and it was only $.99 a bottle.

The beers color on the pour a burnished copper with a massive head that is frothy in texture and a light tan color as it evaporates the lace forms an adequate covering upon the glass. Nose is malt, clean and fresh, start is sweet, lots of malt, top cadaverous, finish is lightly acidic, lightly hopped, dry aftertaste, a “Benign” beer, and one that I suppose is suitable for a summer cookout, as it does “Wet Your Whistle”!

2.28/5  rDev -29.2%

A- Dark brown, amber color, little head and goes away quickly

s-horrible smell, from the Grolsche beers i have had, they all seem to stink, not as bad when it has been poured into a glass

t-not really a fan of amber ales, has some carmal, longer after taste, not much variety in the taste

m-not the smoothest beer, and seems to linger in the mouth unfortunally

d-this will be the last grolsche amber ale i will ever have, unless its the only beer on tap.

2.3/5  rDev -28.6%

Grolsch Amber is an extremely clear, quite sparkling amber ale. It looks about 12 SRM. The head is parchment colored, fluffy, has some oily bubbles, has great retention and lacing. There is an aroma of light grain, old feet... funky barnyard, band-aids. It has a light body and a papery, scratchy finish. The flavor is fruity and woody. It's a bit funky and not very bitter. The aftertaste is a little cave-like. There's no real sharpness present. Why is beer bottled in a clear glass? It's a bad idea.
(rated Feb 12, 2008)

2.37/5  rDev -26.4%

I found this in the beer fridge at my brother-in-law and sister-in-law's house. I figured I would pop the top and take some notes. It is an amber or light brown color. Little to no head to speak of. The nose is the "highlight" of this beer with some nutty malt tones. The attack is initially clean and then the flavor follows like a mouthful of straw. It instantly made me think of a beer I had some years ago before I started reviewing called Bitburger. Some people like it, but I remember it for how much I did not. Grolsch amber ale conjured memories of that long ago brew. The tones and flavors in this Grolsch amber are nutty and straw-like.

2.43/5  rDev -24.5%

12 ounce bottle purchased as part of a six pack that was on sale at Cooke's Market in El Segundo

Poured into a Firestone pint glass with a dark amber color, more brown than red, small 1/4 inch white head that mellowed very quickly, no retention or lacing

Smell was weak, the only thing I could really idenitfy was toasted malt and it needed to warm for about fifteen minutes before I could get any kind of aroma

Taste was also disappointing, hoppiness was overwhelming and took over any malt that was present, sometimes bread-like tastes that were chewy but not much, got a little sour towards the end when the beer had reached room temperature, this one really needs to be drank as cold as possible, definitely not a winter beer, but it could potentially be refreshing during the summer, overall very faint flavor qualities

Not a good mouthfeel, body was nothing and it was overly carbonated

This stuff is very light and has a low alcohol percentage, but the taste would get really old after a while, not filling but could become too much due to its one dimensional flavor

Did not expect much from this to begin with, but it was even worse than I thought it would be, I would not drink this again or recommend it to anybody either

2.47/5  rDev -23.3%

Bottle: Poured an amber color ale with a huge off-white bubbly head with good retention (even leaves mark after each sip on my glass which is quite good for macro-type beer. Aroma is only about malt, but it’s so weak that I would qualify this as neutral aroma. Taste is mildly refreshing with again malt being the only thing really noticeable. Overall lack of character does not make this beer very interesting.

2.5/5  rDev -22.4%

Poured a surprisingly large, 4-finger head. Deep, amber color was impressive.

(insert sound of screeching tires...) Smell was typical Grolsch Euro Trash - sour, without anything balancing. Please don't smell this beer if you have one.

Taste had some light caramel, little bitterness and pine-nuttiness. I'm rating slightly below avg for this style.

Mouthfeel was ok, relatively smooth, and good carbonation throughout.

Actually drinkable, if you plug your nose and don't expect anything spectacular. One of the "better" offerings from Gross, um, I mean Grolsch.

2.56/5  rDev -20.5%

Appearance: Bottled in clear glass, this beer poured a reddish brown colour with a typical euro pale lager white foamy head.

Smell: Skunky with some hidden malt and hops aromas.

Taste: It tastes like what it seems to be: a darker euro pale lager. The flavour is more malty rather than its regular sister, but it is quite far from being called a real amber ale. An altbier? I don't know that type very much, but I am not sure neither.

Mouthfeel: It is honest for that type of beer.

Drinkability: I am not impressed with this one. Yes, it is drinkable, but I would rather choose something else before drinking it. On another hand, it is easy to get something worst than this beer.

2.67/5  rDev -17.1%

Groslch Amber Ale is another imported Dutch beer that has suffered due to the brewer's insistence on using non-brown bottles for their products (clear bottles for this particular brew). I'm used to imported Euro-lagers being skunky, but not a pale-ale type of brew. Anyways, I've found this to be a relatively unexciting beer once you get past the aroma.

Grolsch Amber pours a nice reddish brown/amber color with a nice off-white foamy head that lasts awhile. There was actually some foam left over when I finished the glass. I've already went over the skunky aroma, which has some light malt that is barely detectable underneath that. The mouthfeel was fizzy and watery but a little more smooth than regular Grolsch. There is some sweet malt flavor and some pale-ale like fruitiness (it did indeed remind me somewhat of Bass). Very light dark malt flavors are barely detectable. Not a very complex brew. There is some definite bitterness here and it verges on the astringency borderline. The aftertaste is just some dry continuing bitterness and this beer finishes with a little alcoholic warmth.

