Grolsch Amber Ale - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch Amber Ale
No picture uploaded.

good

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

Altbier |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-06-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Grolsch Amber Ale Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
3.35/5  rDev +4.4%

Came with a grolsch "Bremasters Selection" 12pk. 2 different beers...what variety!!! Enough with the sarcasm. I paid $8 for this 12 pack and at that price it was a steal. A clear brown beer with nice bubbly white head. Smell is slightly skunky and somewhat flowery. Taste is crisp & mellow with a slight maltiness. Very easy to drink and a good easy on the wallet session brew. There's really not much bad to say about this beer, yet nothing stands out either besides the trademark holland skunk factor. A decent beer,and for the price it's hard to beat.

3.23/5  rDev +0.6%

I bought myself a Grolsch sampler pack and encountered this beer for the first time. Overall, this seems much more like Bass than regular Grolsch. This beer isn't quite as good as Bass, but its still pretty good. The taste is a little thin, with the alcohol taste quite noticable for an import. As I said, I bought this beer in a sampler pack. Its not very common, and not really worth going out of your way to find. Bass is better. However, Grolsch Amber Ale is pretty good. Drink it if you have it.

3.05/5  rDev -5%

I know I've had better samples of this beer in the past, but if they insist on selling it in clear bottles then they will have to live with the consequences. I'll give this beer high credits for a very attractive beer. Nice frothy head with great stamina, attractive amber colors with hues of brown, and light red. Clear. But because I think my bottle was old both the aroma and flavor were flat and dead. Each had a malty quality that wasn't necessarily unpleasant, just dead. The other area for credit was the very soft mouthfeel. In fact that is what made the bottle worth finishing. Maybe if I have a fresher bottle sometime I'll update this and give it the credit it may deserve.

4.25/5  rDev +32.4%

Deep and clear dark amber color with a large cream-colored head that retains quite well. Carbonation is moderate; the excellent lace leaves prominent rings in the glass. Aroma consists of dark and bready malt with hints of brown sugar, quite pleasing. Taste begins with solid bready malt notes, reminiscent of home-baked dark bread. Finishes dry with substantial mild hops and dark fruit notes. The mouth feel is creamy and smooth. This is an unflaggingly excellent beer that I will assuredly buy again.

4.3/5  rDev +34%

There I was in Trader Joes tonight, scouring the ‘singles’ section (the beer that is; I have lobbied the Manager for a “single women Aisle” but sadly to no avail) and I spied a lonely bottle of “Imported” Grolsch Amber Ale. Never seen this before “I thinks”, so what the heck, and it’s only a single and at least worth a Review “me thinks”.

Comes in a 12 fl.oz (355ml) clear glass embossed bottle with a distinctive shape, all sealed with a crown cap. Once removed, it poured with a *massive* head that was ever so slightly off-white, and rocky, it appeared to collapse at the edges and not in the middle leaving a huge rocky crusty uneven head in the middle and a smooth 1” head at the glass edges. It looked very “Germanic” at times.

The color reminded me of a light Newcastle Brown; in fact, I almost mistook the Bottle for this homely offering at first glance. It is Amber color mixed with a reddy-brown hue, a very appealing color in the clear glass bottle I have to say. Carbonation is average, retained and released when swirled.

Nose is pungent and quite noticeable from a distance, this really surprised me. Sweet smelling malt, grains and some fresh wholemeal bread smells. No clinging odors – just a very clean precise overall smell. Nicely done.

Initial tastes are sweet, with some malt in front of the mouth; middle is wholesome, strong flavors of sweetish malt, digestive biscuits and fresh baked bread. Mouthfeel is serious as well. The bitter end has a lovely fruity twist, hard to explain, reminded me of soft old pears that I would pinch from a nearby Orchard when I was a child in England. Superb!

I expected a lightweight beer I will be honest – but Bloody Hell, I have been Broad-Sided big style. I’m totally flummoxed.
“Well I will go the foot of our Stairs”, as my Grandma used to say.

A very nice surprise, I am quietly highly impressed by this very drinkable beer. And all for just 80 cents. Not bad. I would buy this again for sure; well as soon as they start to sell it in the new "Single Women Aisle" anyways – LOL.

3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

Darkish reddish-brown (amber), off-white head, no real depth or staying power but it did produce waves of lace. Clean nose, hints of malt and grain. A solid dollop of malt hits your tastebuds, a faint hint of roastedness. Medium body, good consistency. Not complex yet very enjoyable… pleasing. Clear bottles scare me but I reckon this would make a very good session beer. Try it, recommended.

