Coffee Porter - Meantime Brewing Company Limited

Coffee PorterCoffee Porter

Meantime Brewing Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffee Porter Alström Bros
chugalug06

Colorado

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

A - Quite watery. Little to no head. Slight yellow color on head. Brew is nice and clear brown.

S - Just like tequila...BLAH! WOW, never spelt coffee like this... Smells like mexican coffee. BLAH! Where's the kahlua?

T - Where's the kahlua? Nasty!!!! Perhaps the scent ruined it for me... Bad brew.

M - Light, watery, and little carbonation.

O - Drain pour. Disappointment. This could be the last brew I seek from Meantime.

06-23-2011 03:16:20 | More by chugalug06
MeisterBurger

Ontario (Canada)

2.03/5  rDev -46.4%

First things first: The bottle is fantastic.

A vigorous pour leaves a thick, billowy head of foam atop an opaque brownish red liquid. Retains and laces nicely.

This smells like a campfire. Ashen and roasty. Oddly vegetably. And like instant coffee.

Tastes burnt with a slight cooked vegetable taste to it. Metallic. Which one of you stuck a cigarette butt in my beer? I would try to find more things to say about this beer but that would mean drinking it.

Mouthfeel: Pretty light.

Drinkability: Negative.

Conclusion: Drain pour.

01-09-2011 00:30:22 | More by MeisterBurger
drpimento

Wisconsin

2.08/5  rDev -45.1%

Got this bottle at Sam's in Chicago a few months ago. Poured with a nice tan head that mostly subsided and a little lace. Color is an opaque brown. Aroma is very coffee and a little chocolate malt. Flavor was really off: very dry, and mineraly. Bitter coffee was there, of course. Also some tartness. Shoulda kept the bottle in the fridge. Can't finish it.

09-04-2009 01:37:53 | More by drpimento
OtherShoe2

2.13/5  rDev -43.8%

Poured a dark brown with a huge foamy tan head. Looked like a glass of rootbeer.

Lots of coffee scents dominating here. Tough to get much through the three finger head, though.

I actually had to do some digging on reviews here, as my first sip, and all subsequent ones, started out with a very very sour taste (vinegar? maybe, but more like buttermilk). Once I fought through this, I got to some deep roasted malt and a very very pleasant (the only pleasant part, for that matter) coffee finish. Drank about a quarter of the beer, drain poured the rest.

Thinner and quite carbonated in mouthfeel.

Horrid experience for $4.80 single. I feel guilty reviewing what could have been an infected bottle, but as I read more (on BA and outside sources), I found this to be quite common with Meantime. So, am I reviewing the true elements of the beer? Absolutely. If it was one in a million to get a bad bottle, then I'd be wrong, but this hopefully stands as a warning to others to beware of quality control issues with this brewer.

10-09-2009 12:27:48 | More by OtherShoe2
Parrotshake

Australia

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Picked this up the other night because there was a discount on a mixed six and I already had 2 x 2 good beers. The guy at the store recommended it after I mentioned I was familiar with his first recommendation of Aventinus, and I grabbed it despite already being wary of Meantime on account of their lacklustre IPA (which is very highly rated on this site, so what do I know :P).

I already tried this the other night and disliked it, but I'm always willing to admit I'm wrong...

Poured at cellar temperature + 10 mins in the fridge, an opaque dark brown with almost 2 fingers of head which disappears pretty quick.

Smells of stale filter coffee and not much else. Hint of coffee liquer, but not real promising so far.

Tastes of coffee to the point you can barely tell it's beer, and not real good coffee either. Big metallic aftertaste really rams it home - this isn't beer as we know it.

Flat but creamy mouthfeel, thin body with a dry finish. A bit chalky, but not offensively. Mouthfeel is easily the best thing this beer has going for it.

If you liked the taste, presumably you could drink a ton of it - it's somehow very refreshing. That said, it tastes like a cup of bad black coffee gone cold, with gunpowder and pencil lead in it, so why would you want to? Personally, I'm unlikely to buy another beer from Meantime, and I'll certainly stay the fuck away from this.

04-03-2009 13:27:29 | More by Parrotshake
ChadQuest

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%

Pour is looking good, there is a nice towering light milky latte colored head being reinforced from the bottom by a steady stream of carbination. however the aroma being produced by this isn't that appealing to me...

