Coffee Porter - Meantime Brewing Company Limited

Meantime Brewing Company Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-24-2004

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffee Porter Alström Bros

Bottled, consumed 12/17/07.

Pours agreeably dark brown with cola colored highlights.

Aroma is bitter coffee grounds. Flavor is the same. One dimensional.

Mouthfeel is idenitical to water.

I expected more from Meantime as I have been impressed with other offerings I have tried.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Pours like dark water. Smells of coffee at first, but then get some sort of smell that is just off. Taste is not pleasant, not going to be able to finish my portion of the bottle. Feel is what you would expect based off the look. Overall not good.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Poured from an 11.2oz bottle into my Allagash chalice/snifter. Pours a brownish-red, yet somewhat clear...with a nice size off-white head. Leaves a creamy lacing that quickly slides down the glass.

Aroma is of burnt coffee. Over-raosted malts...and that's about it. Not much else coming to my mind. It's a rather strange aroma.

Taste is ok...not great. Reminds me of McDonalds burnt/over-roasted coffee. Light mouthfeel, a little nutty...like hazelnut maybe. Kind of earthy...but not in the good way, like sticks and leaves...next to a bonfire.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

330 ml champagne style bottle poured into a Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a dark reddish brown with two fingers of beige head. Decent retention and a little lacing.

S: Smells of roasted coffee, chocolate, Bailey's?

T: Tastes to me like some kind of unsweetened iced coffee drink (or worse, artificially sweetened).

M: Mouthfeel is fairly thin with average carbonation.

D: For me, the drinkability is not high. This is not the worst coffee beer (that dishonour goes to Dark Star) but far from the best (Peche Mortel) that I've had.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

Well chap my hide, I freaking accidentally erased everything I just wrote!!! ARGGGHHHH!!!

Try again...

I totally mixed my days up, as you more detail oriented followers will notice. I didn't type in day 285 on the 285th day, and then I followed that up with using the day 285 two days in a row. We're all good now at 288...phew...

This beer is so unsurprising...

Pours a dark brown, very clear, with red tints and hues (yes, I know I've almost exactly described the color mahogany, but I tire of that word). It's almost identical to the color of an iced coffee. No real lacing, no real carbonation, no real head...Kind of "mehh" thus far...

Did I mention $3.79/11.2oz. bottle and 6% ABV? Nope, well there you go then...

Smells like...would you believe it: COFFEE!! Actually, it's more like coffee nibs or chocolate covered espresso beans. There are very faint hints of some more ale like qualities deep in there, like roasted malt, but coffee truly quashes it all. There are faint meanderings of vanilla and cinnamon...

The flavor is...wait for it...wait for it...This beer is like an Adam Sandler film: you know what you're going to get from frame 1 all the way to the end....The flavor, as you may have guessed, is like COFFEE!! So much so it's almost not a beer. The initial tangy burst reminds one of a porter, but the coffee notes quickly embalm you so that nothing else gets in. The middle is actually even kind of sweet - like coffee with sugar and a touch of cream. Finish is long and bitter...like cold coffee. There is even the same coffee like aftertaste. The price and ABV put this beer in the "don't bother" category...

What I like most: Sofia Vergara's profile...

What I like least: any movie with Meryl Streep in it...

Verdict: (See what I did there? I used non-sequiturs to highlight the fact that this beer is not really like a beer)...

I was intrigued by the style when I first spotted it on the shelf and I had a good experience with the IPA but this one leaves alot to be desired. Has a very strong coffee smell upon the initial pour and that translates over your tastebuds on the fist sip. One of the disappointing issues I found is that flavour is lost upon successive drinks unless you allow some time to pass between quaffs. It also contains a strong citrus flavor in the background which I'm attributing to the yeast strain. This brew, without the "coffee flavouring", seems like it would be a formidable beer but definitely NOT a porter.

poured into my duvel tulip glass, poured a thin black with a two finger head that rises to the top and quickley goes down to a thin lacing around the rim of the glass, the smell is coffiee and hops, the taste is a sightly sour malt with coffiee and some baking coco then a huge rush of grassey bitter hops, the beer is wattery at best and thers not enough hops in the mix. just an avrage offering

3.02/5  rDev -20.1%

Pours a deep dark brown, almost black. One-finger tan head. This does have a coffee aroma, but not as strong as I expected. The smell is sort of overpowered by a sickeningly burnt brown sugar scent. There's just a hint of malt.

