Grolsch Blond - Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.

Grolsch BlondGrolsch Blond

poor

Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V. visit their website
Netherlands

American Blonde Ale |  3.80% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-24-2002)
3.33/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

If your a beer purist or someone who likes flavorful beers, then you may not agree with this review. Grolsch Blonde Lager had very little taste and is a little lighter in color than a MGD. I think it would be unfair to judge this beer against excellent tasty crafts....for that is not the market of beer drinkers this was aimed for. This Blonde lager is sweet with a little hops to be detected. For anyone that drinks Bud or Miller products....this will be a welcome addition to the fridge. It goes down like cool-aid after two hours of yard work...and I found it to be light but sweet with very little...if any...unpleasantries. There is nothing special about this beer except that it may be the most poundable beer I have ever tried...while being watered down, it doesn't possess nearly as many off tastes and adjuncts...it is unbelievably easy to drink. I threw this in a variety six...just to try it...I was pleasantly suprised....not a bad brew! Little to no head...taste like a sweet hellas ultra light....a little grainy but no bad....moderate carbonation. My mother would drink this beer....but I must admit....I will revisit it myself...especially if I just have a mission...if you know what I mean.

witster18, Jan 19, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -2.4%

12oz clear bottle

Grolsch Blond Lager was pale golden in color with a white head. The head was fairly small and quickly became a very thin layer, and after a few minutes only a ring remained. The aroma was lighlty malty. The taste was light malt as well and a little sweet to start with a dry finish. The body was light to medium with plenty of carbonation. Drinkabilty was average.

afinepilsner, Oct 08, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Sample at AleFest Dayton: Dark yellow color with a thin and wispy white head with fair retention. Thin spotty lacing. Sweet aroma of corn and honey. Light-bodied and bland with weak hops and caramel flavor. The finish is clean and relatively flavorless. Unimpressive.

Dogbrick, Sep 07, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +19%

The Grolsch Blonde Lager was a beer that I had never heard of but picked up spontaneously from my local grocery store. The packaging was attractive, and I admit that this was the reason for my purchase.

I find this beer to be fantastically drinkable. It has a sweet taste, but the sweetness doesn't go overboard. Carbonation is ample--if not strong--and compliments the sweet, slightly skunky flavor. I'm not overall in love with the yellow appearance of this beer, and it does pour a rather weak head. Lacing is nearly nonexistent. The smell is quite skunky but it also hints at the sweetness.

Overall Grolsch's blond lager offering is a session favorite of mine and I continue to purchase the beer regularly. The lackluster appearance is soon forgotten and becomes a non-issue while enjoying this fine beer.

RoundelMike, Jun 24, 2006
3.03/5  rDev +4.5%

Purchased from Great Spirits, Huntsville, AL.

A: Pale yellow-orange, almost honey-colored body. Thick white head that dissipates immediately.

S: Sugary-sweet aroma, but with an artificial "off" smell mixed in.

T: Sweet, almost syrupy. No off flavors. Decent.

M: Smooth, silky. Goes down very easily -- very enjoyable.

D: It's very smooth and goes down easy. Nothing overly special, but would make a good sessioner or "intro" to craft beer.

danielharper, May 04, 2006
2.98/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz bottle (drank out of bottle offered from my neighbor)

Appearance was a pale, honey golden color. Don't know about head and lacing since it wasn't poured.

Smell was a bit faint since it was still in the bottle and wasn't allowed to air itself.

Taste was very light and smooth. Not a lot of real flavor to it at all. Little to no bitterness throughout.

Mouthfeel was average, nothing real special. Goes down very smooth though.

Drinkability is its best asset. I feel I could down several in one sitting. May be due to it's low ABV of 4.5%.

This wasn't a great product. Felt like an american light beer with slightly better flavor. I would not recommend.

adam42381, Mar 30, 2006
3.28/5  rDev +13.1%

Empty golden color. No head and light lacing.