It has a very strong coffee presence, but its a very strong stale-ish aroma, one that smells more artifical then real roasted coffee.

Taste is similar in the extent of the artificial flavors of coffee, and then throw in warm milk, not steamed milk, but left out to warm milk, and some syrupy soda pop mouthfeel and flavors.

I wont be buying this again, it looked very attractive, both the bottle and the pour, but for me that was all it had going for it. im dissapointed.

I am a coffee geek and love a few coffee beers, and some are poorly done. check this one into the latter.

06-01-2010 05:17:17 | More by ChadQuest
Focusf111

Vermont

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

07-09-2012 05:38:27 | More by Focusf111
originalsin

2.38/5  rDev -37.2%

Picked this "Coffee Porter" up in Mammoth, CA. I picked it up along with the a few bottles of Gonzo...not really sure why. I don't even drink coffee but the hell with it. Let's give this beer a go.

A: The pour is dark brown, very smooth though. A thick 1/2 inch of head takes about 30 seconds to settle. There's little lacing to speak of.

S: There's a powerful dark roast aroma. A little chocolate..but that's about all. Mostly just coffee.

T: There's some chocolate, again...but, as expected, the taste of coffee dominates. I have a hard time keeping this down. Like I said, I'm not a coffee drinker...sorry.

M: The beers a little sweet for my taste, heavily carbonated, and very very smooth.

D: My first reaction to this beer was that it's incredibly smooth. For some reason, though...I couldn't do more than simply sip on it. Maybe it was the flavor...

It claims to be equivalent to a cup of coffee, so that was a plus. Meantime's Coffee Porter was a success in that it gave me enough energy, or the impetus at least, to stay up another 2 hours and wash the taste out of my mouth with some truly tasty beers.

Cheers-

04-14-2009 03:54:48 | More by originalsin
steve8robin

2.42/5  rDev -36.1%

This beer had a very strong coffee taste. When poured, the carbonation fizzes like a cola. Very watery mouthfeel. Taste is like coffee bean flavored tonic water. It had a very dark color with what looked like a small layer of water on top. Went down like water, too easy. Definitely not impressed with this one.

11-16-2009 00:11:03 | More by steve8robin
pin

Australia

2.5/5  rDev -34%

05-20-2013 16:45:08 | More by pin
drabmuh

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured into a Russian River wine glass. Beer is brown and haze with a decent head of medium and small brown bubbles, some lacing, moderate to low carbonation.

Aroma is all coffee, that's good.

This is where the beer goes all wrong with me. It's thin and oddly lactic with a strong bitterness that has nothing to do with hops or coffee. The coffee only comes up in the late aftertaste, not appealing....kind of gross. I only drank about 2/3 of it and then decided to pour the rest out.

12-20-2010 04:12:07 | More by drabmuh
kbnooshay

2.53/5  rDev -33.2%

I think i got a seriously old botte.

Proceed.

One of the coolest style bottles ive ever seen. Weirdly shaped kinda like a bowling pin, but with a flat wide bottom. Elegant labeling.

Poured a nice dark brown color with long ruby highlights down the side and bottom of the glass. The tan brown head is fairly frothy and sticks around for a few minutes.

This smells like coffee, chocolate and wood. Fairly malty.

Ick. This tastes like olives and bitter chocolate. Tastes woody, and the coffee flavor isn't nearly as noticeable as in the nose. Wtf is this? Slightly sour at the end of the sip.

The feel is thin.

This is gross.

10-06-2010 00:01:50 | More by kbnooshay
nassaubeercop

2.55/5  rDev -32.7%

Upon opening beer "exploded" foamy head rose quickly out of bottle neck on onto the floor and counter. I don't think I shook this bottle up so be prepared and open it over the sink. What did not end up on the floor and counter I poured into a small St.Sebastiaan tulip glass.

A- Huge head, again I don't know if the bottle got shaken, filling half the glass with a tan foamy head. Head dissipated leaving a reddish brown beer with loose bubbly tan surface. No lacing.

S- Very sweet, molasses, caramel, butterscotch, not at much coffee as I had expected on the nose. A fair amount of liquor smell, like an Irish or Mexican coffee at desert.

T- Not at all what I was expecting. Very carbonated like a coke, very fruity/winey, reminds me of a Kriek or Frambroise lambic though not as cloying. Where is the coffee?