Luckily, the sugars in the smell don't carry over much in the taste. The flavor is mainly black coffee with hints of toasted malts & mocha. The mouthfeel is thick & smooth at first, but then there's a kind of dryness at the end.

Overall, just an OK Porter, that's a little too filling for the style.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Bottle from Kingdom Liquors, Brandon, FL. And what a bottle it is - very shiny and uniquely shaped. I'd be lying if I said the bottle wasn't the main reason I bought this beer. Anyway, poured into a 14 oz. tulip.

Appearance: My god, where's the beer. This beer is all head, all the time - it takes about 7 or 8 mini pours with up to 2 minutes of downtime in between before I can get most of the bottle out. The head is fluffy, soft-looking, almost cloud-like, and has great staying power. The carbonation that you can see climbing up the sides of the glass to join the head is - you guessed it - incredibly active and fast. Let's hope this isn't a bad bottle. I'll give it a 4.0, 'cause even though it's sort of annoying, it's nice looking.

Aroma: Incredibly earthy and smoky. Bitter coffee grounds are evident, but so are the distinct, pungent odors of leather and tobacco, like a really old cigar. Very strange.

Taste: Hmmm. Methinks this one may be infected. Tart green apple and other funky sour notes mingle with a mild roast of earthy, citrusy coffee, other largely dry toasted malts, a few leafy hop flourishes. Whew.

Mouthfeel: Huge, bubbly, way too carbonated, and incredibly uneven as a result.

Drinkability: Well that's what I get for being attracted to neat-looking bottles. It seems like there's a really good coffee porter in here somewhere, buried under some funk. Alas, this one was capped tight, and bad a best before date of March 11th, 2011. The pricetag - $4.69 for a 12 oz. bottle - is steep enough such that I may have trouble trying this one again too. A shame.

3.06/5  rDev -19%

(Served in a nonic)

A- This beer has a clear but dense reddish-brown body with a strong carbonation of tiny bubbles and a rocky light tan head that last for most of the beer.

S- There is soft notes cold stale coffee and brown malt with a dark nougat note. The finish is a fresh brown malt and plastic smell.

T- The taste of cold stale coffee has some notes of brown malt followed by a finish of coffee grounds.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a watery texture.

D- The coffee is big and stale and the malt taste reminds me of a weak American bock. The flavor is not that impressive but the head last and last. I’m not sure I want to commit to the big bottles of Meantime but I’m glad they only sell this in a small bottle. That is enough.

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%

A--Pours a near black shade of brown that has a faint red hue when held to the light. Less than a finger of head in my snifter, and it recedes pretty quickly and leaves no lacing.

S--Roasted malts, whole coffee beans, citrus, vanilla, hazelnut. Very unique smell, big and roasty.

T--This is weird. I don't know how to describe it really...there is a coffee roastiness that just seems empty. I imagine that if somehow a whole coffee bean was gutted out leaving only the outer shell, this is what it would taste like if you ate it. Not off-putting, but awkward and definitely missing something. The definition of average.

M--Watery, definitely could use a bit more body.

D--I don't even want to finish this bottle because I feel like I'm wasting my time. Take out the wonderful smell and this beer isn't even worth trying really. Mediocrity defined.

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

From the 33 ml bottle with a lot number of L8196M20. Sampled on July 20, 2009. It pours a handsome brown-black with a creamy tan head that remains about 3 mm thick on top throughout the sampling. The aroma packs a pungent punch of coffee grinds and hops. The mouthfeel is about medium texture. The taste is difficult to pin down since it is rather unusual. I would call it burnt coffee grinds and sour or overripe fruit. The flavor was not its best attribute and I expect I will never buy this again.

3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured from 11.2 oz bottle into a Delirium Tremens snifter. Beer was dark brown in color with a light brown, creamy head. Moderate carbonation and heavy lacing around the glass.

Aroma was fresh coffee beans, slightly bitter and earthy.

Taste was rich, moderately bitter coffee. Not as complex or balanced as I had hoped for. Still, not bad either.

There are certainly better coffee beers out there. This one was a little too unbalanced and one dimensional for me.

3.13/5  rDev -17.2%

A: Dark brown with some ruby hints. Big tan head that lasted well with good lacing.

S: I'm thinking maybe COFFEE! And that's about it...

T: Not quite so much coffee on the taste, but still about the only thing I could taste. Seemed quite sweet though - no bitterness.