Smell is skunky like I expected (and enjoy). Taste is also of a skunky nature that reminds me of normal Grolsch lager along with several other german beers of this style. Just the right amount of bitterness lingers on this one which leads to good drinkability. I find this very refreshing simply because it is simple.

Good carbonation. Would be better if some sort of taste lingered longer.

chakadrum, Mar 18, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a dark yellow... a meager head forms, with no lacing, and few bubbles tracing up the glass.

Smells sweet, and I detect some corn characteristics. No hint of skunking, despite the clear bottle. I taste the same corn... probably used as an adjunct? Sweet, obviously low in alcohol... Leaves an aftertaste that isn't pleasant, but not quite unpleasant either. Could have benefited some more carbonation, I think, to make up for the lack of character otherwise. Not a bad beer, but I won't be seeking it out - one is enough.

hunteraw, Mar 04, 2006
2.65/5  rDev -8.6%

appearance: The pour into my pilsner glass creates a .5" white head that recedes very slowly, being fed by a rush of bubbles from the bottom. The beer is a pale golden color.

smell: Typical light grainy sweetness associated with the style. Considerable noble hop aroma. Hints of grain, wet canned dog food (I swear), and...well, I can't get past the dog food.

mouthfeel: The carbonation is medium and smooth...kinda low actually, but just a little. The body is on the slicker, heavier side of the light range.

taste: Pretty much the same as the nose, though the "dog food" that I mentioned is less noticeable here. There's a sweetness of light grain that dominates, with light noble hop flavors and just a touch of bitterness.

drinkability: Easy to drink, I guess, but I don't want to do so again

Given to me by a friend back home, who gets hooked up with beers from the distributor. There is a best by date of 21 April 2006 printed on the reverse label.

blackie, Feb 26, 2006
2.6/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

This is a new beer from one of the larger pils/lager breweries in Holland. Grolsch is trying to develop new beers with varying success. When I opened this bottle and smelled it, a mash-like smell, like unfermented beer entered my nose. There is some malt in there, but it is being pushed away by the off-flavour of the typical sweetness that alcohol-free beers usually have. First taste was malty and slightly sweet, typical Grolsch bitterness and also some mash taste. After the third swallow, the taste slowly fades away and apart from the (alcohol-free) sweetness, this is almost tastes like a pils/lager beer. All together I was not very impressed with this beer, but as this was probably one of the first batches, I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Absumaster, Dec 06, 2005
2.03/5  rDev -30%

When I found this at the local packy I was pretty stoked. I'm a huge fan of Grolsch in the swing top bottle (both the lager and the amber), and couldn't wait to get this stuff home and try it....I should have waited...a long long time lol.

The smell is very much like the green bottle lager. It's pretty crisp and clean. Not much foam (but I was drinking it from the bottle not a glass). The taste however was kinda lacking, and to my horror I'd tasted it before...from a bottle of Miller High Life. They're so much alike in taste, right down to the shitty after taste, that I'm surprised no one else has pointed it out.

I'd say give it a pass, and just get the green bottle if you're looking for a lager. However if you want some High Life in a fancier bottle for twice the price, by all means have a go at it.

lordbrad1, Dec 03, 2005

Appearance: Medium golden color, quite clear, with a large, coarse, white head, scattered patchy lacing, and fat fast-rising bubbles.

Aroma: Light toasted malt notes, mild grassiness, with slight noble hops. Despite the clear bottle, no skunk off-aroma was present.

Taste: Slight caramel and lightly toasted malts at the open, midway through the taste mild hops with a slight metallic note overlay the taste. The finish is clean and dry.

Mouth feel: Smooth and pleasant, fairly full, soft, with a sting of carbonation at the tip of the tongue.

Drinkability/notes: Pleasant, unremarkable, better than American examples of the style, nothing special, but nothing to despise, either.

Presentation: Packaged in a short, clear glass custom bottle with a pop-off crown, served in a standard pint tap glass.

