Coffee Porter - Meantime Brewing Company Limited

Meantime Brewing Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2004

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 592 | Reviews: 400
2.76/5  rDev -27%

Poured from a bottle on 11/18/09

A - pours a pitch black with 2 inches of tan foam that slowly disappeared

S - roasted coffee, hints of chocolate, sort of weak aroma

T - bitter coffee flavor, gets you in the back of the jaw, like drinking coffee

M - smooth, slightly carbonated

D - not a very tasty beer, not as good as i was hoping for. I will not be purchasing another

2.77/5  rDev -26.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

33cl bottle poured into an imperial pint glass

A- Jet stealthy black body with creamy tan head. Fantastic head retention and lacing

S- Harsh roasted malt. Smoked rauchbier/cigar qualities overpowering anything else

T- There is a tangyiness like a blue cheese. Smoked flavours come through to a harsh hop/rauchbier malt mashup. Coffee flavours, none i can detect.

M- Creamy, low carbonation

D- I detect no coffee in this, so thats a black mark but as a stout, it definitely has a nice roasted malt quality but although in the smell it is a bit abrasive. Not a beer to be quaffed at a fast rate. One will do and even at that i found it hard to finish due to the bitterness.

2.8/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

330ml bell shaped bottle into pint glass.

The first pour yielded about a millimeter of beer and the rest of the glass was foam. Not sure how that happened. With the second pour, very gentle, I was able to get all of the beer in with about a three finger head. Specks of sediment sit on top of the rocky head that takes forever to settle.

Lots of coffee and a little bit of cocoa.

After one sip I understood why this beer foamed up so much - it's probably infected or very poorly bottle conditioned. This isn't a one-in-a-million occurrence with Meantime, you have to get lucky to have a beer from them in good condition. Some roasted dark malts make their way through, but the feel is so acidic it's like it was brewed with vinegar. Please, get or improve the QC.

Hopefully the next time I can actually enjoy this one. I hate to review a beer that ended up like this but this brewery may be skipping a step before shipping.

2.86/5  rDev -24.3%

A - The bottle is definitely cool. It got me interested in the beer in the first place. Poured a soapy two finger head. Head quickly disappeared and left some nice lacing. Nice hazy amber color. I was expecting something darker and more stoutish like other coffee porters. Kinda nice for a change.

S - Day old coffee. The kind you like to drink after a long night of drinking. Hints of vanilla and booze.

T - Roasted coffee. Just like drinking an iced coffee. this beer even has a sweet finish, kind of how i like to sweeten my coffee. The finish on this beer leaves me with roasted malts as well.

M - This is probably my least favorite feature of this beer. The beer has no body. Its wet and carbonated, but not in a nice way for me. Kinda like drinking a new castle (dont really care for them)

D - This is different from all the coffee porters that exist and i commend Meantime for making a truly different beer. Its not bad tasting, but i cant get past the lack of body. comparing this to others in its category, it falls flat for me. I dont think i would consider this first when choosing a beer.

2.92/5  rDev -22.8%

Found this single, odd, bowling pin shaped 330ml brown bottle at the Binny's in Plainfield, IL for $6.99. It had a little blurb on the label about how to enjoy this beer, but there was no freshness date to be found.

The beer poured a really dark brown color (but not quite black) with ruby red tinting when held to light. It made a nice 3-finger, off-white, foamy head that dissipated rather quickly leaving only a minimal amount of lacing.

The smell had a nice, rich, chocolate and vanilla bean aroma to it, but left me wondering, where's the coffee?

It didn't take long to get my answer to that question. Fron the first sip, this beer oozes with coffee flavor. So much so that now I can't pick up any of the chocolate or vanilla flavors that I got in the smell. The coffee flavor was strong but I didn't like it all that well. It had both a sour and tart flavor to it. It reminded me of cold, leftover, bitter coffee that I decided to finish 3 hours after I made it. Many reviewers liked it though, so make your own judgement as to the taste.