M: Seemed very nice, smooth and creamy.

D: Couldn't imagine drinking more than one of these in a session - I very quickly tired of the coffee taste and was glad to finish it to be honest.

Notes: 330 ml bottle poured into an Imperial Pint Glass. BBE 04/11/11.

3.17/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

A: Beautiful black poor. Very dark and thick looking. No light, no haze. Good, lasting head that sticks around for a bit but is gone after 5-10 minutes.

S: Smells like it should. Lots of coffee and dark malt. Chocolate, some hazelnut maybe? Very deep and thick smelling.

T: A bit of a letdown here. The coffee and chocolate comes through, but not as strongly or smoothly as one might expect or enjoy.

M: The real letdown is here. What appeared to be a thick, hearty drink throughout turns out very thin and watery. A bit like the homebrews I've made myself. This may be personal preference, but I like my porters thick.

3.17/5  rDev -16.1%

Poured out a very cool looking 11.2oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours dark brown with a bubbly off-white head that hangs around for a little while and leaves no lacing.

The aroma is big on roasted malts and has a very bitter coffee smell to it. Smells of used coffee grinds and a little over-roasted.

The taste is extremely acidic in its coffee bitterness which dominates throughout. There are roasted malts in the background but they fade into an extremely dry and bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is light bodied with lots of carbonation and comes across a little watery.

I was really looking forward to trying this one as I enjoyed the London Porter, but I was a little disappointed. I love coffee beers and this one is just too bitter and acidic for my liking.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

Appears black with a dark, crimson hue when held up to the light. A large, light tan head slowly fades into a foamy cap. Tons of lacing is left scattered around the glass.
Smell is of obvious coffee up front. A touch of cocoa, vanilla, caramel, and cream are found behind the heavily coffee laden brew.
Where the aromas leave, the flavors drop off terribly with a near sour (cherries), lactose sweetness that is overbearing. Any remnants of this being a nicely flavored beer just goes awry with a tingling sweetness up front leading to a sour, concord grape like flavor that just isn't what I was looking for.
Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied, tannic, acidic, tart, astringent.

3.18/5  rDev -15.9%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a brown color and a slightly cloudy consistency. There was an inch of off white, somewhat long-lasting head. Middling lacing.

S: A lot of coffee in aroma, as you might expect, with a little bit of malt as well. A little top heavy.

T: Like the aroma, the flavor was geared too heavily towards the coffee. There was a bit of malt and a hint of chocolate, but it seemed way off kilter. Also, there was a thinness to the flavor that wasn't attractive.

M: A good amount of carbonation with a thin finish. Medium-bodied.

O: This is really kind of a misfire. There are certainly worse porters out there, but none so out of balance.

3.19/5  rDev -15.6%

4 finger soda-pop head that does cling as it falls away. Head is light-caramel or tan over a crystal clear dark brown liquid. Smells overcooked coffee, mild chocolate, and winterfresh. Imagine a rich coffee bean that dried out from sun-bleaching. Woody roast.

Tastes coffee with strong supporting malt sweet. On the front of the tongue, this beer is delicious. Wet up front, but dry wen moved to the backof the mouth. Little bit of sour from roast grains or the coffee that is amplified by the carbonation, which is stronger than I would have liked. Like a rich wonderfully complex coffee that's been on the burner a bit longer than you'd like. Somewhat astringent and thin in the finishing flavors. Sour becomes just too prominent in the end as I continue with the beer.

Md mouthfeel is appropriate, but carbonation doesn't really work for me. Large bubbles foam up on the tongue in a soapy manner.

3.2/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown body, when held to a light a more amber color emerges. My first thought is the color is far too light for the style. I have to keep in mind we are talking about an English Porter, which does validate the color. Slim white head set atop, dissipates very quickly after the pour. Lacing is spotty at best.

The aroma is loaded with but not dominated by coffee. Medium roasted coffee gives way to a nutty roasted aroma. Semisweet chocolate is settled behind and rather subtle. The aroma is generally sweet with just enough roasted characteristics to balance.

The flavor comes off as a half ice coffee half porter blend. The flavors you would expect are apparent but seem diluted. Pale malt sweetness, and a chocolaty flavor are picked up first. The flavor moves towards more of a caramel flavor mid palate before giving way to the darker roasted flavors. The coffee, which I imagined would be dominate up front, is one of the last flavors to appear but does linger long enough to justify the Coffee Porter name. I am not terribly pleased with the weak flavors but the progression of the flavors that are there are quite nice.