Pegasus, Nov 13, 2005
3.13/5  rDev +7.9%

Bright yellow color with a thin sticky lace for a head. The aroma is slighty grassy and mildly hopped. Pretty clean. The taste is about the same too. Meduim-light body with a moderate amount of carbonation. Grassy grains and a little hops spice to balance it out. Clean refreshing finish. Not bad, pretty much an average lager from Europe. Goes good with a meal but nothing to get excited about.

Luigi, Aug 22, 2005
3.15/5  rDev +8.6%

A nice offering from Grolsche... Poured out to a golden yellow color, which made me wonder why they didn't use a brown or green bottle to protect this very prone brew from light. Anyhow....Nice head, and a touch of lace around the glass. Odors of grass and grain were most noted. Flavor was one sided, with hints of malt and sweetness. Finished kind of chewy and slightly sour. Not a bad beer. Worth a try for fans of this style.

Frozensoul327, Aug 11, 2005
2.6/5  rDev -10.3%

BB okt 05. Nice head that's lasting and golden and clear beercolor.
Nose is hoppy, litle malty and litle estery alltogether leaving a good and beery nose. taste is lot less, no body, not much maltyness, very watery and quiet bitter for it's light taste. The brew misses just some extra malts to make it into a good brew but with this watery mouthfeel it's just not my type off beer.

paterlodie, Jul 06, 2005
3.23/5  rDev +11.4%

Packaged in a clear bottle, but, surprisingly, no off aroma. Pale golden yellow with short-lived head. I noted on the bottle that "sugars" was listed as an ingredient, so I expected a very adjunct-laden flavor. The beer turned out to be pretty well put-together for the style - the flavor profile was clean, finishing with a small amount of residual sweetness. Hopping was low, as one would expect. Smooth and a worthwhile alternative to the generic U.S. macro lager.

Brent, Jun 28, 2005
3.1/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a light golden straw colour with a fluffy little white head. Aroma is sweet but not of corn sugar more of malt. Taste is pretty sweet with almost no hops notices. Pretty bland beer, but nothing offensive or too bad. Mouthfeel is Ok the carbonation was good and nothing to raise a fuss over. Drinkability is a touch above average. It maybe bland and boring, but its non offensive. A step up from BMC IMO. nothing I would keep stocked as all times for myself, but I might keep a sixer around for guests who like their beer yellow and fizzy. Besides at 2.50 a sixer its hard to find better swill beer for parties.

TinusTime, Apr 04, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -5.2%

Appearance: Golden yellow with a small, white, frothy head that quickly diminished to a thin film but left some decent lacing behind.

Smell: The mild fresh nothingness of a typical American macro, but not as much adjunct stink… but yes it does still have a little stink. A little grainy.

Taste: A little fruity and yeasty, nicely malted, and a very light hop bitterness on the short finish.

Mouthfeel: Light body, watery texture, lively carbonation. Drinks like an Am. Adjunct.

Drinkability: This is definitely a drink-it-very-cold kind of beer. It’s crisp and refreshing, but turns a little harsh and stinky if you let it warm up. This is nothing special, but it might be slightly better than their lager.

ski271, Mar 21, 2005
4.13/5  rDev +42.4%

I've known about this brew for quite sometime, but only just now got around to purchasing and tasting it. I'm glad I did. It's quite tasty. It's a light orange/medium yellow in colour with a fluffy snow white head. Its smell is almost sweet with very little evidence of hops and plenty of evidence of malt; Which is good, seeing as how I really, really don't like hops. The taste, too, is almost sweet with plenty of malt on the finish. Very light mouth feel and little carbonation make this very easy to drink. I'll admit that there isn't a terrible lot of flavour here, but it is pleasant and would certainly make a great session beer. It's fairly light, goes down smoothly, and isn't at all offensive. What's not to like about that?!

SilentSabre, Feb 09, 2005
3.38/5  rDev +16.6%

I have to start this review off by saying I was EXPECTING to smell a skunky beer. I had in my hand a clear bottle of yellow beer. What else should I expect. I was somewhat disappointed. NO SKUNK!!!! I got ripped off. I cannot even rant and rave about the evils of the not brown bottle. Well here goes with my review.