I thought the mouthfeel was the worst part about this beer. It was totally thin and watery - unlike any good porter I ever had. The carbonation was at an OK medium level, but the aftertaste was bitter and sour.

The 6.0% abv isn't that noticable so it's easy to drink if you like the flavor, but since I didn't much care for the flavor it wasn't all that drinkable for me. I'll pass on this one.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

This is one of the coolest looking bottles I've picked up. I dig it.

Pours a dark watery black with a good 2-finger tan head on top. Retention is good, and it leaves some nice sticky lacing. Smells of faint malty breads, roasted coffee, and some chocolate tones.

Mouthfeel is thin and weak. Flavor is some bitter cocoa right away but this gives way to a weird sour finish. The roasted nutty characteristics I expected are absent, instead there's a thin, watery, weak mess. Not that great. I'll most likely not get this one again. Too bad. I like coffee and I like porters...

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

Poured into a Unibroue tulip glass at a too low temp of 40.

Appeared a bit light in color when going from the bottle to the glass. Complete pour had the expected porter darkness with a foam head that dissipated within a couple of minutes.

Sweet coffee aroma. Not overwhelming on the coffee front.

First couple of sips were very lacking. Much too watery for a porter. Lacking complexity. One could argue this is a brown ale with coffee. Really expected a fuller body and malt profile. The coffee is well balanced but in this case, it's not a good thing assume the porter aspect of this beer is so weak.

Bottled, consumed 12/17/07.

Pours agreeably dark brown with cola colored highlights.

Aroma is bitter coffee grounds. Flavor is the same. One dimensional.

Mouthfeel is idenitical to water.

I expected more from Meantime as I have been impressed with other offerings I have tried.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours like dark water. Smells of coffee at first, but then get some sort of smell that is just off. Taste is not pleasant, not going to be able to finish my portion of the bottle. Feel is what you would expect based off the look. Overall not good.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into my Allagash chalice/snifter. Pours a brownish-red, yet somewhat clear...with a nice size off-white head. Leaves a creamy lacing that quickly slides down the glass.

Aroma is of burnt coffee. Over-raosted malts...and that's about it. Not much else coming to my mind. It's a rather strange aroma.

Taste is ok...not great. Reminds me of McDonalds burnt/over-roasted coffee. Light mouthfeel, a little nutty...like hazelnut maybe. Kind of earthy...but not in the good way, like sticks and leaves...next to a bonfire.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

330 ml champagne style bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark reddish brown with two fingers of beige head. Decent retention and a little lacing.

S: Smells of roasted coffee, chocolate, Bailey's?

T: Tastes to me like some kind of unsweetened iced coffee drink (or worse, artificially sweetened).

M: Mouthfeel is fairly thin with average carbonation.

D: For me, the drinkability is not high. This is not the worst coffee beer (that dishonour goes to Dark Star) but far from the best (Peche Mortel) that I've had.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

Well chap my hide, I freaking accidentally erased everything I just wrote!!! ARGGGHHHH!!!

Try again...

I totally mixed my days up, as you more detail oriented followers will notice. I didn't type in day 285 on the 285th day, and then I followed that up with using the day 285 two days in a row. We're all good now at 288...phew...

This beer is so unsurprising...

Pours a dark brown, very clear, with red tints and hues (yes, I know I've almost exactly described the color mahogany, but I tire of that word). It's almost identical to the color of an iced coffee. No real lacing, no real carbonation, no real head...Kind of "mehh" thus far...

Did I mention $3.79/11.2oz. bottle and 6% ABV? Nope, well there you go then...

Smells like...would you believe it: COFFEE!! Actually, it's more like coffee nibs or chocolate covered espresso beans. There are very faint hints of some more ale like qualities deep in there, like roasted malt, but coffee truly quashes it all. There are faint meanderings of vanilla and cinnamon...