Light to medium bodied, honestly a bit watered down. The carbonation is low and not doing the beer any favors. The sweet flavors along side the coffee linger just a bit making for a medium finish.

The best thing this beer has going for it, outside the cool bottle, is the drinkability. While I am rather unimpressed by the offering as a whole, it does drink easily. There is nothing offensive about the beer, it just fails to live up to my expectations. I am glad to have tried it and glad to have the bottle, it will come in good use for homebrews. I would not advise anyone to avoid this beer but I cannot really recommend it.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from an 11.2 oz bottle into nonic pint glass.

A - Very dark brown, almost opaque, with light coming in on the edges. A HUGE brown head forms, 4+ fingers and takes a few minutes to die down. Patchy film remains, decent lacing. A very pretty beer.

S - Coffee coffee coffee. There's a slightly sour aroma with just a hint of dark chocolate. An elusive metallic aroma lurks as well.

T - For the most part, this brew tastes of strong, black coffee. Late palate a pleasant hint of roastiness and dark chocolate add some depth to the overwhelming coffee flavor. Finish is full of a lemony-sourness that lingers with bitter coffee/roasted notes. It's so completely overloaded with coffee that nothing else can pull through, and very little, if any, "beer character" remains. Literally like drinking a cold, sparkling coffee. Very, very dry.

M - Medium bodied. Carbonation starts out small but by the swallow has grown to a moderate to high level really accentuating the sourness and blocking out any trace of sweetness.

D - I'm having a difficult time drinking this. The in-your-face coffee is too much and there's nothing to balance out or compliment this flavor.

This was a very interesting experience. Overall I didn't really like this beer, though I can appreciate what it's trying to be. Still, it's very intense, largely one dimensional, devoid of standard malt character, and more sour than it needs to be.

3.21/5  rDev -15.1%

The beer poured black with a cream head. The head lingered, and there was some nice lacing on my glass. The smell and the flavor were weak. I can taste coffee. I can taste roasted malt. All the flavors I expect are there, they're just weaker than I would like. The beer goes down easily.

3.22/5  rDev -14.8%

This beer's strength is it's smell. It smells like a fresh, strong-brewed pot of coffee. Makes me want to pair it with a hearty stew or a plate of bacon. But the taste doesn't come through. It's not terrible by any means, but there's a sparkling mouthfeel that's almost reminiscent of champagne. There's a slight sour taste, and I'm missing the bitterness prevalent in most coffee beers. It lacks body, which is disappointing. A shame - this beer had so much promise from that wonderful aroma.

3.22/5  rDev -14.8%

A - Deep red/brown colour. Head gone extremely fast but started off tan before it fizzed away. Medium carbonation.

S - Lot's of fresh coffee, roastiness, and a sweet cola element.

T - More fresh coffee but that's mostly pushed away by lot's more cola and a small amount of roastiness. Maybe it's just me but Porters always end up having that cola aspect that turns me off right away, thank goodness it was there with other elements making it drinkable.

M - Really fills the mouth nicely. Really smooth with not too much carbonation.

D - OK drinkability but that cola flavour is something I'd have trouble getting past. Half of one was enough and I wouldn't try to get my hands on any more.

3.23/5  rDev -14.6%

Picked up a single at Wilburs in Ft. Collins for about $3.

A: Poured a nice chocolate brown color with an off white head, about half an inch thick, very little if any head retention on this one. Fairly opaque, red accents when held to the light.

S: Very heavy on the coffee, day old coffee grounds, a few hints of milk chocolate hidden underneath. For the most part this one is dominated by coffee.

T: Absolutely dominated by the coffee flavor, pretty standard dark roast coffee flavors, entirely one sided, very few if any malt flavors, a slight hint of chocolate, but it is hidden very deep in there. leaves a somewhat bitter/skunky coffee aftertaste as well. little if any hop characteristic. Not very balanced, and entirely one dimensional.

M: Thin, relatively nice carbonation, slight alcohol warmth, dry coffee-like finish.

D: A little too much coffee to be drinkable, a little extreme and on the not so much of a beer side of the spectrum. An interesting take on the style, but as I said before, just too much coffee, it really pushes everything around.

Coffee Porter from Meantime Brewing Company Limited