This was kind of boring for a darker beer. A very average brew. I wouldn't turn one of these down, but there is nothing here that would make me keep on buying this.

2.68/5  rDev -16.8%

This beer pours a perfectly clear light amber color with a surprisingly thick, but brief head of pure white.

The nose is subtle, with grainy malt, mild grassy hops, and an overall bready, pilsneresque profile.

Taste is about the same, rather balanced, but certainly a tame example of the style. Eager carbonation and a med/light body. Easily forgettable.

2.7/5  rDev -16.1%

Pours a dark amber, with burnt bread crust edges and no head to speak of. The nose is very slight -- just hints of bready grains and some earthy, clay-like hops. On the palate, only slight bitterness that's identifiable as hops -- instead there's a medicinal quality to it, like it's chemically derived. Too sweet at the mid-palate and the finish. Mouthfeel is a bit heavy and slightly metallic. Overall, there's nothing to recommend this beer, but it's not terrible.

2.76/5  rDev -14.3%

Drinking this beer was a very unique experience. I looked at the bottle and was very pleased with the appearance. When I took my first sip, however, I was rather suprised to find that I was drinking nothing but water. This beer had minimun tast at best. What was worse was that I couldn't feel the beer in my mouth at all. This critique might just be me, but I felt that I should have experienced a taste and experienced some sort of feel in my mouth, but none was givento me. This is why I wouldn't recommend this beer. Again, I am still looking for someone to shoot me in the direction of a book or place that can teach me more about the ways of beer.

2.78/5  rDev -13.7%

Pours out like dark ice tea with lots of off white suds.
Smell is just like any other macro, yeast and malt and not much else.
Taste is a little more yeasty and alcoholy than the Blonde. Mabey just a little more sugary malts that hide the caramel.
Mouthfeel is clean but leaving you wanting something just a bit more.
Drinkability is OK but there are so many more macros that are better than this.( I suppose that is not a good thing to say).

2.79/5  rDev -13.4%

12 oz. bottle- color of clear dark amber , with a frothy egg shell colored head - nose of sweet malt , and slight hoppieness – taste of sweet maltyness , white corn , caramel , slight bitterness , and semi floral - body is medium , dry , and with medium carbonation – aftertaste of metallic , malty , and hint of sourness

2.81/5  rDev -12.7%

Foam city on amber and then some pleasant malt followed by metallic dry sweet astringant bitter aftertaste. Grassy thin/medium mouthfeel and lively carbonation. Canadians seem to like this, outside of Quebec. The type you drink cold on a hot summer day. Could do worse, signature grolsch definition.

2.82/5  rDev -12.4%

Looks great with good head retention and lace. Smell is weak but all-malt. Flavor is very weak malt and a slight sharpness contributed by the wheat malt and hops. Mouthfeel is smooth but a bit watery at times. Finishes clean and refreshing. Not offensive in the least.... but BORING.

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured an orangish red with a 2 finger white head. Looks sort of like an Irish red ale.

Smells a little dank, and leafy. Not really appealing to me. I hope this isn't a bad omen for the whole beer.

Taste is really lacking. I can't really put my finger on what it exactly tastes like, but it is definatly not strong. Also, I detect a metalic tinge.

Mouthfeel was probably the best thing about the beer. Very smooth, with little carboation.

Overall drinkabilty isn't that good. After the appearance, it went downhill. I still prefer this over Grolsch Premium Lager though.

2.84/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer is copper colored with a creamy white head. It has a malty bouquet with a slight DMS (dimethyl sulfide - corn) aroma. It has a nice, medium-bodied malty flavor with a light, clean, dry, bitter finish. Not as clean and smooth as Schmaltz's Alt, which I think is a better example of the Altbier style.

2.86/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

One of the lightest looking amber ales I've seen. Very light amber. Tan head though? Funky old aroma. Like a barn.

Taste, a little better, heavier than appearance would lead you to believe. Very smooth, lacking bitterness or hop character. Nutty. Is this an amber, alt or brown ale? Can't tell by drinking.

Overall, not my style, just tasted unadventurous, a solid malt beer for people who don't like hops or bitterness. Too pricey for me to drink when I'm not all that high on it to begin with.

2.88/5  rDev -10.6%

Pours a rather clear lemonade with a low amount of any reddish hues.

Light grainy pilsner-esque scents

Faint flavors of an English style ESB above all else. Not off putting but just rather bland.

Thin mouthfeel. Crisp carbonation.

Forgettable but not regretable. I've spent $3.00 on worse.

2.9/5  rDev -9.9%

This was a new one for me. Picked up a few six packs on the Colombian Duty-free island of San Andres, for drinking on the beach. It was the only non- macro lager we could find !
Looks like the label says a rich amber colour in a clear glass bottle.
The smell andflavour was really lacking (could have been because it was iced down)- but did have a few subtle notes that reminded me of Newcastle Brown Ale: caramel.
A decent if boring lawnmower beer.

2.91/5  rDev -9.6%

I prefer this over original Grolsch. Poured out to an Amber color, decent white foamy head that was quite dense when poured quickly. Aromas of hops with a touch of floral odors. Flavors of roasted hops and malt. Slightly crisp, but had a aftertaste of wheat in the finish. Not bad, but nothing special overall. Worth a try.

Grolsch Amber Ale from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.