M- Too much carbonation maybe? Sticks to the roof of the mouth and tongue, leaving an oily slightly bitter butterscotch aftertaste.

O- Not sure what to make of this beer. Scratching my head really, don't know how this can be labeled a coffee porter. Wondering if I got a bad or old batch batch. I don't detect any oxidation and the best buy date is 110311, so I assume that is 11/03/2011 or 3/11/2011 and not 11/11/2003. Its not a bad beer but the style seems to be "off". Weird?

09-22-2011 15:21:51 | More by nassaubeercop
Knapp85

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

This beer really took my breathe away but in a negative way. The porter poured out as a deep brown color but had no head at all. It barely even had a film on top. The smell of the beer is straight coffee, almost like they brewed coffee and bottled it. The taste is just coffee, I wasn't getting anything else from this beer in way of taste. The mouthfeel is watery and flat, very very boring. Overall I won't be drinking this one again. It just seemed like the put fresh brewed coffee in these bottles and shipped it out to everyone. No depth to this beer and nothing exciting either.

06-25-2011 16:39:49 | More by Knapp85
rudzud

2.6/5  rDev -31.4%

Picked this up on a whim at Julio's while trying to fill a "mix-a-six" thanks to the bottle. Wish I hadn't.

A - Unfortunately, no head retention on this porter. Pours a nice typical deep chestnut brown. Initially theres a very fizzy half a finger head but that very quickly disappears leaving no lacing. Halo nonexistant too.

S - Nice smell. Fresh ground coffee beans, the nice bitter and sweet coffee aspects. Thats pretty much all I'm getting though is the coffee.

T - This tastes like an iced coffee without cream and sugar. Tastes kinda watery too. Just, wow. Never thought I would have a beer that tasted like watered down coffee.

M - Like stated earlier, feels very watered down. Very, very little carbonation barely nonexistant. Flat feeling.

D - I guess its average drinkability. Stuff is a pretty poor porter. This tastes, looks, and smells like a watered down iced coffee, just at 6%. Oh well, cant all be great drinks!

01-19-2011 06:16:10 | More by rudzud
scottfrie

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%

375ml bottle into Portsmouth snifter.

A: Pours an extremely dark, clear, mahogany reddish-brown with a couple finger of thick light tan head that faded into a thick film. A great network of lacing was left down the glass.
S: Extremely strong notes of cheap coffee grounds. The nose is coffee 100%, but it’s a kind of nasty watery used coffee ground type of smell.
T: Tastes just like the nose with a strong yet slightly off-putting coffee taste. The coffee tastes old, burnt, watery and acidic. There is a strange metallic taste as well. Finish is full of caramel and toasted grains, and the aftertaste reminds me of burnt caramel and toasted marshmallows.
M: Super frothy carbonation over a medium-thin body
O: Obviously not my favorite coffee beer but I’ve had worse. The coffee in this just wasn’t that good.

10-15-2011 23:12:00 | More by scottfrie
diechipmunk

2.65/5  rDev -30.1%

A: Pours a dark brown color, but a little more transparent than I expected. Very little head, just a thin ring around the glass.

S: Coffee dominates the aroma, and really is all that comes through with maybe a touch of malt sweetness.

T: Coffee also dominates the taste, again there isn't much else other than a little malt or chocolate sweetness, but not enough, in my opinion, to balance the bitter coffee. I won't say it tastes bad, it doesn't, it just doesn't taste much more than bitter coffee, more like a dark coffee pilsener than porter.

M: The body very light. Moderat, fizzy, carbonation, which paired with the light body, reminded me more of cider than beer.

D: I like coffee stouts and porters, but this falls a bit short. Too thin and one dimensional. It's easy to drink, if you like coffee, but nothing special.

02-05-2010 13:23:33 | More by diechipmunk
jburns4

2.7/5  rDev -28.8%

I was disappointed by this beer. I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, it didn't seem at all like a beer to me. It tasted like bad, cold coffee. Coffee flavor is definitely present, but didn't satisfy in the way some other coffee/mocha porters do. Felt thin in the mouth and didn't have any of the body I was expecting. Not something I would try again.