4.18/5  rDev +30.2%

Pours with a "thick" sound as the dense, creamy, off-white head develops. The head lasts a good while, leaving a coating of heavy lace on the glass. The beer is more of a dark amber/mahogany. The aroma is sweet and very malty, yet clean. There is a component that is very inviting, yet I can't quite place it. The flavors are many, including roasted malt, chocolate, and a hint of fruit (I want ot say pears, but that just seems weird). The alcohol is apparent in the taste, but in a good way. It has a rather creamy mouthfeel that really caught me off guard. The hops are barely evident, but are present in the finish (and perhaps are the source of the inviting aroma). Perhaps one of the more flavorful ales I've tried, and an excellent beer that I will definitely purchase again. Much better than the lager, which is a good beer.

3.63/5  rDev +13.1%

For some reason, whenever I buy this beer there is ALWAYS gunk under the lip of the bottle and dried beer on the top of the cap. I guess they have a messy bottling plant.

Rich copper to brown in color, nice fluffy head that hangs in there for a while. Coarse lace down the side of the glass. The nose was of malt, caramel, and noble hops. The malt was the only one that realy stood out, though. Roasted grains really came through in the flavor, along with a tiny bit of bittering hops. Also, there was a dose of nice, mouth warming alcohol, though the abv is most likely normal. THere may have been a little metallic taste as well. THere was nothing special about the mouthfeel, very average in every regard. Grolsch Lager is one of my favorite beers, mostly for sentimental reasons, and this Amber Ale carries the name well. Much better then that god aweful Blonde crap (that had the same dirty cap problem).

3.63/5  rDev +13.1%

Amber brown color. Foamy head. Floral caramel hoppy nose. Toasted caramel malt, spicy hops taste. Well balanced. Slightly bitter and enjoyable. Light bodied. This beer went very well with my roasted turkey sandwich on fresh white bread with mayo and Tuong Ot Toi Viet-Nam Chili garlic sauce and so did the second one. Very smooth, very drinkable, well rounded beer.

4.1/5  rDev +27.7%

Pours into the glass with a nice long lasting rocky white head. Great tea-colored liquid, smells a bit of new mown hay with a light malt aroma. Mouthfeel is light-bodied, due to the addition of wheat malt, with some sweet malt flavors creeping in. Finishes sweet too, with just a hint of hop bitterness. Overall smooth and very drinkable...love the clear bottle/cool label presentation too.

3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

Presentation: 12 oz clear bottle, “Ingredients: water, malted barley, malted wheat and hops” stated on the back label along with a freshness date.

Appearance: Deep garnet colour with a thick unwavering lace that leaves a few rings of lace on the glass.

Smell: Mixed twang of fermented wheat and hops, some sweetness and some graininess with a vague toasted aroma. Do I decent a by-product that smells like mustard seed?

Taste: Thick medium body with a smooth crispness from a mild carbonation. Maltiness has potential and seems to flow very well with sweet grain and toasted flavours. Hops are a touch weathered but provide ample bitterness, malt flavours and hop as well seem to pull back towards the end in more of a filtered fashion leaving a trace graininess and ghost like hop in the finish.

Notes: We can all assume this is an Altbier or something close to it, I dare not say “German” or I might offend. It’s much further away from American or English styles so that is what they must have been going for. Who really cares right? This is a decent amber ale and goes down just as good as their lager.

3.5/5  rDev +9%

Light amber color w/ a decent head. Clear w/ no chill haze. Slight toasty munich and caramel malt dominate the aroma. Subdued floral hop nose. The aroma is all around clean and unassertive. Light body, with a smooth and agreeable mouthfeel. Hop bitterness is fairly low and leaves the beer w/ a slight residual sweetness that isn't overbearing. No surprises in flavor in this brew. Innocuous, quaffable and MUCH better than Grolsch in the green bottle. A pleasant surprise.

this beer didn't impress me whatsoever, infact it tasing like crap, thin murky brown liquid witha sweaty taste, yuck.

3.2/5  rDev -0.3%

Reddish amber color. Head dissipates down to a thin layer of foam. Clear. Wild hops and a weak barley/bread aromas. Herbal malts and slight hoppy notes on palate. Clean and crisp. Leaves with a distinct roasted after-flavor. This is a really good brew. Very similar to regular grolsch lager. Not what I'd label as a true premium beer, and not entirely lame and boring like Budmillercoorsweiser. This would be great on a hot summers day.

« first ‹ prev | 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next › last »
Grolsch Amber Ale from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.