This lager poured a bright clear yellow with a white cloud like hear that left lace that still clings to the side of my glass. A slight swirl of the glass brings the head back to life.

The aroma is muted and a very little sweet graininess. No off aromas whatsoever.

The taste is sweet malt with no hop bitterness. For my taste too balanced to the malt. But still it is clean. It finishes almost cloyingly on the tongue.

The mouthfeel is medium light. Almost surprisingly so. I was expecting something very light and it does not fit with my misconceptions.

This would be a good beer for someone who was trying to branch out from Bud. It is light but does have some flavor.

LarryKemp, Jan 12, 2005
1.88/5  rDev -35.2%

I would say this beer is sub par at best. Piss yellow, zero head (after 30 seconds), smells like the floor of a frat house.

Taste is nothing. Slighly oxidized/metalic aftertaste, which overpowers any malt or hops that might be there.

Why not drink Miller or Bud? It's cheaper, and at least you wouldn't be fooling yourself. A true dissapointment.

zjungleist, Jan 11, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -1.7%

Bought a sixer of this, directly from an unopened box..so lets hope there is no skunk.
Says Grolsch Blonde Lager on the bottle..I assume this is the same thing as the ratings.
Appearance when poured from the 12 oz clear glass bottle is very lackluster. a pale yellow ..the only thing that sets it apart from,say, Corona is the sizable head.
A very unpleasant grassy aroma..almost as if they are trying to out Corona .Corona..at least its not skunked as Corona usually is.
The taste though is actually quite acceptable..its a sweet beer mostly, some quality malts..but a refreshing hop zing at the end.
Mouthful aslo is not bad for the style, thicker than most.
For all its faults this would be a very drinkable beer siting on the beach in the summer.

Reidrover, Dec 07, 2004
1.6/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

The label on my (clear) bottle reads "Grolsch Blonde Lager." The regular Grolsch lager is basically just a typical green bottle euro-pilsner so I didn't know what to expect from this clear bottled brew displaying a bright yellow liquid. It turns out that this has more in common with an economy class American light beer than even your most average euro-pils.

Grolsch Blond pours a yellowish gold color with barely a fingers worth of foam that vanishes in about 15 seconds. The smell is quite simply adjuncty. Some skunk is present here, but the corny aroma makes it presence known. The mouthfeel is thin and moderately carbonated. This didn't have that much flavor to it and was near light-beer wateriness. Adjuncty flavors of corn, mustiness/soapiness, and some light fruitiness. The finish had a bit more dryness in the finish than I was expecting, but it wasn't enough to salvage the brew. The aftertaste has some lingering dryness and a very distinct corny graininess which sticks for a few minutes. No alcoholic warmth to end this one.

I don't know what the point of this beer is. It almost seems like an attempt to cash in on the Corona market. It is most certainly not an ale, but no matter what it is this brew is quite poor. Not recommended.

Beastdog75, Oct 26, 2004
1.9/5  rDev -34.5%

Consumed in September, 2004. Bought this six pack at Grocery Outlet in California. Poured with fairly large head with not much lace. Smelled similar to a Coors light or something like it. Tasted pretty much the same. Seemed to have some kind of metallic taste to it. Can see now why it was so cheap. Nice looking bottle, but not a nice tasting beer. Will finish the 6 pack, but may have to wait until I have a few first.

GClarkage, Sep 21, 2004
2.25/5  rDev -22.4%

The after its departure form the 12-ounce clear bottle sets in the glass an unblemished straw color, the head portly and bright white with the texture semi-creamy, the lace a white sheet to conceal the glass. Sweet malt dominates the nose, crisp and clean, start is sweet with a light malt presence and the top spindly in feel. Finish is light to moderate in its acidity, the hops present but mild and the aftertaste dry, drinkable, but by no means a favorite of mine, sample once every 4 years or so just for the hell of it.

Gusler, Aug 01, 2004
Grolsch Blond from Grolsch Bierbrouwerij N.V.