04-19-2009 18:46:15 | More by jburns4
mikereaser

2.73/5  rDev -28%

Poured from a bottle on 11/18/09

A - pours a pitch black with 2 inches of tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - roasted coffee, hints of chocolate, sort of weak aroma

T - bitter coffee flavor, gets you in the back of the jaw, like drinking coffee

M - smooth, slightly carbonated

D - not a very tasty beer, not as good as i was hoping for. I will not be purchasing another

01-07-2010 17:05:47 | More by mikereaser
kwkdmk

Louisiana

07-21-2014 00:00:33 | More by kwkdmk
BeerSox

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

330ml bell shaped bottle into pint glass.

The first pour yielded about a millimeter of beer and the rest of the glass was foam. Not sure how that happened. With the second pour, very gentle, I was able to get all of the beer in with about a three finger head. Specks of sediment sit on top of the rocky head that takes forever to settle.

Lots of coffee and a little bit of cocoa.

After one sip I understood why this beer foamed up so much - it's probably infected or very poorly bottle conditioned. This isn't a one-in-a-million occurrence with Meantime, you have to get lucky to have a beer from them in good condition. Some roasted dark malts make their way through, but the feel is so acidic it's like it was brewed with vinegar. Please, get or improve the QC.

Hopefully the next time I can actually enjoy this one. I hate to review a beer that ended up like this but this brewery may be skipping a step before shipping.

08-09-2009 03:00:31 | More by BeerSox
seanyfo

United Kingdom (Scotland)

33cl bottle poured into an imperial pint glass

A- Jet stealthy black body with creamy tan head. Fantastic head retention and lacing

S- Harsh roasted malt. Smoked rauchbier/cigar qualities overpowering anything else

T- There is a tangyiness like a blue cheese. Smoked flavours come through to a harsh hop/rauchbier malt mashup. Coffee flavours, none i can detect.

M- Creamy, low carbonation

D- I detect no coffee in this, so thats a black mark but as a stout, it definitely has a nice roasted malt quality but although in the smell it is a bit abrasive. Not a beer to be quaffed at a fast rate. One will do and even at that i found it hard to finish due to the bitterness.

02-27-2010 23:23:24 | More by seanyfo
thinwhiteduke

08-18-2014 01:15:53 | More by thinwhiteduke
byaeger

Oregon

2.8/5  rDev -26.1%

This was my first time buying a bottle of Meantime and I'd heard good things. I picked it up from City Beer along with a mixed pack of various coffee stouts figuring, meh, coffee porter, why not?

Especially at five bucks for 11.2 oz, I wanted this to be phenomenal. I love dark porters and dark-roasted black coffee. This, however, looks too thin and watery to be either porter or coffee. Poured into an Irish Coffee glass, it is completely transparent.

Having purchased the bottle only a week ago, it immediately opened with off scents that not even the coffee overpowered.

The brewed coffee is obvious in the taste, but flavor and mouthfeel-wise, it's just too watery.

While I am able to finish the bottle, I won't be buying this one again and remain optimistic about the rest of the coffee stouts I procured (before attempting to brew that style).

03-03-2009 20:26:23 | More by byaeger
matjack85

2.85/5  rDev -24.8%

Found this single, odd, bowling pin shaped 330ml brown bottle at the Binny's in Plainfield, IL for $6.99. It had a little blurb on the label about how to enjoy this beer, but there was no freshness date to be found.

The beer poured a really dark brown color (but not quite black) with ruby red tinting when held to light. It made a nice 3-finger, off-white, foamy head that dissipated rather quickly leaving only a minimal amount of lacing.

The smell had a nice, rich, chocolate and vanilla bean aroma to it, but left me wondering, where's the coffee?

It didn't take long to get my answer to that question. Fron the first sip, this beer oozes with coffee flavor. So much so that now I can't pick up any of the chocolate or vanilla flavors that I got in the smell. The coffee flavor was strong but I didn't like it all that well. It had both a sour and tart flavor to it. It reminded me of cold, leftover, bitter coffee that I decided to finish 3 hours after I made it. Many reviewers liked it though, so make your own judgement as to the taste.

I thought the mouthfeel was the worst part about this beer. It was totally thin and watery - unlike any good porter I ever had. The carbonation was at an OK medium level, but the aftertaste was bitter and sour.

The 6.0% abv isn't that noticable so it's easy to drink if you like the flavor, but since I didn't much care for the flavor it wasn't all that drinkable for me. I'll pass on this one.

12-26-2009 05:56:52 | More by matjack85