The flavor is...wait for it...wait for it...This beer is like an Adam Sandler film: you know what you're going to get from frame 1 all the way to the end....The flavor, as you may have guessed, is like COFFEE!! So much so it's almost not a beer. The initial tangy burst reminds one of a porter, but the coffee notes quickly embalm you so that nothing else gets in. The middle is actually even kind of sweet - like coffee with sugar and a touch of cream. Finish is long and bitter...like cold coffee. There is even the same coffee like aftertaste. The price and ABV put this beer in the "don't bother" category...

What I like most: Sofia Vergara's profile...

What I like least: any movie with Meryl Streep in it...

Verdict: (See what I did there? I used non-sequiturs to highlight the fact that this beer is not really like a beer)...

I was intrigued by the style when I first spotted it on the shelf and I had a good experience with the IPA but this one leaves alot to be desired. Has a very strong coffee smell upon the initial pour and that translates over your tastebuds on the fist sip. One of the disappointing issues I found is that flavour is lost upon successive drinks unless you allow some time to pass between quaffs. It also contains a strong citrus flavor in the background which I'm attributing to the yeast strain. This brew, without the "coffee flavouring", seems like it would be a formidable beer but definitely NOT a porter.

poured into my duvel tulip glass, poured a thin black with a two finger head that rises to the top and quickley goes down to a thin lacing around the rim of the glass, the smell is coffiee and hops, the taste is a sightly sour malt with coffiee and some baking coco then a huge rush of grassey bitter hops, the beer is wattery at best and thers not enough hops in the mix. just an avrage offering

3.02/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black. One-finger tan head. This does have a coffee aroma, but not as strong as I expected. The smell is sort of overpowered by a sickeningly burnt brown sugar scent. There's just a hint of malt.

Luckily, the sugars in the smell don't carry over much in the taste. The flavor is mainly black coffee with hints of toasted malts & mocha. The mouthfeel is thick & smooth at first, but then there's a kind of dryness at the end.

Overall, just an OK Porter, that's a little too filling for the style.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle from Kingdom Liquors, Brandon, FL. And what a bottle it is - very shiny and uniquely shaped. I'd be lying if I said the bottle wasn't the main reason I bought this beer. Anyway, poured into a 14 oz. tulip.

Appearance: My god, where's the beer. This beer is all head, all the time - it takes about 7 or 8 mini pours with up to 2 minutes of downtime in between before I can get most of the bottle out. The head is fluffy, soft-looking, almost cloud-like, and has great staying power. The carbonation that you can see climbing up the sides of the glass to join the head is - you guessed it - incredibly active and fast. Let's hope this isn't a bad bottle. I'll give it a 4.0, 'cause even though it's sort of annoying, it's nice looking.

Aroma: Incredibly earthy and smoky. Bitter coffee grounds are evident, but so are the distinct, pungent odors of leather and tobacco, like a really old cigar. Very strange.

Taste: Hmmm. Methinks this one may be infected. Tart green apple and other funky sour notes mingle with a mild roast of earthy, citrusy coffee, other largely dry toasted malts, a few leafy hop flourishes. Whew.

Mouthfeel: Huge, bubbly, way too carbonated, and incredibly uneven as a result.

Drinkability: Well that's what I get for being attracted to neat-looking bottles. It seems like there's a really good coffee porter in here somewhere, buried under some funk. Alas, this one was capped tight, and bad a best before date of March 11th, 2011. The pricetag - $4.69 for a 12 oz. bottle - is steep enough such that I may have trouble trying this one again too. A shame.

3.06/5  rDev -19%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer has a clear but dense reddish-brown body with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles and a rocky light tan head that last for most of the beer.

S- There is soft notes cold stale coffee and brown malt with a dark nougat note. The finish is a fresh brown malt and plastic smell.

T- The taste of cold stale coffee has some notes of brown malt followed by a finish of coffee grounds.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a watery texture.

D- The coffee is big and stale and the malt taste reminds me of a weak American bock. The flavor is not that impressive but the head last and last. I’m not sure I want to commit to the big bottles of Meantime but I’m glad they only sell this in a small bottle. That is enough.

3.07/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Coffee Porter from Meantime Brewing Company Limited